Chapter 6 – Regaining Confidence


Staring into her closet for several minutes, Buffy worried her bottom lip as she tried to decide what to wear.

“It’s not like it’s a date…you’re just going patrolling, and then you’ll stop by the Magic Box,” she muttered to herself. “And Riley will be there so you want to look nice for him,” she said with a nod, putting an end to her own disturbing conversation with herself.

Slipping into a pair of black leather pants and a red tank top, Buffy didn’t even comprehend that she was wearing Spike’s favorite colors. Walking downstairs, she said goodbye to her mom before walking out the door. She saw Spike walking up the street and met him halfway.

“Slayer,” he said with a nod of greeting, letting his gaze peruse her body and admire the soft curves that were barely concealed.

“Hi, Spike,” Buffy replied with a smile, surprising him since it looked genuine.

The two started walking in silence, Buffy watching him out of the corner of her eye in case he said something to her.

“How will this work?” she asked after a few minutes, looking over at him as they walked.

“Patrolling? Stake through the heart, decapitation…I’d think it would be fairly simple by now. You’ve been the Slayer for how long?”

Buffy swatted Spike on the shoulder, giving him a fake glare when he chuckled.

“Alright, Slayer…you fight, I watch your back, that’s how it works.”

Buffy’s brows furrowed as she looked at him. “You’re not going to help me?” she asked, apprehension creeping into her voice.

“If you need it,” Spike replied with a nod. “But I don’t think you’ll need it.”

A smile seemed to light up Buffy’s face at the vote of confidence. They continued to walk in silence until they reached a cemetery. Buffy turned around to face Spike, leaning against a headstone and letting her eyes scan the area. She kept expecting her vision to improve, but since she was the Slayer, her eyesight didn’t need any improvement. Spike was the only vampire she had been around since the incident, and he no longer set off her ‘spidey sense’. She didn’t really know what to think about that, but ever since Willow’s spell had gone wrong the year before and they thought they were engaged, something about Spike felt right to her.

“What are you thinking about, pet?” Spike asked, tilting his head to study her, making sure that she could see him as he spoke.

Buffy smiled slightly. “Actually, I was thinking about Willow’s spell from last year.”

Spike’s eyes widened. He had tried to put that day behind him…to put the feel of her lips against his behind him. “And why are you thinking about that?” Spike asked skeptically, suddenly finding his chipped black nail polish very intriguing instead of looking in her eyes.

Buffy worried her bottom lip, debating about whether or not she should tell him.

‘He does seem like he genuinely wants to help, Buff,’ she told herself. ‘What can it hurt…what’s the worst that can happen?’

“Ever since the spell, you’ve seemed different.”

“Different?” Spike asked, looking up at her in confusion.

“Not you,” Buffy clarified. “I just…it’s like I know it’s you, even if I can’t see you…I feel you.”

Spike watched Buffy lower her head in embarrassment. Gently reaching forward and tilting her chin up to look at him again, Spike studied her face for a long moment before speaking. “Do you think it’s something left over from the spell?”

“No,” Buffy said softly, shaking her head. “I don’t.”

Spike took several unneeded breaths as he looked into her eyes. He opened his mouth to respond before gritting his teeth when he saw a movement over her shoulder.

Buffy noticed the change in demeanor and turned to look behind her, seeing the newly risen vampire. Instantly on her guard, she whipped out a stake and focused all of her remaining senses on the impending fight.

Spike took a step back, crossing his arms over his chest and watching as the Slayer ran toward the vamp and leveled him with a swift kick to the head. He had to smile, loving how she moved when she fought. He noticed that her form seemed a little off, but he attributed that to the fact that she had to rely on her other senses.

Instinctively taking a step closer to her when she took a particularly hard hit, Spike smiled when she spun around and thrust the stake into the vamp’s chest without even breaking a sweat.

Wiping her hands and catching her breath as she turned to face Spike, Buffy gave him a soft smile before tucking the stake into the back of her pants.

“How’d I do?” she asked with a raised eyebrow.

Spike shrugged indifferently and turned around to walk away.

“Hey!” Buffy cried indignantly as she caught up to him. “I think I did a damn good job! That was probably a new record for vampire slayage,” she said, watching him while they walked.

“If you believe that, then that’s all that matters,” Spike replied, biting his tongue to keep from laughing at the expression of disbelief on her face.

“Oh, why am I even looking for your approval anyway,” she muttered huffily, speeding up to walk ahead of him.

Spike chuckled as she tried to put some distance between them. Jogging to catch up with her, he caught Buffy’s arm, turning her to face him. “You did good, Slayer.”

“I know,” she answered, crossing her arms over her chest with a pout. “Wouldn’t kill you to admit it a little faster,” she muttered, causing Spike to smile again.

“I’m sorry,” he said in a playful tone, letting his bottom lip stick out in a pout that was mocking hers. Buffy swatted at his shoulder for making fun of her. “Hey!” Spike cried indignantly. “It’s not my fault you’re acting like a baby.”

Buffy glared at him for a moment before her eyes seemed to light up.

“What?” Spike asked, dreading whatever she was about to say or do.

“I seem to remember a time when you liked my lip,” she replied, looking at him with wide eyes and her lip poking out a little bit.

“Oh, bloody hell,” Spike groaned, closing his eyes as Buffy laughed.





A/N Thank you so much to: jk_mystic, kel, Rachel, Dee, bloodshedbaby, jane, Steph, Essi, gypsy_jin, BuffyandSpikeForever, Cordykitten, Peta, vampkiss, GlassGoddess, Rana, samica, songgal, & Seraiza for reviewing!