Author's Chapter Notes:
Author’s note: So sorry for the lack of updates. My birthday’s on Thursday the 17th, and reviews are good presents.
Chapter 5: The King of the Golden Hall
Disclaimer: I don’t own LOTR or BTVS.

***Fangorn Forest***
Dawn woke up from a sound sleep, and took in the beautiful sight of the morning sun lighting the forest. She turned and saw Andre sitting next to a little waterfall, drinking from a bowl and with a stone bucket next to him. She stood up and walked around the little clearing. “Hello? Oz? Hey, Andrew, you see where Oz went?”

“Did you hear that?” Dawn asked, hearing a low groaning from somewhere in the woods. “There it is again. Something weird is going on.”

“Oh come on, Dawn.” Andrew said. “Nothing is…” he was cut of as a deep groan like the ones Dawn had just heard erupted from his mouth.

“Andrew!” Dawn said, pointing at him. “You just said something in…Treeish!”

“I did not! I was just stretching!” But the same sound came from him again. But then Dawn noticed another change in him. She looked closely at him, checked up and down and came to a strange conclusion.

“You're taller!” Dawn said incredulously.

“What?” Andrew looked at her like she was nuts.

“You’re taller than me!” Dawn squealed, and raised her hand to show the difference.

“I've always been taller than you.” Andrew said, filling the bucket up with water.

“Andrew, everyone knows I'm the tall one and you're the short one.” Dawn said, putting her hands on her hips.

“Please, Dawn. You're what, three-foot-six, at the most? Whereas me, I'm pushing 3'7".” Andrew suddenly made another treeish sound and seemed to grow. “Make that 3'8"!!!”

“Three-foot-eight?!” Dawn asked, stunned. “You did something!”

Andrew smiled and shrugged. He turned and set the bowl on the rock near the water. Then Dawn realized what happened, the water made him grow! Dawn grabbed the bucket and started gulping down the water. “Dawn don't! Don't drink it! No, Oz said that you shouldn’t have any!”

“I want some!” Dawn said and started running. Andrew chased her around trying to get the water back. They climbed over some big roots trying to get away, but suddenly they heard more treeish sounds and something was grabbing them. They looked around and saw that the tree was wrapping its roots around them.

“What's happening?” Andrew asked, trying to escape.

“AAARRGGHH! It's got my leg!” Dawn yelled, trying to pry the root off of her.

“DAWN!” Andrew screamed as his arms became stuck in the tree. Dead leaves began to envelop them, and the roots kept pulling them down into the ground. The two Hobbits tried to get loose but are disappeared into the tree.

“HELP!” The Hobbits screamed until Oz came back.

“Hey! Let ‘em go!” Oz ordered the tree. The tree released the Hobbits, who shook the leaves off themselves and bolted from the tree. “Come on, the trees are waking up.” Oz said, picking Dawn and Andrew up and setting them on his shoulders. “It’s not safe. They’re getting wild and dangerous. Angry, hostile, hateful. They’ll hurt you if they get the chance. They need more after school activities. There aren’t enough of us left to manage them.”

“Why are there so few of you when you have lived so long? Are there Ent-children?” Andrew asked.

“Nope.” Oz said, sadly. “There haven’t been any Ent kids around since we lost the Entwives.”

“Oh, I'm sorry. How did they die?” Dawn asked.

“Die? Oh no, they didn’t die. We lost them, as in we literally lost them and can’t find them.” Oz said, Dawn and Andrew were stunned to think anyone could lose something as big as an Ent. “You haven’t seen any Entwives in the Shire, have you?”

“Can't say t hat I have. How about you, Dawn?” Andrew asked.

“Well, what do they look like?” Dawn asked.

Oz brow furrowed, he thought for a minute then shrugged. “Uh…I don't remember.”



***Edoras***

Giles, Angel, Willow and Xander rode through the plains of Rohan until they finally reached Edoras, the capital of Rohan. A small city built on a hill, with the palace known as the Golden Hall at the top.

“Edoras and the Golden Hall.” Giles assessed. “Holtz, the King of Rohan, lives here. We must be on guard; Ethan’s hold on Holtz’s mind is very strong, we won’t be welcomed here.”

“I’m not worried, since we started this thing we haven’t got one welcome.” Angel said, looking at the Golden Hall. They rode through the gates and up the hill, taking in the air of despondency and depression of the citizens.

“Jeez, who died?” Xander asked. “These people are broodier than King Forehead here.”

Meanwhile inside the Golden Hall, the King’s niece Fred went to the throne room to deliver some tragic news. Holtz still just sat on the throne, staring blankly into space, unmoving.

“My lord, your son is dead.” Fred said, tears falling for her cousin. “Uncle, aren’t you going to go see him? Are you just gonna sit there?” The king just sat like a statue, his niece crying next to him. She went back to Stephen’s room, and sat by him crying. She kissed his forehead and silently wished Gunn was still there.

“Oh man that sucks.” Came a voice from behind, Fred didn’t have to turn to know it was that rat Warren. “I mean, first his nephew turns renegade and now he loses his son? And I can only imagine how hard this is for you Fred.”

“Leave me alone, you bastard!” Fred said, jumping up to put some distance between herself and Warren.

“But you already are alone. Who else is there for you? I’m all you’ve got left, bitch!” Warren said, a sick grin on his face. “I didn’t mean it like that, babe. You know, you’re a beautiful woman; and I’m a handsome, intelligent, powerful man. Do you see where I’m going with this? We should be together, cause the fact is you need me.”

“I need you…” Fred began, slapping the taste out of Warren’s mouth. “…To shut the hell up!” She stormed out, leaving the loathsome little man rubbing his face. Fred wanted to cry; she knew that Warren was right about her being alone, but she had to be strong for the good of Rohan. She walked outside and looked out over the city of Edoras, her thoughts drifting to her cousin Gunn and her uncle the king. What would happen to them if things remained unchanged? A strong wind blew in and a flag was ripped from the pole and was carried away. It was almost like an omen to Fred’s mind. She suddenly noticed the newcomers riding up to the hall, wondering what they were doing there. She sighed. ‘Probably more of Warren’s guys.’ She went back inside without another thought.

Giles, Willow, Xander and Angel walked up the steps to the Golden Hal, but were stopped by the guards.

“I’m sorry, but I can’t let you inside if you’re armed. Under orders of Warren Wormtongue.” Giles nodded to the others and they surrendered their weapons. But they were stopped again. “I’m sorry, but we’ll need your staff too.

“Oh come on, you wouldn’t take a walking stick from an old man would you?” Xander asked incredulously. The guard seemed satisfied and let them pass, as Giles glared at Xander for that “old man” crack. They entered the main hall and heard the large doors slam behind them. The once strong, bright, and warm Golden Hall of Rohan was now decaying, dark, and cold as Ethan’s grasp on it, the king and the country grew.

“Hail Holtz, King of Rohan.” Giles said as the king came into view. The aged king sat still on this throne, as Warren Wormtongue whispered his “advise”.

“My lord, Giles the Grey is here.” Warren whispered to the mindless ruler.

“I see that courtesy of your home isn’t what it used to be, Your Highness.” Giles said as they continued through the darkened hall. Angel glanced around and saw several thugs were following them.

“He’s trouble, tell him to leave.” Warren whispered to the decrepit king.

“Why… should… I…welcome… you…Giles? Where…you…go…trouble…follows.” Holtz said, looking like he was fighting to stay conscious.

“An excellent point, sire.” Warren said standing up. “Strange how you only show up with bad news. If your just here to stir up trouble, you aren’t welcome.”

“Quiet!” Giles said, raising his staff for all to see. “I haven’t gone through battle, fire and death just to chat with a sad little boy like you.”

“His staff! He has his staff! Why does he have his staff?! I told you to take the wizard’s staff!” Warren yelped. The thugs that had been following the group attacked. Angel, Willow and Xander began fending off Warren’s men, as Giles continued towards Holtz.

“You move,” Xander said, holding his axe inches above Warren’s crotch. “You’ll have even more trouble getting’ a girl.”

“Holtz! Lord of Rohan!” Giles called to the king, bringing a flash of life to the indifferent monarch’s face. “For too long you have sat in the shadows. I release you from this spell.”

“Is that so, Ripper?” Giles looked at Holtz in alarm, as Ethan’s voice came from the king’s mouth. “You don’t have the power to break my spells. You’re nothing compared to the might of Ethan the White!”

“SILENCE!” Giles shouted; his gray cloak fell away and revealed is new white robes. “I am no longer Giles the Grey. I am Giles the White and I will expel you, Ethan, as poison is drawn from a wound.” Giles pointed his staff at the possessed ruler, his magic ripping through Holtz’s body trying to subdue Ethan’s enchantment. Fred came into the main hall that moment and saw this stranger apparently hurting her uncle; she darted forward but was caught by Angel.

“Don’t worry, Giles knows what he’s doing.” Angel whispered to the distressed princess.

“If I go, Holtz dies!” Ethan snarled through Holtz’s body.

“You will not kill him, Ethan.” Giles said, intensifying the mystical onslaught on his former comrade’s enchantments. “You’re power here is ended.”

“No!” Ethan’s voice snarled back. “Rohan is MINE! Nothing can stop the alliance of Isengard and Mordor, and when the time comes, Ripper, you’re going to wish you took me up on my offer!” The king’s body leapt at Giles, but was met with a hard blow from Giles’ staff. Holtz was knocked back into his throne, and over in Isengard, Ethan Rayne was thrown across the room by the force of Giles’ new power. “Bugger, that hurt!”

Holtz moaned and slumped forward in the throne. Fred ran to her uncle’s side as he fell, catching him before he hit the floor. Holtz raised his head again and his face began to change into his normal face. He was free of Ethan’s power, Holtz was himself again.

“Fred, what happened?” Holtz said as his eyes focused. Fred just let out a small sob and threw her arms around her uncle. Holtz let go after a moment and saw Giles.

“Welcome back, my friend.” Giles said, smiling. The hall to began to fill with light again, the rejuvenated king stood up and looked around. The king stretched himself out, flexing his hands. “Your fingers would remember their old strength better... if they grasped your sword.”

A guard ran up with Holtz’s sword, and the king reached for it with trembling hands. He wrapped his fingers around it slowly and drew it, gazing upon the shiny steel, feeling his old strength return. Holtz’s gaze turned to a corner where Xander held a cowering Warren. “Throw that worm out of this hall!”

Several soldiers grabbed Warren from Xander’s clutches, dragged him through the doors, and threw him down the steps of the palace.

“Your Highness, please!” Warren pleaded as Holtz walked down the steps towards him, holding his sword. “All I've ever done is serve you! I’m your friend!”
“You’re no friend of mine! “Holtz said, stalking towards Warren as he tried to crawl away. “You’re a traitor to your king, country, and people! Your manipulation would have had me crawling on all fours like a dog!"

“Please, Sire!” Warren said as he scrambled away. “Don’t make me leave your side!”

“I won’t send you from my side.” Holtz said, raising his sword. “I’m going to cut you to ribbons!”

“No, my lord! No, my lord.” Angel said, holding Holtz back. “Let him go. There’s been enough violence because of him.”

Angel offered Warren a hand, but the little rat just spat at him and ran away.

“Hail, King Holtz!” the people cheered and bowed to their king. Warren rode out of Edoras, knowing Ethan was going to tear him a new one.

“Where is Steven? Where is my son?” Holtz asked, but he was met with a terrible silence.

Later that day, Steven’s body is brought outside Edoras, carried by 6 men of the Rohan Royal Guard. The people of Edoras, the King, Giles and Angel followed them in the funeral procession. Fred, Willow and other women were waiting at the burial site, crying as they brought him into the tomb. Fred sang an old hymn, as they laid him to rest.

As the rest of the mourners left, Holtz still stood by his son’s tomb. He inspected a white flower that grew on the graves. “Simbelmyne. It’s always grown on the tombs of my family.” Holtz said, trying to keep his composure. “Now it shall cover the grave of my son. I wish I did not see these dark days. The young perish, the old linger and the Dark Lord has returned. I’ll live to see the end of all we hold dear.”

“Steven’s death was not your fault.” Giles said, putting a hand on his shoulder.

“No parent should have to bury their child.” Holtz said, as be broke down and wept.

“He was strong in life. His spirit will find its way to the halls of your fathers. "Be-thou well. Go-thou, Steven, go-thou.”

Giles turned to go back to the city and let Holtz to grieve in private. But suddenly a horse appeared on the hill ridden by two children, a boy and girl. Giles walked over to the kids, but as he drew near, the boy suddenly keeled over and fell off the horse. Holtz saw it too, and he and Giles ran to assist the children. Giles gave the boy some water to revive him and Holtz tried to soothe the frightened girl. “We’ll get you back to the city!”