CHAPTER 8 - Affirmation

The bell above the door at the Magic Shop tinkled merrily announcing the arrival of another customer to Anya's immense delight. "Good morning…" she began and stopped, the bright smile falling from her face as she saw who entered. "Oh, it's just you, Buffy. Giles is checking stock levels," she informed the blonde and then pasted another smile on her face as the bell tinkled again, her attention already elsewhere.

"Thanks, Anya," Buffy replied dryly, used to the other girl's abrupt manner. She walked down the stairs that led to the basement store room and stood at the bottom looking around the brightly lit place. Various glass containers were set out in orderly rows and the clink of a lid being replaced brought her head swinging around to the right.

"Hey, Giles," she greeted, spying her Watcher.

The older man looked up from the clipboard he held and smiled in welcome. "Hello, Buffy. Everything go alright on patrol last night?"

"Kind of," she said, walking over to the man and idly picking up a jar that contained what looked like shrivelled up prunes. She held it up and turned it around until she could read the label and pulled a disgusted face. "Ugh, Llama tongues! What are they used for?"

"Fertility spells," he replied, ignoring her incredulous look and taking the jar from her hands. Putting it back in its place, he levelled his gaze with her and asked, "Now, what happened last night to cause the amazingly uninformative response of, 'Kind of'?"

Buffy explained about the demon she and Spike had discovered the previous evening as Giles listened in studied silence.

"So," he mused when she came to a finish. "Spike believes that the H'Numkrig was somehow manipulated into killing himself?"

"Yeah, because the body was still there," she confirmed with a nod. "And we were thinking the blood could be needed for a spell or possibly a ritual of some kind."

"Well, usually a demonic ritual would require the blood of a human," Giles discounted with a frown. "As for a spell…nothing comes to mind but Willow or Tara may know something."

"I was going to ask Wills when she got here," Buffy supplied helpfully. "She and Tara are taking me shopping."

"Quite, but in the meantime I'd like to check out which demons can drain a body that way." He took off his glasses, pulled out his handkerchief and began rubbing the lenses absently. "There wasn't a spot of blood anywhere, you say?" Off her nod, he put his glasses back on and a look of anticipation started to bloom. "Absolutely fascinating. I really think we need look into this a bit deeper." Placing the clipboard down on a nearby shelf, he then brushed passed her and headed up the stairs to the main shop.

"We?" Buffy queried plaintively to his retreating back. At his lack of response, she sighed heavily then slowly followed him up the stairs. Just as she sat down at the research table, Giles joined her carrying a large, dusty tome with the title, 'Blood Demons Through The Ages.' He placed it on the table and opened the front cover to reveal the contents page written in flowery script.

"Now, while you're waiting for Willow and Tara, you can make a start with this," he instructed, pushing the volume towards her. She looked up at him aghast, but he had already turned away and was climbing the ladder to the upper level where the more 'dangerous' books were held.

"Great," she mumbled, tugging the hardback even closer and trying to read the contents. "Why couldn't he give me a book that didn't look like some huge inky spider just ran across the page," she complained, staring blankly at the barely decipherable writing before turning the page with a sigh.

Fifteen minutes and half a dozen pages later, the annoying shop bell rang again and seconds afterwards Willow's cheerful voice said, "Hey, Buff, watcha reading?"

Buffy turned her head and gave her redheaded friend and wan smile. "I have no idea."

The witch moved to the table and sat down next to her then lifted up the cover to check the title. "Oh, I read this a few months ago. Pretty boring, huh?"

"Yep; pretty unreadable too," the blonde grumbled, leaning back in her seat and then suddenly looked at her friend sceptically. "Wait a minute, you read that? For fun?"

Willow reddened slightly. "Well, I…I was waiting for Tara and…and…" she started to explain sheepishly then frowned and concluded defensively, "I was sitting here all alone and there was nothing else to do, okay?"

"Okay," Buffy replied with a small smile which the redhead couldn't help but return. The Slayer leaned forward again and closed the book with a snap. "So, do you remember if there's anything in there about a demon that can drain another demon dry and not leave any messy residue?"

Willow scrunched her forehead in thought and then shook her head. "Don't think so. Why, has something happened?"

Buffy repeated the previous night events to her friend, only pausing when Tara arrived and sat down next to her girlfriend, so she could give her a quick recap before finishing the tale.

"I can think of spells that need demon blood but none that require the donor to sacrifice themselves willingly," Tara said apologetically.

"Same here," Willow concurred.

"But we can check with our Wicca group if you like?" Tara suggested. "Maybe they know of something."

"Yeah, I think that’s a good idea," Buffy replied with a nod. "Best make sure just in case this is the start of something all big and evilly."

"Talking of big and evilly," Willow said, grinning at her friend expectantly. "How did it go with Spike last night?"

A small smile spread across Buffy’s face. "Good, actually."

"You didn’t let on you knew, then?" the redhead questioned sounding slightly surprised.

"No," the blonde refuted quickly, a hurt look appearing on her face. "I said I wouldn’t, didn’t I?"

"Yeah, but you still seemed pretty ticked off when you left, so I wondered."

"No need, Will," Buffy assured her, expression lightening into a smile again. "I just messed with him a bit but I didn’t spill."

"Poor Spike," Tara put in with a chuckle.

"Well, he was being his typical snarky self and I couldn’t resist it," the Slayer admitted with a playful pout and then grinned conspiratorially. "Besides, it worked in my favour. I said you were concerned about his injury and got to see a bit of Spikey goodness as a result."

"Oh, sneaky," Willow complimented with a grin.

"I thought so," the Slayer agreed unabashed.

"Are you seeing him tonight?" asked Tara.

"Yeah, I'm going over to see if he found out anything at Willy's last night."

"What about the Bronze tomorrow? Did he agree to go?" queried Willow.

"He didn't get a chance to," explained Buffy. "We found that Humbug demon just after I asked him."

The redhead's brow furrowed slightly. "Well, if he continues the way he has, we can assume that he'll go to Willy's instead of the Bronze and then we can go to phase two." Her expression lightened. "But if he does go to the Bronze then I can pretty much guarantee that you'll be having Spike smoochies by the end of the evening. He won't be able to resist if you go all, 'Dirty Dancing' on him."

"Spike smoochies," Buffy said getting a dreamy look on her face as she remembered the soft feel of his lips on hers when she and the vampire had been under Willow's 'do-thy-will' spell just over a year before. She sighed. "I can’t wait."

The sudden sound of a book thudding to the floor and the witches collective gasp jerked her out of her reverie. Looking up, she saw a very pale-faced Giles staring back at her with a horrified expression. Oh, crap! She'd forgotten that he didn't know about her change of heart regarding the vampire. Eyes wide, she cast a desperate look at Willow and Tara but they looked as much at a loss as she felt.

Focussing on her Watcher again, she took in a deep breath and stood up. "I think we need to talk, Giles," she said, trying to keep her voice even.

"So it would appear," he croaked out, his face starting to regain some of its colour.

"Out back?" she suggested, pointing towards the training room. He nodded and allowed her to move passed him before following.

Willow let out the breath she didn't realise she was holding and looked at her girlfriend. "That's not going to be an easy conversation. Perhaps I should go in and…"

Tara reached over and covered the redhead's hand with her own. "I think they need to discuss this by themselves, sweetie. Everything will be fine, you'll see."

Willow nodded and smiled uncertainly. "I hope you're right."

********************

Giles watched as Buffy paced agitatedly in front of him. Every once in a while, she paused and looked at him as if to speak but then turned away and silently continued her movement.

"Would it help if I went first?" he asked, his voice calm.

Buffy ceased walking and looked at him tensely. "Probably not," she replied honestly.

"Very well," he deferred, lapsing into silence again.

The Slayer sighed and stared at her feet. "I was going to tell you, Giles, I swear," she told him quietly.

"Tell me what exactly?" he prompted as she glanced up at him through her lashes then averted her gaze once more.

Buffy took a deep, steadying breath then looked her Watcher straight in the eyes. "That I'm in love with Spike," she confessed slowly and clearly.

Seconds ticked by as the pair stared at each other; Buffy's gaze uncertain, Giles' indecipherable.

"I see," he finally commented, the calm that seemed to have settled over him ever since he overheard her conversation, still firmly in place.

When she realised that he wasn't going to say anything further, the Slayer narrowed her eyes suspiciously. "That's it?" she questioned dubiously. "I see? No lectures? No cleaning of your glasses? No muttered curses at my stupidity in falling for another vampire? Just, I see?"

"Buffy, you are more than old enough to make your own decisions in matters of the heart," he told her evenly. "Whatever I say is hardly going to change anything."

"But aren’t you even going to try?" she responded sounded slightly panicked. "I mean you’re my Watcher, my father figure, my friend…surely one of those guys must be dying to say something!"

Giles gave her a strained look and nodded. "Believe me, they are."

"Then go ahead," she urged. "I'd rather we talk about this now than have it festering away between us."

The Englishman sighed heavily. "Buffy, you already know of my…reservations in regards to a relationship with a vampire. The fact that you now have feelings for one without a soul just turns my current headache into a migraine of gigantic proportions." He grimaced slightly as if to emphasise the point.

"He's changed," she told him softly. "Can't you see that?"

He could, and had, but he wanted to make sure that she still remembered what Spike was capable of and be relied upon to deal with it if she had to. "The chip…"

"Doesn't make any difference," she cut in assertively.

"And if it malfunctions?" Giles enquired quietly. "If he started to feed off humans again, would you be able to kill him?"

"He wouldn't," she replied with certainty.

"But what if he did, Buffy?" the Watcher persisted. "Would you? Could you?"

Buffy looked away. "I'm the Slayer."

"That's not an answer…"

Buffy abruptly turned her head back to look steadily at her Watcher. "Yes, Giles, it is," she stated flatly.

Giles simply stared back at the young woman in front of him, noting that despite her unhappily uttered words, her eyes held the strength of her conviction. She had done it before and she was prepared to do it again, no matter how much it nearly destroyed her the first time.

Seeing the pain that briefly flickered in her eyes, Giles knew that she was probably re-living that 'first time' once more and hated himself for having to be the one to bring back bad memories.

"I'm sorry, Buffy," he began, remorse colouring his tone.

"That's okay, Giles, I didn't expect you to approve," she interrupted calmly.

The Watcher frowned slightly. "I never said that I didn't approve," he censured lightly.

The Slayer looked at him as if he'd suddenly grown another head. "Huh? But I thought…" She placed her hands on her hips and looked at him accusingly. "Then what was all that about the chip?"

"As your Watcher I had to make sure that you remembered your priorities, Buffy," he explained, feeling slightly uncomfortable under her glare. "I'm sorry if I upset you but it needed to be discussed."

Buffy felt her anger begin to rise but forced it back down. He was right. The chip issue had to be addressed whether she liked it or not. Getting angry with Giles wasn't going to solve anything. He had his duty just as she had hers and at least they both knew where they stood now so there would be no need to talk about it further.

Bringing forth a small smile, she reached out and touched his hand. "That's okay, Giles, I understand." He patted her hand gently and gave her a grateful smile in return.

Removing her hand, her smile got wider. "So," she began brightly. "Watcher guy's had his say, who's going next? Father figure guy?"

Giles let out a wry chuckle. "If he did, he’d probably have something to say about the age gap. A hundred plus years is hardly conducive…"

"Okay," the Slayer said holding up her hand for him to stop. "First off…conducive? Is that even a word? And secondly, you sound too much like a real dad. How about we just cut to the chase and go to friend guy." Her eyes grew round and appealing as she softly requested, "Tell me what you really think."

********************

"Hey, Gorgeous," greeted Xander with a grin as he entered the Magic Shop and looked over at the counter where his fiancée usually stood. She wasn't there. "Ahn?" he called, his eyes sweeping over the rest of the shop and noting that the place appeared to be empty. Smile fading, he cautiously moved further into the shop. "Anya!"

There was movement from the back of the shop then Anya suddenly appeared, not looking at all happy. "Will you keep it down!" she chided in an angry hushed voice before turning around and going to the back of the shop once more.

"Hello darling," Xander said to himself mockingly as he followed her, wondering at her odd behaviour. When he got to the research table, he saw that the ex-vengeance demon was standing at the training room door alongside Willow and Tara. All three had their ears up against the door, straining to hear what was happening on the other side.

"What's going on?" asked Xander as he joined Willow, Tara and Anya at the training room door.

"Shh, Buffy's in there with Giles," Anya whispered to her fiancé. "She's telling him about Spike."

"Oh, how's it going?" Xander whispered back.

Anya gave him a pointed look. "I don't know. I can't hear anything because someone keeps talking."

The brunet opened his mouth to retort but a stern glare from his bride to be had him thinking better of it and he smiled feebly instead.

"I think they've been talking about the chip," Willow unexpectedly supplied quietly.

"Yeah, and I’m pretty sure Giles just complained about their difference in ages," Tara added with a puzzled look.

"Are you sure, sweetie?" the redhead queried, also looking baffled. "I mean, it’s just…without any yelling it's kinda hard to tell what’s being said."

"It's also hard to tell because people are talking," Anya added, her annoyance obvious.

Xander shot his fiancée a quick apologetic look then leaned towards the redhead. "Can't you just do a spell so we could all hear?" he whispered questioningly.

"No!" the witch discounted, her vehement tone hushed. "They're having a private conversation in there, we couldn't do that. It…it'd be rude!"

"Oh, and having your ears superglued to the door, isn't?" the carpenter asked dryly, forgetting to be quieter.

"Xander, I swear, if you don't you shut up, I'll withhold any hope of orgasms for an entire week," Anya threatened irately.

The brunet paled considerably and immediately clamped his lips together. Lifting his hand to his mouth, he pretended to turn a key in an imaginary lock and throw it over his shoulder. Moving behind her, he slipped his arms around her waist and dropped a kiss on her neck before joining the other eavesdroppers and leaning his ear against the door.

********************

Buffy watched Giles reach up, take his glasses off and absently begin to clean them. Seeing it as a stalling tactic so that he could choose his words carefully, her agitation began to grow. This wasn’t going to be good.

Having put his spectacles back on, Giles looked at the young woman in front of him impassively. "To be perfectly honest with you, Buffy, Spike isn’t be my first choice of partner for you and never will be simply because he’s not human. In addition, he’s ill tempered, uncouth, dreadfully annoying and has the all social grace of a flea."

Buffy opened her mouth to hotly deny his appalling description of the blond but realised that there wasn't anything she could actually refute. Unfortunately, Spike could be all those things and more and if Giles’ intake of breath was any indication, he apparently wasn’t finished listing them yet. Shutting her mouth, she folded her arms and looked down, miserably waiting for him to continue his diatribe.

Giles saw her dejected expression and took a step forwards, causing her to raise her head and focus on him so she would see that he also meant what he said next. "Failings aside, his behaviour of late, especially during the business with Glory, has opened my eyes to Spike's more…benevolent nature. I see his devotion to you and Dawn…and it is unparalleled. His desire to protect you both, even at the cost of his own existence, is, quite frankly, a miracle for one without a soul. To be able to overcome one's nature like that, even though he received no encouragement from any of us, it makes him…" he paused, trying to find the right words and then concluded quietly, "…unique." He smiled gently. "So, no, definitely not first choice, but I have to confess that he does come in a very close second."

Buffy stared at her Watcher with tear filled eyes. A tremulous smile made its way to her lips and then she closed the distance between them and engulfed him in a hug so tight it almost cut off his circulation. "Thank you, Giles," she whispered emotionally.

The Englishman patted her gently on the back then extricated himself from her crushing grip. Looking down at her seriously, he said, "Before you thank me, please just promise me one thing, Buffy."

"What?" she asked with a look of trepidation.

Giles’ expression took on a part pained, part pleading look. "Let me know in advance when you’re bringing Spike to my place so I can hide my good whisky."

A huge grin bloomed on the Slayers face. "I think I can manage that," she chuckled and drew him in for another bone crushing embrace.

********************

"Quick, they’re coming out, let’s go," Willow urged as she straightened up from her eavesdropping position by the door and hurried over to the research table followed by the others.

By the time Giles and Buffy exited, all four Scoobies where apparently thoroughly engrossed in the demon texts that were spread over the table top.

"Don’t even bother," Buffy told them with an amused smile. "Stampeding elephants are quieter and I heard Xander knock the chair over."

Giles nodded his agreement. "Yes, we really must work on your stealth abilities if you will insist on listening in on any more of our conversations."

The gang all stared back at the pair with varying levels of sheepishness then visibly relaxed back into their seats.

"Sorry," Willow offered humbly. "We were just…"

"Being nosey," Anya finished for her.

"I was going to say, concerned," the redhead corrected, shooting the other girl a reproving look.

Buffy grinned. "No big," she announced with a shrug. "And since you already listened in, we can just go shop for my hot new outfit now."

Xander grimaced slightly. "Is that for the much hyped, phase two?" he asked, putting his hands up and signalling quotes in the air with his fingers as he spoke the last two words, slightly derisively.

"Yep," the Slayer confirmed as she grabbed her coat and put it on.

"Phase two?" Giles asked with a perplexed look.

"Of the plan," Buffy supplied helpfully.

"Plan?" the Watcher repeated, his bafflement deepening. He looked to each of the gang in turn. "What plan?"

Remembering that Giles wasn’t a party to the Willow’s scheme, Buffy quickly remedied the situation and gave him a brief outline. "So, you mean to tell me that Spike has now developed a guilt complex?" he queried in amazement. At the energetic nods of affirmation from all the women, Giles’ eyes widened. "Remarkable," he murmured, removing his glasses and frantically cleaning the lenses. Replacing them back on his nose, he walked up to the table and moved a couple of books until he found a scrap piece of blank paper underneath. Picking it up, he felt around in his pockets for a pen and having found one, he wandered off muttering to himself, "I must write this all down. I’ve never heard anything like this about a soulless vampire before. He truly is quite remarkable."

Buffy turned back to Willow and Tara with a grin. "Mall?" The witches grinned back and nodded. "Let’s go."

*********************

Buffy hurried through the cemetery towards Spike’s crypt. She was late. Again. And if he dared to make one crack about her needing beauty sleep tonight…still, it’d be worth it. She’d found a great outfit at the last store they’d been to. As soon as she’d walked out of the changing room, both Willow and Tara’s eyes had widened and pleased grins had appeared on their faces as they voiced their approval of her choice.

"That's it!" Willow had exclaimed, indicating for Buffy to give them a quick twirl. "I'd like to see him try and resist you now."

"Well, he can be pretty stubborn," Buffy had replied as she turned to eye herself critically in the mirror. "Do you think I should go for a lower cut top or would that be too obvious?"

"Any lower and you might as well not bother wearing a top," the redhead had chuckled.

"Okay. Too obvious. Gotcha. I'll stick with this then," the Slayer had decided then gone and changed before paying for her purchases.

Once home, Dawn was waiting and had demanded seeing her new clothes too. Once she had her sister's approval as well, she'd grabbed a sandwich and got changed for patrol.

Spike's crypt loomed up ahead and she speeded up to a trot for the last couple of hundred yards. Coming to a halt, Buffy about to kick the door open, when it suddenly swung inwards and Spike appeared in the doorway.

"Late again, Slayer," he stated without preamble. "Beginning to think you’re forming a bad habit there, pet."

"Twice is hardly a habit, Spike," she retorted defensively. "And I’m only late today because I was out shopping with Willow and Tara. I had to get something to wear for the party tomorrow."

"Like you haven’t got stacks of stuff," he commented with a snort as he exited his crypt passed her and headed off through the cemetery.

"Not dressy stuff," she said dismissively as she fell into step beside him.

"Course you have, luv. What about that little black dress you’ve got pushed right to the back of your ward…" He paused, a look of panic coming over his features as his brain finally caught up with his mouth and he realised what he’d inadvertently let slip.

"I beg your pardon?" Buffy asked, her eyes wide. "Have you been looking through my closet? After that whole chaining me up, altar to the Slayer having thing, I thought you said that you got my blue sweater from the washing pile in the basement?"

Busted!

"I did," Spike lied, looking covertly around the cemetery. Where’s a bleedin’ grave big enough to swallow you whole when you needed one, he wondered bleakly to himself as he reluctantly turned his eyes back to her face.

Buffy looked at him knowingly, an amused smile tugging at her lips. "Uh-huh. So how do you know that I have a black dress at the back of my closet?" she asked deliberately, tilting her head slightly to the side as she awaited his answer.

Stalling for time, Spike rummaged around in his pockets for a cigarette and made a show of lighting it then inhaling.

"Well?"

‘Bloody hell woman, give a bloke time to think,’ he grumbled in his head then gave her a careless shrug that belied his inner tension. "Just a good guess," he finally responded aloud. "All you birds buy a sexy black number and shove it in the back of your wardrobe’s, never to be worn. It’s like a female teenage requirement or something."

Buffy knew he was lying through his teeth but decided to let it drop…for now. She chuckled lightly at his joke and nodded agreeably. "You’re right, we do."

Spike was surprised she let it go so easily but didn’t push it, deciding to change the subject to safer ground instead. "So, you interested in what I found out last night?" At her nod, he continued. "Willy told me he found one of his customers, Lana, out back in the dumpster. Dead with no sign of a struggle but not drained."

"Are you thinking it could be linked to our guy?"

"Possibly," he replied, dropping his cigarette butt on the ground and treading on it without breaking his stride.

"What about the non drainage?" she queried with a slight frown.

Spike shrugged. "Maybe he got disturbed and dumped the body before he had time to take any," he suggested.

Buffy nodded. "Sounds reasonable," she replied then looked over at him hopefully. "I don’t suppose anyone saw anything, did they?"

The vampire shook his head. "No, but a couple of days ago, I saw Lana with a right ugly git. Not seen him before so could be new in town. Thought we could have a bit of a bar crawl tonight and see if we could find him."

"New demon in town possibly killing other demons," Buffy said flippantly. "Seems like he’s doing me a favour, I should just let him get on with it. The less nasties around here, the better."

Stopping abruptly, Spike turned towards her, his jaw tightening as he tried to keep his sudden flare of temper at her careless words in check. "For your information, Slayer, those so-called nasties that have been murdered lived peacefully alongside humans. Their kind never hurt a fly, human or otherwise. I know in your book, demon equals evil, but it’s about time you understood that not everything in this world is that black and white. It never has been."

With one last hard look at her, he turned away to walk off but Buffy’s hand on his arm stopped him. Turning his head, he looked pointedly down at her hand then back up to her face, eyebrows raised.

"You’re right, I’m sorry," she told him quietly. "It was wrong of me to say what I did." She gave his arm a light squeeze and smiled gently. "Forgive me?"

Taken aback at the sincerity of her tone, Spike remained silent. For the second time in as many nights, she’d surprised him. He’d expected harsh words, not an apology and it confused the hell out of him. "Nothing to forgive, pet," he eventually told her, letting his gaze drop back to where she was still touching him. Freely. Willingly.

For a moment he allowed himself to enjoy her touch then suddenly felt the invisible threads of her world start to wind their way through his unbeating heart and begin tugging. He immediately took a step away from her, breaking the light contact she had on his arm. Clearing his throat, he swallowed hard and took a deep unneeded breath. "I think it’s best if we start at Willy’s and go on from there, don’t you?" he suggested, not quite meeting her eyes.

"Sounds like a plan," Buffy agreed lightly, trying to not let the disappointment of his sudden withdrawal show on her face.

"Right," he said, glancing at her before starting to walk. "Let’s go."

Three unsuccessful hours and five bars later, they walked slowly along Revello Drive and came to a halt outside Buffy’s house. To their frustration, they hadn’t found the ugly demon nor managed to garner any information about him. The only highlight of the evening was the brawl Spike had started at the third bar when a drunk Tamar demon had bumped against Buffy almost knocking her over. The vampire had immediately demanded an apology on her behalf and when the Tamar had refused point blank, the blond had seen red and punched him hard on the nose. Buffy had sat on a stool and watched the fight play out in front of her with a wide smile on her face, simply enjoying seeing the vampire in action.

Thinking of the fight immediately brought a smile back to her face as she remembered a particularly fine roundhouse kick he'd delivered that had made his T-shirt ride up slightly to reveal a glimpse of his taut stomach while his duster swirled around him dramatically. The blow had rendered the Tamar unconscious and Spike had stood proudly over the limp body before throwing a triumphant glance her way. It was a memory she'd been replaying on and off during the rest of the night and on a couple of occasions she'd been so wrapped up in her reverie that she'd missed something that the vampire had said. Just like now.

"Huh?" she queried blankly, desperately trying to come out of her Spike-happy induced fog so she could focus on the vampire in question.

Spike looked at her strangely but didn't say anything. She'd been a bit spacey ever since the fight he'd had at Donnelly's. He wondered briefly if it was something to do with him but discarded it almost instantly as she looked far too happy for that possibility. "I said I’ll try Willy’s again tomorrow night," he repeated slowly, checking to see if she was listening this time. "Someone, somewhere knows something. I might play a hand or two of poker, see what I can find out."

"Oh, right, yeah, you should do that," she replied. "I would help but…"

"Party. I know," the blond supplied, smiling a little at the thought of her sitting in on a game of cards where the stakes up for grabs were cute fluffy kittens. That'd be an experience.

"Yeah." She looked over her shoulder to her house and then back at him. "Well, I'd better go in, it's late."

Spike nodded. "Goodnight, pet," he replied, feeling a little stab of hurt that she hadn't tried to get him to the party one last time. Not that he'd go, but still… "Enjoy yourself tomorrow."

She nodded and smiled then walked up her path and opened the door. Before crossing the threshold, she turned and gave him a brief wave then entered her home. Spike stayed until he heard her lock the door, then slowly walked away. Half an hour later he was back. Lighting a cigarette from his newly acquired pack, he looked up at Buffy’s window watching her silhouette as she prepared for bed. The light went off and he moved across to the tree where he’d spent many a long night watching over his girls.

Settling himself back against the coarse trunk, he recalled her apology from earlier that evening and felt his still heart twinge once more. Taking a drag on the cigarette, he exhaled the smoke telling himself that it wouldn't hurt to watch over them for one night…just for old time's sake.

END CHAPTER 8