On the way to London

By Cara





The Forerunner slid through the Caribbean Sea. On board, was the fiancé of Lord Laddenbarry. The young lady standing at the railing and staring into the night, was promised to him.



Elizabeth Summers loved the Caribbean and would do anything to stay there, but she had no choice in the matter. She had to go to London and marry Lord Laddenbarry.



The night was calm, and the Captain had chosen to weigh anchor and wait for morning.



Elizabeth had to think of a discussion she had with Giles, an old man who was forced to go back to England with her and take care of her. He wasn’t happy about the trip, too, but he had told her one thing: “You need to accept your fate.”



But could she do that? Accept to marry a man she didn’t have the slightest feeling for? No, probably not.



"Can’t sleep?"



Elizabeth turned around to see her friend Anya standing behind her. "No. You?"



Anya walked closer and smiled. "No. I'll miss all this."



Beth looked back at the ocean. "Me, too. I’ll miss the air, the sky, the sea, the sun, the heat, and the......PIRATES?!"



Anya saw it, too. A big ship, sailing right towards them.



"PIRATES!" The girls heard someone shout, and in less than one minute, the whole crew was on deck.



Beth and Anya were taken to the captain's cabin. They couldn’t see the pirates come nearer but they could hear it when the canons were fired.



"They will kill us all, Beth! We...we..."



Beth cut her friend off by putting her finger over Anya´s mouth. "We won’t. Trust me."



She walked towards the door and opened it a bit, just in time to see the first pirates boarding the Forerunner. Beth quickly closed and locked the door. They could hear the fighting outside, the cries of pain and death, the pistol shots and the clang of swords.



Suddenly, someone on the other side tried the door. "Captain! The door's locked! There must be someone in there!" the two girls heard a deep voice say.



"Well, then open it!" was the answer.



With one loud crash, the door swung open. Beth and Anya were roughly pulled out of the cabin. They struggled unsuccessfully, and when they were finally thrown out onto the deck, they stiffened at the sight that greeted them.



There were dead bodies all over the deck. Some were shot some were staped. And everywhere was blood.



"Captain! Look what we found!" one of the men shouted.



A man with sun bleached blond hair walked towards them.



He had blue eyes and looked like he was a real fighter, with high cheekbones and a scar through his left eyebrow. "Take them to my cabin. And be nice. That includes NO touching of any kind!" he said quietly.



"Ay!" the men who'd captured the girls shouted, then wrestled the still struggling women down a ladder and into a small boat, transferring them to the pirate ship.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



"Beth! We can’t get out of here, so stop pacing around the room!" Anya pleaded.



"There must be a way out. And I won’t just sit and wait for that pirate to come in and... I don’t even want to imagine what he will do to us," Elizabeth said.



"I don’t think that he'll do anything to us. He told his men that they mustn’t touch us." Anya said.



Elizabeth thought of the handsome captain. He was a pirate, but he was more then just beautiful, although she would never admit it.



The door suddenly swung open and the captain came in with another man. "Xander," he said, "take Miss..?" The captain looked at Anya, waiting.



"Miss Anya Jenkins" Anya said with a slight smile. Leaning close to Beth, she whispered, "This man beside the captain looks sweet. I think this can be a nice night."



Beth shot her a shocked look.



"Miss Anya," the Captain said. "Take Miss Anya with you, and show her the ship or whatever. Oh, and Xander, be nice."



Xander offered Anya a hand. "If you'll just come with me, Miss Anya?"



Anya took his hand and followed him willingly. Beth watched her friend walk out the door, leaving her alone with the captain.



"I’m William Andrews. And you are....?"



Beth shot him an angry look. "Elizabeth Charlston. My father is governor of..."



"Royal's Island," he said. "So, you're the daughter of George Charlston."



Elizabeth watched him walk over to a desk and sit on the edge of it. "What is your intent by capturing me? Do you want money or land?" Beth asked, trying to control the fear in her voice.



"Nothing like that. I didn’t know that passengers were on board that ship. So, why are you traveling to England, ´Lizbeth?"



"I am engaged to marry Lord... wait, what did you say your name was ?" Beth asked in an excited tone that made him smile.



"William Andrews, Miss Elizabeth."



Elizabeth held her breath. "You are William the Bloody! You've attacked my father’s ships for years, and escaped three times from prison, and... "



William smiled and slowly walked over to Elizabeth. "Heard of me, hm? A fine lady like yourself shouldn’t read pirate stories."



Beth blushed lightly. "I've always been interested in those kind of stories."



"So, you were on the way to your wedding? Well, I guess I should take you to London then."



"NO! I mean... it was an arranged wedding and I'd actually prefer not to marry him. Even if I could think of better company to be in than yours," Beth said.



"Now, now. Don’t be so flip, luv. So... would you like something to eat?"



Beth was nervous at William's nearness. "Why are you being so nice to me? I’m your prisoner, am I not?"



William chuckled. "Passengers are not to be harmed, pet. And I'll enjoy a bit of nice company on board."



The young lady panicked. What did he mean by 'nice company'? "W...what do you mean?"



William realized what she was thinking. "Don’t worry, luv. I mean you, Anya, and this Giles."



Beth smiled "Giles is alive!? Good, and don’t call me love or pet or ...whatever!"



William had to smile. "All right, kitten." He laughed when that made her stamp her foot. "Will you come and dine with me and your friends?"



Beth nodded, and when she passed him she couldn’t resist kicking him in the foot.



William cried out but smiled. She was the only one who had ever had the courage to stand up to him, even when she knew who he was.