MAKE HER OWN WAY


Chapter 22: ‘This Is Getting Ridiculous!’


A/N: I hope you all read this, only a while more to go, promise! Thanks, and please review, Luv, Spuf

Buffy sat alone in her office, eating her lunch; a sandwich and an apple, trying to work up some enthusiasm for even the rest of the day at work. She was getting so darn big from the babies that she looked like a barn, at least she thought so. While she munched down her apple, Buffy thought about Will and just what he would ever do ‘if’ he ever found her and whoa, if he found out she was pregnant.

‘Let’s see,’ she began, listing the various ways her William would go off the deep end; in her own head that is: 1) William would go completely bonkers, that’s a given. 2) He’d probably tear apart our apartment, then ‘he would’ put an APB out on me for kidnapping. 3) He would come storming up here to ‘invade’ Canada, bringing the idiotic Sunnydale Police Swat Team with him. 4) He might possibly have changed enough to actually talk me into coming home (yeah right!) or 5) More then likely he’ll call Daddy dearest and they’ll plot some covert operation to steal us away and back over the border.’

“Okay, Summers,” she chuckled out loud, “that’s enough, this is getting ridiculous.”

A part of Buffy really resented William, oh yeah, quite a part of her. He should be here for her, she was just selfish enough to overlook the fact that it was she that ran and hid from him.

“He forced me into it,” she placated herself time and again, “I love him, he says he loves me, and I know he does. I know it, but he needs to break free of this Gile’s tyranny he’s been saddled with for thirty years. I am not Jenny Giles, I couldn’t live with a man who did what Rupert’s done for so long, no matter how much I love Will, and I do. More then ever, but I’m not going to raise my children that way, not with a tyrant for a father. It’s not fair to them, to me or to Will either, I just know he’s different then that. Spike’s the tyrant and my Will is not Spike, not really, placebo plot and all.”

Buffy thought back to when Jennifer, Will’s Mother, had confessed to her that she knew Rupert Giles had purposely gotten her pregnant with Drusilla to force a marriage.

“I finally figured it out, Buffy, long after William was born, it struck me like a ton of bricks. But, I was so caught up in Rupert, our life together and our children, couldn’t bring myself to leave him. So, I forgave him, but I never forgot it either.”

Spike didn’t even bother showing up to his office for the next twenty-four hours after he had found out about Buffy and his child. He stayed home, actually cooked something decent for himself to eat and drank until he passed out on the couch in their living room.

During the entire past twenty-four hours, Spike’s emotions roller coasted from one extreme to another; he was relieved, of course, to have found his Buffy and ‘know’ she was okay, he loved her so much. Then he’d get really pissed off at her, remembering how she had run off from him, knowing she was pregnant with their child, “who the fuck does she think she is!” he had bellowed, quite loudly, more then once as he smoked and drank whiskey all night.

“That baby is mine and so is Buffy,” he mumbled as he drank and smoked incessantly.


Finally, well close to midnight that night, Spike drank so much whiskey that he passed out on the couch, his mind quiet to his raging emotions.

When Spike woke up the next morning, he was hungover, exhausted and still torn between the desire to rush up to Canada and beg Buffy to come home. The other part of him needed to storm up to said Country and drag his woman and child home to Sunnydale, or better yet as his Dad had suggested, England.

“I’ll get you back, Princess,” Spike grimaced, his head pounding from a horrible hangover headache, “I’ll get you back even if I have to…..” but he just couldn’t finish the sentiment, it hurt too much. Not the headache, no, not even his pride hurt this much; what hurt him the most was his heart and mind, actually his conscious. Because as painful as losing his ‘wife’ and child was, William hurt even more over the fact that he knew in his heart and mind that it was his own fault that they were gone from him.

“What can I do?” he asked his reflection in the full length mirror of his and Buffy’s bedroom, “how do I get her back now?”

Truthfully, William wasn’t quite that ignorant or sublime, he pretty much knew what he had to do to get Buffy back and it had nothing to do with storming up to Canada with his Dad and their entourage. The funny thing was, William wasn’t that adverse to a change in himself or his business dealings. A long time ago, soon after he had met Buffy, William had decided that maybe inheriting the Gile’s dynasty was not the destiny that he really wanted. It’s just that it was so bloody hard for William, or make that Spike, to buck his own Father, to lead the life he really wanted for himself, the one that would make both Buffy and him proud and happy.

“Christ,” he hissed as he stumbled into the kitchen and started the coffee maker up, “I’m a bloody mess, just like my Mum and Drusilla told me.”

His sister had been at his parents’ house when William had called to talk to his Dad yesterday, she wasted no time in grabbing the phone from their Father.

“William, my poor baby brother, what have you done?” she asked with a mournful voice, “you’ve frightened your golden Princess away from you. She’s all alone in a foreign land and she and your child cry out for you.”

Spike couldn’t get his sister’s sorrowful words out of his mind, ‘you chased her off, Brother,’ Dru had accused him. The sad truth was, Drusilla, Xander and Cordelia, even Willow and Tara who had helped his Buffy, they were right; it was William/Spike’s fault that his lover had run off to Canada.


“Come home, Buffy,” he whispered sadly, “come home and I swear to God I’ll make it up to you.”

Buffy sat at her computer in her office, trying to concentrate on the inventory that scrolled across the moniter in front of her.

“Oh, look,” she mumbled sarcastically, “another Native North American art artifact! How astounding!” As soon as she had the snarky thought, Buffy felt remorse, “it is beautiful and I do appreciate this, it’s just…”

It was just that as much as Buffy felt justified or strong or really independent from the Gile’s family, she missed Will. She missed his strength; she missed his strong arms, intelligent conversations, adoring glances and most of all, his love for her.

‘He does love me,’ she sighed, familiar tiny tears forming in her green eyes and sliding down her cheeks, her pregnancy hormones kicking in full force. “Is it so wrong for me to recognize that my Will loves me? Why is he so damn stubborn? Can’t he change for me and these babies? Oh, wait a minute,” Buffy paused, remembering, “he doesn’t know about the babies, does he? Okay, so can’t he change for me? For himself?”

Spike got the call from his Father about 11:30 AM that morning, “we are at the Sunnydale Airport son,” came Rupert’s commanding voice. “Don’t bother to drive out for us, I’ve ordered a limo to bring us to you.”

As much as Spike wanted, no, he needed his Father and Mother with him right now, even if it was just to convince his love, Buffy to come home, he still felt uneasy about them being in Sunnydale.

“I need to talk to my Mum, alone,” he thought to himself, picking up around the apartment quickly. “She’ll know what to say to me, what advice to give me. Dad’s great, I know that, but he’s who he is, he’ll never change, but Mum, she’ll tell it to me straight.”

By the time noon came and went, Spike had showered, picked up the apartment and was waiting nervously for his parents to get there. He didn’t have to wait long as a knock on the front door signaled the arrival of Rupert and Jennifer Giles to his home, “fuck!” he mumbled taking a deep breath and walking slowly to the door, “when will I grow up?”

He answered the door to his parents, hugging his Mother warmly and nodding at his Father in greeting. The first thing Rupert Giles asked was ‘have you had someone keeping an eye on Buffy since you found her?’

Spike nodded his answer, watching his Mother’s reaction, “yeah, Dad. The guy that found Buffy in Victoria, he’s been watching her since he confirmed it was her.”

Rupert nodded in satisfaction, “good,” he patted his son on his back, “as long as this fellow doesn’t get too close to Buffy, alert her to us. We’ll fly up there tonight, I think it’s best to get there and start the necessary actions to get her home with your child, William. If we have to, we’ll pull out all of the stops and spirit them off to England, I’ve got enough contacts in Canada to….”

Jennifer Giles stood up from her place on the couch and cleared her throat, “you’ll what?” she demanded harshly. Both Giles men looked at Jenny, stunned by her sudden bravado. “You’ll what, Rupert?” Jenny asked again calmly, “you’ll kidnap poor Buffy, our Grandchild? Drag her back to Sunnydale, or even better, to England?”

Rupert Giles walked over to his wife and said gently, “Jennifer, I hardly think that….” Jenny appeared to try and not laugh out loud, “that’s just it, Rupert, darling,” she shook her head sadly, “you don’t seem to think at all sometimes.”

Turning to look at her son, William, Jenny seemed to dismiss her husband, as if he wasn’t even there, “I need to talk to you William,” she announced firmly, “privately.”


A/N: I so wanted to make this a really long chapter and put all the things I felt I needed to write into it, but, life has a way of coming up and kicking you in the arse! Anyway, I promise, this story will be complete in the next two chapters or so, promise, yeah, that’s it, I promise! Please read and review, although this is just kind of a connector chappie! Thanks, Luv Spuf