Chapter 26 – …Reckless


Walking through the cemetery, Spike kept all of his senses on guard. Buffy was practically giddy after having her first night of real fun out with her friends since she lost her hearing. She was jumping around, still hyped up from spending time with her friends in a non-slaying capacity. He couldn’t help but be happy for her, but right now he was more concerned with the uneasy feeling that he couldn’t seem to get rid of.

“We should really do this more often,” she said with a bright smile. “Although, staying at your place does have its advantages,” she added with a coy look that Spike didn’t even have time to enjoy as he scanned the surrounding area.

“Luv, we’ve made a few passes. What do you say we call it a night?” he asked hopefully, trying to keep his tone neutral.

“Well, you’re certainly Mr. Crabby,” she teased, poking him in the ribs.

“I mean it, Buffy.”

“Spike, it’s my job,” she said, turning toward him, her brow furrowed in concern. “But if you’re ready to call it a night, I won’t hold it against you.”

“No,” he said in a low voice, looking into her eyes.

“Spike-“

“Not leaving you alone, pet. Don’t even ask.”

“What’s with you tonight? You were fine at the Bronze, and ever since I said I needed to patrol, you’ve been jumpy.”

“Haven’t been jumpy,” he protested. “It just doesn’t feel like a night for patrolling, that’s all.”

“If there are vamps out, then that means it’s a night for patrolling…present company excluded, of course.”

“Look, why don’t I drop you off and let you spend some time with your mum and I’ll make a few more rounds?”

“I can’t let you do that,” she said with a smile, touched by the generous offer.

“Why not?” he asked in frustration.

“And we’re back to- ‘it’s my job’.”

Turning toward her, Spike gently touched her cheek, trying to convey everything he felt for her through his eyes. “You’re not just the Slayer,” he whispered. “You’re also a girl who deserves to have a night to herself and you should spend it with your family.”

“That’s sweet, but-“

“Buffy, just do this for me.”

“Spike…”

Her eyes widened for a brief second before she clutched at his arms, trying to remain standing upright.

“Buffy?” he said, looking at her in confusion.

Gasping for air, she reached behind her back and flinched before holding up a tranquilizer dart, her eyes widening.

Spike barely had a chance to react before they were attacked. Vamping out when Buffy was practically ripped from his grasp by four men wearing all black combat gear and ski masks, Spike snarled and immediately began fighting the remaining five who were trying to keep him away.

Throwing punches and kicks as hard as he could, he ignored the pain exploding in his brain, having only one thought running through his head- get to Buffy.

“Spike!” she screamed, trying to get back to him, but the drugs were soon taking effect and she felt herself tiring, easily overpowered by the other men.

Seeing Spike fighting the remaining five, her eyes widened when she saw the blood gushing from his nose, knowing that the chip must be going crazy.

“Buffy!”

Still semi-conscious, Buffy felt herself hoisted into the air, and her brain could barely function enough to understand the only sound she could hear- the sound of Spike’s voice.

“Spike,” she whispered weakly, seeing him fade into the distance before she was unceremoniously thrown into the back of a van.

Fighting against the pain, Spike felt as if his head was going to explode. Taking another hard hit, he slammed his fist into the closest person he could come in contact with, putting every amount of force behind his fist before he collapsed to his knees. Feeling the world slipping away, her voice was still ringing in his ears.

“Buffy.”




“You didn’t tell us that she would have a vampire trying to defend her,” the man said, dropping the Slayer in a heap on the floor. “It would have been nice to have the heads-up before going into that.”

“You took care of him?” the other voice asked.

“We didn’t have any stakes, but something happened to make him grow weak. We left him where he was. With any luck, he’ll be meeting the sunrise.”

“Good.”




“Giles!” Spike yelled, bursting through the door of the Watcher’s house. He didn’t know how long he’d been out, but he knew that every second was crucial. “Giles!”

Frantically running through the short hallway, Giles froze when he saw the blood pouring out of the vampire’s nose, spilling down his shirt and onto the floor.

“Spike, what happened?” he asked, handing him a towel.

“Buffy. Someone took Buffy,” he said, nearly collapsing against a stool as he remembered the fear in her eyes, and the pain continued to overwhelm him- both physical and emotional. “They took her,” he said in a low whisper, letting his head fall into his hands. “They took her.”

“Who?” Giles asked, getting over his shock. “Who took her, Spike?”

“I don’t know! They were human. Wore masks, shot her with a tranquilizer and loaded her into the back of a van.”

“Dear Lord,” Giles muttered. “And you fought them? You fought, even with the chip?”

“I tried,” he whispered, feeling the despair setting in as the tears began to fall down his cheeks. “But I couldn’t get to her…God, I couldn’t get to her.”

“I’ll call everyone. We need to formulate a plan,” he said, the Watcher side of him kicking in as he made his way for the phone before turning back to face the distressed man. “We’ll get her back, Spike,” Giles said in a soothing tone that only he seemed to have. “We will.”




Thanks so much to: Blazing Fire, Pari, Bernardette, Bridget, shannaya, Rana, Rachel, spuffette, Karbear57, Franchesca, Steph, Mari, Cordykitten, Jenn, Alicia, Crystal Pegasus, spikes eternal lover, pj, gypsy_jin & Tasha for reviewing!