Chapter 51


Ring! Ring!

“I’ve got it.” Buffy called out to her mother downstairs as she threw herself on the mattress and reached for the phone. “Hello? Hey, Spike.” She greeted enthusiastically, a large grin over her lips. “No, you can’t come over earlier. I’m not going to be ready yet.” She paused letting out a long sigh. “I do not take forever to get dressed.” She glanced at her nails as she heard the reply from the other side of the line. “Well, it’s my senior prom. I’m allowed to take my time.” She mumbled. “Ok, see you at six. Bye.” She grinned as she hung up and jumped off the bed.

She walked over to her wardrobe and took out her dress, splaying it over the mattress.

She had been daring this time and had gone for a flaming red number. Her mother hadn’t been too happy about it but she didn’t care. It was her prom; she was entitled to be a little bolder. Her trembling fingers traced soft fabric as her mind wandered for a few moments.

She was snapped out of her thoughts by a knock on the door.

“Yeah?”

The door opened to reveal her mother standing in the hall.

“Hey, mom.”

“So, are you ready to get dressed?” Joyce asked with a weak voice.

“Mom, you’re not going to start crying again, are you?” Buffy asked a bit concerned.

“No, no.” Mrs. Summers quickly assured her, wiping her eyes as she inhaled sharply.

“It’s just the prom.”

“I know, it’s just… My little girl is all grown up now.” Joyce choked a bit as her daughter came to embrace her. When they parted, the older woman traced the edges of Buffy’s jaw. “You’ve grown into a beautiful, intelligent and amazing young woman. And I couldn’t be more proud of you.” At that point it was impossible to hold back any longer and the tears started rolling down Joyce’s cheeks.

“Mom…” Buffy pouted, bringing her in for another tight hug, as she realised that pretty soon she would be crying too.

“I-I want you to…” Joyce pulled back, to look her daughter in the eye as she spoke, occasionally sniffling and hiccupping: “…to know t-that I love you very much.”

“I know, mom. I love you too.” Buffy nodded as her eyes began to water.

The two women looked at each other for a few seconds; a soft smile on both their faces. Suddenly, Mrs. Summers pulled away and straightened her clothes with one hand whilst wiping away the tears with the other.

“Well, I better let you get ready.” Her smile grew. “If you need anything let me know, ok? I’ll be downstairs.”

“Ok.”

As she watched her mother walk away and closed the door Buffy felt a strange feeling of achievement, of complete fulfilment. She was getting ready for her prom, she had a wonderful mother who loved her, great friends and…

Ring! Ring!

… a very sweet and nervous boyfriend that kept calling to check on her.

“Hello? Spike… No, I told you. You can’t come sooner. I miss you too.” Sigh. “I know. I can’t wait to see you too. You look very yummy in a tuxedo.” She smiled as she heard him whisper sweet nothings in her hear. “Spike… I gotta go. I’ll be late. Ok. I’ll see you later. It’s at seven, not at six.” She insisted. “Ok, bye.”

She hung up and once more turned her attentions to the gown laid out on the bed.

“Time to get sexy.” She said out loud as she reached for the dress.

~+~

“Mom?” She called out as she came down the stairs and into the kitchen.

Mrs. Summers turned around to find her daughter standing at the door. She looked astounding. Her long blonde locks cascaded freely over her bare shoulders, her face fresh and alive as a smile danced over her lips. She twirled around once and the long dress flowed freely around her, the ghostly fabric brushing softly against her legs as she moved. It was a simple gown, which fitted her chest tightly before spreading out just below her breasts. Below, it floated down to form an uneven hem that hung longer on the right side and above, it travelled over her left collarbone leaving her right one exposed.

“Honey… You look…” Joyce was speechless, her trembling hand coming to cover her open mouth. “… Amazing.” She was finally able to finish her sentence after a few seconds of staring.

“You don’t think it’s too much?”

“No, no. You’re beautiful, honey.” She quickly assured her, coming to stand next to her.

With a glassy stare she looked down at her daughter. She was truly breathtaking. Suddenly, Mrs. Summers was snapped out of her thoughts, shaking her head and brushing away the tears that had again started to thread down her cheeks as she rushed into the living room.

“Oh, I better get some pictures of you.”

She searched the room and sighed in relief when she found the camera. Without warning, she started taking snapshots; the intense flash temporarily blinding Buffy. Just then, the doorbell rang.

“Oh, that must be Spike.” Buffy said, suddenly a bit nervous.

“I’ll get it.” Mrs. Summers replied as she reached for the doorknob.

“No, wait. I need my entrance.” The blonde cried out, stumbling her way up the stairs, her eyes still partially blinded by the flash.

Mrs. Summers smiled as she watched her daughter stagger up the stairs in a rush.

“Ok, you can open the door now.” Buffy shouted from the top floor.

“Hey, Joyce.” A tuxedo-clad Spike greeted when the door was opened.

“Hello, Spike. Please come in. Buffy’s upstairs, she’ll be down in a minute.” Joyce explained, trying to hide her smile as she let the young man in.

“Thanks, I’ll just-“ He was cut off by the vision of Buffy slowly appearing at the top of the stairs. “-wait.” He gasped the rest of the phrase as he gawked wide-eyed at the girl that was now coming towards him.

Joyce smiled inwardly as she watched the couple come together. They were engulfed in complete silence until she reached the bottom of the stairs.

“Hey.” She said in a weak voice.

Her heart was racing wildly in her chest. God, the way he looked at her; like she was the only thing in the world that mattered.

“H-“ He tried to speak but the word got stuck in the lump that had formed at the base of his throat. He coughed a bit and tried once again. “Hey.” It came out raspy and low. “You look… God, Buffy!” He finally gasped.

She couldn’t help but smile. She felt so beautiful under his intense stare.

“Well, you guys better get going. Or you’ll be late.” Mrs. Summers was forced to cut in when the two teenagers simply remained frozen, gazing at each other.

“Oh, right.” Spike shook his head, but his eyes quickly returned to the girl standing in front of him. “I brought you this.” He said a bit shy as he handed her the corsage he had been holding.

“It’s beautiful.” Buffy smiled taking it out of the box and giving it back to him so he could pin it on her.

With trembling hands he was able to do it after a few desperate minutes.

“Let’s just get a few pictures before you two leave.” Mrs. Summers proposed giddily.

After a series of snapshots the two teenagers were finally released and allowed to leave for the prom.

“Have fun.” Joyce shouted from the doorstep as she watched the two walk into the car.

Spike blinked a couple times more as he entered the vehicle.

“I think you’re mom has blinded me, luv.” He mumbled pressing the heels of his hands against his eyelids.

He held his breath when he turned to look at the girl sitting on the passenger seat, the smirk on his lips disappearing.

“You look amazing, luv.” He breathed; that glassy stare back in his eyes.

“Thank you.” She smiled as he leaned in and kissed her.

His lips lingered over hers for a few seconds, before he pulled away. He let out the breath he had been holding and opened his eyes to look at her one more time before turning the key in the ignition.

~+~

too alarming now to talk about
take your pictures down
and shake it out
truth or consequence, say it aloud
use that evidence race it around

The lyrics soared to fill the teen-packed gymnasium. Buffy felt butterflies fluttering in her stomach as she stepped on the linoleum floor, her arm tightly locked around Spike’s.

“Nervous, pet?” he asked, when he felt her grip grow tighter.

“A bit.” She answered smiling as she scanned the room before entering.

there goes my hero
watch him as he goes
there goes my hero
he's ordinary

“Oh, there’s Willow and Oz.” She said, pointing at the couple and the two blondes crossed the floor to meet them.

“Hey.” Willow greeted excitedly. “Wow, Buffy, you look great.” She exclaimed when she took in the dress her best friend was wearing.

“Thanks. You look great too.”

“I told you the red one would look better. Remember, you only get to go to your senior prom once. Time to be bold.” Willow explained as she twisted her hands together.

“Hey, Oz.”

“Spike.”

The two males greeted each other while the girls started chatting about the simple decor of the gymnasium.

“I can’t believe there are no Star Wars icons in the entire gym.” Willow supplied. “I actually looked. No Star Wars, no Star Trek, no Stargate. No stars at all. We’re star free for the evening.”

“They actually made a good job at it.” Buffy agreed.

“That’s cause yours truly intervened.” Spike said proudly. “They wanted to decorate the gym with giant blow up dolls of Marvel heroes.”

At the confused look of the two teens he added: “You know, to go with the whole music theme.”

The two girls exchanged a look.

“Music theme?”

Spike simply outstretched his hand, pointing at no spot in particular.

I want to be your hero of love
is it getting better
is it getting brighter
I want to be your hero
your hero of love

“Note the subtle presence of the word ‘hero’ in every single song that is played tonight. They decided that the theme of the prom would be ‘Heroes’. So any song with the word ‘hero’ in the lyrics goes on tonight’s soundtrack.” Spike explained with a smirk. “It was actually a unanimous decision.”

“You agreed?” Buffy asked with a frown. “Why?”

The smile on Spike’s face grew as he started counting off his fingers:

“Highest Trails Above by The Ramones, Up In Heaven (Not Only Here) by The Clash, Shooting Stars and Paradise West by Billy Idol and of course, can’t forget, New York by the great Sex Pistols.”

“Oh, God I’m going to have a Punk filled prom.” Buffy lamented.

“Oh, baby.” Spike mewled with fake sympathy, putting a strong arm around her. “You’ll get around to liking the Punk movement; it’s inevitable after a while.”

Buffy twisted her nose in disgust as she leaned into his embrace.

“Nice trick, Spike. Gotta say I’m impressed.” Oz spoke up. “Just one problem.”

“What?” Spike questioned with a frown.

“You forgot, Holding out for a hero by Bonnie Tyler, Hero by Mariah Carey, almost fifty percent of Country music and of course…”

As if on queue, the first notes of the song started playing.

Would you dance
if I asked you to dance?

“Can’t forget that classic.” Oz made his point, tilting his head sideways.

“Oh, bloody hell.” Spike growled as Enrique Iglesias’ voice came loudly from the speakers and series of couples flooded the dance floor.

Would you run
and never look back?
Would you cry
if you saw me cry?
And would you save my soul, tonight?

“I’m in hell.” He grumbled too disillusioned to notice Xander and Cordelia approaching.

“Hey.” The brown-haired teen greeted with a wide grin.

“Hello, Xander. Cordy, love the dress.” Willow complimented.

“Hey, guys.” Spike mumbled as Buffy tugged at his sleeve.

“Come on sour puss. Let’s dance.”

Reluctantly, the bleached teen shuffled his way after her. When they reached the middle of the dance floor he put his arms around her small form and brought her closer to him while she rested her head on his shoulder. They moved slowly as the painful lyrics were heard.

She looked up to see a pout on his lips.

“Oh, come on. It’s not that bad.”

“No, it’s not bad.” He paused. “It’s horrible. It sounds like the guy wants to go to the loo and is being forced to hold it in.”

“Nice imagery, Spike.”

“Ok, it’s not that bad.” he conceded.

“I promise I’ll dance one of your horrible Punk songs with you.”

He smiled. And with that she returned her cheek to rest over his tuxedo-clad chest.

~+~

Buffy tapped her foot on the floor along with the beat as she sat around the table between Willow and Cordy.

“I can’t believe we’re at our senior prom.” Willow exclaimed as she watched Xander, Spike and Oz talking from afar.

“I can’t believe we’re going to graduate from high school next week.” Buffy replied.

“I can’t believe that girl’s wearing the same corsage as me.” Cordy pipe up. “Excuse me while I go and kill Xander.”

She was half way up, when she felt Buffy’s hand pulling her back down to her seat.

“Oh, will you relax Cordy. It’s our senior prom.”

“Exactly! She can’t be wearing the same corsage as I am.” Cordelia pointed out.

“If it makes you feel any better it looks better on you. I think it clashes with her dress.” Willow offered.

“Of course it looks better on me.” Cordy immediately replied.

There was a moment of silence as the three girls continued to observe the dance floor.

“Xander looks so cute when he laughs like that.” Cordy spoke up as she watched her boyfriend holding his stomach and chuckling at something that Spike had said.

Willow and Buffy froze. It wasn’t usual for Cordelia to be complimenting anyone, much less Xander. She was constantly pointing out what he was doing wrong, but right now she was just gazing lovingly at her other half.

“He even makes the white sock no-no look cute.”

The three girls smiled as they noticed the white sock peeking out from under his tuxedo’s trousers.

“He’ll never learn.” Willow noted.

“He did the same thing at homecoming.” Cordy sighed loudly.

“God that seems like it was eons ago!” Buffy said as she continued to observe the three boys just as Spike looked back and their gazes met.

They smiled at one another while the people around them continued to speak.

“Remember Spike won for homecoming King?” Willow asked with a grin. “Think it’s gonna happen again this time?”

“Oh, God no!” Cordy exclaimed. “If I have to dance with anyone besides Xander, let it be Angel. At least he’s taller than me.”

“Hey, Spike is not that short!” Buffy protested, breaking away from Spike’s gaze.

The redhead and brunette gave her a look.

“Ok, fine. So he’s not tall. But he makes up for it in other areas.” Buffy noted mischievously as her eyes returned to Spike.

“I bet.” Cordy said rolling her eyes. “I think we all know that by now.”

At Buffy’s questioning look she continued:

“Well, except for those few who didn’t go to the play last week.”

“Or were there but had serious hearing problems.” Willow added.

A bright flush crept up Buffy’s neck and flooded her cheeks.

“It was really funny seeing Giles’ face trying to pretend he had gone deaf.” Willow giggled.

“Oh, my God. I’m gonna die.” Buffy muttered embarrassed as she rested her face in her hands.

“Hey, ladies. Whatcha talking about?” Xander asked as he approached the table, followed by Oz and Spike.

“Nothing!” Buffy immediately piped up as Spike came to stand next to her.

Xander frowned.

I need a hero
I'm holding out for a hero 'til the morning light
He's gotta be sure
And it's gotta be soon
And he's gotta be larger than life

“Wanna dance?” Buffy quickly asked when she sensed that Xander wasn’t going to let the subject go.

“It’s in the middle of the song, but sure.” Spike shrugged as he helped her out of her seat and led her out to the dance floor.

Racing on the thunder
And rising with the heat.
It’s gonna take a superman
To swing me off my feet.

Just as the lyrics were sung Buffy felt his grip around her waist grow tighter and suddenly she found herself being swept off her feet and lost in his embrace, his mouth coming to press against hers for a passionate kiss.

She chuckled giddily against his lips until they broke apart and her feet finally met the ground.

“So…” Spike started a bit breathless as they started to slowly graze across the dance floor, completely off beat with the song. As the other couples around them moved frantically to the rhythm, they remained locked in an embrace. “…what was that about?”

The flush on her cheeks turned brighter, causing Spike to grin.

“Do you have any idea how cute you look when you’re flustered like that? Just makes me want to…” He finished his sentence by pulling her closer to him and pressing his hips against hers.

Her eyes widened and she immediately pushed him away, but kept her arms around his neck.

“No! That’s what got us in this mess in the first place.” She breathed under a frown as she scanned the couples around them. She had this horrible feeling that everyone was commenting on them. “Apparently, the entire school heard our little encounter in the janitor’s closet last week.” She explained.

“Oh.” He raised his eyebrows as realisation hit him, but seconds later he shrugged. “Big deal.”

“What do you mean big deal?” She questioned, her eyebrows furrowing further.

“So they heard us, then what?”

“Well, it’s…” Buffy started, but trailed off when she realised she had no argument.

“We are going to graduate next week and we’ll probably never see these people again.”

Buffy pondered over the issue for a few seconds and then shrugged.

“I guess…” And she leaned into his embrace once again.

“To think that eight months ago you freaked out over being caught making out on the teacher’s desk.” He chuckled.

“Don’t remind me.” She grumbled.

“Oh, come on. You have to admit that looking back it was pretty funny.” He continued.

“Spike!” She scolded looking up at him.

“What?” He asked defensively.

The smirk on his face made her frown crumble away and suddenly she was smiling too.

“Did you see the look on Harmony’s face?” She asked giggling.

“Priceless.” He answered.

They laughed out loud for a while as they looked at each other.

“Feels like an eternity ago…” She finally spoke, her gaze turning distant once again. “How did we end up here? You and me… together at our senior prom. We hated each other so much!”

“I eventually won you over with my incredibly sexy boyish charms. It was just a matter of time.” He said haughtily.

“Shut up!” She swatted him across the chest, but a smile remained over her lips.

“I’m irresistible Summers, and you know it.” He continued.

“Pig.” She muttered.

“A very sexy and hot pig.” He added raising one scarred eyebrow at her.

She simply shook her head before resting it back on his shoulder.

Just as they were about to continue dancing, the music was cut short and Jonathan’s nervous voice was heard from the speakers:

“E-excuse me. C-can I have your attention please?” He stuttered tapping the microphone twice and causing a painful feedback shriek to fill the gymnasium. “S-sorry.” He apologized when the entire room cringed. He cleared his throat and continued: “Well, it’s our senior prom, finally, and in a week we will all have graduated from high school.”

“It’s about time.” Someone shouted from the crowd and a general laugh followed.

“Ha.” Jonathan forced out a chuckled and continued reading from his queue card. “Anyway, we are gathered here to celebrate our journey into-“

“Oh, get on with it already.” Someone yelled.

“We’ll have to go through this during the graduation ceremony.” Another was heard.

“Cut to Chase.” Larry’s recognisable voice echoed through the gym.

Everyone giggled at the joke. It was just too obvious that Cordelia Chase would be Prom Queen.

“Ha, funny.” Jonathan smiled meekly. “Ok, then. The Prom Queen for this year is…” He opened the envelope and read out loud: “Cordelia Chase.”

“Finally.” Cordy grumbled between clenched teeth as she smiled and made her way up to the stage.

Spike looked at Buffy sideways and noticed she was twisting her hands together.

“Don’t worry, luv. I’m not gonna win this time.” He assured her.

At her frown he added:

“Had a talk with Andrew about fixing the polls.”

“And the Prom King is… Angel O’Neill.” Jonathan announced.

“See?” Spike asked wrapping his arms around her small waist and bringing her to the sidelines so that Angel and Cordy could share the King and Queen’s dance.

They joined the rest of the group as the two popular brunettes came together. Spike glanced to see Xander biting the inside of his cheek and grumbling something incomprehensible.

“Don’t worry whelp, she likes you.” Spike tried to assure his friend but Xander wouldn’t stand still until the final notes of the song were heard.

“Finally.” He gasped when Cordy and Angel parted ways. “I thought that song would never end.” He grumbled as he put one protective arm around his girlfriend and glared daggers at Angel from across the room. The quarterback ignored him, putting his arm around his date, a blonde blue-eyed girl, apparently a freshman in college named Darla.

Buffy couldn’t help but smile at that. It was just so cute how one single dance could make Xander jealousy, but then again she had thrown a fit for much less in the past. The corner of her mouth twisted for a peaceful smirk as she leaned back into Spike’s embrace and let the memories of the last year flood her mind.



Epilogue


Buffy wiggled her bare toes once again as she spread out on the comfortable blanket; the balls of her feet coming into contact with the fresh grass while her head rested on a strong t-shirt-clad chest. She closed her eyes and let her fingers trace the contours of the white fabric against which she rested her cheek. It felt good to just stand still for a while after the madness of the last few days.

“What are you thinking about, luv?” Spike’s deep, raspy voice caused his chest to rumble a bit.

“Nothing… Everything.” She answered snuggling closer to him.

“Oh, we’re in ‘deep thought’ mode today.” He joked, earning him a swat across his arm.

She looked up and rested her chin on his chest as she gazed into his eyes; his head propped up on both hands which were folded behind his neck.

“I was just thinking about this last year…” She spoke with a soft smile. “Everything seemed to happen so quickly and so slowly at the same time.”

He frowned and she tried to explain:

“It’s just that I remember everything so clearly, still it seems like it happened so long ago. You know what I mean?”

“Sure.”

She paused for a second; her index finger trailing over his t-shirt, drawing secret patterns.

“I can’t believe we graduated from high school. It seemed like this year would never end.”

“You’re not getting nostalgic already, are you? We only graduated two days ago.” He noted.

“I don’t know. It’s just that I get this sinking feeling that nothing’s going to be the same. Everything’s gonna change. I’m just gonna miss everything so much.”

“Change is good. A lot of things changed this year, most of them were good.” He countered.

“Maybe, but…” She let out a long sigh. “High school’s over.”

“Kind of inevitable, luv.”

“I know. I’m just gonna miss everyone.”

“What do you mean? You’re gonna see everyone next year. You, me, Willow, Oz and Cordy are going off to Sunnydale College. Xander’s gonna take a year of to ‘find himself’, which means he’ll just gonna sit around in his parents’ basement all year until he decides to get off his lazy ass and go to college.” Spike rationalized.

“Yeah, you’re probably right.” She smiled once again.

“Of course I am!” He said haughtily. “Now, stop moping around and let us enjoy the free time before the others arrive.”

“When did they say they were coming?” Buffy asked.

“At six. They’re coming in Oz’s van so they have to wait till he wraps up band practice. Which means…” He propped himself up on his elbow and reached for Buffy’s wrist turning it so he could read the time. “…we have exactly two and a half hours to enjoy this amazing scenery.” He said outstretching his arm and pointing at the lake that spread out before them.

“Enjoy the scenery… Right. I like the euphemism.” Buffy joked as she crawled up his body and brushed her smiling lips against his.

“What? I’m serious. You gotta admit that my father’s cabin has the greatest view ever.” Spike tried to sound innocent.

“I wouldn’t know. Last time I was here I was too… distracted with other things to notice the view.” Buffy mumbled mischievously as her hand trailed down his chest and boldly brushed against his crotch.

“Oh, really…?” Spike questioned with a leer as he put his hand on the back of her neck and forced her down for a hungry kiss.

“Mmmm…” She tried to reply but it was impossible, so she simply nodded as they rolled over and she found herself laying on her back with Spike’s body hovering over hers.

Suddenly, he was off her. It took a few seconds for Buffy to focus her eyes and realise what had happened. When she looked up he was sitting next to her; an impish grin on his lips.

“Better not distract you from the view.” He said.

“Why you little…” She scolded sitting up straight and swinging her hand toward him but he was on his feet in a flash.

She stumbled upward and chased him around for a few minutes before she gave up.

“What? Can’t keep up?” Spike asked a bit breathless.

“Not really.” She replied, shrugging.

“Oh, poor little Buffy is too tired to chase after me.” He mocked with a babyish tone.

“No. I don’t need to chase you.” She said as she kicked off her shoes.

“I’m just too fast for you, baby.” He continued, daring her to come after him as he stuck out his tongue and ran it over his teeth.

“I told you Spike.” She started, as her hands hid behind her back for a few seconds before the sound of a zipper was heard. “I don’t…” She let the strings that held her sundress in place fall off her shoulders and soon the fabric pooled around her ankles.

Spike closed his mouth, swallowing hard when he saw her standing there, bathed in sunlight, wearing nothing but a flimsy thong.

“… need to chance you...” And the thong was gone too. “…if I can get you…” She stepped away from him as he walked closer to her. “… to chase me.”

And they were off, giggling and chuckling. Buffy ran as fast as she could, but running barefoot, even if it was on the grass, wasn’t very comfortable and pretty soon she realised that the only way to avoid being caught was racing into the lake. And that’s what she did.

Spike grumbled frustrated when he saw her diving into the cool water. After a few seconds she came up, her hair wet and slicked back. Without thinking, Spike quickly disposed himself of his clothes. Jeans, t-shirt, boots and socks flew in every direction as he took them off. Soon he was diving into the lake after her.

Buffy couldn’t escape for too long and eventually she found herself trapped between two very strong, very pale arms.

“Gotcha!” He said triumphantly.

“We really gotta work on your tan, you know that?” She asked breathless.

“Later. Maybe.” He gasped before he smashed his lips against hers, her legs instinctively coming to wrap themselves around his waist.

Buffy mewled into the kiss when she felt something long and hard stab the inside of her thigh. She quickly moved her hips to position him when:

“Oh, my God! They’re going at it again!” Cordy’s voice was heard loudly.

The two blondes froze. When they turned around they were met by four pairs of shocked eyes. Well, more like two pairs of shocked eyes, because Cordy’s were more of an angry/frustrated kind and Oz’s were just… Oz’s.

“You guys are like rabbits, you know that?” Cordy grumbled from the shore.

Nervously, the other three teens started retreating. When Cordelia failed to follow them, Xander grabbed her arms and stuttered as he dragged her away:

“O-Oz’s band practice was cancelled.” Noting how ridiculous explaining was at that moment, Xander simply added: “W-We’ll just be at the cabin, unloading our stuff.”

And with that they were out of sight. Without a second to lose, Spike’s lips returned to Buffy’s neck, while her eyes were still locked on the spot where her friends had just stood two seconds before.

“Spike, what are you doing?”

“What does it feel like?” He moaned with a hoarse voice as his tongue trance up the column of her neck.

“Not now. The others are here.” She scolded him, trying to free herself.

“They’re not anymore.” He continued his ministrations but was stopped when Buffy finally managed to push him away.

“But, Buffy…” He mewled after her as he watched her swim to shore.

“No, buts, we can do that later.” She said as she started picking up her clothes.

“Bloody hell…” He grumbled as he reluctantly exited the water and started to get dressed. “Whose idea was it to invite them to spend the week here at the cabin with us anyway?”

“Yours.” Buffy answered promptly as she threw his t-shirt at him while he was zipping up his jeans.

“Oh, right.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll make it up to you later.” She said with a smile, folding the blanket as she waited for him.

When he caught up with her, she wrapped her arms around his waist and the blonde duo made their way up to the cabin.

The End