Chapter 30 – Finding Answers


Walking into the kitchen, Buffy crossed her arms over her chest, giving a slight nod to the man standing in front of her.

“Riley,” she said softly. “You wanted to talk?”

“I’m leaving,” he said bluntly, hoping for some kind of reaction from the woman he still loved.

“Because of me?”

“It’s a big factor.”

Buffy nodded, looking down at the counter that separated them. “I’m sorry to hear that.”

“Are you?”

Raising her eyes to his, Buffy sighed. “You need to do what makes you happy, Riley. We’re not together anymore and you shouldn’t put your life on hold waiting for me to come back because…it’s just not going to happen.”

Both stayed quiet for a long minute before Buffy spoke again.

“Where are you going?”

“The military wants me back. I’m leaving tonight.”

Taking a deep breath and wanting to be a bigger person, Buffy nodded as she walked around the island and gave Riley a hug. “Take care of yourself.”

“You, too,” he whispered, holding her close.

Pulling away at the sound of a throat clearing, Buffy turned around to see Spike leaning against the doorframe, one eyebrow raised.

“Bye, Buffy,” Riley said, giving her a soft smile before turning and walking toward the blonde vampire. “I don’t like you,” he said in a low voice. “But I’m trusting that you’ll take care of her.”

Narrowing his eyes slightly, Spike studied the other man for a long moment before nodding. “Till the end of the world.”

Riley nodded before walking out of the room.

“Should I be worried?” Spike asked, studying her.

“What do you think?” Buffy replied, crossing her arms over her chest.

“What did he want?”

Looking down for a moment, she tried to ignore the nagging feeling that yet another man had dropped out of her life. Feeling comforted when Spike came to stand in front of her, Buffy closed the distance between them and wrapped her arms around his waist.

“What’s wrong, pet?” Spike whispered, kissing the top of her head.

“Promise me you’ll never leave me,” she murmured, her voice muffled against his chest.

“I promise,” he said softly, pulling back to look at her. “What brought this…he’s leaving?”

“Yeah.”

“And how do you feel about that?” he asked skeptically.

“Scared,” she admitted. Seeing the pain that flashed across Spike’s face, Buffy quickly shook her head. “I just push everyone away from me and I’m so scared that I’m going to do the same to you.”

Breathing a sigh of relief, Spike pulled her closer to him, leaving a soft kiss on her lips. “I’m here,” he whispered, pressing his forehead against hers. “I’m not like the others.”

“I know,” Buffy said with a nod, opening her mouth to say more when she saw a movement over his shoulder.

“Buffy,” Giles said from the doorway. “I wonder if I could have a moment?”

Taking a deep breath, she nodded. “Let me guess,” she said, sitting down on one of the barstools. “Travers told you about the prophecy.”

Hesitantly glancing between the two blondes, Giles leaned against the island, studying their interaction for a moment. Seeing the protectiveness that Spike was showing his surrogate daughter as he gently touched the small of her back and offered his silent support, he felt slightly better at the idea of his Slayer becoming involved with another vampire.

“He did,” Giles replied, cleaning his glasses. “Is there a possibility that it could be true?” he asked, never looking up.

Shooting a nervous look at Spike, Buffy was able to moderately relax when he took her hand in his and gave it a gentle squeeze.

“It…could be.”

“I thought as much,” Giles muttered with a sigh as he put his glasses back
on.

“But I don’t think it’s about me.” Suddenly aware that she had the undivided attention of both men in the room, Buffy seemed to shrink under their gaze.

“Why do you say that?” Giles asked, seeing the disappointment that flashed across Spike’s face.

“It’s just…the prophecy didn’t mention me by name. Travers said he was going after Faith, too, so he didn’t even know who it was about. Was it just an excuse? Was he just looking for a reason to kill me?”

“I really don’t know. I’ll call Wesley and see if he can find anything through his books. You should get some rest. If you need me, I’ll be at the Magic Box.”

Buffy nodded, biting her lip when Giles left the room. “You’re awfully quiet,” she whispered, not bothering to turn around.

“Sorry, pet,” he mumbled.

“You want it to be about us, don’t you?” she asked, turning around to face him.

“To experience something so wonderful that I never thought I could have?” he asked, gently caressing her cheek. “I already have that with you.”




Opening the front door several hours later, Buffy frowned when she saw Giles standing on the porch, a distraught look on his face.

“What’s wrong?” Buffy asked.

“I wasn’t able to locate much about the prophecy,” he said, walking into the house and letting Buffy close the door behind him.

“What about Wesley?”

“I tried to call the hotel and I was repeatedly connected to an automated service. Apparently they no longer have a phone.”

“Why would a detective agency cancel their phone service?” Buffy asked, feeling Spike walk up behind her.

“I’m not sure. Surely Angel would have contacted one of us if he was changing locations again.”

“Do you think something happened?” she asked with a nervous tremor in her voice that didn’t go unnoticed by Spike.

“I’m really not sure.”

“So I guess that means I’m going to L.A.”

“I think that might be for the best,” Giles said, watching Spike turn around and walk out of the room. “And I think it might be wise to stop by Stockton first.”

“What’s in…Faith,” Buffy said with a sigh and a nod of understanding.

“Travers wasn’t working alone,” he pointed out.

“Alright. I’ll get any information I can from her and give her the head’s up.”

“And I don’t think it would be wise to go by yourself.”




Walking outside, Buffy smiled when she saw Spike leaning against the railing, smoking a cigarette.

“Hey,” she said softly, biting her lip when he didn’t respond. “Would I be a complete idiot if I asked you what was bothering you?”

“You’re going to L.A.?” he asked, closing his eyes when Buffy stepped behind him and wrapped her arms around his waist.

“I am,” she murmured. “The sooner, the better.”

Spike stayed quiet as Buffy began kissing his leather-covered back.

“Are you going to stay out here and pout all night?” she asked, smiling softly when Spike turned around to face her, an angry expression on his handsome face. “Or are you going to get your ass in gear and start packing?”

Confusion immediately marred his features before his eyes widened. “You want me to come with you?”

“Well…yeah,” Buffy replied, turning toward the house. “Unless you don’t want to, in which case I really need to-“

Buffy squealed when Spike’s arms wrapped around her waist, pulling her to him for a passionate kiss. Eagerly clutching at his duster, she practically melted in his embrace. All too soon, Spike was pulling away, pressing his forehead against hers. “Try to stop me.”




A/N Yep, we get rid of Riley only to have Angel entered into the mix in a chapter or two ;-) But remember what time period this is for “Angel” and exactly what is it that they’ll be walking into?


Thanks so much to: Cordykitten, Seraiza, Mari, spufette, gattaca, Bernardette, Caitie, Steph, Franchesca, Pari, Bridget, revello_1620, stace, BuffyandSpikeForever, Alicia, pj, blondiebear, spikes eternal lover, Kimber, Crystal Pegasus, gypsy_jin & Rana for reviewing!