Chapter 21 – Déjà vu


An uneasy feeling washed over Buffy as she said good night to her mother. Pausing on the stairs, she tried to tune into her emotions, wondering what was wrong with her. Turning and walking back down the stairs, Buffy saw her mom sitting on the couch watching television, exactly the way she’d left her less than a minute ago.

“Mom…do you feel that?”

“What, honey?” Joyce asked, looking at her daughter in concern.

“It feels like something is wrong and I don’t know what.”

Joyce looked deep in thought for a moment before answering. “Do you think it’s a Slayer thing?”

“I-I don’t know…the only time I’ve ever felt anything like this was when Angel was poisoned, but I was standing right there with him and it wasn’t this strong.”

“Do you think it’s-“

“Spike!”

Before Joyce could respond, Buffy was out the door and running toward the cemetery.




The feeling got stronger as she approached the crypt. Putting on a burst of Slayer speed, she practically knocked the door off the hinges in her rush to get through it.

“Spike?”

Looking around and calling his name, Buffy tuned in every sense to locating him. “Spike, where are you?”

‘Come on,’ she urged silently. ‘You know I can hear you, answer me.’

Walking toward the back of the crypt, she frowned when his presence didn’t seem as strong. “Spike?” she whispered with tears in her eyes, praying to anyone and everyone that he would answer.

Taking several deep breaths and forcing herself to calm down, Buffy closed her eyes, letting her feelings take over. After an excruciatingly long few seconds, her eyes flew open before she ran to the door again. Pausing for a brief moment when the night air hit her face, Buffy turned left and ran a few paces, nearly tripping as she skidded to a stop. Feeling her breath catch in her throat, she dropped to her knees, choking back the bile in her throat as she looked at the beaten vampire in front of her, lying in a pool of blood.

Cuts and bruises littered his face and body. Swelling was already beginning, and blood was pouring out of open wounds. She felt her heart stop when she realized that he was unconscious.

Dropping to her knees, Buffy’s first thought was to check for a pulse until her brain kicked in and reminded her that she wouldn’t find one no matter what.

“Spike,” she whispered in a hopeful tone, gently touching his chest, wondering if a vampire could die from blood loss.

As gently as she could, Buffy maneuvered him into a better position and picked him up. Slowly moving him toward the crypt, she was careful not to jar any of his potentially broken bones as she walked through the door.

With a sigh of relief, Buffy laid him down on top of a nearby coffin, trying to keep the tears from falling as she ran for the refrigerator and came back with a brimming cup of blood.

Slowly moving him so she was cradling his head in her arm, Buffy tilted the blood toward his mouth, hoping that the scent would entice him, even in his unconscious state.

Holding her breath when he took a small swallow of blood, she felt her heart drop in her chest when he immediately choked on it and spit out the mouthful.

“Spike, you need to drink,” she whispered as she finally let her tears fall, lowering her head to his chest as her body shook with the force of her sobs. “I can’t lose you…I can’t!”

“Buffy?”

Jerking her head up at the hoarse voice, Buffy gasped when she saw one eye open. “It’s me,” she whispered, tenderly trailing a hand over his battered cheek. “I’m here.”

With a painful grimace, Spike reached up and took her hand in his, leaving a tender kiss on the palm. “Why the long face, pet?” he asked with another cringe.

“I thought…I thought I’d lost you. What happened?”

“It’s not important,” he mumbled, turning away from her.

“Yes, it is,” she replied, walking around the coffin so she could look at him again. “Who did this to you?”

Seeing the resolve in her eyes, Spike sighed and immediately regretted the action when his ribs protested.

“It was your lover boy, Slayer.”

“Riley?” Buffy asked in disbelief, her eyes glazing over. “Wh-why?”

“Apparently, I’m taking advantage of what’s his,” Spike replied before coughing up even more blood.

Quickly rolling him, Buffy’s chin quivered at the amount of blood he was losing. “I’m not his,” she whispered, more to herself than him.

“That’s not what he says,” Spike whispered, resting his head on his arm as he closed his eyes.

“No! No, Spike, don’t close your eyes, you have to eat!”

“Too weak, luv. Got some bones that need mending.”

“You’ll get stronger, just drink.”

“I just need to rest,” he said, his voice getting weaker.

Sitting down on the stone surface, Buffy pulled him up into a sitting position, forcing him to look at her. “You need blood, Spike.”

“Where the bloody hell is it?” he asked in a resigned voice.

Taking a deep breath, Buffy nervously licked her lips before moving forward and tilting her head. Spike’s mouth dropped open when he realized what she was doing as he tried to move away. “Can’t do it, Slayer…I won’t do it.”

“You have to.”

Unconsciously licking his lips as he eyed her neck, Spike painfully shook his head. “I’ll hurt you…the chip.”

Watching as she moved closer to him, Spike had never been more nervous or aroused as she pressed her chest to his. “Then don’t hurt me,” she whispered, feeling the demon come forth as tingles of warning and anticipation went through her body.

The bloodlust was raging in him as his tongue lightly swept over her neck. He felt her heartbeat speed up in response and took a moment to run his fingers through her hair, making sure she was relaxed. The demon was oddly quiet during the tender display, not screaming at him to take what she was offering.

Spike’s brow furrowed when he realized that he saw Buffy as his mate. The realization almost propelled him away from her before he realized that she was accepting him…all of him.

“Spike?” Buffy whispered, gasping when she felt his fangs plunge into her neck, her eyes closing as he began taking deep pulls of her blood.

Feeling her heart beating rapidly, Spike pulled her closer to him, forgetting the pain he was in as he bit down harder, moderately surprised that the chip wasn’t firing. Letting his hand come up to the back of Buffy’s head, he held her to him as he continued to drink the sweet liquid.

Buffy began to feel her strength draining out of her with each swallow of blood. The feeling of déjà vu was almost too much for her as she arched her back, pushing her body against his while she waited for the all too familiar feeling of oblivion to surround her. She was beyond the point of asking him to stop, and a larger part of her was enjoying having him connected so intimately to her that she knew she wouldn’t ask even if she could.

Hearing her heartbeat dwindling, a warning seemed to pass through Spike, recognizing that she could be in danger before reluctantly pulling away. Letting the demon recede, he immediately panicked when he saw Buffy’s glazed over eyes.

“Buffy?”

Trying to shake off the feeling of helplessness, Buffy felt herself lowered onto the hard surface, vaguely making out Spike’s concerned eyes as he looked at her.

“I’m sorry, luv. I didn’t mean to take so much.”

Taking a few deep breaths, Buffy allowed her eyes to focus and offered him a weak smile.

Listening intently to her heart, Spike stared at her worriedly. “Are you okay?”

“I’ll be fine,” she whispered. “I’ve had it worse than this.”

Spike continued to stare at her, periodically checking her breathing and heart. “Is there anything I can do?”

“Hold me?” she whispered hopefully, smiling when a soft smile lit up his face.

“I can do that.”

Buffy relaxed as he lay down next to her and pulled her against his strong chest, marveling for a moment that he must already be feeling better.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered, brushing a kiss along her forehead.

“Don’t be,” she said in a soft voice. “I’m not.”






Thanks so much to: Seraiza, gypsy_jin, Kar, Crystal Pegasus, Bernardette, Pari, spufette, Rana, Alicia, jane, Pipergirl, Isabel, pj, Mari, Bridget, Brunettepet, gattaca, Cordykitten, Steph, blondiebear, Franchesca, Jessica, Jenn, songgal, karmabluez & Laine for reviewing!