***
I've been searching for a reason
And I'm running out of time
***

Buffy shut her eyes tight as the world spun around her, blurring the scenery and making her nauseous. Her arm shot out and grabbed onto the first thing it felt, which happened to be Spike’s arm. Her manicured fingers dug into his leather clad arm, gripping it in her desperation to have something to hold onto.

And suddenly, they hit the ground with a staggering force. Buffy stumbled for a second before falling backwards, bringing Spike with her. They each landed on their rear ends and moaned, before sitting up and looking around. Most everyone was on the ground; all the Scoobies, yet neither Draco nor Harry nor Mr. Weasley were in the same position as them.

“Hey,” Buffy whined as Spike lifted her to her feet. “Why aren’t you all on your asses?”

“Practice,” Harry explained, brushing imaginary lint off of his cloak.

Buffy rolled her eyes, muttering about ‘stupid wizards’, and Dawn began looking around. “Um,” she said, looking at them with wide eyes. “Where…where are we?”

“This?” Mr. Weasley asked, gesturing around them. “This is the rather infamous, to the wizarding world, Platform 9 ¾. You…can’t really tell, since it is around six in the morning here in England. The sun should be up in a few minutes, and then we’ll be able to board the train.”

They waited the designated time, and then they had to cover their ears when a loud, shrill whistle pierced the air. When it was over, Spike removed his hands and started when he noticed that he was, in fact, the sun.

The sun.

And he wasn’t getting crispy-fried.

***
I can feel that it's the season
It's time to make up my mind
***

“Okay, you berks,” Spike said, and Draco and Harry started for him at the word. “What the bloody hell was that noise and have you forgotten that I’m a vampire, complete with the enhanced hearing? And two, why the hell am I in the sunlight?”

“Well, Mr. Bloody,” Mr. Weasley said, still holding onto the struggling boys. “In answer to your first question, that whistle was the single that we are allowed to begin to board the Hogwarts Express, and no, we have not forgotten of your…condition. And as to your second question, it is merely a spell that Albus had placed on you; it lasts as long as you wish it to, only fading once you say the counter-spell. Now.” He turned around and released the boys, who righted themselves and smoothed down their robes and cloaks. “Let’s board now, before it’s too late.”

---

Buffy sat on the train, gazing out of the window at the station, watching as multiple students bid their families good-bye and boarded the train.


***
And I can't really tell you what I'm going to do
There are so many thoughts in my head
***

“Hullo,” she heard from next to her. She turned her head and met with the steel, guarded eyes of Draco. “What’re you lookin’ at?”

She turned and looked out the window again. “All the people. I never realized how many people there were in the world who are so different, but so like us. I mean, look at you.”

“What about me?”

She shrugged, still not looking at him. “Well, from what I know, you’re one of the most popular people at your school; you’re rich, handsome, but…you also care. Y’know, about others. Why else would you come with Harry to get me? You have to care in order to risk it.”

He turned to stare out the window, and she saw him smile slightly out of the corner of her eye. “Yeah,” he whispered. “I damn well care.”

Their staring was interrupted when the compartment door slid open, revealing two tall, gangly red heads and one bushy-haired girl.

The bushy-haired girl’s eyes narrowed when they came to rest on Draco. “Oh, bloody great. Malfoy’s here. Shouldn’t you be in the Head compartment?”

The blond raised an infuriating eyebrow at her. “First off, Granger, shouldn’t you? Secondly, this is the Head Boy and Head Girl compartment.”

“What?” she said, frowning. “Then why are there…” Her eyes widened and she became excited. “You…you found them?” she asked, her eyes shining. “You actually found the Slayer?”

“Uh,” Buffy said, looking between them. “How come everyone knows who I am?”

“Wow,” said the male red head, crossing over to her and stuck out his hand. “Ron Weasley, and this is my sister, Ginny Weasley.” She placed her hand in his and shook it, smiling to herself when she noticed his eyes roved over her form in appreciation. “So…you’re Buffy?”

“Buffy…yes, Buffy is me. I am Buffy, Slayer of evil.” She smiled brightly at him, taking her hand away and holding it out to the slightly enraged vampire standing in the corner. “And this is my boyfriend, Spike.”

The bleached blond crossed the small space that separated him from his mate, and took her into his arms and nuzzled her neck, all the while glaring at the boy who dared to challenge his claim.

“Ron,” chastised Ginny, slapping his chest. “Stop ogling the Slayer, or she’ll kick your ass.” From the growl that she head emanating from the vampire’s chest, she corrected herself. “Actually, I think the vampire will kick your ass.”

“Vampire?” Ron asked, eyes going wide. He backed away, hands raised in defense. “Hey, mate, ‘m sorry about…yeah.” He took a seat on the far side of the compartment, dutifully not looking in their direction.

Ginny, on the other hand, sat down next to Harry, who immediately wrapped the sixth year up in his arms.

***
There are two roads to walk down
And one road to choose
***

Hermione and Draco, on the other hand, took to separate sides of the compartment, and spent the entire train ride glaring at each other.

After the first few times this occurred, Spike whispered in Buffy’s ear, “What do you want to bet that they end up together?”

“No bet,” she whispered back. “they’re just like us, only they have wands…and my analogy sucks.” She pouted for a moment before saying, “Anyway, they definitely are going to end up together, all that UST…”

His arms tightened around her for a minute as she drifted off, her head laying on his chest.

---

When they were woken up several hours later, they were informed that they were, indeed, at the station, ready to get off the train and travel up to Hogwarts.

And as they stepped off the train, Spike and Buffy’s enhanced vision allowed them to see the silhouette of the castle in the distance, and Buffy’s eyes widened. “Holy shit,” was all she could say before her view was blocked by someone stepping in front of her.

She looked up…up….up…up…holy crap, was this guy for real?

At least ten feet tall, he had a thick, bushy bear that was tangled and curly. A weary face was hidden behind the coarse hair, and the only thing that took all alarm of his appearance right out of Buffy’s mind were the kind twinkling eyes that were placed high above her.

“’allo, there!” he said, bending down to see her properly. “Would ‘ou be Buffy Summers?”

A small squeak was torn out of her throat and she nodded, slightly frightened of this kindred spirit.

“Rubeus Hagrid,” he stated, holding out one massive hand to her. Her small one was immediately engulfed by both of his as he shook her hand. “’ve got orders from Dumbledore. ‘e says ‘m to take ya up to ‘ogwarts with the Firs’ Years. Come along this way.” He turned and walked away, leaving the Scoobies to follow him.

“Jesus,” Buffy whispered to Spike. “He’s tall!”

“Yeah,” Spike said, staring after the half-giant. “That’s kind of…scary.”

Buffy nodded, adjusting her bag before they set off towards the castle.


***
So I'm thinking over the things that you've said
I'm thinking over the things
***

TBC…