Chapter 9

Spike sat with his body turned towards her, and Buffy drew her legs up underneath her, they were on the sofa, both nursing a mug of tea.

“………Willow was my best friend, and she was with Oz, he was in a band, they were good too. Angel always wanted fame, so he used to hang around, always asking Oz questions. I used to like it, not because he was a great conversationalist or anything, it just made me feel less of a gooseberry. Then the prom came up, and he asked me to go with him, and then we started dating. To the movies, the Bronze…I didn’t want anything ‘heavy’, I just wanted to keep it light, but well…he could be very………intense sometimes. Then my mom became ill, and I used to spend most of my free time with her at the hospital… Or if she was allowed home, I didn’t want anybody around…he’d started auditioning for bands, and we just drifted apart. Quite frankly, I was surprised when he got into the ‘Sharks’, he couldn’t sing a note! If somebody used to put a song on the jukebox, and he started to sing, we used to tell him to shut up. Seeing him today, I don’t know what I ever saw in him!”

Spike smiled and they sipped their tea. He was thinking the same…


“So, what about you…broken loads of girls hearts, I bet!”

Buffy teased, and she was intrigued to see Spike suddenly look a little…sad? Whatever it was, it made her want to just hold him…he had a little boy lost look only for a second or two, but it made him look vulnerable, she could tell he’d been hurt.

“………So, we were always together. Our families lived on grand estates next door to one another, my father had received a knighthood for his services in the Army, while Dru’s father was born into nobility. We always played together as children, went to the same schools, university, it was inevitable I suppose, everybody thought, well, took it for granted really, that we’d end up together. Her mother had always had mental health problems, and it seemed that unfortunately, Dru followed suit. She was always highly strung. Then she got in with the ‘wrong crowd’ didn’t need me anymore…and we broke up. It hadn’t been much of a relationship the last eighteen months really…more me taking care of her, when she’d let me, that is, which seemed less and less. She’d get herself into some serious shit, drugs or protesting, vandalising property, her and her friends antics more and more dangerous, and well, it would all come crashing down around her ears, and then she’d come running back to me to pick up the pieces”


“She thought of you as her safety net?” Buffy said, and Spike nodded.

“Yes. I always did my best in the past, but well, I spoke to Charles, that’s her father, Lord Netherbourne, and he said that perhaps it was about time for some tough love, making her see sense, making her take some responsibility for her own actions might just give her the wake-up call she needed to get her life back on track. So, on his advice, I didn’t respond when she called the last time. Eventually, she threw the mother of all tantrums, and she actually got onto the roof at the studios, threatened to throw herself off. She said god and her mother had told her to do it…her mother had been dead for six years”

“Oh god, that must have been so hard for you!” Buffy felt such a wave of sympathy for Spike, she got that feeling of just wanting to hold him, again…

“It was, but I realised that I couldn’t help her anymore, and by even trying, I’d end up doing more harm than good. So I let go. She was diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic, just like her mother.
The authorities talked her down off the roof, and she was taken to hospital. When she was well enough, she went back to England. That was nearly two years ago now. In the middle of it all, that old boyfriend of yours, Angel O’Connor, he used her to get to Aphrodite Records, got her to get Sweetly to sign up his band…bunch of useless prats…sorry, but that’s why I never liked him – that and the fact that they were a talentless bunch of wankers!”

Both smiled at this, then Spike looked up.

“I’m rambling – hell, would you look at the time! And here I was, getting you home so you could have a good night’s rest!” Buffy glanced at the wall clock, and was surprised to see it had gone midnight. They’d been talking of their past relationships, previous jobs, and how things suddenly change. Spike put the mug on the coffee table and stood up.

“Will you be ok?” Buffy smiled and nodded, and asked

“Fine, will a car pick me up in the morning?”

“Oh hell, I forgot to book one. Look, as I’m coming with you, I’ll pick you up.. I’ve got the security pass to drive straight in at Burbank – so I’ll be here for you at…ten, it’ll take roughly half an hour to get there…ten, yes, ten o’clock, will that be all right with you?”

Buffy nodded

“Will these jeans be okay to wear?”

“Fine, as I say, Andrew and Larry will dress you when you get there. Well pet, I’ll be off. Sorry for keeping you up – I forget I can ramble sometimes”

“Don’t be silly, I enjoyed our talk. Oh, and thankyou for the meal”

Spike moved towards the front door, bent and picked up another note that had been pushed through the mailbox, and put it with the pile already on the hall table.

“Missed one, there you go. Goodnight then, pet, see you in the morning” he briefly wondered whether to kiss her cheek or forehead, he wanted to kiss her for real, but didn’t want to frighten her off…

Buffy came to the front door and smiled.

“See you in the morning then…um, drive carefully, won’t you” She reached and squeezed his hand, and Spike grinned, and squeezed gently back.

“Always do, pet…night-night” Buffy opened the door for him, and Spike went to go through, but turned back suddenly to face her, and it invaded her ‘personal space’, they were practically nose-to-nose, but she didn’t shift, she looked at his mouth.

“Um… I, erm…you might want to think about what you’d like to call your album” he looked at her lips, which she moistened.

“’Kay…I will.” She said barely above a whisper. Neither of them moved, then Spike took the plunge, and kissed her cheek.

“Night, love” Buffy smiled, she’d held her breath, hoping he was going to kiss her properly…she was glad she was holding the door, she was shaking slightly.

When Spike reached the bottom of the path, he turned, waved once, and then got into his car and drove off. Buffy closed and locked the door, leaning with her back to it, smiling…

**********

“………Sorry, I forgot to tell you – and her!” Anya said, laughing.

“Thanks a lot! I woke up being prodded by the end of a sweeping brush, by this old Hispanic woman saying menacingly to me, (Jenny faked a bad Spanish accent)

“Who har you, heh? What har you do-ink in Miss Anya’s bed, tell me, I call poliss now- see, I ham phonings the 911!”

If Jenny was looking for sympathy, she wasn’t getting any from her friend.

“Consuela, she is my little treasure!” Anya explained

“She’s got a vicious prod, I know that, thank god Rupert knew her and explained he’d given me your key!”

“So, never mind about all that, how did the date go?” Anya asked, Jenny could tell Anya was grinning.

“Date? – We haven’t been on it yet, it’s tonight”

“So, you didn’t have dinner with him?”

“I was in no fit state, I’d flown from Boston to Chicago, then I got the Red-eye to LA…I don’t know what bloody planet I’m on yet…”

“So, dinner tonight. I recommend the-“

“No!”

“What do you mean, no – you said the date was tonight” Anya was frowning now, confused.

“’Tis, but we aren’t going to dinner, I’ve got to work, I’m writing a piece for Men and Motor’s, about Big Truck racing, so that’s where we’re going”

“You’re taking Rupert Giles to…”

“The Big Truck race, yes”

“Oh. That’ll be fun” Anya said flatly. It was no wonder Jenny hardly got any second dates…

***********



Xander was mesmerised by the sight of Harmony’s cleavage, which sort of kept bouncing before his eyes…She was sitting very close to him talking animatedly.

“So, how about if we went and got something to eat, and discuss my career? –
Xander…hello?”

“Huh?” He managed to drag his eyes away from the golden twin mounds of her chest long enough to realise that he should be giving her some sort of answer.

“Sorry?”

“Eat? Discuss my career?”

“Now? – Um yeah! Yeah, great, why not?”

“Good. Your place?” She smiled, her brows raised high.

“Yeah, oh NO! (He made her jump shouting) Um, no, sorry…my mother, wouldn’t um, be in a……… very, good……… mood” He said, stiltedly, trying to make up an excuse, he gave her a little inane grin.

Harmony frowned,

“Your mother? You still live with your mother?”

“WHAT? NO! Ha-ha! Silly! The very idea!”
Inside, Xander was panicking.

“Then why wouldn’t she be in a very-“ Harmony began,

And desperately trying to think of a good lie to cover the truth, Xander spied one of Harmony’s vanity bags, covered in travel tickets.

“She um, she’s just staying at my place for a few days…she erm, she………f-f-flew in from, Dallas! - And she’d be tired. Don’t want to wake her, you know, jet-lag, and all that”

“Jet lag, from Dallas?” Harmony looked at him, still puzzled.

“Anyway, come on…shall we go to yours – good, what do you fancy, Chinese? Pizza? My treat of course” Xander had stood and hauled her up, it was all she could do to grab her purse and trot after him to keep up.

He’d started to sweat a little, and he just hoped she hadn’t noticed. As they waited for the lift Xander made a mental note to self, ‘get a place of your own!’

**********

With very shaky fingers, Dru tried to ‘pop’ her medication from its blister-pack. She had twelve tablets left, that was all, less than a weeks supply.

She’d have to find herself a doctor, get registered…the thought filled her with dread.

Strangers, asking questions, questions, why couldn’t they all just leave her alone…wanting answers she didn’t know, always wanting, needing, taking from her, like leeches sucking her blood…Dru began to claw and scratch at her arms, she was cold…she felt sick, and panicky, the walls were closing in on her, panting now, she’d dropped her tablets on the floor, and was now on her knees, scrabbling around for them, she could hear crying, somebody was crying, and when the tears dripped on the floor, she realised it was her………

**********

“Is he awake? Can I go through?” Cecily asked Lorne, walking through Sweet’s lounge without stopping, heading straight for her lord and masters bedroom.

“Hold on Sweet-cheeks, I’ll check if you if-“ Lorne began

Cecily got to the door, smiled and said,

“No need…I’ll soon find out!” And she slipped into Sweet’s bedroom, and closed the door behind her.

The room was dark, the curtains were closed, and the air was warm. Propped up against pillows so he could breath properly, Sweet was snoring soundly. The bedroom door opened silently, and Lorne came in carrying an iced tea, and put it on the night-stand. He said nothing, and left.

Cecily bounce-sat on the bed, and like a cheeky child, lifted the sleep-mask to his forehead.

“Daddy! Wakey-wakey…I’ve come to see you!”

A few grunts, a couple of mumbled words and a loud fart, which had Cecily frowning, she gently shook sweet by the shoulders.

“Daddy………DADDY! Wake up!”

“Huh – what, who’s tha-“

“S’me Daddy! Your little Ceccy!”
Sweet focused on the girl and smiled, made a playful grab at her and roared, Cecily shrieked with laughter as he ‘wrestled’ her to the bed. She leaned up and kissed his leering mouth lightly, and he allowed her to sit up.

“Got something for you, Daddy…hot off the press!” She took out two DVD cases from her purse and put them on the night-stand next to his tea.

“Got something for you, two!” he whipped back the bedclothes to reveal a semi-hard on.

“Ooh, Daddy! You are naughty, what shall I do with that, eh?” She closed her fingers around it, and began to pump him, firmly but slowly, hoping he could keep his erection.

“Uh…oh…yeah”

“That good Daddy?”

He didn’t reply, just pulled her head down to his lap. Taking the hint, Cecily began to lick and suck him off. Five minutes was all it took, and his whole body stiffened as he came, his watery emission flooded her mouth, and she swallowed.

“There!” she made a play of wiping her mouth on the back of her hand and Sweet sat up.

“My little girl come for her treats, has she?”

“Oh, yes please, Daddy…and I’ve got some news for you too, good news!”

“Oh?”

“Guess who’s back in town…she used to be your favourite! Well, after me of course!”

“Dru? Drusilla’s back? – When? And why hasn’t she come to see me?”

“She only flew in day before yesterday, very late, she’s still sleeping off the jet-lag…she’ll come and see you real soon, I promise!”

“Bring her to the party on Friday”

“Ooh, Daddy! We’re having a party – what’s the celebration?”

“Scooped the awards at the Indie Radio Awards…after-show party…. it’ll be just like old times…” Sweet grinned and fondled her breast, and Cecily clapped her hands and grinned, as would an excited child.

*********

“Want some of this?” Xander held out the container on stir-fried beef with straw mushrooms to Harmony

“Ooh, no thanks, it’s meat!”

“Oh, right. Hold on though, isn’t that chicken with ginger and green onion you’re eating?”

“Uh huh”

“But that’s meat!”

“Yes, but its not real meat, not like Kentucky Fried chicken meat” Harmony reasoned, crunching on a prawn cracker.

Xander frowned; he couldn’t work that one out, so he decided to let it go…

Making themselves comfy on the sofa, Harmony had put one of her pop compilation DVD’s into the player.

“Right. Now, I want you to watch this, then compare it to the other ones I’m going to show you, ok?”

“Ok!” Xander said, happily enough………

Two hours later, one glassy eyed Xander was listening to a still-perky-as-a-six-year-old-on-a-sugar-high Harmony………

“………And if you remember how short my skirt was in the ‘Rag Doll’ video, I got slammed for that in the press, but it was very popular, sold more copies than
‘The Sunshine Song.’ The video was popular for that though, I think my skirt blew up when I was on the swing…did I show you that? – Anyway, forget that, if you see the next video, when I wear the Daisy Dukes, and I bend over…but well, when I do the shows, the dads always say they like that bit”.

“Harmony!” Xander said desperately

“Yes, Pookie?”

“Can we not watch any mo – Pookie?” Xander asked, looking her in the eye.

Harmony grinned, and ran her fingers through his hair.

“Yes! You’re my little Pookie-Bear! So, do you want to see the Christm- hmm mmm………hmm……… oh!”

In a desperate attempt to shut her up, Xander kissed her. He leaned over her, broke the kiss and looked at her.
Well, she hadn’t slapped his face; that was good…

“Shall we leave the videos off now love?”

“Kay. Um…Pookie”

“Yes?”

“Will you talk to Mr Sweetly for me?”

Xander frowned, he was hoping the kiss would have had an ‘effect’ on her, but he sat up, and Harmony did so too.

“Well…I suppose I could” he said rather flatly

“I want a change of image…I’d be ever so grateful”

Xander turned to face her, thinking it was time for a bit of bullshit………

“Well, it won’t be easy of course…”

“But I’d be ever so, ever so grateful…” she shifted a little closer, and Xander spied the boobs again, and it put him off his thoughts.

“Um, I, I’d erm, well um…see, the er, um…”

“Ever so………” She was kissing him now, and Xander just felt his spine turn to jelly. She knelt up, pushed him right back on the sofa, and then lay on top of him, and Xander had every last thought leave his head………

**********

Sweetly got up off the bed, and went to a wall cabinet and opened it, selecting a case, he took it out and handed it to Cecily.

“Um, Daddy…I need a little extra…I’ve got a guest now, remember?”

“You can have more treats, when she comes to see me”

“Okay Daddy…well, this little birdie must fly…I’ll see you on Friday. I take it we’re at the usual place, the Cobra?”

Sweetly picked up the DVD’s Cecily had bought for him.

“Of course…the back room, naturally” he put one into the player

“Bye then Daddy, have fun………oh, you’ll REALLY like this one, it’s a three way, I’ve got one underneath me, one behind me, and one in my mouth…bye-ee!”

She put the DVD case Sweetly had given her into her purse, and kissing him on the cheek, she left.

“Bye Lorne. See you Friday. Hey, guess who’s back in town?”

“Whose that cup-cake?”

“Dru!”

“Really? – She all shiny new and better?”

“Well…getting there. Must run, see ya, bye!

**********

Buffy raised one leg out of the fragrant bubbly water, soaped it lavishly with a lather filled sponge, and then did the other leg. Smiling to herself, she lay back, day-dreaming about the almost kiss she’d had…

“ULP – (cough) ugh…oh (cough, cough) oh god…oh…THAT’LL teach me to fall asleep in the bath!” Buffy sat up with a start, sluiced water and bubbles from her face and coughed again. She stood and pulled the plug, she quickly dried off and went to bed, after setting the clock for 8.30am.

***

“Morning Willow, sorry I didn’t call last night, but I got in too late! – anyway, I’ve got a cell phone now, so if you need me, this is the number………and um, you may want to check out the guest on tonight’s Ethan Raine show, you might just know her, bye!”
Buffy put the phone down after leaving her friend the message and she began to check through the mail, still smiling.

Spike came dead on time to pick her up, and she was all smiles when he did! They drove to the studios in Burbank, chatting, Buffy showed no trace of nerves.

“So, kitten, you all excited, you’re first proper interview?”

Buffy’s tummy flipped when Spike called her ‘kitten’ and she beamed

“I can’t believe it’s me – it’s happening to me, I’m going to be on TV! Oh, and I had a bill this morning, well, I should say another bill, and instead of wanting to rip it up or hide it, I actually smiled at it! Now I don’t have to worry about money - That reminds me, I MUST deposit that cheque in my account there’s a branch downtown, I need some cash too”

“Ok pet, after the show, meanwhile, if you need anything, just ask, that’s what I’m here for” Spike glanced at her for a second, but then he concentrated on the road again.

“Great, I will!” She settled back in her seat, really looking forward to the day.