Dedicated to William Rose's faithful followers: Pattyanne, Isabel, Shippy, Buffy and Spike Forever, Starshine and Sluggie. Love you guys...........
*********************************************************************************




“I don’t know if you remember the first time I came into town but I was a mean son of a bitch. Beaten down, angry, and drunk most of the time. Not a good combination in my profession you might say.” William leaned back onto the pillows nursing a whiskey and telling Faith his story. “Was wanted at the time for burnin’ down m’old man’s house but that was mostly cause he was pissed I came to America and indulged in what he called “less than savory” acts.

Faith laughs and William grins imagining his father’s face when he got the cable that his only son, heir to the Barony of Dorchester was a gambler and a card shark. “He must have been right pissed about that.”

Faith smiled pulling her long legs up under her sitting Indian style on the bed, “So you burned a trail here huh?”

William stopped mid drink and nodded, “First time I ever saw Buffy was the first day I was here in this dust bin. Cor…she was so beautiful, sittin’ side saddle on a huge black horse, the mornin’ sun shinin’ off of her golden hair like an angel’s halo,” takes a sip, “Bloody beautiful she was, still is.”

Faith nodded getting caught up in the story herself, “Hey wait a minute Billy, you burned down your fathers house?” She blinked at him a saucy grin in place, “Damn you’re more wicked than I thought, maybe I’ll have to give you another chance.” She said winking at him satisfied to see him blush just a bit. *Not to wicked obviously. *

William chuckled before answering, “No pet, I did not burn down the old man’s house, he was just tryin’ any means necessary to get me back to England. See it just doesn’t do to have the black sheep of the family be the only living son. It’s in bad form and all that rot.”

Faith nodded poking him with her foot, “So you came here, saw Buffy and….”

“And I fell in love in that same instance. However the feelin’ was not mutual. She didn’t want anything to do with me at all so I did what I do naturally and became a bloody thorn in her side until she did want somethin’ to do with me.” He winks at Faith with the sly grin that made most women’s hearts skip a beat. “Found out she worked here, made this m’home away from home if you would, and pestered her till she finally had to talk to me.”


“I spent all my bleedin’ time ‘ere, as you well know, playin’ cards, talkin’ with Xander just makin’ my ‘ome here. But I still couldn’t get Buffy to admit that there was somethin’ between us, somethin’ powerful. Not until that wanker Angel O’Reilly showed ‘is face in town.”

Faith shuddered as Angel cruel face swam through her memories. Being on the receiving end of his anger whenever Buffy spurned his advances, the bruises had long faded but the emotional pain was still as deep as ever. Reaching out to place a hand on Williams arm she said softly, “did I ever thank you William? For patching me up so Buffy wouldn’t see? For killing the bastard?” Her chocolate eyes glazing over slightly with tears as she offered him a tremulous smile.

Resting his own roughened and callused hand over hers he just nodded, “You do me an injustice pet, ‘m not the man you think, but I thank you all the same.”

Faith smiled at him knowing that he was who she thought but he had to believe in himself first. He was a good man, and while it was true when he had first come to Sunnydale he was a bastard in every sense of the word, he had changed. Something had changed him.

Faith nodded gesturing for him to continue stealing the drink out of his hand and taking a long drink off of it and fluttering her eyelashes at him making him chuckle as he stole it back.

“Minx….” He said teasingly before continuing, “So anyways, I watched that wanker sniff around her tryin to make what was mine his once again.” At Faiths quizzical look he told her, “Knew him before, had a girl named Cecily in New York when I came to America. Cor she was lovely, pale skin and dark curls. But extremely snobbish and very self absorbed. She changed a lot though, when I met ‘er. Became a woman I could fall in love with. But then Angelus got to her when I was courting her. Had it in my mind to marry her and make ‘er my bride, but Angel changed all that. Made her believe I was the devil incarnate pushed her ‘round the bend, she ended up in a monastery with the good sisters whispering I that I was gonna put a spike through ‘er head.” He shook his head sadly remembering his poor Cecily.

“Seems I became some sort of obsession with Angel. He’s followed me wherever I go. Was only a matter of time that he found me out here.”

Taking another long swallow of the whiskey, he lay his head back against the wall his blue eyes focused on something in his past. “Didn’t find out why till I killed him.”

Faith kept wisely silent sensing that he had some painful memories that pertained to Angel and now wasn’t the time to be asking questions.

“I don’t know how they kept it a secret for so long, and the fact that they never told me, never even acknowledged him as ….”His voice trailed off again before he turned and pinned his gaze on Faith his eyes wracked with pain. “He was my brother Faith, my goddamned brother.”




A/N: Reviews make me do the happy dance :D