Chapter 31 – One of Darkness, One of Light


Going through all of the security checkpoints seemed like a piece of cake now that Buffy was actually sitting in the small visitor booth, staring through the glass and waiting for Faith to appear. Her nerves were setting her on edge and she definitely didn’t want a repeat performance of their last encounter.

Seeing the brunette led in by a guard, Buffy felt the insane urge to stand. She didn’t know if it was a defensive maneuver or because she felt marginally responsible for the other Slayer ending up here, but whatever it was, she kept her seat.

Sitting down across from her, Faith slowly picked up the phone, keeping eye contact the entire time.

“They told me my sister was here. I figured since I didn’t have a sister, I might as well see who cared enough to lie so they could see me. Is that you, B?”

“You look good, Faith,” Buffy replied, ignoring the other comment. The dark make-up and harsh hairstyle were gone, leaving her with a healthy glow, and Buffy was surprised that she felt relieved to see it.

“You, too,” Faith said, leaning back in her chair. “But I have a feeling this isn’t a social visit.”

“Not really,” she said with a soft smile.

“I find it really hard to believe that you need my help with anything, and you definitely don’t need my advice, so what brings you here?”

“Several things actually,” Buffy admitted. “This might sound a little strange, but have you…seen Angel lately?”

“Not in a few months. He stopped by, said that he sang Manilow for a bunch of people-”

“Excuse me?” Buffy interrupted with a smile as Faith laughed.

“Yeah, I wanted more information, too, but he said he didn’t want to dwell on it.”

Sharing a smile, Buffy took a deep breath. “So how’ve you been? Really?”

“Not too bad,” Faith replied with a shrug. “Three squares a day, roof over my head, it could be worse. What about you?”

“Lost my hearing.”

“And since you’re sitting here with a phone to your ear, I’m guessing it wasn’t permanent?”

“It was meant to be fatal,” Buffy replied. “Quentin Travers got it in his head to wipe out the two existing Slayers and restart the line.”

Glancing around for a moment, Faith licked her lips before speaking. “Did you take care of him?”

“Giles did. Called in a few favors to make sure he would stay behind bars for good…but he kidnapped me and he had several helpers accomplish that task, so they might still be working for him.”

“Meaning I should watch my back,” Faith said with a nod.

“Basically.”

“And why else are you here?”

Buffy leaned forward, taking a deep breath before speaking. “Another reason Travers decided to kidnap me is because there’s a prophecy.”

“Isn’t there always?” Faith asked with a smile. “What’s it say?

“A Slayer and a vampire are supposed to have a baby who will-“

“Save the world or destroy it? The whole darkness versus light thing?”

“Yeah,” Buffy said quietly.

“And you’re asking me about this? You’re the one who’s gotten bouncy with the undead, B, not me.”

“Well, I thought it was worth a shot. The last time I saw you, you and Angel looked a little…close.”

“Not that close,” Faith replied, shaking her head. “I guess this one’s all you.”

“It doesn’t mention anyone by name. At least, that’s what I think, since Travers was coming after both of us, but we haven’t found out a lot about the prophecy.”

“It’s not me…I’m a little too dark,” Faith said softly. “If the prophecy was about me, it definitely wouldn’t be good. Any child I might have had would definitely bring about the destruction of the world.”

“You’re being a little hard on yourself, don’t you think?”

“Come on, B,” she said with a smile, hiding her true feelings. “One of darkness and one of light coming together to make a child that could go either way? You and I both know that it’s gotta be about you. And why are you asking if I’ve seen Angel? Wouldn’t you know where he was, considering the prophecy requires ‘a vampire and a Slayer’?”

Buffy cleared her throat. “If it is about me…it wouldn’t be about me and Angel.”

Raising an eyebrow, Faith laughed softly. “And who would be next on the list?”

“I don’t think you know him. His name’s Spike.”

“Spike?” she repeated, whistling softly. “Damn, you just know all the hot vamps, don’t you?”

“You know Spike?” Buffy asked, suddenly apprehensive.

“The, um, the body swap.”

“He didn’t mention it,” she said, almost to herself.

“Don’t worry. I just messed with him a little bit. I swear nothing happened,” Faith said, a nervous look crossing her face.

“It’s okay,” Buffy said with a smile, seeing the guard checking the clock. “We just haven’t been able to get a hold of Wesley, so we’re on our way to L.A. and see what’s up.”

“I wish I could help, but I haven’t heard anything.”

“It’s okay,” Buffy replied, watching the guard as he started walking toward them. “I think our time’s about up. Take care of yourself.”

“You, too,” Faith said. “And, B?”

“Yeah?”

“If you see Angel…could you ask him to stop by? It gets kind of lonely in here,” she said with a hopeful look.

“I will,” she said with a gentle smile. “You really do look good, Faith. You did the right thing.”

“Yeah,” Faith said with a sigh, looking at the glass that separated them. “Sometimes it doesn’t feel that way.”

“You did,” Buffy reaffirmed with a nod. “I’m proud of you.”

“I’m glad one of us is.”

“Look, if you ever need anything…”

“I know where to find you.”

“Faith,” Buffy said before the brunette put down the phone. Waiting until she looked up before she continued, “About the sister thing? I do care enough to lie for you.”

Seeing the smile on the other Slayer’s face, Buffy eagerly returned it.

“Thanks,” Faith whispered.





Thanks so much to: Kate, spufette, Franchesca, Bernardette, Kar, BuffyandSpikeForever, Jennice, Seraiza, Rana, Revello_1620, Jerrica, blondiebear, Pari, gypsy_jin, Caitie, songgal1, gattaca, Esther, pj, Cordykitten, Kimber, spikes eternal lover & Steph for reviewing!