Chapter 35 – Can’t Take My Eyes Off You


Walking into the karaoke bar a few hours later, Buffy took in the pleasant décor with a slight smile. “Gee, for a demon, this guy sure doesn’t like his place to be…demony.”

“I guess it would ruin the atmosphere,” Spike said with a shrug. “What was it that the vampire said?”

“Aside from the various screams?” Buffy asked with a smile.

“Yeah,” he replied, looking around. “And for future reference, pet, it’s not exactly considered fair play to continue beating the informant while he’s talking.”

“He pissed me off,” she said with a shrug. “And he checked out my ass. I would think you would be the one who wanted me to beat him.”

Finally turning to her with a raised eyebrow, Spike’s arm snaked possessively around her waist. “Well, considering I didn’t know that- why didn’t you torture him?”

Rolling her eyes, Buffy laughed. “He said to look for the green guy that’s usually around the bar or the stage.”

“I think we’ve found our man,” Spike said, letting go of Buffy’s waist and grabbing her hand as they walked through the crowded club.

Seeing the demon turn around when they approached, Buffy was surprised at the welcoming smile that was offered.

“Welcome to Caritas, kiddies. I’m Lorne the Host and I’ll be at your service this fine evening, although I think you’ve already serviced the young lady for the both of us,” he said with a wink at Spike.

Buffy blushed as Spike growled in response, taking a step closer to the demon before she put her hand on his chest. “I think he’s kidding,” she said softly before turning back to the Host. “We were told you could help us.”

“I’ll be happy to help, just as soon as you make your way up to that lovely stage and sing your little heart out.”

“Ummm…I don’t think that’s the kind of help I was looking for.”

“I’m able to read your destiny by whatever comes out of those pretty pipes. Trust me, sugar,” he said with a smile, putting his hand on the small of Buffy’s back and leading her toward the stage. “It will be exactly what you’re looking for.”

Buffy’s eyes widened as she stepped onstage, hesitantly choosing a song before looking for Spike in the crowd. She could see him leaning against the bar as Lorne approached and stood next to him, both of their attention focused on Buffy.

Taking a deep breath when the music started, Buffy hesitantly began singing.

“So dear to me
Always keep me company
Who needs to go outside
I will be your silent bride
I can't take my eyes off you.”

“Shouldn’t you be watching her?” Spike asked, turning toward Lorne, who was avidly staring at him.

“I would if I couldn’t read you like a book."

“What do you mean?”

“You really need to let go of some of your insecurities, sweetie.”

“Nothing ever needs to be said
You send your message
right into my head
You fill me up when I'm alone
So soothing is your monotone.”

“I’m not insecure,” Spike finally mumbled.

“Oh really?” he asked, turning toward him. “So you don’t worry everyday when you wake up that you’re going to lose that woman, whether it be to death or another man?”

“That’s a pretty common fear among most men,” he replied softly.

“But not among a vampire and Slayer. Not when they have the feelings that you two have for each other. And not when they’ve each claimed the other.”

“I can't take my eyes off you
I can't take my eyes off you
So maybe you're not as real
as the others.”

“I love her,” he whispered.

“And the feeling is mutual.”

“I don’t think so,” Spike said softly.

“Then you shouldn’t think so much,” he retorted with a grin. “The feeling is mutual.”

“How do you know?”

“Because few things shine brighter in this world than a woman in love.”

“That’s what you’re reading?”

“No, sugarplum,” the Host said, taking Spike by his shoulders and turning him toward the stage. “That’s what I see.”

“But I choose you over all my past lovers
For they have come and they have gone
but I can always turn you on
I can't take my eyes off you
I can't take my eyes off you.”

Spike stared at Buffy as she sang the last notes of the song, staring directly into his eyes the entire time before he made his way through the bar and eagerly took her in his arms when she stepped off the stage.

“I love you,” he murmured into her hair.

Buffy didn’t say anything as she tightened her hold on him, feeling emotions well up inside of her before reluctantly pulling away from him with watery eyes. Seeing the Host standing behind them, Buffy sniffled slightly. “Can you help us?”

“I’d like to. Unfortunately, you don’t need my help.”

“Then why the bloody hell-”

“You need the help of the person who is about twenty feet to your right.”

Turning toward the front door, Buffy gasped when she saw Wesley walk in. Making her way over to him with Spike and Lorne behind her, she noticed the shocked expression on his face as she approached.

“I have never been so glad to see you,” she said, restraining herself from hugging the other man.

“Buffy, what are you doing here?”

“Trying to find you, and I ended up finding a demented version of Angel instead.”

“So you’ve seen him,” he said softly.

“Yeah, and don’t think we won’t be talking about that, Mister.”

“At the risk of sounding redundant, what are you doing here?”

“Apparently there’s this big prophecy, and Giles sent me and Spike on a wild goose chase to track you down.”

“Spike? William the Bloody?” he asked, looking over her shoulder at the blonde man.

“Yeah, but you don’t understand. He’s…”

Buffy trailed off, not knowing what to say. ‘He’s good... he won’t hurt you...he’s my lover?’

“I won’t hurt anybody,” Spike filled in, taking the problem out of her hands.

“You don’t happen to know where Cordelia is, do you?”

“We’re in the process of starting a new agency after we were downsized against our will.”

“Is she there right now?” Buffy asked hopefully.

“She is. I’ll take you both there and you can tell me about this prophecy.”

Buffy nodded before turning back to Lorne.

“Thanks,” she said, giving him a smile.

“Don’t trust everyone,” he said, studying the young woman in front of him.

“What do you mean?” Buffy asked, reaching for Spike’s hand and clutching it in a firm grip.

“You might be advised to take some unusual…advice at some point. Don’t always trust it.”

“And when will this happen?” Spike asked, tilting his head in confusion.

“I’m guessing right around the time that the little bunny in the oven decides to make an appearance,” he said with a gentle smile.

“What?” Spike asked in hopeful disbelief.

“Oh, you had to know,” he said, his smile growing broader.

“W-when did it happen?” Buffy asked.

“I don’t think you need me to answer that,” Lorne said in a soft voice.

“B-but I was kidnapped,” she said with uncertainty. “I was injected with some poison and wouldn’t it hurt the baby?”

“Under normal circumstances, yes, but not when there are some mystical barriers around it, preventing anything from happening,” he said. “Someone up there is on your side for this baby to be born. But like I said, don’t trust everyone.”

“And we can trust you?” Spike asked skeptically.

“I can vouch for him,” Wesley spoke up, still stunned by the news that his former Slayer was having a baby and it seemed the father was one of the most vicious vampires ever recorded.

“Take care of yourself,” Lorne said, giving her a hug. “And if you need me, you know where to find me.”

Turning to look at Spike in amazement, Buffy’s stunned look faded away when she saw the beaming smile on his face. “We’re going to have a baby,” she whispered, seconds later, feeling herself wrapped in his arms, lifting her into the air as she was spun around in a circle before he carefully lowered her to her feet.

“You’re going to make me a father,” he said softly. “I can’t believe it.”





A/N The song is Melanie Doane’s “I Can’t Take My Eyes Off You”

Thanks so much to: Seraiza, gypsy_jin, Bernardette, Kar, Rana, Crystal Pegasus, Franchesca, revello_1620, Alicia, spufette, Cordykitten, Bridget, Caitie, Jenn, Kimber, BuffyandSpikeForever, spikes eternal lover, Mari, pj, gattaca, Laine, songgal1, Esther & SpuffyLovingJess for reviewing!