Chapter 11 – What’s Happening?


Slowly walking into the hospital room, Buffy felt despondent. She put a bright smile on her face when Riley looked at her, but if he had been paying attention, it was obviously fake. Fortunately, Riley wasn’t one to pay much attention to her feelings and expressions. He took things at face value, and that was proving to be beneficial at that moment.

‘And yet one more difference between him and Spike,’ Buffy thought. ‘And one more point in the Spike column…wait…there are no points, and especially no points for a vampire versus your boyfriend!’ she mentally chastised herself.

“How are you?” Buffy asked, slowly approaching the bed, nervously tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. She had decided to come back and check on him since she felt guilty about leaving him to go see Spike…but not guilty enough to stay very long.

“I’m better,” Riley replied, giving her a weak smile.

“Glad to hear it,” she said, letting her fingertips graze over his hand before entwining it with his. “And see…still touchable.”

Riley nodded, relaxing at her touch. “Give me a week or so, and I’ll take full advantage of that fact.”

Why did that phrase not offer the comfort it should have?

“I just wanted to check on you before I head home.”

“You’re leaving?” he asked, his voice edged with disappointment.

“I kind of need some sleep,” Buffy replied, feeling a little annoyed that he wouldn’t know this. ‘Give him a break, Summers. He just had surgery and probably isn’t feeling like himself.'

“You’ve probably been up all night, haven’t you?” he asked, not bothering to wait for an answer. “Where’d you go?”

‘To try and figure out why I’m seeking comfort from a man who used to be my enemy instead of staying here with you.’

“I had to get something to eat,” she said with a nod as if she was convincing herself of the fact. “You had me so worried- I couldn’t eat anything while you were in surgery.”

‘And yet another lie to add to the Buffy Fib Chart.’

“I’m sorry,” Riley said, pulling her down to the bed, serving to fuel Buffy’s annoyance that he didn’t even acknowledge that she wanted to leave.

“Why don’t you stay? Get some rest with me.”

“Riley, I really don’t think I’ll be able to sleep with you taking up the bed.”

“So sleep on top of me…I won’t mind,” he said with a smile.

“Thanks for the offer, but my bed is calling me.”

“Oh, alright,” Riley said, pouting.

Buffy let him kiss her softly, but it didn’t offer anything she needed. Jumping up from the bed as if she’d been burned, she backed toward the door. “I’ll check on you later, okay?”

“Promise?”

“I promise.”

Without waiting for a response, Buffy was out the door. She felt like she was being smothered when she was alone in a room with him. As if there was a crushing weight on her chest.

‘Even in a hospital bed, hooked up to machines, he still manages to tower over me with that overprotective vibe.’

And it wasn’t anything he said. He just wanted too much from her, and Buffy wasn’t ready to give him that much.




Lying in her bed, Buffy inhaled and exhaled sharply, trying to get over the need of going to Spike. She felt like she’d been tossing and turning for hours, and her thoughts kept turning back to the blonde vampire. Incessantly making her want to seek some much-needed comfort from him. But most of all, she was trying not to think of the other woman staying with him…alone and possibly in his bed.

Rolling onto her side, she buried her face in her pillow, gasping in surprise when she felt a strong arm gently wrap around her waist, pulling her against a hard and muscular body.

“It’s alright, luv…I’m here,” he whispered as if he knew what she was thinking. She shivered when she felt his breath tickling the bare skin of her shoulder. “I’ve got you.”

Buffy practically melted against him. She’d never felt this amount of relief before, and it was wonderful to let herself be a girl and not the Slayer for a few precious minutes. To let him take care of her and give her what she needed.

“What are you doing here?”

“You needed me,” he murmured against her skin.

“I’ve always needed you,” Buffy whispered, turning to look at him.

She reached up, gently brushing a curl off his forehead and smiling when Spike leaned into her touch, closing his eyes at the soothing gesture.

“Something’s happening to me, Buffy,” he said after a moment, opening his eyes to look at her.

“I know,” she said softly. “It’s happening to me, too.”

“I want to be with you,” Spike whispered, his lips brushing against hers as he spoke. The soft caress left her trembling, wanting more. “I’ve wanted you from the first moment I saw you.”

Buffy moved so that she was laying underneath him, thrilled at the power that he had over her. “I want you,” she whispered, pulling him down to her, feeling her pulse race with excitement when his lips ran over her neck. “I want you so much.”




With a gasp, Buffy sat up in bed, clutching the sheet to her chest and breathing heavily. Turning to look out the window, she saw that the sun was setting. With a shaky breath, Buffy closed her eyes, trying to regulate her breathing. Memories of the dream haunted her and left her with an undeniable sense of loss when she realized that he wasn’t there with her.

“What’s happening to me?”




Spike’s eyes slowly opened as the sun set. Images came back to him as he began looking around. He felt panic course through his body when he realized he was alone.

“Where is she?” he asked himself, looking around frantically. “Where’s Buffy?”

It took him a moment to realize that it had just been a dream. Bringing his legs up to his chest, Spike let his head fall into his hands. Everything felt so real- her touch, her willingness to have him close to her, the gentle feel of his lips barely brushing against hers…the way her body felt underneath his as she admitted that she wanted him.

‘This isn’t right,’ Spike thought to himself. ‘She’s the Slayer and you’re a vampire. It doesn’t work this way.’

With a sigh, Spike raised his eyes to stare at the wall of his crypt.

“Or maybe this is exactly the way it’s supposed to be.”


Thank you so much to: gypsy_jin, Seraiza, Franchesca, Kar, Dee, Essi, Bernardette, Rana, shippy, darla, blondiebear, JANE, Cordykitten, BuffyandSpikeForever, Jenn, songgal, Crystal Pegasus, Revello_1620, samica, skywolf_fem2, and glassgoddess for reviewing!