With This Ring - by Lilachigh


Chapter 2 Enough Time?


Veering away from end of Something Blue, Willow has reversed all the spells except one. Spike and Buffy are getting married - and who can stop them? The problem is, where magic is concerned, as Spike knows, there are always consequences.....


Disclaimer: Just playing, Joss. All yours really.
Distribution: Take if you want, but please let me know where .



The Scoobies were gathered together in Giles’s house for a council of war. The Englishman looked anxiously at Willow. ‘So you reckon you’ve found the right spell to reverse Buffy and Spike’s strange, unnatural attraction to each other?’

Willow nodded enthusiastically. ‘Yes, it was in one of your very oldest books. It isn’t actually very difficult, but it needs a load of different ingredients. I’ll need a bit of time to get them altogether. Penguin eggs aren’t that plentiful in Sunnydale.’

‘Well, we‘ve got until nine tomorrow evening,’ Xander said grimly. ‘Is that enough time?’

‘I...I’m not sure,’ Willow stuttered, hating to be the one everyone was relying on. Since Oz had left, she’d reverted to a very unsure Willow.

‘It’s got to be!’ Xander replied, banging his hand on the table and making everybody jump.

Anya glared at him. Honestly, she thought, you’d have thought Xander imagined he should marry Buffy instead of Spike, the way he was carrying on,

How many men did Buffy need falling at her feet? She had that nice Riley boy, already, why couldn’t she leave Xander alone?

‘So, what we need to do is split them up and keep them apart,’ said Giles. ‘As long as they’re not together, they can’t get married, can they?

‘Right, Anya, you’re supposed to be going with Buffy to collect her dress tomorrow, aren’t you? Right, keep her there as long as possible and Xander and I will find a way to get Spike away from Sunnydale.’

‘Why not just get rid of him altogether,’ Xander said in disgust. ‘He’s nothing but a problem the whole time.’

‘Xander, he’s got that chip in his brain,’ Willow said. ‘It would be like putting down a dog who used to bite and now has had all his teeth extracted, if you ever do extract a dog’s teeth, because, hey, not sure about dogs’ dentistry and...’

‘Yes, yes, Willow. We get your point,’ said Giles. ‘So we won’t kill Spike - we’ll just remove him until you do the right spell. All agreed? Fine. Then that’s the plan. We’ll stop this wedding. Buffy will thank us one day.’

‘Right.’ Xander sounded happier. ‘You start working on the spell, Will, and I’ll go and keep an eye on the happy couple. If I’m there, then they can’t...won’t....well, I’ll just go and keep watch.’

Buffy, at that moment, was wandering hand in hand with her fiancé through the local graveyard. ‘One thing we haven’t sorted out,’ she murmured, gazing at him with love.

‘What’s that, pet? I thought everything was under control.’

‘The wedding, yes, and you’ve said the honeymoon will be - ’

Spike pulled her close and kissed her long and hard. ‘Exciting, sweetheart,’ he muttered, running his hands up under her sweater to cup her breasts.

Buffy gave a little moan and wriggled closer. ‘Promise?’

‘Oh yes. Have you ever....’

He bent to whisper in her ear what he was going to do to her and was delighted to see the hot colour flood up into her cheeks.

‘Spike!’ she squealed. ‘That’s...that’s rude! And impossible?’

He gave that lazy grin she loved so much. ‘I’ll teach you, pet. You’ll love it.’ He couldn’t quite believe that this gorgeous girl was going to be his alone, but he knew from the past few days that she was almost untouched sexually.

Whatever she and Angel had done, or the other couple of idiots who’d managed to get into her bed, it had hardly touched the deep well of passion he sensed bubbled just under the surface.

‘So what else needs to be done,’ he went on.

‘Where are we going to live? Your crypt is OK, and I could really do a lot with the downstairs part - paint it all off white, maybe, with pale primrose drapes and...’

‘Joyce said we could stay with her,’ Spike said hastily, swinging her round to sit on top of a tombstone as visions of his gothic hidey-hole being girlyfied swam before his eyes.

Buffy stared at him in astonishment. ‘Do you really want to live with your mother-in-law? I mean, what about, well... privacy... and things?’

Spike grinned and nuzzled his mouth against her neck. He hated the scar that marred it and wished he could dig his own teeth into the tender skin and put his own mark on her.

‘Well, sweetheart, unless you want to run naked through the house at odd hours, screaming, ‘take me, Spike, take me now!’ I reckon we’ll be OK.’

Buffy punched him in the ribs and felt a sweet satisfaction as she heard the air that he didn’t need, escape from his lungs in a grunt. ‘I suppose it will be more convenient and we can make my room really cosy for you during the day.’

‘I’ll get a TV just for us,’ Spike agreed and they cuddled together in companionable silence, both savouring the vision of a future together.

‘Buffy,’ Spike murmured a few minutes later.

‘Ummmm.’ She was twirling one of his blond curls round and round her finger, loving the feel of it on her skin. He must have curls everywhere, she thought, suddenly and buried her face harder against his shoulder to hide the flood of red that rushed through her.

How on earth had she become so besotted with this man so quickly, she wondered. She vaguely remembered a time, oh, days ago, now, when she violently hated him.

Maybe I was under a spell, she thought dreamily. Yes, that was what it was, a spell to make me hate my lover. I wonder who cast it? Thank goodness it’s been broken. I could never, ever live without Spike.

‘Buffy...’ Spike repeated. ‘Why is the boy lurking behind that tree, pretending he can’t be seen? Is it some sort of game?’

She raised her head and looked across at where Xander’s shoulder and arm were in plain view. ‘I’ve no idea. Oh yes!’ she said with a giggle. ‘I know. He’s come to collect you for your stag night!’

‘What?’

‘You know, where all you men go out and get very drunk and there are strippers and....Spike, don’t go with him!’

He tightened his arm around her waist and grinned. ‘Sounds fun, but with Xander and Giles? Bloody hell, I’d end up carrying them home and having to fight off every demon in Sunnydale who wanted to take a bite out of their dainty arses.’

‘Xander!’ Buffy yelled. ‘We can see you. Come out of there. What’s going on?’

‘Ah...hey, Buffy, Spike...just passing by and....Giles said.....’

Embarrassed, he shuffled towards them, gazing at the ‘get a roominess’ of their body language, angry, jealous, bewildered by what was happening.

Then there was a long sizzling sound..... Phuttzzz!!!....and a flash of orange and purple almost blinded him.

Blinking, he rubbed his eyes and stared. ‘What the heck!’ He was gazing at an empty tombstone. Buffy and Spike had disappeared.

to be continued