Chapter 3


Buffy came off stage and was taken to a room all ready for photographs to be taken. After the publicity shots were done, she could join the party.

The free tickets that had been given to act’s guests entitled them to come backstage and join the fun. Spike immediately noticed a pretty redheaded girl looking around the room.

Her companion was somewhat shorter than her, but looked cool and ‘laid back’, taking everything in his stride.

“Can you see her, I can’t see her…’’ Willow whispered to Oz.

“No…hold on, that guy looks like he’s coming towards us’’ Spike came over to them.

“You looking for Buffy?’’

‘’Yes’’

‘’She won’t be long, just having some publicity photographs done.’’

‘’Oh, right, thanks’’ Willow smiled

‘’Come on over to the table, get yourself some food, can I get you a drink? Sorry, I should introduce myself, I’m William Carling-Blake, I represent Aphrodite Records’’ He held out his hand, and both Willow and Oz shook it.

‘’I’m Willow, this is Oz’’

‘’Pleased to met you’’

‘’So, what can I get you two drink?’’

‘’Oh, just a soft drink for me, I’ve got to keep a clear head’’ Willow said

‘’Me too, I’m driving’’ Oz said
Spike went away, and came back with two glasses of ‘Club’ soda.

‘’This do?’’ Spike held up the two glasses of fizzy orange

‘’Fine, thanks’’ the couple took the drinks

‘’So, this friend of yours, she been singing long?’’

Willow reiterated the story to Spike, when a beaming Buffy appeared by their side, to the applause of the room. Putting her drink down, Willow hugged and congratulated her friend, as did Oz.

‘’This is William, he’s from Aphrodite Records’’ Oz said to Buffy, obviously impressed. Spike introduced himself

‘’And you can all call me Spike!’’ Buffy looked into the bluest eyes she’d ever seen, and she swore her heart skipped a beat. As his cool hand clasped her rather warm one, she felt a definite frisson, like a little electric shock run through her.
They chatted all night, and Spike had to take a phonecall, Buffy turned to her friends.

‘’What do you think Will?’’

‘’He’s a dreamboat!’’

‘’Man…Aphrodite Records…I mean, do you KNOW just how big they are?’’ Oz asked.

‘’Well, I’ve heard of them all right, the ‘Mighty Aphrodite’ as they are always called in the papers’’

‘’They have some of the biggest names!’’ Willow said, then she added,

‘’Has he offered you a contract?’’

‘’Well, he’s invited me to the studios tomorrow, to look around, and I can look over a contract, and he said that to prove they’re not trying to rip me off, I can take it to any legal representative of my choosing to look it over before I sign’’

‘’Sounds fair enough to me’’ Oz said, and Willow nodded in agreement.


‘’Boss wants to know, did you get her? Xander asked Spike

‘’Not yet, but don’t worry, we will. I’ve invited her to the studios tomorrow’’

‘’Good. Just as long as ‘Midnight Music’ don’t get her’’

‘’No worries, that pillock Connor O’Neil is too bothered trying to get that crappy group to sign, he hasn’t even noticed her’’

“Crappy group?’’

‘’Yeah, that lot that came second’’

‘’Oh. I thought they were good!’’ Xander said. Spike rolled his eyes and sighed.

‘’You would, THAT’S why you never get trusted to come and do these invitation signings, Xander, they have ‘one-hit-wonder’ written all over them, complete waste of time! Look, I must go, it looks like our little lady is ready to go, bye’’

Spike ended the call and made his way back over to the trio.

‘’Sorry about that, business, you know’’

‘’I understand. We’re going now, it’s been such a long day, and-‘’

‘’I completely understand love. Here’s my card, ring me anytime’’

‘’Um, tomorrow, can you tell me where the studio is exactly?’’

‘’Stupid me!’’ Spike smacked his forehead.

‘’Don’t worry, pet, if you give me your address, I’ll send a car for you.’’ Buffy beamed. Spike produced a small leather bound notebook and gold pen, and Buffy wrote down her address and phone number.

‘’Shall I ask for you, when I get there?’’ She looked straight into his eyes as she handed him both book and pen back

‘’No need love, I’ll be in reception waiting for you, ok – are you going to bring a friend, I’ll need to know because of the security passes?’’ Spike glanced up at Willow

‘’No, Willow’ll have lectures tomorrow, it’ll be just me’’

‘’Right, well, it’s been very nice to meet you’’ Spike shook hands with Willow and Oz, and then he stood in front of Buffy.

‘’Night then pet, it’s been a pleasure to meet you’’ he reached for her hand and placed a soft kiss on the back of it. Buffy swallowed, and hoped he hadn’t noticed her shaking slightly.
She floated to the parking lot!

‘’Wow, Buffy – he’s gorgeous and that Brit accent, ooh!’’ Willow squeezed her friend’s arm as they waited for Oz to bring round the van

‘’Tell me about it!’’ Buffy said, grinning.


*************


Drusilla St John was having yet ANOTHER row with her father. Or rather, he was ranting, she was sitting there, waiting for him to finish.

‘’How could you do this Dru? More importantly, how could you do this to me, after all I’ve done for you, all I’ve spent on you? Treatments and therapies don’t come cheap, I can assure you that!’’

‘’No, father, I’m sorry’’

‘’Sorry? You’re sorry – So am I Dru! Is this anyway to behave in public?’’

Lord Netherbourne threw the tabloid newspaper with its screaming headline

‘LORD’S DAUGHTER IN DRUNKEN ANTI-WAR PROTEST’ at her.

Photographs of her drunken antics, off her face, topless in the Trafalgar Square fountains with five other

‘End the War’ protesters. There were further pictures of them on pages two, three and four, showing them sitting astride the lions, and sticking ‘End the War’ posters around the base of Nelson’s Column.

They’d thrown potassium permanganate crystals into the water fountain so it had turned purple, and washing detergent so that purple foam covered everything.

‘’It wasn’t just me!’’ Dru whined

‘’Well young lady, let’s hope these types that you associate with can pay any fines due, because I’ve finally cut the purse-strings. No more bailing you out, you are on your own!’’

‘’Yes, father’’ Dru kept her eyes downcast, hoping he’d finished his diatribe. No such luck, he continued, and Dru felt like screaming, she had the devil’s own hangover and just wanted to crawl back to bed and hide for a week.

‘’You’re an idler and a drifter, just like your mother, couldn’t pin her down either, like trying to nail jello to the wall she was, and you’re just the same. Well I won’t stand for it any more, you’ve got to start making your own way in the world young lady. I know you’ve had you problems, but your medication is sorted now, isn’t it?……… Drusilla, are you listening to-‘’

‘’Yes, father, I haven’t had any more bouts of my illness for nine months now’’

‘’Good. I’m sorry if you think I’m getting on at you Dru, but I have standing, the Party want me to be deputy leader – I will not have you ruining my chances. I’m stopping your allowance as from today, and I want you to get a job. While you live under my roof, you will abide by my rules, do you understand?’’

‘’Yes father. I’m sorry, can I go now please, I feel sick’’

‘’Yes you may go (Dru stood too quickly, and swayed slightly) and think on what I’ve said!’’ Was her father’s parting shot as she left the room.


*************



‘’Uh…oh god, yes, yes, harder, HARDER, FUCK ME, yes! Ooh yes…that’s it…don’t stop………oh, oh, oh, ooooohhhhh…fuck!’’

‘’And… cut! That’s a wrap, take ten everybody’’ The director moved off set.

Cecily disengaged herself from the guy she’d been bouncing around on for the last half an hour. She wrapped herself in her robe and went to get a cigarette and a drink.

She noticed that she’d got a message on her cell-phone, and read,
‘Does that offer of yours still stand? – I need a place well away from here, ring me, love Dru’

‘’Five minutes Cecily, next scene, it’ll be you and the Master, then the Master and Amy, then Bree will join in ok?’’

‘’Kay Tucker…’’ She dialled Dru’s number

‘’Dru – baby, what have you been up to’’

‘’Don’t ask!’’

‘’No need to sweetheart, I saw it on BBC America…’’

‘’Oh god! My father has had enough of me’’

“He chucked you out?’’

‘’Good as, his outlook is so, so VICTORIAN! I don’t think he ever was a teenager, he went from prep-school straight to middle age. So, can I come and stay with you for a while, I don’t want to be in the same country as him!’’

‘’Sure you can honey, it’ll be quite like old times!’’

‘’Oh thanks Cec! You’re a real friend! I’ll ring you and let you know what flight I’m getting’’

‘’TIME, CECILY’’

‘’Ok love, look, gotta go, I’m on next, bye!’’


************


Spike pulled up in the carpark at Aphrodite records. He wanted to make arrangements for the following day, to book the car and sort out her security pass and contract.

He made his way up to the fourth-floor office. Xander was in, and still working.

‘’Don’t you have a home to go to?’’ Spike asked frown/smiling at his colleague.
Xander just wrinkled his nose.

‘’What?’’

‘’My parents…they are rowing all the time’’

‘’Parents?’’ Spike said in surprise He sat down behind one of the desks and opened up the computer.

‘’I keep meaning to get a place of my own, it’s just…’’ Xander trailed off. Spike tapped away at the keyboard, booking the car for tomorrow, arranging the security pass and getting a standard contract drawn up. He took out his notebook and typed in Buffy’s address.

‘’Just what?’’

’Time, I suppose’’

‘’Bet that’s a bit, well awkward to say the least, when you take a girlfriend back’’

Spike hit the ‘send’ and the info went. He looked up at Xander, who had a rueful look on his face. Spike rolled his eyes and said,

‘’Don’t tell me, you’ve never been able to?’’

‘’I’ve never had a girlfriend to take back! – Don’t you dare tell anyone!’’

Spike had heard the rumours of course, the way Xander followed him around like a lost sheep, the way he hung on his every word…Taking the bull by the horns, Spike said,

‘’Well, is there someone you fancy?’’

‘’Uh huh’’

‘’Well?’’

‘’Promise you won’t tell them?’’

‘’Then how the hell do you think you’re going to get anywhere with them if I don’t?

‘’Coz she’ll knock me back, and I couldn’t bear it!’’

‘’Meanwhile, you sit and pine and never get laid?’’ Xander squirmed.

‘’Ok, it’s Anyanka’’

‘’ANYANKA? Bloody hell!’’ Spike was shocked

‘’Blood hell what? – She’s lovely!’’

‘’She’d eat you for breakfast more like, can’t you fancy somebody…well, sorry to say this, but a bit more in your league? Anyanka’s a woman of the world, she goes for rich, successful types. She was with that film director…what’s-his-name for three years, now she’s with that Giles bloke’’

‘’Giles bloke?’’

‘’That bloke that was in the Rocketeers, now owns The Four Seasons restaurant, does ‘Box Office’ on cable’’

‘’Oh, him. No, they are just friends, they’re not, you know, ‘seeing’ seeing each other’’

‘’Oh? – How do you know?’’

‘’Cordelia told me, he’s in love with somebody else, anyway’’ Spike stood and yawned, stretched.

‘’If you say so. But sorry mate, you need a change of image, and to suddenly win the lottery, if you’re to stand an earthly with her’’

‘’Image? – How do you mean?’’

‘’Well, for one, NOBODY wears Hawaiian shirts anymore, except tourists, Magnum PI, and that bloke that owns that all-you-can-eat fish restaurant by the beach. And he’s Hawaiian!’’ Spike put on his coat. A sudden thought came to him, it would help him with a little problem, and he said,

‘’Are you going to the Sounds Awards?’’

‘’Yes’’

‘’Got a date?’’

‘’No’’

‘’You get yourself all tarted up smart, tux and that, and I’ll get you a date’’ Spike went towards the door. Xander swivelled on his chair.

‘’Who with?’’

‘’Never you mind who with, trust me’’

‘‘She better not be a dog!’’

‘’She won’t be! Anyway, as apposed to what? – No date at all? And they say beggars can’t be choosers…look, she’s very attractive, blonde, young, and you’ll have fun! AND you’ll be in all the society magazines, posing on the red carpet, so mind what I told you, SMART, ok?’’ Spike opened the door to go

‘’Spike’’

‘’Yeah?’’ Xander smiled and said,

‘’You know, thanks’’ Spike grinned.

‘’You’re welcome, mate.’’ He left.

He was just going down in the lift, when his cell-phone rang. He checked to see who it was, and a jolt of pure pleasure ran through him, it was Buffy

‘’Hello, Buffy’’ he practically purred to her. Buffy felt herself shiver with delight.

‘’Oh, is um, is that you, Spike – s-sorry to call so late, I thought I might get to leave you a message. I-I didn’t wake you, did I?’’

‘’No, kitten, you didn’t, I was burning the midnight oil actually, sorting things out for you tomorrow’’

‘’That’s what I’m ringing you about’’ Spike felt his stomach knot, he hoped she hadn’t changed her mind…

‘’What can I do for you then kitten?’’

‘’All it is, um, what time will the car pick me up, you may have already told me, but – well, so much has happened tonight!’’
Spike relaxed, and chuckled.

‘’I’m sorry love, I don’t think I did say, 10am, is that ok with you? – You’ll be here at about 10.30am’’

‘’Fine, right, thanks sorry to be a nuisance’’

‘’No trouble at all pet, I assure you.’’

‘’Right then, 10 o’clock’’

‘’I’ll be there to greet you, night kitten, sweet dreams’’

‘’Night, and thanks’’

‘’You’re welcome’’ Spike ended the call, and smiling to himself he left the building with a spring in his step.