Ch. 17: Evening Work

"So it was good?" Anya asked.

"It was fabulous." Buffy purred contentedly and then curled her tongue in appreciation of her boyfriend's talents.

"Whoa." And for once, Anya was speechless.

***

"I can't believe you're going to be gone the entire winter break." Buffy pouted, leaning back into Spike's chest. They were comfortably lying on Buffy's bed, taking a break from working on their English project.

He held her close, breathing in her hair and cherishing her warmth. "I know, but I can't do anything about it. Da's been planning this since summertime. And you'll be able to hang with Willow and Oz."

"It's not the same. How fun would it have been to hang out all break, not worrying about school or anything?" She turned to look at him, as if her eyes would convince him to rebel against his father and ditch the trip.

"You know I can't do anything about it, so let's just enjoy the time we have." He kissed her hair and enjoyed the way she fit so perfectly in his arms.

She shifted a little so that she could look up at him. "When are you leaving again?" She ran her fingers gently over his cheeks as she asked. He was just so gorgeous; she never got tired of looking at him, never stopped marveling at how he looked at her with such affection.

He kissed those wandering fingertips before answering. "I'm leaving the first Monday of the break. I was hoping we could spend some time that weekend before I leave? We have to figure out when we're going to do presents and everything." He smiled down at her, eager to give her the ring he'd purchased so long ago. He'd been so tempted to give it to her just for the hell of it, but he didn't want to ruin the Christmas surprise.

"Ah, yes. Presents. I love presents. Have you gotten me anything yet?" she inquired, propping her head up on her elbow. Buffy was still unsure about a gift for him, and she secretly hoped he hadn't gotten anything yet.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" he teased, playing with a strand of her hair. "You wanna plan on doing something on Saturday? Maybe we could drive up to the beaches or something, spend the day there."

"Oh, that sounds so nice," she replied. She leaned in to kiss him gently. "I have the best boyfriend."

"Okay," he agreed quickly. Her exaggerated fury at his lack of reciprocation only made him laugh. Before she could pummel him, he swiftly turned and captured her lips while covering her body with his.

Buffy's fists easily turned into roving hands, and she threaded her fingers through his hair, giving it that tousled look she loved so much.

His kissed were slow and tender, playing with her lips and discovering the secret places of her mouth. God, she loved the way he made her skin tingle. She kept their movements slow, knowing that they had to get back to work soon. She moved their bodies a little, pushing him onto his back but not following him. A final kiss, and she rested her chin on his chest, giving him a smile of contentment.

"Does that mean this break is over?" He noted her nod and tried not to sigh too loudly. He sat up further and reached for their notes. "We do have a lot to do before tomorrow."

Buffy grimaced as she thought about how much they still had to do. "I can't believe we waited till the last minute to do this." She grabbed her notebook and listlessly looked over her papers.

"We didn't--we were just unproductive in our time together--well, in the school sense, anyway." He smirked and dodged her playful punch.

"At least we taped most of it already. We just need to finish editing it and type up the paper," she muttered, pulling her body off the bed and moving towards the computer.

"I know it's not much, but I have so little motivation. I think you need to give me some incentive," Spike purred, stretching out sexily on her bed.

"Oh, yeah?" she replied coyly, leaning forward and biting her lip, playing up that innocent sexuality that he seemed to enjoy so much. Of course, she felt kind of silly trying to be sexy in a pair of sweats and an ugly gym t-shirt from her middle school, but he didn't seem to mind. Before she could throw back her hair sexily, he'd pounced on her, picking her up and pinning her down on the bed. He hadn't been satisfied by their break, and what had begun as simple fun had quickly escalated into heavy breathing and nibbling.

Buffy indulged him for a little bit, kissing him thoroughly and rubbing her hands up and down his back. But when he started caressing her skin underneath her shirt, she pushed him away abruptly.

Spike landed on his back, his mouth still slightly open and curled in a kiss. His eyes were hazy, and the confusion on his face was so adorable that she was tempted to go back and start things up again. However, the nagging student in her came out victorious.

"Spike, we really have to finish this project, and I don't want to stay up all night doing it."

"No all-nighters? But they're so much fun," he drawled, moving towards her with a seductive look on his face.

She allowed him to put his arms around her, but she turned and gave him a look of resolution. "You want incentive? We finish the presentation first, and then I'll give you a personal presentation," she purred, licking her lips. And then she began to giggle.

Already turned on, her words were hardening him even further. But her giggles confused him. "What are you playing at? What's with the giggles?"

"I'm sorry," she said, trying to control her laughter. "I just feel so stupid trying to play sexy. It just doesn't come naturally for me." She shrugged and placed a quick kiss on his lips. "You must bring it out in me."

"Well, as long as you're not laughing at me. And I'm more than willing to bring out the sexiness in you--just don't bring it out for anyone else. I'm the jealous type."

"Ooh, are you? That's good to know. Now let's get going on this project. The faster we finish, the faster we can start." She waggled her eyebrows at him and then began laughing again.

"You just wait till we're done. I'll wipe that smirk off your face," he retorted as he plopped onto his bed and returned to their notes, preparing to tell her what to type.

Turning to the keyboard, Buffy replied, "I can't wait. Now give it to me." She laughed again, giving him a quick wink, and then began working in earnest.

***

It was now 2 a.m., and Spike and Buffy had switched places. He was now on the computer, editing their movie, since she had finished the written portion of their project. They were both perfectionists when it came to their work, but Buffy was slowly losing her standards as time ticked away.

"So you think this music works, or should I change it to something a little more upbeat?" Spike questioned, his eyes never leaving the screen.

"God, I don't care. I think everything you've done so far is fine." She stretched and yawned loudly before plopping her head onto a pillow.

"Oh, come on. We've just got a little more to do." Spike played with the settings and the various options while the clip played over and over again.

"I think it's perfect, and don't you want to finish so we can start a little play of our own?" she said in a voice that would have been sexy had it not been broken by a huge, unattractive yawn.

He looked over at her and laughed. "You're right. I think we're finally done. Save. Burn to CD," he mumbled to himself, inserting a blank cd and checking one last time that everything was done. "Now while that's burning--" he purred, turning to look at her. He chuckled when he saw her sleeping body sprawled out on the bed. He was constantly amazed at her ability to fall asleep in the middle of a conversation or during a car ride to the mall. She was so cute, her eyes screwed shut and her mouth making little pouting actions while dreams played over her face. Kneeling beside her bed, he kissed her forehead and brushed her hair out of her face. He tucked her inside the covers, marveling at how little she was, and then retrieved the completed CD. Gathering his notes and the final project, he shut everything down and turned off the light. He scribbled a little note and left it on her wall, right next to his last note. Kissing her one last time, he left the room.

***

When Buffy awoke the next morning, her mouth felt filmy and gross. "Ew, I must have fallen asleep without brushing. And without saying goodnight to Spike." She pouted as she pulled herself out of bed. She looked around to see if he'd left a note or anything, and finally she spotted the new quote above her bed.

Sleep dwell upon thine eyes, peace in thy breast!

Romeo and Juliet
Act II, scene ii

Sleep tight--I'll be your peace in the morning.

She giggled at his lame attempt to be seductive and then trotted off to the bathroom to get ready for school.