Chapter 14 – High Stakes


Spike had just settled in for the night with a tall glass of blood in one hand and the TV on when he heard the loud bang of the crypt door as it flew open and smashed into the wall. If he didn’t know better, he would have thought it was Buffy, but he would have sensed her long before she walked through the door.

Turning around, Spike stood up and glared as Riley walked into his home.

“What do you want, Soldier Boy?” he asked with a bored expression.

Not saying a word, Riley walked up to Spike and punched him in the nose.

Reeling backward, Spike slammed into the wall with the force of the blow.

“What the fuck was that?!” he yelled, holding his hand up to try and stem the gushing blood.

“Stay the hell away from Buffy,” Riley said in a menacing voice, his eyes trained on the blonde.

“And if I don’t?”

“Then you’ll be on the receiving end of my stake.”

To emphasize the point, Riley slammed another punch into Spike’s jaw.

“Maybe you’re forgetting something, you berk,” Spike said, spitting a mouthful of blood on the floor. “Her Watcher is the one who wants me to stay close to her. If you don’t like it, you can take it up with him.”

“Why should I have to when intimidating you works so well?”

Spike’s jaw clenched as he stared at the bigger man. “You actually believe that you intimidate me?”

“Considering I could kill you right now and you couldn’t do a damn thing about it? I’m thinking yes.”

“That’s not intimidation, mate,” Spike growled, resisting the urge to wipe the look off his face.

Immediately folding over when Riley’s fist impacted with his stomach, Spike was barely able to refrain from gasping for air.

“What’s the matter?” Spike muttered. “Afraid I’m gonna steal your girl?”

“Like you could.”

“Then what are you so worried about?” he asked, straightening and gritting his teeth against the pain in his ribs. “Do you not trust her?”

That earned Spike another punch to the stomach. “Stay away from her or I will kill you.”

“And what am I supposed to tell the Slayer and her Watcher?”

Spike’s eyes widened a split second before the stake came crashing into his chest, piercing his unbeating heart. Unable to do anything but groan and weakly try and shove Riley away, he closed his eyes when the stake was pulled out, Spike’s hand immediately covering the gaping hole.

“What the bloody hell…”

“Plastic wood-grain. Looks real, doesn't it?” Riley asked, grabbing Spike’s shirt. “Don't think I don't know what's going on with you, Spike. Stay away from her. Or we'll do this for real next time. Tell her about this…and I’ll make you beg me to kill you.”

Walking out the door, Spike finally allowed the pain to settle in as his body fell to the floor.




Buffy eagerly walked toward Restfield Cemetery, looking forward to patrolling tonight. Giles had been reluctant to let her go to the graveyard alone, but Buffy quickly assured him that she would be meeting up with Spike and he wouldn’t let her get hurt.

Seeing his crypt in front of her, a rare smile graced her features as she sped up her pace. She quickly knocked on the door before opening it. She knew knocking wasn’t customary for her and it would probably surprise him, but it felt like the right thing to do.

“Spike,” she called, walking through the door and keeping an eye on her surroundings. She smiled when she saw him seated in his chair, watching a tape of ‘Passions’. “Hi!” she said with a bright smile, walking around the chair and turning to face him. She frowned when she saw the serious expression on his face. “What’s wrong?” she asked, sitting down on the arm.

Spike looked up at her, surprised at the upbeat expression in her eyes. “Ummm…nothing,” he said, shaking his head.

“Something,” Buffy replied with a playful smile, poking him in the shoulder.

The lighthearted teasing in her tone made this even harder. “I can’t go patrolling with you, pet.”

Buffy frowned. Spike was facing her, and she could clearly read his lips and understand him, but he wasn’t making eye contact, and that was starting to worry her.

“Oh,” she said softly, obviously disappointed. He hated being the one who caused her good mood to evaporate. “Okay…well…maybe tomorrow then?”

“I can’t patrol with you anymore, Buffy.”

Her open expression immediately dissolved, leaving the shell of the woman who had been walking around lately. “Can I ask why?” she asked softly.

“It’s complicated,” Spike muttered.

“And you’re not going to tell me?”

“I wish I could…but I just can’t, luv.”

“I get it,” Buffy whispered, standing up and walking toward the door. She jumped when Spike caught her by the arm, moments before she walked through it.

“I’m sorry,” he said with remorse evident in his gaze. “I wish it could be different.”

“So why can’t it?” she asked miserably. “Is it me? Are you just tired of me?”

The question echoed the similar sentiment that she asked Angel after they made love. This situation was so different, and somehow, the weight of what he was going to say would impact her much more than anything Angelus said to her.

“It’s not you,” he said, shaking his head. “I just can’t…be around you anymore.”

Buffy nodded, turning around before he could see her chin quivering. “I’ll see you around,” she said in a harsh voice.

Quickly grabbing her arm again, Spike turned her to face him. “It’s not you,” he said in a strong voice. “I…I…” love you “…care about you,” he said, his eyes widening when he realized what almost came out of his mouth.

“Yeah,” Buffy said angrily. “You care. Everyone cares! Everyone cares so much that it’s going to get me killed, and then you won’t have me to worry about anymore.”

Before he made a move to grab her again, Buffy shoved him away, sending him flying ten feet as she ran out of the crypt, letting the door slam behind her.

Spike watched the door slam and tried to swallow the lump in his throat before dropping his head into his hands.





Thanks so much to: Jenn, Rana, Karbear57, shippy, Seraiza, Pari, Franchesca, blondiebear, Alicia, Ebontier, jane, gypsy_jin, GlassGoddess, pj, Cordykitten, samica, Juanita, Steph, Brat, BuffyandSpikeForever, Crystal Pegasus, & songgal for reviewing!