The next day…or, at least Buffy thought it was the next day, a police officer came in. But honestly? She couldn’t tell one second from the next. Because ever agonizing second that ticked by was another that she had to live without her mother and son.

So this is what life had left her with? An abusive father, two corpses, and a bullet wound?

Not much to live for at all.

Snapping out of her thoughts, she turned to the police officer. Her eyes were red and dry from crying and the fact that she hadn’t slept at all.

Seeing her baby’s body…so much blood.

Gulping, she forced the tears away. Instead, she blocked off all emotion. She’d been good at doing that ever since the first time her father had hurt her.

When she did this, she felt nothing. Nothing but a numbness that was almost as bad as the pain itself.

“Ms. Summers?” The officer asked.

“You’re a woman,” Buffy observed, causing the officer to become a little confused.

“Yes…”

“The officer here last night was a man.” She paused. “Did they send you this time to make me feel more comfortable?”

The woman didn’t say anything, just smiled softly and Buffy nodded. “Thought so.”

“Buffy, by your records, it says your only sixteen.”

“Seventeen in three weeks,” Buffy mumbled.

“Right. But our first priority is to get you a place to stay. Do you have any relatives near here that would take you in?” Buffy thought for a moment. She was currently living in a small Georgia town, though she had been born in LA, California.

She didn’t know of any relatives that lived in Georgia though. “No…the only ones that are left are my aunt and uncle in New York.”

“Okay…well, then how would you feel about going there?”

“Doesn’t matter,” Buffy said dryly.

“Buffy…”

“It’s fine. Anything else?”

“Yes…do you have any idea where your father might be?”

Buffy went stiff, her entire being tensing at the thought of him. “No,” Buffy said coldly. “But he better hope that the police get to him before I do.”

--Sunnydale, California--

“Ah, you made it!” Willow said cheerfully as a platinum blonde guy walked up to the table.

“Hey, Red,” he greeted. “Faith here yet?”

“Sorry, Spike. Haven’t seen her,” Xander replied. The three of them had been as close as could be since they met in the seventh grade. Spike had moved from England with his father, Rupert Giles.

They had left England after Jenny’s accident.

Jenny was Spike’s mother. After a car accident, she was in a coma for a year. For some reason, she gave up her fight and passed on.

The first year that Willow and Xander had known Spike, he had been distant and unemotional.

But now that they were in their junior year of high school, they’d helped him through the pain.

But two years ago, Faith came into the picture. She was beautiful, and was the girl who’d gotten Spike’s heart.

“Spike,” came a soft voice as a pair of arms wrapped around his waist from behind.

Smiling, he tilted his head to look at her. “Hey,” he greeted and added a kiss.

Grinning, Faith kissed him back with equal passion, causing the others at the table to groan.

“What, like you don’t make out in public, Red?” Spike asked with a raised eyebrow, causing Willow to blush crimson. Oz, who was sitting beside her actually chuckled a little bit.

“So what’s up?” Faith asked, moving to take a seat.

“Not too much,” Xander answered.

“Oh, hold back the enthusiasm, Harris,” Faith replied sarcastically and grinned a little.

“Let’s dance,” Spike said and tugged on her hand as he pulled her out to the floor.

--Georgia--

“Okay, so we called your Aunt and Uncle, Darla and Angel. They’re picking you up at the airport in New York at 2pm.”

“Do I have time to go home and get a few things?” Buffy asked weakly.

“Of course, sweetheart,” the officer replied with a soft smile.

---

As Buffy slowly entered the house, she was relieved to find all the blood had been cleaned up. Sighing in relief, Buffy closed her eyes to try to ease her troubled mind.

When she heard a noise from upstairs, her mind immediately went to bad thoughts. Remembering how the gun slid under the couch, she lunged over, reached under the couch and gripped the gun in her hand.

As quietly as possible, Buffy walked up the stairs and heard some rummaging sounds from her parents’ room. Gulping once more, she pushed open the door with her foot, gun held out.

What she saw made her eyes widen. Her father had been going through the drawers, gathering up all his money.

“What the hell are you doing here?” Buffy demanded, causing him to snap his head toward her. Seeing the gun facing him, he raised his hands.

“I need some money…”

“You’re running away?”

“Well…” He paused, not knowing the right answer. He’d snuck inside after waking up this morning. The guilt of what he’d done was too much, so he’d decided he needed to get out of town. “Yes,” he finally answered.

“Too much of a coward to face up to what you did?”

“Buffy, I was drunk,” he tried to reason.

Her eyes widened in anger and she took a step into the room. “You’re always drunk! This is the first time you’ve been sober in seven years, so you want sympathy!?”

She laughed bitterly and readied the gun to shoot.

“Buffy…”

“You killed my son, you bastard!”

“I know, I-”

“Shut up!” Buffy felt tears streaming down her cheeks. “I hate you! I’ve hated you since the day you decided I wasn’t good enough!”

Knowing there was nothing he could say, Hank just lowered his gaze. “Do you have any idea what you’ve done? My mother and my son are dead! The only two people I have ever loved in my life! And you took them away from me!” Sobs tore from her throat, but she kept the gun steady. “You are nothing to me! I hate you with everything I have left in me!” She regained herself suddenly, tears falling silently, but seemingly calm. “I just wanted you to know that before I killed you.”

--Sunnydale--

“Night,” Faith called as Spike backed out of her driveway and drove away. But instead of going in her house, she stayed on the front porch. Less than a minute later, a black car pulled into her driveway and she grinned. With bounce in her step, she walked down to the car and got in the passenger side.

“Hey, baby,” the driver greeted and Faith leaned over to meet his lips in a passionate kiss.

“Hey to you too,” she replied as he drove away.

She’d been cheating on Spike for three months now. Of course she felt bad about it…but she’d never really loved Spike.

But he loved her, and she knew it. Which is why she could never make herself break up with him.

The guy she was seeing behind Spike’s back was named Parker…who also happened to be one of Spike’s best friends.

“Where we going tonight?” Faith asked, putting her seatbelt on.

“My place,” he answered with a grin and sped up.

--Georgia--

Buffy’s mind was spinning as she began to pull the trigger.

“Get out,” Buffy suddenly ground out, relaxing her finger but keeping the gun up.

“What?”

“Get out of this house. Out of this town. I swear if I ever see you again, I will kill you in ways that aren’t even possible.”

Hank, still confused as to why he was being let go, wasted no time in dashing out the bedroom and then from the house.

Lowering the gun, Buffy felt fresh tears come to her eyes.

She had wanted it so bad. Had wanted to see the blood drip from his skull. She wanted to see him cry out in fear and pain.

And she wanted to see him die.

But as much as she wanted it, she knew she couldn’t. She couldn’t end a life. No one’s.

That would make her just as bad as he was.

And she would never lower herself to that.

With a shaky breath, Buffy went to her room and gathered a few things.

On her way out, she stopped in the baby’s room. Gulping, she went straight to the baby book, picked it up, and left the room.

Walking out the front door, she didn’t look back. She never would. It was a part of her life that never needed to be reopened.

With that in mind, she vowed that she really would close that portion of her life. Forever. If she wanted to keep sane, then she would have to. Because if she thought of Jaden or her mother again, she knew that every ounce of sanity she had would dissipate.

A/N: Thanks for reviews on all of my fics!!