Spike sped to the airport, swearing at every car that was getting in his way and everyone that wasn’t going at least ten over the speed limit. Every second counted- there wasn’t a moment to spare.

‘She better not get on that bloody plane. Not after I’ve done all of this to get to her.’

When he finally got to Los Angeles, he was grateful that he wasn’t pulled over by a cop.

‘I’d make her pay the damn ticket if I had been.’

He sprinted inside the building, only to stop in front of an electronic board that listed the boarding times for outgoing flights.

‘New York…New York City…twenty minutes…you’ve got twenty minutes to track her down and make her stay.’

With that, he took a deep breath and went running towards the terminal she’d be taking off from. He got as close as the security check when he was stopped.

“I can’t let you pass, sir, without a ticket,” a burly brute of a man said, stopping Spike from going through the metal detectors.

“I’m not carrying a weapon,” Spike said. “Check me. Strip search me, for all I care. I need to stop the woman I love and the mother of my child from getting on a plane and leaving me…quite possibly forever. I’ll even pay you. Just please, let me go and stop her from making the second biggest mistake of her entire life.”

“Yeah? And what was the first biggest mistake?” the guard asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Falling in love with me,” Spike grinned. “Never have been able to let the people I love go.”

‘Well, except that once, and that was because I was incredibly naïve to think she’d be back sooner. But I never truly let go of her, and I’m sure as hell not starting now.’

“If I don’t see you back here in ten minutes, I’m coming after you myself,” the guard warned, slightly winking at Spike, who in turn breathed a sigh of relief and went through the metal detector before breaking out sprinting again, trying to locate her terminal.

‘Forty…thirty-nine…thirty-eight…and there it is.’

He slowed down and checked his watch. Only fifteen minutes left. He worked on regulating his breathing again before slowly approaching the waiting area, seeing her reading a magazine, her back to him. He slowly walked up behind her and shoved his hands in his pockets, suddenly intensely nervous.

“You didn’t think I’d let you get away this time, did you?” he suddenly asked. He saw her sit up straighter before slowly turning around, looking at him with a shocked look on her face.

“What’re you…Spike?” she asked, standing up, doing her best not to tear up.

‘He came. He came here for me. And if he doesn’t ask me to stay, I…I’ll…who am I kidding? I couldn’t hurt him again. Although, this is a pretty mean joke if he just showed up to say goodbye again.’

He walked around the line of chairs and stopped directly in front of her, their eyes locking.

“I can’t let you get on that plane,” he said quietly, wrapping his arms around her. “Stay, luv. Please don’t leave again. Dawn needs you here…and so do I. I love you, and I can’t lose you again.”

‘He’s asking me to stay. He finally is asking me to stay. He truly doesn’t want me to leave him.’

“But I’ve got my job, and my apartment,” she said, looking down. “I have to go back.” He frowned instantly, about to protest her lame argument, when she spoke again. “I’d have to return to sell my place and quit my job.” She smiled as his eyes widened and he kissed her intensely, pulling her close to his body, pleading with himself to not cry.

“You…you’ll stay? I mean, you’ll go back to New York, but you’ll come back? You’ll…be with me?” he asked hesitantly, now fearing the idea that she would only stay to be a mother to Dawn.

“No, I think I’m going to hook-up with the other British hottie I know,” she joked, giggling as she heard him growl. “Yes, I’ll be with you again. If you’ll have me, that is.”

“Of course, I’ll have you,” he smiled, running his hand over her hair. “I’ve never loved anyone like I love you, Buffy Anne Summers.” She kissed him softly, and the intercom went off, announcing that her flight was boarding. “What? We still have ten minutes.”

“Apparently, the earlier people get on the plane, the easier it is,” she shrugged, picking up her carry-on bag and sighing. “I’ll be back soon, Spike. I promise. It should be a week, tops. I swear.”

“If you’re not here in eight days, I’m hunting you down myself,” he said, managing a smile.

“I’ll be here,” she said, looking up at him. “Take care of yourself and her in the meantime.”

“The same goes for you, pet,” he said. “I want our daughter to finally have her mother here permanently.”

“She will,” Buffy smiled, wrapping her arms around Spike’s neck and kissing him as passionately as she could without crying.

‘He wants me here. I’m coming back to live here. I’m going to be with him and my daughter.’

“I love you,” Spike said, looking into Buffy’s eyes, resting his forehead against hers.

“I love you, too,” she said. “I have to board now.” He nodded sadly and saw his friend the security guard heading towards him, looking stern.

“And I have to run,” Spike smirked. “One week, luv. I’ll see you in a week.”

“A week it is,” she said, kissing him one last time before going to the terminal. She turned back and waved at him before going forward to the plane. The guard reached Spike and looked at him.

“You didn’t succeed?” he asked sadly. Spike looked at him and beamed.

“She’s coming back in a week,” he answered. “To be with me.” The guard simply smiled back and patted Spike’s shoulder before escorting him away from the terminals.

‘Now I just have to make sure she’s here forever.'