Chapter 15 – Intervention


Walking through the graveyard, Xander and Willow followed close behind Buffy as she searched the area. Riley was busy that night and it was decided that Buffy needed to have someone with her when she patrolled.

The Slayer seemed to be hunting, and it was a little unnerving for her friends to watch. She had already taken out her aggression on three unsuspecting vampires and a demon, and it didn’t seem to take the edge off her at all. She still had an angry look in her eyes as she scanned, trying to tune into her remaining senses.

Seeing a vampire in the distance, her friends followed after her in concern when Buffy took off running for it, uncaring of the potential danger she was putting herself in.

Launching herself at the vamp, both worriedly watched the blonde as she threw a series of strong punches and kicks, getting knocked to the ground in the process. Struggling beneath him for a moment, Buffy managed to get in two more hits before thrusting the stake into its unbeating heart. Dust exploded around her, coating her skin and clothes. Panting as she sat up and brushed herself off, Buffy barely gave her friends a second glance.

“You okay, Buff?” Xander asked when he was able to get her attention.

“Fine,” she mumbled, standing up and walking away.

Willow and Xander exchanged a look with each other. It had been a week since Spike told her he wouldn’t be helping anymore, and this was always the end result of Buffy’s patrols. They were starting to get very concerned about the destructive route that the Slayer seemed to be traveling.

“Is she gonna be okay?” Xander whispered to Willow.

The redhead looked at her friend who was busy scouting the area, hoping for another vampire.

“She’s hurting,” Willow said softly, wishing that Buffy would open up to her. After Spike told her he wouldn’t be helping her anymore, Buffy seemed to shut down. She wouldn’t allow anyone to get close enough to help her or even talk to her.

Both were surprised when a vampire came out of nowhere, launching itself at Buffy. She quickly retaliated, fighting him off as her friends stood by, waiting to intervene if necessary.

Slamming furious punches at the vamp, Buffy attempted to take out all of her frustration on it. Her friends were about to yell at her to stake him before they realized that she wouldn’t be able to hear them. Willow could see the tears streaming down Buffy’s cheeks as she pummeled the vampire, and she felt her heart ache for her friend. It seemed like everything and everyone she connected with was always taken away.

Tearing her eyes away from her friend, Willow made sure to scan the area. Even if she was at top form, Buffy would never know if something was behind her. All of her focus was on the vampire that she was beating to a bloody pulp.

Smashing her fist into its face one last time, Buffy staked the vampire and jumped to her feet. Without sparing her friends a glance, she continued walking through the cemetery, her eyes scanning the surrounding area.

The tears continued to fall down her cheeks as she walked. It had only been a week, and everything already felt too hard. She had lost the one person who she could actually talk to. She had lost the one person who didn’t treat her like she was too weak to still be the Slayer.

‘Not lost,’ Buffy reminded herself, trying to keep her anger close to the surface. Anger was easier to deal with than pain. ‘You didn’t lose him,’ she thought. ‘You were abandoned by him…soul or no soul, there was something there and it didn’t matter to him.’

She had never felt so alone.




Sunlight poured into the crypt as the door smashed against the wall. Spike didn’t need to turn around to know that it was her Watcher.

“What kept you?” he muttered, taking a long drink from the whiskey bottle in his hand.

“We had a deal, Spike,” Giles said angrily.

“Relax, Watcher, you never paid me. You didn’t lose anything,” he replied, trying to keep the remorse out of his voice.

“I’m going to lose a Slayer!”

Finally looking up and meeting the other man’s gaze, Spike sighed. “No, you’re not,” he said firmly as he sat down in his chair.

“I’m starting to think it’s unavoidable,” he said, watching the vampire carefully. “She’s getting sloppy, Spike.”

“I know,” Spike replied softly, never looking at the Watcher as he took another drink from the bottle.

“You’ve been following her?”

Spike stayed quiet for a long minute, watching the alcohol swirl around the bottle.

“Had to watch out for her,” he whispered. “Never too close or she’d know I was there, but…I had to make sure she was safe.”

“Then why did you tell her you wouldn’t patrol with her anymore?” Giles asked, becoming more frustrated. “She needs someone right now, and for reasons beyond my comprehension, she’s chosen you to be that someone, and to have that taken away is doing more damage than the hearing loss. Why won’t you help her?”

“Because apparently Captain Cardboard is more concerned about his relationship than keeping the woman he loves alive!” Spike yelled, jumping up from his chair, his jaw clenching in anger.

“Riley threatened you,” Giles said quietly, looking at the floor in disbelief.

Spike didn’t say anything as Giles sat down, trying to understand what he’d just been told.

“Spike…even if Riley threatened you, I can’t imagine why you would listen to him. The chip keeps you from harming him, of course, but I think you of all…people, would find a way around certain aspects of it.”

Taking an unneeded breath, Spike looked at the bottle, unconsciously scratching his chest where the stake had been plunged in. “The ponce was serious,” he finally muttered. “No, I’m not scared of him, but I can’t very well help the Slayer if I’m dust in the wind, now can I?”

“Of course,” Giles said with a nod of comprehension. “This is the safest way to keep both of you alive…until now.”

Spike watched in confusion as the other man jumped up and left the crypt.





Thanks so much to: Isabel, Pipergirl, Spike_rulez, Crystal Pegasus, Kar, Pin, shippy, Rachel, Franchesca, Alicia, Pari, Rana, Jenn, GlassGoddess, jane, Cordykitten, Brat, Jerrica, Darla, gypsy_jin, Mari, Juanita, pj, samica, Seraiza, Steph, blondiebear, songgal, Bridget, BuffyandSpikeForever, & Renee for reviewing! Your reviews made me laugh so much with the ‘I hate Riley’ votes!!!