Disclaimer: I own nothing except my brain, and that's even debatable ;)***

A/N: A nod to Vic Noir for her truly wonderful story The Yellow Rose of SunnyD and the inspiration for this story. Also to Fauvistfly for the title inspiration. :D






William Rose stood in the dusty street squinting up against the harsh California sun at the wooden sign proclaiming The Gold Rush Saloon. *Ah a rose by any other name. * He thought to himself poetically before shaking his head at himself, *would be called a whorehouse mate. A bloody flesh-trading depot. * Why the hell Buffy Anne wouldn’t leave this place was unbeknownst to him but come hell or high water he was makin sure once he left again, with or without her, he never came back.


Pulling his black cowboy hat low over his eyes he took a deep breath and pushed through the swinging saloon doors and into the noisy din. Letting his eyes adjust to the darkened interior William realized that nothing had changed since his last foray into this miserable town and into this life-altering place. Tables were still scattered haphazardly throughout the room all with folks drinking or gambling or just dead passed out. The bar still ran the length of the room at the back wall, it's huge mirror reflecting the interior back to the barkeep so he could keep a watchful eye on the comings and
goings of the patronage. The bottles of whiskey and ale still ran under the mirror and a double-barreled shotgun still hung within easy reach for any outbreaks of drunken disorderliness.

And the girls. The girls hadn't changed one bit. There they stood artfully draped on the stairway banister to the second floor landing, their outfits tasteful but still provocative, in all their glory. First came the self appointed guardian Faith. A dark haired fiery beauty with a bad attitude but a real wildcat in the sack. The delicate seeming Druscilla, with her pale skin and luminous eyes, *wonder if she still talks 'bout pixies? * Anya, the brazen minx with an insatiable lust for sex. Beauty, brains and imagination all wrapped up in a tight little package. The soft rounded curves and toffee colored hair
and eyes of Miss Tara McClay, a man could sink into her and never want to leave, all sweet smiles and shy glances. And then last but not least, the flaming red beauty of Willow. She, of the lovely green eyes that sparkled with intelligence and good humor, he'd spent many an evening just talking to her and nothing more, silently wishing for a better life for them all.

"Well if it isn't the wild, wicked Billy Rose." Faith called out loudly drawing attention to the totally black clad figure still standing in the doorway. "Surprised to see you here Billy thought the last time woulda had you never setting foot in these parts again. Am I right girls?"

The girls behind her murmured in agreement as William walked over to the bottom of the steps, "Ladies" and tipped his hat to them all.

"Where is she Faith?" He asked after a beat looking up into her chocolate eyes. "Where's Buffy Anne?"

"She's busy." Faith smirked placing her hand on one out thrust hip staring down at him petulantly."She's got a customer, ain't that right girls?"

William looked over the other girls to see if what Faith had said held any water, but the slight shake of Willows head, and the direction Tara indicated with her eyes said otherwise.

Taking the first step determinedly he was stopped by Druscilla moving next to Faith in front of him.

"I knew you'd come back for her sweet William, " Druscilla said fluttering one hand down onto Faiths bared shoulder and curling one long raven lock around her slender finger as she spoke dreamily, "The pixies told me. They tell me all sorts of wicked things.” She giggled a bit insanely before pinning him with her burning eyes her momentary lapse gone, “ A game....you've come to play a game to win our mistress’ heart isn't that right?"






Ok folks this is my first attempt at a western Spuffy so be kind and let me know how you like it? I'd be all happy and stuff. :D