Chapter 8


Spike opened the door to the recording suite, and he turned to face a worried looking Buffy.

“Spike, I’m sorry”

She didn’t really know what she was apologising for, except for the fact he was annoyed about something.
Immediately Spike felt the stab of guilt, and his shoulders dropped and he shook his head.

“No love, I’M sorry. There’s something about that bloke that just riles me. I shouldn’t have taken it out on you.”
Buffy could see that Spike was genuine in what he said, and she felt the coil of worry in the pit of her stomach relax, felt relief he wasn’t angry with her.

He smiled and said,
“You go have a good rehearsal, um, are you in a rush to get home?”

“To an empty house – No! Did you want me to stay late?”

“Well, I was thinking, after your rehearsals, we could go and have a chat with the photographer, sort out what you’ll be wearing for the cover of your single, and then perhaps, well, we could go get something to eat.”

“Great!” Buffy said with enthusiasm

“Yeah? – Good! Um…do you like Italian food?”

“Love it – although, I’m not dressed for a restaurant”

“Don’t worry, this little place, it’s always full of sound recordists, engineers, lighting directors, always in jeans – but the food is terrific”

“Sounds great” She grinned

“You’ll be in here for what…let me think…two hours now, so I’ll come and get you at around…6, is that ok? – We can leave around 7 o’clock, and that will get you home nicely so you can have a nice relaxing bath and a good nights sleep, don’t want any dark circles around those pretty green eyes of yours now do we?”

Buffy blushed a little and smiled.

“See you in a while then, pet” Buffy nodded and went into the recording suite.

*********

Spike went to the video editing room and smiled. Good, she was there.

“Harm, got a minute, pet?”

She stopped the tape of her Christmas song and stood up.

“Blondie-B-oh, uh, I mean, um…hello Spike” Harmony looked downcast.

“Want to go to the Indie Radio Awards still?” Spike wheedled

Harmony tried for her ‘hurt, little voice’, and shook her head,

“No…you said I hadn’t won, so what’s the point?” She looked at Spike with big puppy-dog eyes.

Spike went over to the couch and patted it for her to sit next to him.

“Look, I’ve been thinking, this will be good practice for you, for when you start winning awards”

“What?” her face broke into a huge grin, and she squealed,

“I’ve won an-“ Spike winced and held up his hand.

“Hold on, calm down.”

“Yes Spike. Sorry Spike. Carry on … I’m going to win something!”
She bobbed her knees up and down very fast, until Spike gave her a ‘warning’ look.

“Sorry – you’ve got my undivided attention now – go on………what award is it?”

“HARMONY! Ok, this was a mistake! (Spike stood up and looked down at her) I thought you could do it, but obviously I was wrong”

He made to move for the door, but she caught his arm.

“What, I’m sorry, I’ll do it, whatever it is, I won’t screw up, I promise!”

Spike looked at her for a few seconds, nodded, and then sat back down.

“Ok, now LISTEN, and NO interrupting, ok?”

Harmony just looked big-eyed, and nodded her head.

Because Anyanka is out of the country, I want YOU to go and accept the Best Singer award on her behalf – (Harmony opened her mouth to speak, but Spike put his hand up in the recognised ‘Halt’ sign) – Let me finish (she nodded) Right, Anya’s already done her piece to camera, I just want you to go up and collect the award, and say thankyou. But, and this is important bit here, I don’t want you to do it as ‘Harmony, Teeny-bop Pop-Star’, I want you in a long evening gown, hair up, make-up immaculate, I want everyone to see that you are the height of sophistication, elegance and poise, ok – you are nearly 25 now, and it’s perhaps about time we moved on with your image, maybe even do something a little…I don’t know…raunchier – for your next song after Christmas?

Still, that’s something you can discuss with your new manager, Xander, in fact, it was he whom you have to thank for this idea – I wasn’t sure whether you could pull it off, quite frankly”

“Um, can I speak now?”

Spike nodded

“Sure – go ahead”

“I can do it! I can look sophisticated and that!”

”But can you tone down the enthusiasm a little pet, when it involves kids, bounding around like an eager puppy is fine, what we want here, is cool, calm and sophisticated.
You can talk to Xander about your change of image over dinner at the Four Seasons, have a couple of cocktails in the ‘Winds’ bar upstairs first, and we’ll throw in a limo to take you, ok?”

Harmony nodded eagerly.

“Will he agree, do you think? – I’d really like to alter my image…those kids today drove me nuts…”

Spike smiled

“I’m sure you’ll find a way to get him to agree…pretty girl like you could sweet-talk him…and I know you love to talk, and the fortunate thing is, Xander does like to listen………make a good impression on him – and well………who knows?”

“Spike…am I up for any award this year, do you know?”

“Actually – I think you’re front runner for Teen Magazine favourite female pop singer, best single AND favourite outfit”

Drumming her fists lightly on her knees, Harmony grinned.

“OOOHHH, YES!”

“Remember, the key-word here, ‘sophisticated’, don’t want any ‘Gwennie’ crying crap, just keep it simple and cool, ‘kay?” He stood up.

“Course, yes, sure!”

“Ok then, I’ve got to go – you get back to your video”

Harmony leaned back on the couch, dreaming daydreams of accepting awards with the utmost grace.

**********

“Tickets to the awards, a couple of cocktails in the Winds bar first, then dinner downstairs at the Four Seasons, and a limo to take you, she wants to discuss a change of image, to one of, well, more grown up I suppose you could say. After all, she isn’t a teenager. And all this, the whole idea, her picking up the award, being sophisticated and the possible change of image, it came from YOU, understand?” Spike said

Xander looked shocked.

“From ME?”

“Uh huh.”

“But, well, what shall I say?”

Spike rolled his eyes.

“Have I got to do EVERYTHING for you goddam it?
Look…do what you do best; LISTEN! God knows she loves to talk! Tell her you’ll think about her ideas, but, want to mull it over…that you’ll have to discuss things with Sweet, then go along with what she wants – eventually that is, let her stew a while before you agree…you might find she’ll be willing to, well, you know ‘help’ you come to a decision in her favour, ‘help’ you to persuade the Big Boss…”

“You mean … you mean she might sleep with me?”

Xander, who’d been leaning back in his computer chair with his hands clasped behind his head, suddenly sat up straight, grinning.

Spike sighed and rolled his eyes, a myriad of sarcastic remarks ran through his head, but in the end he just nodded and said – ‘yes’

Xander leaned back again, hands on top of his head this time, grinning. Then a thought hit him, and he turned towards Spike, his smile gone.

“But what if Sweet says no, and he doesn’t want her to change?”

Spike muttered ‘give me strength’ under his breath

“Then just give it to him straight! She’s 25 years old, needs to re-invent herself, and waiting in the wings on Junior Talent Time or Poppet Pop-Stars are dozens of little Harmony wannabe’s just waiting to be snapped up – he’ll agree, trust me”

Xander thought…then he slowly nodded.

“Yeah…yeah, I think you might be right!”

“Pardon?”

“I mean, yes, you ARE right!”

“That’s better. Now, just remember, all this was your idea, ok – I didn’t think she could handle it, but you persuaded me?” (Xander nodded) Spike stood up and went over to the door.

“If you want to start the ball rolling, she’s in the video editing room – see ya later, bye”

Xander looked down at his shirt, straightened his collar, and brushed imaginary bits off his trousers, he cupped his hands over his mouth and nose, exhaled and sniffed, his breath was ok…he could stop off in the Gents rest room and check his hair…

“Right then, here we go…”

He opened the door to the video editing room, and almost immediately, his arms were full of grateful, over-eager blonde, hugging and thanking him profusely for having faith in her…

“Hi, Harmony, I thought that- ooh! Oh, um…

“………And I promise, I won’t let you down, and oh thankyou! – I’ll look all sophisty- whattsit and be good, and ooohh thankyou, THANKYOU!” Harmony hugged Xander hard, kissing his cheek, and hugging him for all she was worth.

“Oh, um, erm, yeah, well um, huh, great…you’re…ooh, welcome, I’m sure!”

Xander slipped his arms around her and hugged her, grinning over her shoulder, Maybe Spike was right!

**********

Dru was twirling around, arms outstretched, laughing. Everything was floating past, a sea of colours one merging into the other, the pulse of the trance music flowed through her and became her pulse, the throbbing beat her own heartbeat, she felt alive, living, set free, she was running, flying – free at last she had her wings back, faces swam into focus and out again, laughing, drinking, living the moment, she was the music, she was the life, it flowed from her pretty fingers…and she bestowed it on all that surrounded her………

“Whose that Cec?”

“Hmm…oh, that’s Dru…she’s back!”

“Well, she’s certainly enjoying herself!”

“Yeah…wanna meet her…Dru…Dru, come here, and meet some friends!”

Cecily swayed up to her friend and stopped her spinning around.

“Come and meet my friends!”

“I’m dancing…I’m…… whoops!”

Giddy from all the twirling, they staggered to the table, Dru almost falling over, which started them both giggling.

“This is Kendra…and this is her boyfriend, Forrest”

Dru tried to focus on the couple.

“Forrest? Like, like a tree – wheeee a tree, I’m a tree…I like tree’s”

“She alright?” Forrest asked Cecily, he was frown/smiling.

“Yeah…she’s just not, you know, well, she’s been off the scene too long…”

“Well whatever’s making her happy…I want some. Got any?”

“Sure…come with me…”

The trio went off to the toilets to get themselves ‘sorted’, and was soon flying high………

Warren Meers, or rather Warren Walsh as he preferred to be known as these days because of an outstanding warrant, surveyed his kingdom from the upstairs balcony of the club. He sipped his vodka Martini, made for him by the weasely little barman, Willy.

“Hey, Willy…come here”

“Yes boss?”

“That girl down there, thin, long dark hair, the one totally off her face spinning like a top…recognise her?”

Willy came from around the bar and looked over the balcony. He looked for a few seconds, and then turned to his boss.

“Isn’t she that mad bint, the one that caused that big hoo-har when she threatened to jump off the roof of Aphrodite Records a while back – used to be in here a lot at one time…she’s with Candy Hunt, I know they used to be friends, both Brits”

“That’s what I thought…wonder where she’s come from…haven’t seen her for a good while…ok Willy, back to your station”

“Yes, boss”

*********

“Good rehearsal then!” Spike smiled as Buffy left the recording suite.

“Great”

“Um, I popped down to see the photographer, but he wanted to get off home, so I thought we could do that first thing after the show tomorrow, ok – shall we go eat now?”

“Great, coz I’m starving!”

“Well then, to Luigi’s, pronto!” Spike held the door open for her; they trotted down the stairs, signed out and left the building.


“Hmm…oh gods, this is heaven!”

“What did I tell you? I know the red-check tablecloths are a bit naff, as are the candles in wine-bottles, but you won’t find a better Lasagne al forno anywhere…here…try my cannelloni”

Spike held out a forkful, and Buffy ate.

“Hmm…and this dressing on the salad…oh gods, what’s that?” Buffy eyes followed a waiter carrying a creamy chocolate confection to another table.

“Ah, that is their famous Tiramisu. It literally means ‘pick-me-up’ It’s little Ratafia biscuits soaked in Marsala wine and coffee liqueur, with whipped cream and chocolate…I swear it’s to die for. Means another hour in the gym mind, but it’s worth it – we could share one, if you like!

Buffy smiled and said,

“Hmm, me likey!” Making Spike grin too…

**********


“UH!”

“That’s it babe, give it to her good!” Kendra encouraged, as Forrest pumped hard and fast in and out of Cecily.

“Oh fuck, oh yeah…yeah, ugh, so good, ooooohhhhh………don’t stop, don’t you DARE fuckin’ stop…ohh!” Cecily babbled.

Forrest found another gear and thrust at her with renewed vigour after taking a huge sniff of Amyl Nitrite. Kendra wafted the bottle of the fruity-smelling amber liquid under Cecily’s nose, before taking a sniff herself; then she began to suck and pull at Cec’s pale brown nipples.

Cecily’s head whipped from side to side, she was panting hard, she felt so good…

Forrest threw his head back, gasping, and Kendra knew her man was past the point of no return, so she reached down to where they were joined, and she pinched and rolled Cecily’s slippery protruding clit making the girl shriek and buck through a deep, hard orgasm. The tight squeezing of her inner muscles bought Forrest off and he came in one long hard burst shooting deep inside her.

The blonde guy lent over the girl collapsed on the bathroom floor.

“Hey…um, sorry, forget your name…you ok…huh? You alright?”

Dru stirred,

“Huh…Spike?”

“What? – You ok?”

Dru sat up, the whole room swayed; she felt her mouth saliva up. She tried to focus on the blonde guy talking to her.

“I’d come back to bed if I were you”

“You’re not………who are you?”
Dru tried to stand up, then she suddenly realised that the guy was using the toilet, and she felt slightly shocked, and shrieked.

“What are you doing?!”

“What’s it look like, I’m having a piss…so……… we gonna go again or what?”

“Oh god…I feel…I’m going to be…”
She put her hand over her mouth as she started to heave, and just about made it to the shower cubicle. Dru switched on the shower, and shuddered as cold water sprayed over her hand as she washed the vomit down the plughole.

She felt awful, her head was pounding, and her stomach felt sore. Setting about cleaning her teeth, she rinsed and spat, when a male voice from the bedroom said,

“Use the mouthwash, else I’m not kissing you again”

Frozen mid brush, Dru wandered into the bedroom, to see the blonde guy naked lying on the bed, watching a porn movie on TV, sound off. She took the brush out of her mouth.

“Who are you? – Where did you come from?”


Trying to get more coherent thoughts together, Dru knew that basically, there was something wrong here…she’d ‘come to’ on the bathroom floor, with a total stranger standing over her, and they’d apparently already shared an intimate experience that she couldn’t remember………

“Parker…sorry, forgot your name, we met at Cobra”

Just then, a giggling, and stark naked Cecily came into their bedroom, and went to a closet and opened it.

“Don’t mind me…won’t be a sec…” She took out some sort strappy leather thing and went to leave, when Dru snagged her arm and pulled her into the en-suite bathroom.

“Who the hell is HE?” Dru hissed

Cecily looked at her friend impassively, and shrugged.

“I dunno. Just somebody you latched onto in the club. What’s up, don’t you like him anymore?”

“LIKE HIM?” Dru screeched, then she dropped her voice,

“Like him? I don’t even know who the fuck he is!”

“I told you, you latched onto him in the club…I think he reminded you of Spike. You kept calling him that, anyway”

“Get rid of him!” Dru hissed

Cecily frowned

“Don’t be like that…he seemed…nice enough”

Dru’s head pounded, and she held it.

“I can’t…I can’t deal with this, I can’t stand-“

Not wanting her friend to throw a wobbly, Cecily quickly grabbed one of Dru’s hands.

“Alright, alright, calm down, calm down…... I’ll get rid of him for you…now you go back to bed and get some sleep, ok”

“Just get rid-“

“Ok, I’m doing it now…” Cecily left the bathroom.

“Um, hi…sorry about this, but my friend, she’s not feeling too well, and um-“

“Hey, you’re her! You’re that girl in the movie!” Parker grinned and pointed to the screen.

“Yeah…that’s right…so, um…tell you what…come with me, eh? Give Dru a chance to rest”

Parker didn’t need asking twice, and he bounded off the bed and followed Cecily to the other room, where Kendra and Forrest were.

Dru opened the door slightly, and checked that he’d gone. All sorts of thoughts ran through her head, as she slowly slid down the wall and started to cry.

***********

“Oh my god, what’s going on?” Buffy had directed Spike to where she lived from the restaurant. Outside her house was a police car, and a few clusters of mainly kids dotted about on the drive, pavement and lawn. Spike quickly pulled up, and Buffy got out of the car, panicking.

“S’cuse me what’s going on?” She asked the nearest officer

“It’s Buffy, she’s here!” She heard a voice say.

“It’s ok madam. Your neighbours phoned us, seems there have been small gangs of youths hanging around your house, they said they wanted your autograph”

Buffy still serious faced looked at her house. It seemed fine, except the lawn seemed a little churned up. She relaxed.

“Everything ok?” Spike came over to her.

The officer smiled and said,

“Just a few kids wanting autographs, that’s all”

Spike smiled, and said in a loud voice,

“Look kids…Buffy will be having some official photo’s done tomorrow, we’ll see you all get an autographed copy, ok?”

“Who are you?” A tall kid asked Spike

“I’m her manager, I promise we’ll bring you some photo’s and that, but you must go now and leave these people in peace, ok, is that all right officer?”

The cop nodded and the kids left.

“Sorry about that – I didn’t think!” Buffy said, still amazed at her now celebrity.

“Well, nothing you could have done really. Say! You’re that girl that won Search For a Star, right?” The cop said, grinning

Buffy couldn’t help it, and she smiled.

“Um, yeah.”

“I voted for you, my Mrs said the boy-band would win, but I know quality when I hear it!” Buffy blushed when Spike said,

“So do I! Is that it then, can she go in now?”

“Sure…do you just want to have a little check around inside, your neighbour told us you live alone. We have checked, there is no sign of a break in”

“Um, no. I’ll be fine, Spike will, I mean my manager will come in for a moment” she looked at Spike hopefully and he nodded.

“Ok then ma’am, we’ll bid you goodnight – oh hey, when does that song of yours come out?”

“Saturday, it will be released on Saturday”

“Great, goodnight, ma’am, sir” the cops got into the squad car and left

“Night, and thanks” Buffy turned to Spike.

“Tea?”

“Love some”