Chapter 43 – A Lifetime of Happiness


“She’s crying,” Spike murmured, gently kissing Buffy’s shoulder.

“My turn?” she asked with a yawn.

With a gentle smile, he shook his head. “I just got in,” he whispered. “I’ll go.”

“You’re the best,” she mumbled, waking up a little bit more and peeking at Spike out of one eye. “Any action tonight?”

Spike chuckled as he climbed out of bed. “You know it, baby. Four propositions in two hours.”

“They better be dust before they try and tempt you with those propositions,” she replied, suddenly waking up a little bit more as jealousy flooded through her.

Leaning over and brushing a tender kiss across her forehead, Spike looked Buffy directly in the eyes, making sure she saw the sincerity and truthfulness in his gaze.

“No one could ever tempt me, luv,” he whispered, letting his fingertips caress her cheek. “You’re all the temptation I can handle.”

Buffy smiled gratefully, watching Spike walk out the door and across the hall to the nursery. Closing her eyes, she tried to let some much-needed sleep wash over her. Becoming more aware of Spike and their daughter, she had to smile when she heard him singing softly in the next room.

Pushing herself into a sitting position, she slowly climbed out of bed.

When Buffy had been discharged from the hospital, Spike had promptly driven them to an apartment complex, not far from Joyce’s house. Buffy had been thrilled that they had a place of their own, not wanting to be a burden for her mother. The apartment was small, but they didn’t need much space and it allowed them to still have a little space from the baby at night, while being close to her at the same time.

Walking across the hall, a smile lit up her face as she watched Spike gently rock the baby girl back and forth. Seeing Buffy in the doorway, he gave her a wink before continuing the soothing motions.

Watching Kelley slowly close her eyes, she smiled as Spike carried her over to the small cradle, gently laying her down. Pressing a kiss to his fingers, her heart swelled when she watched him brush his fingertips across the baby’s cheek. “Sweet dreams, princess,” he whispered.

Walking toward Buffy, he could see the tears in her eyes and wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her toward him and leaving a searing kiss on her lips. “I wanted you…to get some sleep,” he said, pressing his forehead to hers.

“What can I say? I could never resist a man with a baby.”

Spike growled low in his throat, picking Buffy up and carrying her to their bedroom in the small apartment. “I better be the only man you can’t resist,” he said in a husky whisper.

“You know you are,” she murmured, feeling a thrill rush through her as he stared at her through lust-filled eyes.

Playing with the sash of her satin robe, a slow smirk came over Spike’s lips. “Can I unwrap my present now?” he asked in a seductive whisper.

“Have you been a good boy?” Buffy teased.

“Always,” he said with a smile. “What’s underneath, Goldilocks?”

Letting the robe float to the floor, Spike felt his mouth go dry at the sight of her bronzed, toned body in front of him.

“Is it safe?” he asked in a choked voice. “It’s only been a few weeks.”

“It’s safe,” she said in a reassuring voice. “Slayer healing, remember?”

A look of relief crossed his face before he nodded.

“I love you,” he whispered, letting his hand trail along her arm as he guided her toward the bed.

“I love you, too,” she said with a soft smile, sitting down on the bed and immediately working on his belt as he pulled his shirt over his head.

Shoving his pants down his legs, Buffy licked her lips and suppressed a giggle when Spike groaned at the glimpse of her tongue peeking out. Sitting back to admire his naked body for a moment, she let her hands gently run along his muscular legs, trailing upward until they rested on his narrow hips.

Leaning forward, she gently let her tongue trail along the tip of his hard shaft, gasping when he pushed her back on the bed and entered her in one swift movement. Gripping his shoulders and letting her muscles constrict around him, she smiled when Spike moaned.

Wrapping her arms around him, she pulled him closer to her as they began to hesitantly move together. Pushing into her, Buffy felt her stomach tighten when his hips met hers. Meeting each gentle thrust, she’d never felt her need for him spiral out of control so fast. This was the first time they’d made love since the baby was born and the relief that she felt was immeasurable. Her mind was no longer wondering if this could be the last time they would be together, because it wasn’t…it was the first. It was the first time she could freely be with him and not have to worry about what could happen the next day.

She felt him kiss along her jaw and down her neck, causing her breath to catch in her throat. Raising her hips to meet his, she moaned when he thrust harder inside of her, causing her body to nearly lose control.

Spike could feel his mark calling to him. He could feel the craving in her body as she silently called for him to claim what was his. Cradling her body to his, he gently licked the area around the mark, smiling against her skin when Buffy thrust upward, becoming more frantic for any kind of release.

“Please,” she murmured, her eyes closed as waves of pleasure seemed to wash over her with every movement he made.

Not waiting to be asked twice, Spike eagerly plunged his fangs into her neck, taking a large swallow of her blood and feeling the power flow through him. Buffy moaned, curling her body up to meet his, wanting as much contact as he could give her. Feeling his fangs leave her neck, she gasped and shook her head.

Grabbing the back of his neck, she guided him back to his mark.

“I don’t want to hurt you,” he whispered.

“You won’t,” Buffy replied in a quiet voice, seeing stars explode behind her eyes when his fangs cut into her throat for the second time.

Holding her close to him as he pulled on her blood, Spike thrust his hips against hers, ripping his mouth away from her skin when her muscles tightened around him as she bit his shoulder to muffle her scream. Pulsing deep inside of her, Spike stayed still for a long moment, looking into her eyes as they shined with love, so much love and affection he could have sworn he felt his heart beat.

“You’re mine,” Buffy whispered, a small smile playing on her lips as her hand gently traced the sharp contours of his cheekbones.

“And you’re mine,” he replied, leaning forward to give her a tender kiss that quickly escalated in passion. “Always.”

“Forever,” she whispered, settling more comfortably against him.

It wasn’t over, it may never be over. There would be challenges and trials to face in the coming years, but it didn’t matter. It didn’t matter what was in their past or how they had become the people they were meant to be. The only thing that was important was who they were now. Because when she was with him, she’d never felt more alive.

A sliver of happiness is better than a lifetime of loneliness and a lifetime of happiness is something to never stop looking for.





THE END







A/N More than 1600 reviews on two sites- you guys are amazing!!!! Thanks to everyone who supported this story and stuck with it until the end. I cannot express how grateful I am to all of you! I have no immediate plans for a sequel, but if anyone has any ideas, feel free to e-mail me or post them on my LJ and I’ll try and come up with something. I have several stories in the works, but I appreciate any ideas that are offered (and will give credit, if I use your idea, of course). Thank you!




Thank you so much: Caitie, Bernardette, pj, spufette, TammyAsh666, Mari, Bridget, gypsy_jin, Isabel, BuffyandSpikeForever, Rana, Angie K., Crystal Pegasus, Renee, Kimber, Franchesca, Seraiza, Laine, AmyB., skywolf_fem2, Spikes Eternal Lover, Alicia, Cordykitten & gattaca for reviewing!!!