Chapter Nine

They wake up at nine the next morning.

“ Good morning, luv.”

“ Good morning, honey. Are you ready to get up?”

“ No, but we have to so we can go to Cleveland.”

“ Okay. Lets get up and shower. Then we can eat and find out when we are leaving.”

“ Okay.” They get out of bed, gather their clothes and go into the bathroom. Spike turns on the shower as Buffy puts the clothes on the counter. They both get into the shower. Spike tries not to act on his hormones because they need to shower quickly. They get dress and head to the kitchen. They both get a bowl of cereal, then go into the dining room. Willow and Kennedy are eating already.

“ Hey, guys.”

“ Hi, Buffy, Spike. What's up?”

“ Not much. Spike and I want to know when you want to go home today, since we have to drive back.”

“ How about in an hour. That way we can say our goodbyes. But Kenne and I already got us tickets to fly home, so we don’t have to drive.”

“ Okay, Will. When is the flight at?”

“ Any time today. The airline said it is slow in the morning. We figure we say goodbye and catch the 11:00 flight. We would get to Cleveland by 3:00. Who can we have pick us up? We need someone who won't tell anyone when we arrive that Spike is with us.”

“ What about Dawn? She already knows about Spike and she did just get her license. I’m sure Giles wouldn’t mind if I told him that I want just her to pick us up.”

“ Whoa, Nibblet got her license? Isn’t she a little young, honey?”

“ Well, she is young but we need as many people that can drive as we can get. We’ve all driven with her.”

“ She’s better than Buffy was at her age.” Buffy shoots Willow a nasty look for bringing that up. Willow just smirks at her.

“ She is a good driver, Spike. A bunch of us got our licenses at the same time so there is nothing to worry about. If there is any problem Buffy, Willow, or I can drive. That way you won't get confused. We’ll just have her come to the airport and go from there.”

“ Thanks, Kennedy. I'm sure she’ll be fine, but it is good that we have you guys, because she might be too excited. Buffy, I am going to talk to Angel. Make sure you call Giles and tell him to tell Dawn that she needs to pick us up.” He kisses her cheek. Spike grabs his bowl and puts it in the kitchen, then goes to find Angel. Buffy turns to Willow.

“ We can't let the others know yet. Spike wants to shock them.”

“ Okay, Buffy. Kennedy and I will keep our mouths shut.” Buffy pulls out her cell. She calls Giles’ cell.

“ Hello?”

“ Giles? It’s me.”

“ Hello, Buffy. Is everything okay?”

“ Yeah, Giles. I need Dawn to pick us up from the airport by herself.”

“ What do you mean ‘us’, Buffy?”

“ Willow and Kennedy are here with me. I called Willow to ask for some help and then she came to L.A. There is also a new Slayer here. I have her here and she is coming back with us.”

“ Okay, I’ll have Dawn there. What time does she have to be there and what flight?”

“ I'm not sure yet. Willow got the tickets. I’ll call with the rest of the information.”

“ Okay, Buffy. Have a safe flight and I’ll see you soon.”

“ See you soon too, Giles. Bye.” Buffy hangs up and puts her bowl in the kitchen. She heads to the lobby.

*************************************************

Angel is in the lobby sitting with Cordelia. Spike walks over to them.

“ Hi, Spike.”

“ Hi, Cordelia, Angel. Just wanted to let you know that we are leaving today. Angel, do you think you could let Wes use your car to drive us to the airport. I would ask you but daylight and all that.”

“ Sure, Spike. When are you guys leaving?”

“ About forty-five minutes. Thanks, Angel. I guess I better find Wes so that he knows.”

“ He’s in the office, Spike. Angel and I are going to tell everyone about us today.”

***********************************************

Buffy stops at the door to the lobby and listens to Spike's conversation.

***********************************************

“ Good for you two. I mean it when I say I am happy for the two of you, even if I hate you, peaches.”

“ Yeah, yeah, Spike. Just take care of her and everyone else. I know that it might be hard because you are just human, but you're more. You're skilled in many ways and I know that you love her and her family. Now you have the family you longed for and I know that you can be happy as long as you remember why you are here. You do know why you are here, right?”

“ I'm not really sure. I think because I am supposed to be with Buffy. Could we be soul mates, Angel?”

“ Of course. Why did you get your soul in the first place?”

“ Buffy.”

“ Do you think that The Powers could have destined for you to get your soul back for that reason?”

“ Well, I think they destined for me to get the soul to be the one to wear the amulet, but I never thought of it that way. I need to talk to Giles. But thanks again. You are really a great help, Angel, even if you are still a poofter.”

“ Don’t push your luck, William. I may be a vampire, but I could still kick your ass if I had to.”

“ Yeah, sure, peaches. Only if I was drunk. Wait, even if I was drunk I could kick your ass! So only in your dreams could you kick my ass, but you shouldn’t be dreaming about that anyways. You should be dreaming about Cordy.” He shoots Cordy a sarcastic look.

“ Okay, Spike, you’ve had your fun. Isn’t there a female waiting for you?”

“ Yeah, but I won't see Dawn until three.” Angel raises an eyebrow to Spike. “ I'm only kidding, Angel.”

“ You better be, Spike. I don’t want to compete with my sister. It would be just like the RJ incident.” Spike turns around at the sound of Buffy’s voice.

“ How much did you hear?” She walks over to him.

“ Enough. You will continue to surprise me, Spike. How are we getting to the airport?”

“ Wes is driving us. You need to tell Ally she has fifteen minutes to get her stuff down here. I want all the luggage in the lobby fifteen minutes til ten.”

“ Okay, honey. I am going back to the room after that.”

“ I’ll meet you there.” He makes sure she is up the stairs before he continues to talk to Angel and Cordelia. “ Angel, how am I going to be a husband? I know I want to be Buffy’s husband, but can I really do it?”

“ Spike, you can do anything you want. I am sure that you love Buffy enough that it will be instinct that gets you through being a husband. Just imagine how much worst it is going to be when you become a dad.”

“ I know, Angel. I love her deeply, but can you actually see me married?”

“ Yes, I can, Spike. All a marriage is, is a little piece of paper saying that you will be there for each other and love each other for as long as you will live. You’ve already proven that. This is just another way to show Buffy how much she means to you.”

“ I hate to say it, but you do make sense. I guess I should listen to my heart more. I’ll see you guys later.” He walks t the office. Wes is hovering over a book with his back to the door. Spike decides that he is going to be sneaky. He walks quietly to stand behind Wes. Spike gently taps him on the shoulder. Wes jumps from being startled.

“ Spike! What can I help you with?”

“ We need you to drive us to the airport in thirty minutes. Angel already said it’s alright to us his car.”

“ Sure, I’ll drive the five of you there.”

“ Thanks. Can you have the car in front in fifteen minutes so that I can load it, Wes?”

“ Sure, Spike. I’ll have it in fifteen. See you later.”

“ See ya.” Spike heads out of the office and over to the stairs. Willow and Kennedy are in the lobby heading for the stairs as well. Spike meets up with them.

“ Will, Kenne, wait up.”

“ What's up, Spike?”

“ I need you guys to have your stuff down here in fifteen minutes. I want to get the car packed ASAP.”

“ Okay, Spike. We’ll have our stuff down.” They walk up the stairs. Willow and Kennedy head towards their room while Spike heads in the other direction to his room. When he walks in, he sees Buffy lying on the bed. He walks over and sits on the edge, next to her. He kisses her forehead and entwines his fingers with hers.

“ Hey.” Buffy yawns.

“ Hey. You taking a nap on me?”

“ No, just resting my eyes. Is everything setup for us to leave?”

“ Yes. Wes agreed to drive us. Everyone has ten minutes to get their stuff downstairs. So, what do you want to do for the next ten minutes?”

“ Don’t know. Where is Dawn’s necklace?”

“ In my laptop case.” He moves to get it. “ I put it in there so that I can give it to her when we get there. I can't wait to see her.” He sits back down.

“ I know, honey.” Buffy sits up and leans against his back, looking over his shoulder. “ She misses you too. I'm sure she is excited that she is picking us up alone. How are we going to be sitting when she’s driving?” he puts the laptop case on the bed.

“ I don’t know. All I know is that you are sitting with me.” Spike grabs Buffy and moves her to his lap. “ I don’t even want to let you out of my sight. I dream so much that I always have the fear that I will wake up and this has never happened. I can't imagine losing you again.”

“ I know, honey. We have to try to keep each other from losing the other.” She kisses him. “ Now, lets take our stuff downstairs.”

“ Sure, baby.” They gather all the stuff that is packed and take it downstairs. The others have already brought their stuffy down. They out the stuff dawn as Wes comes over to them.

“ Spike, the car is out front. I’ll help you load it.”

“ That’s okay, Wes. Spike and I can handle it.”

“ Are you sure? I can always help.”

“ We’re fine, Wes. Why don’t you go hangout with Ally? I'm sure she will have some questions for you to answer.”

“ Okay.” Wes leaves them. Spike gathers most of the luggage and Buffy grabs the rest and they go outside. Everything is placed on the sidewalk, then Buffy opens the trunk.

“ We should probably put the weapons inside.”

“ Yeah. Lets just put them on the sidewalk, then take them inside after we load the car.”

“ Okay.” They load the car quickly, then take the weapons inside. They have ten minutes left before they leave so they say their goodbyes, then wait in the car.

Willow, Kennedy, and Ally are saying goodbye to everyone. Willow goes up to Cordy.

“ Cordy, did you and Angel… um… sleep together yet?”

“ What do you mean?”

“ I mean, did you and Angel have sex yet? I need to know because of his soul.”

“ Yeah, we did, Willow. The night when we watched the movies is when it happened. And I thought my previous boyfriends were amazing! And did I just say that out aloud?!”

“ Yeah, you did, but I won't hold it against you. Here is my cell.” Willow hands her a slip of paper with the number on it. “ If anything happens call me, okay?”

“ Okay, Willow. Have a safe trip back and tell Xander and Giles I said hi.”

“ Okay, Cordy.” Willow hugs Cordy, then goes out to the car. Everyone is already in the car. Buffy, Spike and Ally are in the back, while Wes and Kennedy are in the front. Willow climbs in next to Kennedy.

“ Lets go, Wes. We want to get there soon.”

“ Sure, Buffy.” Wes drives off. They get to the airport in forty minutes.

“ Willow, you got the tickets?”

“ I have to go to the desk to get them.”

“ Willow, you do that while we get everything unloaded. Spike go with her just in case.”

“ Okay, honey. Lets go, Will. The sooner we get the tickets the sooner we get to see Giles and Xander’s reaction to me being alive and human.” They head to the flight desk.

“ That’s is going to be great. Xander can’t call you Deadboy jr. anymore, so we get to find out his new name for you.’

“ Gee, and I was happy to be going. Now I'm not so sure. Hey I can still use all his old names.” They got in line.

“ Yeah, you can, Spike. See there is a bright side. And remember, Giles is going to want to write this down.”

“ Well, just as along as I am not away from Buffy long. I really love her. Did she tell you she said she loves me before the town was destroyed?”

“ No, she didn’t. How do you fell about that?”

“ I was happy when I died. I knew she would have a hard time dealing, so I told her she didn’t mean it but thanked her for saying it. I knew she really did, but every male in her life except Giles and Xander had left her. That is almost every man that she loved and I didn’t want her to feel like I left her. She knew not everyone was going to make it. She just thought that I would be alive after the battle. I never wanted to hurt her and I still did. Whether it was physical or emotional, I hurt her so many times. I really, really don’t want to lose her.”

“ Spike, listen to me. I've been Buffy's best friend for seven years. I can honestly tell you that she has always loved you. Remember when she had that date with Robin?” Spike indicates with a nod of his head. “ I told her that it was good to see her going on a date with the intention that she needed a break from being the Slayer. You know what she said before I told her it was intended on the break? She said, word for word, ‘ why does everyone think I am still in love with Spike’. There was also the times she would be asked why she was trying to save you from the first. She would always stumble, then say it was complicated. I've seen the way she acted when she was in love with Angel. She acts the same way with you, but more intimate, more intense. With you, Buffy has been the happiest that I have ever seen her. She is herself with you. She was always the Slayer, but more importantly she was Buffy when she was with you. I am happy that you came back and are in Buffy's life. If she did ever move on, if you didn’t come back, she would probably end up with someone like Riley. I know we both don’t want that. I'm sure that you two will be together for a long time and will be very happy in the time you have together.”

“ Thanks, Willow.” They reach the counter. Willow talks to the attendant.

“ Hi. I have five tickets for a flight to Cleveland.”

“ Yes, ma’am. What are the names?”

“ They’re under Willow Rosenberg.” The attendant types it into the computer.

“ That’s five coach tickets on a non-stop flight to Cleveland. Can I have the other four names?”

“ Kennedy Miller, Ally Baker, Buffy Summers, and Spike…” She turns to Spike.

“ Taylor. T.A.Y.L.O.R. How much would it be to upgrade them to first class?”

“ That would be five hundred all together, sir.” Willow looks at Spike.

“ Spike, you don’t have to do that.” He pulls out his wallet.

“ It’s alright, Willow. I want to upgrade them. I have more than enough money.” He hands the attendant the money. She types in the upgrade. The attendant hands Willow the tickets. They head back to the others.

“ Well, Spike. When did you come into all this money?”

“ I’ve always had it. Just never used it. Remember I was a vampire. I had to keep my evil rep.” They walk up to the others. Spike kisses Buffy.

“ Okay, so I got the tickets.” Willow hands them out. Buffy looks at hers and sees that it’s a first class ticket.

“ Willow, why is it first class? You know we can't afford it.”

“ I didn’t put them as first class. That was your fiancé. He upgraded them.” Buffy turns to Spike.

“ Why did you do that, Spike?”

“ Just thought it would be nice. Last time I was on a plane I was in where they store the luggage. Thought we could travel in style this time.”

“ You are so sweet, Spike.” She hugs and kisses him. She turns around and leans her back on him. He wraps his arms around her waist and hooks his chin over her shoulder. “ Well, I guess this is goodbye, Wes. We’ll see you in August. Take care of yourself.”

“ Will do, Buffy. Spike, make sure you take care of yourself and your new family.”

“ It isn’t really new, but I will.”

“ Well, all of you have a safe trip.”

“ Thanks, Wes. See you soon.” Wes gets in the car and drives away. They all grab their stuff and take it to baggage check in. Everything but Spike's laptop, a bag of Willow’s and the bag with the cd players in it were checked in. they head to the gate, get on the plane and take off. Buffy and Spike sit next to each other and Willow, Kennedy, and Ally sit together across the aisle. Buffy pulls out her cd player, while Spike works on his laptop. The tray is position so that Spike comfortably and Buffy can lie in his lap. Buffy has fallen asleep with Spike unconsciously stroking her hair. Spike decides to make her a mix cd. He recorded a message last night for the cd. He clicks on it and listens to it. The songs he is putting on the cd are, in order:


For You - The Calling
Fire - Ghost Of The Robot
Girl All The Bad Guys Want - Bowling For Soup
Amazed - Lonestar
Vampires In Love - Marvelous 3
Ghost Of You - BBMac
I’d Do Anything - Simple Plan
I Do (Cherish You) - 98 Degrees
Just What I Need - Rufus King
Everywhere - Michelle Branch
Everything I Do - Bryan Adams
I Surrender - Celine Dion
Miss You More - BBMac
Angel - Ghost Of The Robot
Addicted - Simple Plan
Why Can't I - Liz Fhair
Hold My Heart - Michelle Branch
Unstoppable - The Calling
More Than Words - BBMac
Naked - Avril Lavinge

Spike puts them in that order with his message first and burns the cd. He takes out a marker and labels the cd ‘Buffy’s cd’. He puts it in her cd player, that way when she wakes up she will hear it right away. Spike puts his laptop away and takes out his cd player. He listens to the Linkin Park cd. Twenty minutes later Buffy wakes up. She looks at Spike and sees him listening to music with his eyes closed. His head bobs to the beat. Buffy shifts and lies back down. Spike tightens his arms around her. Buffy presses the play button on her cd player, expecting to hear The Calling, instead she hears Spike's message.

“ Buffy, I love you so much that there aren’t enough words to describe what I feel when I'm with you. I hope theses songs can say it better that I can. Never doubt my love. Spike.”

The first song starts playing. Buffy leans closer to him and listens to the whole cd.