Chapter 11


Saturday night, Buffy drove over to Spike’s apartment, filled with mixed emotions. She was excited to be able to spend the night with her daughter and the man she loved, but she was down to only two days left. As she pulled up to his building, she sighed and rested her forehead against the steering wheel of her car.

‘I don’t want to leave. Why hasn’t he asked me to stay? I’d give it all up in New York if he’d just ask.’

She pulled herself together emotionally and went inside the apartment complex, going up to his floor and knocking on the door. A perky Dawn opened it, dressed in overalls and her hair in pigtails.

‘She’s such an adorable little girl, I used to look a lot like her when I was little. And I’ve always loved the carnival…some years more than others,’ she thought to herself with a smile.

“Hi, Mommy,” Dawn said, hugging Buffy’s legs, who in turn picked her up in a hug of her own.

“Hi, sweetie,” Buffy said. “Where’s your father?” As if on cue, Spike appeared from his bedroom, looking as gorgeous as ever.

“Hey,” Buffy said with a smile.

Spike returned the smile and grabbed his keys before walking over to them.

“Hey,” he said. “You look nice.” He looked at her jeans and simple red halter-top and thought she had never looked more beautiful.

‘She looks like she did that night. Six long years since then- it doesn’t even seem that long anymore, not since she came back. To visit, that is.’

“Ready to go?” Buffy asked, interrupting his thoughts. He nodded and followed his two favorite girls outside to her rental car. He drove towards the carnival, his mind still buzzing.

‘She leaves on Monday. You can’t let her go,’ he thought sadly. ‘Why won’t she stay?’

After parking the car in a tight space in a crowded parking lot near the festival itself, Spike put Dawn on his back, giving her a piggyback ride. Buffy smiled, wishing she had a camera with her.

‘He makes such a wonderful father. I always knew he would.’

The flashing lights, smells, and shrieks and yells assaulted them as they made their way into the center of the carnival. Rides, games, and food venders littered the area, people everywhere.

‘As long as Spike is carrying Dawn, we won’t have to worry about losing her.’

“Daddy, can we play some games?” Dawn asked suddenly, looking at one that offered goldfish as the first place prize. Spike and Buffy exchanged glances before taking her to the game.

‘Let’s see how good my daughter can throw,’ Buffy thought, giggling at Spike’s worried face. ‘I hope he gains a goldfish out of this. Dawn should have a pet.’

***

Minutes later, the three walked away holding a goldfish in a clear plastic bag. Dawn looked so excited to have won, even though Buffy helped her.

‘She purposely helped so Dawn would win that fish,’ Spike thought, looking at Dawn’s wide smile. ‘And even though I hate fish, I’m happy Buffy did what she did. She’s becoming more and more like a mother every time she’s with Dawn.’ He smiled. ‘She’s changed.’

While they were walking around, buying Dawn cotton candy and playing several more games, she suddenly stopped, staring at the Ferris Wheel that loomed over the crowd. Spike stared up at it, frowning.

“Can we go on it?” Dawn asked, tugging on his hand. He looked at her sheepishly.

“How about we go on it together?” Buffy asked, crouching down to her level as she tugged on Dawn’s pigtail. “We’ll give Daddy some time to relax.” Spike looked at her graciously and watched as the two girls got in line to board it.

‘She’s saved me from the terror of riding that rusty contraption.’ He paused. ‘Wait, I don’t want my daughter on that!’ He was moving quickly through the crowd but didn’t make it in time to stop them from getting on a cart. He watched them, his heart racing and praying inwardly that it would be okay.

He noticed how happy Buffy seemed, and at one point, he even heard Dawn’s laughter, causing him to smile broadly.

‘She’s amazing with Dawn. How could she leave again? Not just me, but our daughter. Doesn’t she like it here? She seems so content in Sunnydale. I doubt that she’s as happy in New York as she is here.’

The ride ended a few minutes later, and they came over to him, his daughter giggling and Buffy beaming.

“It seems that she likes heights,” Buffy said, leaning towards his ear. “That’s definitely from me.”

“Yes, be happy that our daughter likes danger,” Spike joked, keeping his tone serious. She smiled up at him, and for a moment, they got lost in each other’s eyes.

‘Snap out of it, Buffy.’

“Hello, you three,” a chipper voice suddenly said close by. Spike and Buffy turned to see Buffy’s mother and father standing there. Dawn ran over and hugged her grandmother, who picked her up.

“Hello, darling. Ready to go have fun with me and Grandpa?” Dawn nodded. “You can pick her up any time tomorrow.” Spike and Buffy kissed Dawn’s forehead and said good-bye to her.

“Be good for them,” Spike said. “Don’t cause any trouble. Not like last year.” Buffy looked at him questioningly. “She was a little too hyper and began drawing all over her bedroom walls.” Buffy laughed and looked at her mother, who was smiling also.

“She’s very artistic,” Joyce said. “I’d say she’s a budding artist. Just like her mother.” Buffy smiled at her mother, grateful that her parents would watch Dawn for the night, giving Buffy and Spike a chance to talk alone for a while and knowing that Joyce was picking up her granddaughter early, for that very reason. “Good night, kids.”

“Good night,” Buffy and Spike replied in unison, watching the two adults walk away with their daughter. A moment of silence passed between them before Spike looked at the Ferris Wheel again.

‘I’m going to do this the right way this time.’

“Come on,” he grinned, grabbing her hand like an excited child and pulling her to the ride.

“Wait, what? You hate the Ferris Wheel,” Buffy pointed out, confused. He
smiled at her.

“That was the old me,” he said. “I’ve changed.”

'We both have.’

Buffy laughed as she tried to keep up with Spike, giggling harder when they
made their way through the line as Spike’s face slowly became more petrified
of what he was about to do.

“You don’t have to do this,” Buffy said with a smile. “You don’t have
anything to prove to me. You’ve already been on this ride once and that was
enough.”

Spike’s mind flashed to the night of their first date, leading to their
first kiss on this very ride. Smiling at the memory, his fingers interlaced
with hers. “All the more reason to try it again, luv,” he said softly.

Buffy smiled as they got situated in one of the seats, her smile only
broadening as his arm slipped around her shoulders, pulling her closer as the
ride began.

Both stayed quiet for several minutes. Buffy could feel Spike tense up as
they halted at the top. “You’re doing good,” she said softly, looking at
him with a gentle smile.

Spike looked at her, struck with the realization that she looked just like
she did six years ago when they were in this very same position. “I may
need to forget where we are,” he whispered, a smile playing on his lips as
he slowly tilted his head to the side, leaning close to her.

“Really?” Buffy asked playfully, her own head angling to his. “And how do
we make you forget?”

Spike was so close, she could feel his breath against her skin as his lips
gently touched hers in the lightest caress. “I think the way we did it last
time worked fine.”

“You’re sure about that?”

Spike smiled as his lips pressed to Buffy’s, her hands wrapping around his
neck, pulling him even closer to her as his arm wrapped around her waist.
Neither wanting any space between them as the kiss deepened. The kiss
continued until the ride started again, jolting them as they began to
descend. Slowly pulling away, Spike leaned in for one more tender kiss
before taking her hand again.

“Thanks for the help, pet.”