Chapter 21B

“Hello?”

“Hello? Cecily – Where the fuck are you – don’t tell me you’ve forgot-“

“No, um, no, I’m not Cecily, I’m her friend, Dru”

“Is she there?”

“Um, she’s not well, she had a real bad night I think she’s got a bug or something. Who is this please?”

“It’s Tucker, I’m at the studios – she was due to start shooting a new series today, Candy’s World Trip. Can I speak to her?”

“Er, um, well she’s asleep…can I get her to phone you?”

“Asleep? Oh fuck…Sweet’s just gonna LOVE this…I’ve got the worlds biggest male porn star sitting here waiting, and she’s still a fuckin’ ‘SLEEP!”

“Oh, she was with Daddy last night, he’ll be cool about things, don’t worry, she really wasn’t well”

“Well, I hope you’re right, and tell her to get her arse in here pronto, we can fix her up. Despite what you say, Sweet ain’t gonna be too happy paying the Master $10,000 a day just to sit around”

“Okay, will do, bye” Dru put the phone down and went upstairs. She opened the curtains and window in Cecily’s room. Cecily was curled up into a ball with the covers tightly round her.

Dru sat on the bed and pulled back the comforter.

“Cec…Cecily…Come on Cec…wake up!”

“Go way!”

“I’ve had this guy called Tucker on the phone for you”

“Uh…oh…wha’s –the-time?”

“It’s twenty past ten”

“Come back lunchtime”

“He said you were to go to the studios, he’ll fix you up. Something about Daddy having to pay the Master to sit around” Cecily suddenly sat up with a jolt, and wished she hadn’t. Her head swam and she felt nauseous, there was a faint smell of disinfectant in the air that added to her discomfort.

“Oh fuck, oh god…I forgot all about the movie”

“Want some coffee?” Dru stood up from the bed.

Cecily threw back the bedcovers. Each movement felt like torture to her whole body. She swung around and put her feet on the floor, reaching for her purse she took out a packet of Marlboro cigarettes and a lighter.

“Ew! This floor is wet…why is the floor wet Dru?” Cecily shakily lit a cigarette, it wasn’t easy, she had the shakes so much the flame wouldn’t connect with the tip at first.

“You were sick, I cleaned it up”

“Oh, right, thanks…fuck, my head…where did we end up, where did we go last night?”

“Daddy took us dancing! We went to…The Basement, and then onto George’s No. 8, don’t you remember?” Dru had picked up the photos she’d left on the nightstand and began to look through them.

“Huh? Oh, um, yeah, yeah, that’s right” Cecily wouldn’t have remembered if she’d gone to the moon and back last night, she’d done so much coke.

The phone rang again; its piercing tone had Cecily wincing.

“Get that for me would you love, if it’s Tucker, tell him I’m in the shower and I’ll be there by lunchtime, ‘kay?” Cecily stubbed out her cigarette, and then made a concerted effort and got up out of bed, lurching to the bathroom.

“Okay!” Dru said brightly. It wasn’t Tucker, but Sweet.

“Daddy!”

“Hello princess. Where’s Cecily?”

“She’s in the shower”

“Tucker, a man at the film studios tells me she hasn’t gone to work”

“Oh she was sick in the night, but she’s okay now, she’ll be going there by lunchtime”

“Did she say that?”

“Yes Daddy, honestly”

“Okay princess, I’ll see you later”

“Bye Daddy!”

“CECILY!” Dru called. Cecily stood up from the sink unit, pinching her nose, wiping it on the back of her finger, waiting for the rush of euphoria.

“Yeah?”

“That was Daddy”

“Is he mad at me?”

“No, I told him you were sick, but you’d be at the film studios lunchtime”

Cecily relaxed a little

“’Kay. Did you say something about coffee?”

“Sure…want breakfast?”

“Just coffee, love”

“Kay”

Cecily looked into the mirror at her reflection. Her eyes were a little bloodshot, she knew she was doing way too much coke and other stuff than was good for her, that and the late nights, the alcohol and lack of food was doing her no good at all, she would have to slow down. She’d get this series of six movies out of the way, and then go on a little holiday. Her head clearing, she squirted paste onto her toothbrush and began to clean her teeth. Dru appeared in the doorway, holding what looked like a photograph.

“Coffee’s on. Cec…does Spike still work at Aphrodite?” Cecily rinsed and spat, and ran the tap to clear the sink.

“Spike, um, well yeah, I think so, he’s Noiz’ manager. Why? What have you got there?” She turned to look at her friend after wiping her mouth on the towel.

“Oh…just some pictures I found”

“Let me see…oh god! I remember that beach party! Ooh! V-e-r-y arty…I don’t know why I’ve got that one” Cecily was looking at the Matinee Idol Spike photo.

“It was from when I lived here before. Has he…have you seen him, you know…recently?”

“Who, Spike? Um, oh god…let me see…not since, hold on, when did Noiz do Dallas? Let me think…oh, Easter, yeah, Easter weekend. Why – Oh Dru, don’t tell me…you don’t…”

“Don’t what?”

“You don’t still love him, do you?” Cecily looked at Dru, who just turned away and said quietly,

“Coffee’s ready”

**********


“Oh, er, hi. I wonder if you could help me? I’ve been left several messages on my Ansa phone, I’ve been away for a few days, and these messages, well, I’m not sure if you’ve got the right person”

“What’s your name?”

“Riley Finn”

“Oh, um, right, erm, did you used to live in Sunnydale and go out with a girl called Buffy Summers?”

“Er, well, yes, yes I did, but what has that got to do with coming to some TV Studios-“

“Hold on, stay there, I won’t be a minute” Cassie put the receiver down by the phone and raced out into the corridor.

“Glory!”

Glory turned her head and angrily hissed,

“Can’t you see I’m talking!”

“Riley Finn’s on the phone, he’s the right one, I –“

“Why didn’t you say!” Glory left the guy she was chatting to standing and barged passed Cassie into the office.

“………Checked. Um, Sorry about that, but she’s been waiting ages for this call” Cassie said by way of an explanation to the guy. He shrugged and walked away.

Cassie went back into her office to find Glory leaning against her desk, being so sickly sweet and nice to this Riley Finn on the phone.

Cassie didn’t want to hear it, so she picked up her purse and went for coffee.

************

Xander thought he’d be diplomatic, and stay out of the office so that Spike and Buffy could say their goodbyes in peace.

“I’ve forgotten my sunglasses, they are in my drawer. And what are you skulking around out here for, hmm?” Cordelia asked him with a grin.

She went to go into the office.

“Cordy, don’t go in th-oh, too late” Xander frowned and turned away, rubbing the back of his head.

Cordelia went in, and came out twenty seconds later, grinning.

“They never even noticed me! Didn’t look like they were coming up for air anytime soon either! Tell Buffy I’ll wait in the car. Is Clem already down there?”

“Yes, he just took Buffy’s luggage down”

“Oh gods, will there be enough room?”

“She only had one case and an overnighter”

“Wow! I admire her restraint. Okay now listen here you, just you behave while
I’m away, d’you hear me Harris!” She grinned at him, and he grinned back.

“Spoilsport! I will. And don’t you get up to any mischief, either!”

“Moi – mischief – as if! – See you!” The lift door slid open and she left with a little wave.

The office door opened and Buffy and Spike came out.

“Ready for the ‘off’ then, well, good luck. Not that you’ll need it, but, you know” Xander said smiling.

“Thanks Xander – oh, I suggested to Spike that you and Harmony come with us to that Sweet’s party – I thought that as none of us is too keen, we can at least have a little fun together”

“Great, I’ll tell Harm later, bye then, see you Friday”

“Bye Xander. Now, I wonder where Cordelia got to?”

“She’s waiting down there in the car for you”

“Right then, are you coming down with me Spike?”

“Of course Kitten, won’t be long Xander. Don’t run off, I want you to come out with me later, to listen to some bands, okay?”

“Right” The lift doors closed taking Buffy and Spike down to the ground floor.

Spike stopped the lift between the first and second floors, and kissed Buffy.

“Going to miss you, ring me when you get there, ‘kay?”

“I will. Can I have another kiss?” Spike obliged, giving her a cuddle and whispering

“Love you”

Buffy closed her eyes and smiled, hugging him tighter, she whispered,

“Love you too. I’ll miss you” They then heard a loud banging sound and somebody shouting.

“HEY…WHAT’S WRONG WITH THE LIFT….ANYBODY STUCK IN THERE, HELLO - HELLO!” Grinning guiltily, Spike pressed a button and the lift started again, and opened on the ground floor, to a little huddle of people around it.
Spike and Buffy stepped out, looked straight ahead, saying nothing. When they passed everyone, they both let out snorting giggles by the exit doors. Spike caught her hand.

“I won’t come out to the car, Kitten, now, get as much rest as you can okay, and don’t forget to ring me – bye babe”

“I will, I promise, bye – miss you”

“Miss you” she left, and turned back and waved, Spike mouthed

‘Love you’ Buffy grinned and mouthed ‘love you too’. Smiling, he took the stairs back up to the office.

Buffy had met Clem earlier on, and thought he was very nice. He had a slight facial deformity, but he had a lovely nature, and had promised Spike to look after Buffy for him.

“All belted in? Okay ladies, Sacramento, here we come, with a slight detour to pick up the radio interviewer in Burbank!” Buffy and Cordelia laughed as they drove off the carpark.

**********


Cassie came back from coffee, and sat behind her desk.

“Oh Cass, there you are. Now, any luck finding anything about Buffy’s father?”

“Er, erm , n-no. No, sorry. The er, the art-article just said ‘father’, d-didn’t give a name”

“Oh. Oh well, never mind, least you tried!” Glory smiled. Cassie’s brow rose in surprise. She wondered briefly what alien had beamed down and taken the REAL nasty, snarky sarcastic Glory and had put this ‘nice’ one in her plac