Chapter 13:



“Buffy, are you ok?” Spike heard a worried voice ask.

He held his breath, drawing himself nearer to Buffy’s now trembling form as the sound of footsteps let him know that Mrs. Summers was coming into the room.

Buffy froze, her stomach seemed intent on doing those distracting flip-flops as she felt his body cling to her form.

“I-I’m fine!” she managed to say in a nervous stutter.

“I heard a noise. What happened?” Mrs. Summers enquired taking a seat on the mattress next to her daughter.

The teen swallowed hard, her mind a haze as her heart raced in her chest and her hands became sweaty.

“N-Nothing happened. Must have been from outside.” She answered tilting her head towards the window.

Suddenly, out of the corner of her eyes, she caught a glimpse of red on her table. ‘Oh my God! The cigarettes!’ Her mind screamed at her as she watched her mom get up and walk over to the opened window.

“Mom!” She instinctively shouted.

Mrs. Summers stopped in her tracks and turned to face her child.

“What, honey?”

“Leave the window open, I’m kinda hot.” She made up the excuse in a moments notice.

In the meantime, Spike remained frozen under the covers. His bare chest glued to Buffy’s right thigh, his legs twisted around the rest of her leg, positioning her foot in a very, very awkward place. His arms wound around her waist while his head rested on her partially bare stomach.

“You’re not coming down with something, are you?” A concerned Mrs. Summers asked walking back over to the bed and placing her hand on Buffy’s forehead.

“You do feel kind of warm…”

“I’m fine!” She piped up nervously. “I-I’m fine.” She repeated with a little less anxiety.

“Are you sure?”

Buffy felt Spike move under the covers, his hand brushing over the inside of her thigh as he tried to make himself a little more comfortable. It took all of her strength to keep from gasping, her facial muscles contorting as she tried to repress the urge. Her mind seemed to drift for a second. All she could think about was that she had a semi naked boy in her bed, clinging to her right leg under the covers.

“Buffy?”

Her mother’s voice finally seemed to penetrate the thick fog surrounding her brain.

“Ah! What?!” She mumbled as she was snapped out of her daze.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to get you anything?” Mrs. Summers repeated.

“I’m sure, mom. I’m fine.” The last word came out in a high-pitch tone as she felt his warm breath on her stomach.

She closed her eyes to prevent her mom from seeing her rolling them back in their sockets.

Under the covers, Spike tried to push back the little voice in his head that beckoned him to touch her or maybe just to brush his lips over the exposed flesh of her lean stomach, just once… ‘Concentrate, concentrate…’ He kept repeating in his thoughts not realising he was starting to pant.

Buffy thanked whatever gods there were out there that her mother had her back turned to her when Spike’s breath became more evident on her tummy. She tried to repress the urge to move abruptly, but eventually ended up wiggling her toes in the process.

Spike’s eyes widened as he felt something quickly brush over his groin and couldn’t help letting out a deep groan.

Buffy froze when she felt something hard against her toes.

“What was that, honey?” Mrs. Summers stopped at the door and turned to face her daughter.

“Um… I-I said: Goodnight, mom!” Buffy lied.

With a soft smile, Mrs. Summers turned the knob, opening the door. Before she exited the room, she whispered:

“Goodnight, honey.”

And she was gone.

Buffy and Spike remained frozen in place until they heard the clicking sound of another door opening and closing. Complete silence filled the room only broken by the quick and short pants coming from the petite blonde.

She held her breath as she felt him crawl his way from under the covers, his arm lightly gliding across hers.

“That was close.” He breathed sitting next to her, on the bed, his legs still under the sheets.

She stared wide eyed at him, sometimes daring to throw a glance at his bare chest.

“Are you ok, luv?” He finally asked.

Then, something unexpected happened. Actually, considering it was Buffy, it wasn’t unexpected at all. She brusquely pulled at the sheets, shoving him off the bed with her shoulder, causing him to topple off the mattress onto the floor.

“Hey!” He protested.

“Stay out of my bed!” She hissed in a low voice, careful not to wake her mother once again.

The Brit remained on the floor, staring wide eyed at the petite blonde who looked back at him with a defiant chin jutting out.

Anger flashed in his eyes as he got up and grabbed the edge of the covers and pulled them off her, then proceeded by snagging one of Buffy’s pillows.

“I get the covers.” He said laying down on the floor next to her bed and pulling the sheets over himself while he rested his head on the pillow.

Without a word she got up and snatched the covers from him, setting them on the bed.

“Those are mine, I’ll get you something else.” She explained as she turned on the light and opened her wardrobe.

She looked through it for a few second and grabbed something. Walking back to him, she dropped them on his lap.

“There.” She grumbled, climbing onto the bed and covering herself.

“Are you kidding me? Scooby-Doo sheets?” The Brit protested in a low voice.

“It’s all I’ve got. My mom keeps the covers in a cupboard in the hall.” She explained as she closed her eyes and turned her back to him.

Reluctantly, he picked up the sheets. He gasped when he spread them out. They were miniscule, reaching as high as his waist. If he wanted to cover his shoulders he would have to keep his feet in the cold or the other way around.

“Bloody hell! This thing’s baby sized.” He complained.

“What did you expect? Those were my sheets when I was a kid.” She grumbled never bothering to face him.

“Bugger all!” He grumbled as he covered his legs with the small fabric.

A few moments of silence managed to filter between them before Spike’s whispering voice was heard:

“Are you still up, Betty?”

“It’s BUFFY!” She hissed between clenched teeth.

“Sorry.” He said with little conviction.

Silence.

“Buffy…” He called again.

“What?” She grumbled.

“What do we do about tomorrow?” He enquired as he stared up at the ceiling, his hands resting on the back of his neck as he laid on his back.

“What about tomorrow?” She replied with an annoyed tone.

“You’re mom, if she walks in… won’t be a pretty sight.”

“I’ve set the alarm. We wake up before she does, wait till she’s out of the house and then we can leave and end this nightmare. By the way, you are never setting foot in my house ever again.” She grumbled, her back still turned to him.

Minutes later…

“Buffy…”

“Spike?” She mumbled.

“Yeah?”

“Go to sleep.”

“I can’t. All I can think about is having a fag.” He lied.

“Think about something else, cause you’re *not* smoking in my room.”

Silence…

“Luv?”

“What!?” She exhaled sharply, turning around to face him. “What do you want this time?” She moved to the edge of her bed and looked down on him. She couldn’t help biting her lower lip at the sight of his bare chest bathed in moonlight.

“What about school?” He enquired looking up at her.

“What about school?” She sighed trying to sound as exasperated as possible.

“You know…”

“It’s one in the morning, Spike. Trust me, I don’t know.” She grumbled as she glanced at her alarm clock.

“The library… what we agreed on?” He managed to say without giving away his unease.

Buffy felt her whole body tense up at the recollection. She ignored it and replied:

“We already did it, so… no need to talk about it anymore.”

She quickly lay back on the bed, facing the ceiling.

“Oh, come on. You know it’s not going to work. We might have convinced the nerdy kids, but not the rest of the school.” He protested, turning on his side and propping up his head on his left hand.

When he heard no answer he called her name.

“I’m here.” She mumbled. “I’m thinking.”

Minutes passed and Spike grew impatient.

“Buffy? You done thinking?”

“Fine! We’ll do it. Tomorrow. During lunch break. Now go to sleep.”

Buffy tried to ignore the sinking feeling in her stomach and settled down to sleep. But slumber never came. She tossed and turned in bed, the strange sensation of anxiety strangling her, making it hard to breathe, to move, to think, to do anything at all. She moved to the edge of the mattress and glanced down at an apparently sound asleep Spike. She returned to her nervous flipping over under the covers until she heard him mumble in a low voice.

“What’s the matter, luv?” He asked as he realized he wasn’t going to get any sleep if he didn’t make her stop moving around.

“Nothing.” She quickly lied.

“Then why are you tossing and turning?”

“I’m just… trying to get comfortable.” She retorted.

“You’ve been trying to get comfortable for an hour now.”

“I-… It’s just that… maybe it’s not such a good idea.” She dared to say.

“What is?”

“The… plan… and kissing.” She hesitated.

“You chickening out?” He chuckled.

“I *am* not!” She sat up on the bed to look down at him, pulling the sheets around her small form.

“You’re chickening out.” He teased.

“I AM not!” She insisted.

“What is it luv? Afraid if you kiss me you won’t be able to keep you hands off of my tight little body?” He continued his mockery.

“Ha! As if!” The anger growing in her helped her get over the nervousness racing through her.

“That’s it, isn’t it? You’re afraid you won’t be able resist me.” He continued to tease.

“Spike, I could kiss you anytime, anyplace, if only I could repress the intense urge to hurl I have every time you are within two feet of me.” She snapped. But her harsh words lost most of their sting at the sight of her nervous pulling and pushing of the sheets.

Spike smiled and sat up on the floor.

“Prove it.” He challenged her in a low voice.

Buffy’s eyes widened as he crawled his way into the kneeling position and set his hand on the mattress on each side of her. She gazed at him, cocky grin over his lips, a defiant sparkle in his eyes.

“Ha!” She managed to snap out of her daze. “Nice try! I’m not that easy.” And she forced a plastic smile on her lips.

“Believe me luv, I’m not trying to trick you into kissing me. I’m just afraid that tomorrow you’ll go all Al Gore on me, in front of the whole school.” He retorted.

Buffy widened her eyed and furrowed her eyebrows, clearly offended.

“Come on, pet. You gotta admit, every time I try to touch you or even go anywhere near you, you freeze up.”

“It’s because of the hurling factor. I told you.” She pouted.

“Get over it if you want to fool anyone.” He snapped a bit offended.

They looked at each other for a few moments, in silence, until Buffy broke it. With a loud sigh and patting the mattress, signalling him to sit.

“Come here.” She mumbled reluctantly.

“What for?” He grumbled.

“If I’m supposed to not freeze up, I better get used to having you near me.” She stated the obvious.

He stood up and plopped down on the bed with a loud, annoyed sigh. They sat once more in silence until Buffy spoke:

“Well… are you just gonna stand there? Touch me.” She ordered.

“What?!” Spike choked.

“I’m supposed to act natural when you touch me, so…”

A mischievous grin spread over his lips as he eyed her suggestively.

“Not *that* kind of touching!” She immediately stepped in.

He pulled his mouth to one side in a wicked version of a smirk and then nodded. Slowly, his fingers ran over a strand of hair which fell over her face and neatly placed it behind her ear. They then proceeded with making their way down to her shoulder, over her collarbone to reach her neck and cup her cheek. He moved his whole body closer to hers, as his other hand traced circular pattered over her right arm, down to her hand. He felt her tense up when he sneaked it around her waist and drew her closer to him.

“See? This is what I’m talking about.” He complained, dropping his arms to his sides and sighing audibly.

“I’m sorry.” She said with a pout. “It’s just…” She took a long deep breath, closed her eyes and continued: “Ok! I’m focusing. Try again.”

It took a few moments, but she soon felt him move around her and take his place behind her, spreading his legs on either side of her. His hand brushed over her golden locks, pulling them over her left shoulder, exposing her neck. Instinctively, Buffy tilted her head baring her right shoulder to him. She felt his arms encircle her, bringing her back closer to his chest, until she was leaning on him. His hands rested on her waist idly playing with the edges of her shirt. Buffy couldn’t help but smile as she remembered him doing that just the day before. But the smirk soon crumbled and she froze as she felt his lips lightly brush over her shoulder. He stopped as he felt her tense up, and waited for a few seconds. Silently, she gave him permission to continue and he returned his mouth to the tender flesh at the crook of her neck. At first it was soft and almost imperceptible, but it soon grew in intensity as he lightly suckled at her skin, his teeth nibbling as he made his way up to her earlobe. He took it into his mouth and his grip immediately tightened around her waist. Lost in the feeling, she relaxed and her own hands came into play as she caressed his bare arms. A low sigh escaped her parted lips as he continued his ministrations and she leaned against him for support. His lips left her ear to trace the edge of her jaw as she turned around to face him when suddenly he backed away.

It took a second for her to perceive the loss of his touch, but eventually she did. She blinked wildly as she tried to focus her foggy eyes on him.

“What?” She breathed.

“I heard a noise.”

They sat in silence, waiting for another sound, but it never came. They exchanged a quick glance and all the awkwardness of the moment came flooding in. Buffy frantically ran her hands through her hair as she struggled to find something to say.

“Well… I-I guess… we’re… done.” She managed to stutter.

“Yeah.” Spike desperately tried to sound nonchalant and calm about the whole situation but all of a sudden what do to with his hands became an issue as he tried shoving them into the back pockets of his black jeans, awkwardly stumbling out of the bed.

“Well… Goodnight then.” She stammered as she watched him laying down on the floor.

She pulled the covers over her shoulders, nuzzling against the pillow. She held her breath as she recognized a strange scent over her sheets and all around her – his scent. Once again, she struggled to find slumber, but this time she wasn’t alone. On the floor, lying spread-eagle, Spike stared up at the ceiling, his mind wandering in the clouds, unable to fall asleep.

It was going to be a long night.




Chapter 14:



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Author’s Note: The song in this chapter is Elisa’s Dancing and I’d really recommend you to download it and listen to it while you’re reading this chapter, especially the part where it’s mentioned. ;) Plus it’s a cool song!


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buffy repressed a groan when she eyed the alarm clock and it read: ‘Four a.m. It’s 4 am and I’m still up.’ She thought. For the third time that night, she carefully rolled over to the edge of the bed to check on her uninvited guest. ‘Sound asleep. Bastard!’ She cursed in her mind. She cleared her voice loudly and glanced at the pale boy. He never moved.

Spike kept his eyes closed, in the vague chance that sleep might come to him, but it didn’t. He was still wide awake, his mind plagued with indecent thoughts of the obnoxious blonde sleeping just a few feet from him. ‘Get yourself together, man. What the hell are you thinking? Sure, the chit’s not bad, but not worth losing a night’s sleep over.’ He mentally scolded himself as he felt his body start to react at the mere recollection of what had happened earlier that night. Sighing, he turned on his side, making sure to rest his back against the freezing wall. Maybe that would cool him off.

“Bloody hell!” He jumped up into sitting position as he felt something metallic sting his lower back.

Looking at the floor, he found a remote and picked it up. He didn’t have much time to inspect it as the lights were flipped on and an apparently sleepy Buffy moaned: “What was that?” She forced her voice to sound drowsy and hoarse.

Spike blinked a couple of times as his eyes adjusted to the strong light that now filled the room. Before he could answer, Buffy snatched the remote from his hands and piped up, suddenly wide awake:

“That’s where it was.” She said as she placed the remote on her nightstand. “I was looking for that.”

Gradually, the sound of a piano filled the room. The two blondes turned to see the stereo - it was lit up.

“Must have turned it on.” Spike explained as slowly a soft female voice flowed in key with the instrument:

Time is gonna take my mind
and carry it far away where I can fly
The depth of life
will dim
my temptation to live for you.

The two blondes stared at each other for a glimpse of a second and then Buffy jumped and reach for the remote.

“No!” Spike called out.

She stopped and turned to face him. She found him with a serious look on his face.

If I were to be alone
silence would rock my tears
'cause it's all about love
and I know better
How life is a waving feather

“I wanna hear it.” He said.

Buffy cocked up a perfectly shaped eyebrow.

“You? Wanna hear this?” She asked suspicious, pointing at the stereo with the remote in hands.

“Why not?” He questioned innocently.

“Mr.-Bad-Ass-Billy-Idol-wannabe wants to hear a sappy song?” She chuckled.

“I can do sappy. There are many layers to me, luv.” He explained.

“Oh! Tons, heaps of layers!” She said sarcastically shaking her head.

“And what’s that supposed to mean?”

“Come on, Spike. You’re a guy! You only have layers when you wanna convince girls that you’re sensitive.” She mocked while the song grew in intensity in the background.

So I put my arms around you
Around you
And I know that I'll be leaving soon

Spike furrowed his eyebrows in a clear sign of hurt.

“I’m just being honest.” She said with a smile.

“Ok, so maybe you are right.” He finally admitted with a grin of his own.

My eyes are on you, they're on you
And you see that I can't stop shaking

The two blondes froze, staring intensely at each other, as they realised that they were having a civil conversation without the usual banter or sparing. The music continued to play in the background and a chill ran down Buffy’s spine. She shook her head as the moment became too much and looked down at the sheets avoiding his piercing gaze. She regretted it the moment she did it as the lyrics wheeling around them described her actions.

No, I won't step back but I'll look down to hide from your eyes
'cause what I feel is so sweet and I'm scared that even my own breath
Oh could burst it if it were a bubble
And I'd better dream if I have to struggle

Awkwardly, Buffy sat up straight and started playing with the remote in her hands while the frail voice coming from the stereo soared haunting heights.

So I put my arms around you around you
And I hope that I will do no wrong
My eyes are on you they're on you
And I hope that you won't hurt me

“So…” She started never daring to glance up at him. She froze when she realised he was standing up and coming to sit on the bed next to her. She remained still, holding her breath has he reached for a loose strand of her hair and slowly pushed it behind her ear.

I'm dancing in the room as if I was in the woods with you
No need for anything but music
Music's the reason why I know time still exists
Time still exists
Time still exists
Time still exists

As he leaned in something inside of her snapped. She jumped up and was standing by the bed in a flash, her voice over enthusiastic and high-pitched: “Ok! I think we’ve practiced that enough for tonight!”

The Brit teen stared at her under a furrowed brow until he understood what she meant.

“Well, we-we better get some sleep, tomorrow being a school day and all. And-“ She spoke quickly and awkwardly as she searched for the remote, which had somehow slipped from her hands and was lost between her sheets. “Ha! Found it!” She said triumphantly, standing up straight and holding her prize.

So I just put my arms around you around you
And I hope that I will do no wrong
My eyes are on you they're on you
And I hope that you won't hurt me-

Silence once again filled the room as she pushed the off button. Buffy set the remote on the nightstand and stood beside the bed looking at him with a plastic smile on her face. Clearly embarrassed, Spike stood up to take his place on the floor once again.

“Well… Goodnight.” She piped up as she snuck under the covers, but she had no answer.

She felt something tug at her racing heart, but ignored it, closing her eyes and forcing herself to fall asleep.

The hours passed and soon it was seven am and the alarm clock rang. Buffy’s hands reached up and pressed the off button. She yawned audibly, pretending to have slept the entire night, as she moved to the edge of the bed. There he was, laying on the floor, curled up into a little ball pulling at the blanket to cover himself as much as he could.

“Spike…” She called softly, but had no answer. “Spike…” She whispered once again, this time reaching for him and lightly pushing him.

“Hum…” She heard him mumble as he turned his back to her.

“Spike… Wake up… My mom’s gonna be here any minute.” She said climbing off the bed and sitting on the floor next to him.

Her hands rested on his arm, pulling at him to turn him around as she spoke. Eventually, he did but he was still fast asleep. She watched as he nestled his face against her thighs. He looked so peaceful, so… non obnoxious.

Instinctively, she ran her fingers over his sharp cheekbones leaving her thumb behind to caress the amazingly soft skin there. She caught her breath as he nuzzled against it, his lips curling slightly up for a lazy smile. She heard him mumble something in his daze and she leaned in to hear him whisper in a drooling tone: “Dru…”

Her eyes grew wide as she felt her stomach twist in disgust. In a flash, she was up and shaking him gruffly: “Wake up!”

“Hum… What?” The Brit blinked wildly as he tried to ascertain where he was. A deep furrow marred his eyebrows as his sight focused on the petite blonde violently walking around in circles. “Oh, God… It wasn’t a nightmare.” He grumbled with a hoarse voice.

“Get up, get under the bed and don’t get out of there until I tell you!” She said simply before she opened the door and walked out of the room, leaving a dumbstruck, sleepy teen behind.


~+~


The moment the front door closed and she was sure her mother was out of the household, Buffy raced up the stairs. She stopped abruptly when she reached her bedroom. Taking in two deep, long breaths, she turned the doorknob and entered the room.

“Spike?” She asked when the bleached teen was nowhere in sight. “Spike?”

She walked in and headed for the bed, bending down to check under it. Nothing.

“Spik-“

“Bah!” Two jabbing hands were on her waist as a loud voice filled the room.

“AHH!” She screamed off the top of her lungs, twisting around suddenly, her right knee hitting its target right on the spot.

It was Spike’s turn to howl - in throbbing pain. Buffy’s fingers automatically went for her mouth, her eyes widening as she watched the bleached teen laying on the floor wailing while his hands were buried between his legs.

“I-I’m sorry.” She stuttered, frozen in place, her eyebrows wrinkled in a painful frown.

“Bloody hell, woman!” He yelled, still lying on the floor, his face the picture of agony.

“I-I..” She stammered as she kneeled next to him.

Immediately, he jumped back, fear coming over him.

“Just stay away from them!” He ordered between howls.

“Well… “ She said outraged as she stood up. “You-you shouldn’t have grabbed me like that.”

“It was a joke.” He protested as he tried to get up to his feet but failed. “I think I’ll just stay down here for… a while.” He said as he sat back down, leaning on her table.

“Suit yourself. I’m going to take a shower.” She replied as she stalked out of the room.


~+~


Spike waited patiently on the floor, still nursing his sore parts when he heard the door squeak. He turned to see Buffy’s drenched head pop in.

“Turn around.” She ordered.

“What?! I can barely move here, luv, and you want me to turn around?” He asked, cocking up an eyebrow.

“Well then… Close your eyes.” She insisted.

“It’s not like I haven’t seen a girl wrapped up in a towel before, you know?” He said sarcastically, annoying smirk on.

“Do you wanna get kicked again?” She questioned innocently as she put on her sweetest, fake smile.

A hint of fear flashed in the teen’s eyes before he closed them. He heard sloppy footsteps entering the room and a faint scent of vanilla hit him. Instinctively, he inhaled a little deeper and the aroma surrounded him. He was about to attempt to open his eyes when he heard: “You open your eyes and I swear you will leave this room with a vocal tone higher then ten Michael Jackson’s put together.” She threatened.

Swallowing hard, he kept his eyelids closed shut, patiently waiting for her signal. He listened carefully to the shuffling; the sound of the wardrobe door opening and closing a few times and then there was silence.

“Buffy?” He asked as a frown settled on his eyebrows.

“Keep your eyes closed.” She commanded..

“They’re closed!” He replied shrugging.

He heard more shuffling and then felt heavy covers being dropped on him.

“Hey!” He protested.

“Don’t peep!”

The minutes crawled by and nothing.

“Are you ready?” He finally asked.

“No.”

“You haven’t even picked out your clothes, have you?” He questioned, a hint of exasperation in his voice. There was a pause. “Buffy?”

“No, I haven’t.” She finally said in one breath and the teen under the covers groaned.

“Will you hurry up, woman?”

“Stop calling me that!” She snapped.

“What? Woman?”

“Yes! I have a name, it’s Buffy!”

“Whatever, pet.”

“Grrrr…” He heard her growl.

Another ten minutes passed and Spike restarted the conversation.

“So… What was that whole thing with your mom?”

Silence.

“Buffy?”

“I don’t wanna talk about it.” She growled.

“Her first date after your da?” Having no answer he continued. “It’s ok to feel kinda weird about it.”

A furious stomp broke the silence.

“It was kinda strange for me too when my da first started going out.”

The stillness returned and Spike was about to continue when Buffy mumbled: “You’re parents are divorced?”

“My mom died when I was a kid.”

“Oh…”

An uncomfortable silence returned but was soon broken by the Brit still hidden under the covers.

“It’s normal, you know? For your mom to want to go on with her life.”

“I know.” Buffy admitted reluctantly.

“You’ll get used to the idea. Who knows, you might even like the guy.”

“Never!” Was the petite blonde’s immediate response.

Spike couldn’t help but chuckle.

“It’s not funny!” She protested with a pout.

“You’ll-“ cough “You’ll-“ cough “Can I come out from under this thing? Breathing is becoming a problem.”

His answer came when the covers were swiftly lifted off him. He blinked as his eyes adjusted to the light, after a few seconds his sight focused on the short blonde girl standing in front of him. She wore low cut jeans and a light-blue turtleneck sweater.

“All that time for that?” He frowned as he got up.

“What’s wrong with this?” She protested as she opened the wardrobe door and looked at herself in the mirror.

“Nothing. It’s fine!” He immediately jumped in between her and the mirror. “Let’s go!” He continued as he dragged her out of the room by her arm.

The first thing the bleached Brit did when he stepped out of the house was light up a cigarette, which immediately earned him a look from the short blonde who walked next to him.

“Don’t look at me like that.” He warned her as the smoke flowed out of his mouth.

“That’s disgusting.” She retorted, making a face. “I’m not kissing you today.”

“A-ha! I knew you’d chicken out! Gotta say- good excuse, luv.”

“It’s not an excuse, I just don’t want to have a bad taste in my mouth.” She explained as she looked down at her feet.

“How do you know it tastes bad?” He asked her with a smirk, his eyes on her.

“It smells bad, it tastes bad. That’s my motto.” She replied pushing her lips together. The weight of his stare starting to get to her.

“You’ll never know till you actually taste it.” He said as he suggestively ran his tongue over his lips.

“I already did, remember!” Her face contorted for a disgusted look.

“Tell you what, I’ll buy a pack of breath mints before lunch. Happy?” He suggested as they continued to walk down the street.

“How about we just postpone the kissing scene for tomorrow and you don’t smoke till then?” She looked up at him with hope in her eyes.

“Nice try, pet. It’s today or never.”

“Hum… Never?” She quickly opted giving him a plastic.

“Come on, luv. We’ve talk about-“ “Ok, ok. No need to bring on the whining skills, I know you’ve got them..” She grumbled.

“That’s my girl.”

“I’m not your girl, William.”

“Don’t call me William.” Seriousness dawned in his voice.

“Don’t call me pet or luv or woman.”

“Deal.” He agreed.

They continued to walk in silence for a couple more minutes till Buffy sighed and grumbled: “Why didn’t you bring your bike?"

“It’s in the shop.” He answered.

“I hate walking.” She continued to protest as the high school finally came into view.

“Gotta say I agree with you on that one, pet.”

“Thanks… William.” She said with a fake smile as he looked at her from under a frown.

They walked up the steps to the main door of the teen-filled building and entered the halls. They reached class 209 and the two teens stopped.

“This is me.” She said as she played with the cover of her history book.

Spike awkwardly nodded as he shoved his hands into the back pockets of his jeans. Buffy’s gaze bounced off the walls and scanned the entire hall as she tried to avoid the bleached teen standing in front of her. She froze as she saw Angel and Dru walking towards them, the quarterback’s heavy arms draped over the black clad teen. Spike followed her eyes and swallowed hard as the couple quickly approached them.

“Well… bye.” She uttered quickly as she turned around to enter the classroom, when she felt herself being pulled backwards by her left arm.

Before she could register Spike’s arms around her or her chest pushed against his, his lips came down to crush hers in a demanding kiss. She froze, feeling his hands slip under her sweater to caress her lower back for a split second before he pulled away from her.

“Didn’t taste that bad, did it, luv?” He whispered in her ear before he walked away.

Buffy was left behind, completely dumbstruck, staring at the parting teen as he strolled pass Angel and Dru.

“Dru. Angel.” She heard him greet them before Mrs. Finch’s high-pitched voice pierced its way through the haze that engulfed her.

“Miss Summers are you planning on joining us anytime soon?”


~+~


Buffy yawned loudly as she walked out of the classroom after Oz and Willow.

“Buffy, I knew you didn’t like Spanish, but I had no idea the subject bored you so much.” The redhead noted as they walked down the hall.

“I just didn’t get much sleep last night. That’s all.” Buffy explained in a low voice.

“Bummed over your mom going out on a date, huh?” Willow gave her best friend a sympathetic look.

“I’m adjusting.” Buffy mumbled.

“Hey guys!” They heard Xander’s booming voice as he approached.

“Xander, you don’t have to shout.” Cordelia grumbled as they all walked towards the cafeteria, suddenly, Buffy stopped.

“What’s up, Buffster?” Xander asked.

“I-I don’t think I’m hungry.” She stuttered awkwardly.

“Are you going on one of those stupid ‘eat nothing and get anaemia’ kind of diets?” The boy questioned.

“No, you guys just go along and I-I’ll join you later.”

“Buffy, you really should-“

Before Willow could say anything else, Buffy had whirled around and was steadily walking down the hall. Willow and Xander exchanged a concerned look.

“What’s up with the Buffster?”

“It’s her mom.” Willow began as they entered the cafeteria. “She- Spike!” The redhead jumped up as the bleached teen appeared in front of her out of nowhere.

“Hey, red. Where’s Buffy?”

“She wasn’t feeling well. She doesn’t want to have…” She wasn’t able to finish her sentence as the Brit turned around and left. Willow instantly pouted. “Why’s everyone running from me?”

“I won’t.” Oz piped up, worming his arm around his girlfriend.


~+~


Buffy walked idly down the hall as she made her way to the football field when someone grabbed her by her arm and dragged her into an empty classroom.

“Spike.” She jumped when she saw him and asked nervously: “What are you doing here?”

“You’re not getting off the hook that easy..” He said tilting his head as he leaned on the door, blocking her way out.

“Wh-What are you talking about?” she stuttered.

“Buffy…”

“Well… We already kissed, so… no need to do it in front of the whole student body anymore.” She blurted out.

He remained silent giving her a disapproving look, watching as she tried to excuse herself: “I-I mean, we’ve achieved our goal, right? We kissed, people know we kiss. We are officially perceived as a kissing couple. Goal achieved. No more kissing required. End of kissing talk.” She ended her rambling taking a deep breath and waited for his reaction.

Without a word, he walked over to her and she instinctively stepped back until the back of her legs hit the edge of a desk and he was able to close the distance between them. He towered over her as he questioned in a low voice, a smirk on his lips: “Why does the thought of kissing me make you so nervous?”

She froze for a split second, before jumping up and awkwardly slipping away from him to quickly put the table between them.

“Nervous? I’m not nervous.” She tried to sound as sure of herself as possible, but failed as her voice came out in a squeak.

“Just admit it.” He said plainly, leaning over on the desk.

Buffy immediately stepped back.

“Admit what?”

“That you’ve got the hots for me, pet. It’s only natural.”

“Ha! You’re funny!” She chuckled, but the uneasiness was still clear in her voice.

Spike remained in place, just smirking at her.

“Stop that!” She protested.

“Stop what?”

“That grinning thing. It’s disconcerting.”

“Oh! A big word!” He mocked widening his eyes while she narrowed hers.

She stood up straight, crossing her arms around over her chest.

“What do you want?” She grumbled.

“Why are you afraid to kiss me?” He finally asked seriously.

“I’m not afraid, just disgusted.” She retorted.

“Come on, Buffy…” He sighed audibly plopping onto a nearby desk.

“Oh, fine, let’s do it.” She said crossing the room and sitting on the table opposite to him, her eyes closed as she pushed her lips together.

She waited and nothing. Finally, she opened her left eye to find Spike shaking his head at her.

“What?” She asked bringing her shoulders together.

“You…” He started pointing at her, before turning his finger on himself. “Kiss me.”



Chapter 15:



Buffy’s eyes widened at his short statement.

“What?!” She exclaimed as her legs dangled off the desk.

“You heard me, Summers.” He gave her a cocky smile and his scarred eyebrow rose up high on his forehead.

She was about to protest, her mouth opening and closing a couple of times as a frown settled on her forehead, but soon realised it was no use.

“Fine. Let’s get this over with.” She exhaled sharply as she jumped off the table and closed the distance between them.

“It’s so nice to feel wanted.” He said with a sardonic tone, which earned him a forced smile from the blonde teen that now stood in front of him.

A moment of silence filtered between the two of them and Buffy took in a deep breath, closing her eyes and pausing before opening them again. She slowly moved in, leaning into the bleached teen who still sat on one of the desks when suddenly, she backed away.

“What?!” The bleached teen gasped, with a frown as he watched her walking around in circles.

“Still haven’t gotten over the ‘yuck’ factor.” She mumbled as she stopped to face him.

He simply looked at her with an annoyed expression plastered on his face.

“Take your time, Betty.” He grumbled, emphasizing the last word.

In a flash, she was standing in front of him, cheeks flushed and anger flashing in her green eyes.

“It’s Buffy! How many times do I have to tell you? Buffy, Buffy, Buffy!” She almost screamed. “God! You know, I don’t know why I’m doing this.” She waved her hands in the air as she started rambling. “I don’t think seeing Angel grovel at my feet is worth all the effort. You’re just so… so…” She struggled to find the right word.

“Sexy?” He offered with a grin.

“Grrrrrr…” She growled in his face. “I hate you.” She said between clenched teeth.

“Ditto.” Spike answered with a plastic smile.

Once again, she sighed audibly as she frantically struggled with her hair, pulling it away from her face and curling it behind her ears. She shook her arms at her side as if preparing for a race. Spike simply smiled. Closing her eyes once more and inhaling sharply she tried to calm herself. After a few moments of silence she was able to do so. Her eyelids fluttered open and she looked down on him for a few seconds before quickly running her tongue over her lips to moisten them and leaned in. She could feel her heart slamming violently against her ribcage, her knees threatening to buckle from under her, the palms of her hands soaked as she tilted her head sideways and closed her eyes. Her mouth barely brushed over his bottom lip, for a first innocent contact. She pulled away, just a bit, to breathe in before she returned to her task. This time, she parted her lips, taking his lower one between hers, pulling lightly at it as the kiss built up.

He remained frozen, his arms at his sides, partially supporting his weight on the desk, while she kissed him. He let out a deep groan as she sucked his lower lip into her mouth as if wanting to devour it and instinctively wrapped his arms around her, gruffly pulling her towards him until she was between his legs, her arms crushed against his chest. His left hand slowly made its way from her lower back to the crook of her neck, cupping her face to deepen the kiss.

Buffy’s heart skipped a beat when she felt his tongue gliding over her mouth, as if asking permission to enter. Before she could even process the information, she was parting her lips, letting him in. A moan escaped her as they fought for dominance and the kiss intensified.

They pushed and tugged at each other’s clothes as teeth and hands came into play. Buffy’s fingers curled around the collar of his shirt, bringing him closer to her while she leaned into him. They battled away and light moans occasionally filled the empty and silent classroom. Eventually, as lack of oxygen started to become an issue, Spike was forced to pull away from her. He looked at her from under hooded and dazed eyes, his forehead resting on hers as he tried to speak coherently:

“Think you’re…” gasp “Over…” pant “the ‘yuck factor’?” He managed to ask her between gasps, his gaze alternating between her eyes and her swollen lips.

“Not sure…” She inhaled sharply closing her eyelids, trying hard to control her breathing before uttering: “Better make sure.”

“Better safe than sorry…”

Buffy nodded in agreement as his hand hungrily snaked under her ear to pull her toward him for another kiss.

She had time for a short breath before he once more crushed her lips with his; his tongue slipping inside of her mouth with ravenous urgency. His hands slid down to her thighs, hooking under them and pulling her skywards as he stood up; her legs instinctively wrapping themselves around his waist.

Buffy was so lost, she didn’t even notice she was being carried across the classroom and set on a hard surface. She partially opened her eyes to quickly glance down and realised she was sitting on the teacher’s desk with Spike nestled between her legs. She let out a deep groan as he nibbled his way across her jaw, towards the sensitive spot just below her earlobe.

Spike inhaled sharply and buried his nose in her turtleneck sweater for a second as her scent surround her him. The sound of her gasping sent chills down his spine and his grip on her thighs tightened as his tongue caressed the tender skin of her neck.

Suddenly, a sharp, high-pitched sound pierced through their combined haze.

“Wha…” Buffy tried to ask, but it seemed impossible.

“Hum…” She heard him moan as his mouth glided across her chin to reach her lips once more.

“Sp-“ She wasn’t able to finish the word as he kissed her once again. “Spike…” She gasped when she had a chance. “The…” kiss “Hum…” kiss “The… ah…” She gave up and leaned in to deepen the kiss.

Once again, their moans and gasps filled the room and they were lost in a blinding haze when, suddenly, loud, gossiping voices broke the stillness. The noise lasted for a few moments before coming to an abrupt halt. Buffy opened her eyes for a split second and they grew wide when she saw the door to the classroom wide open and a crowd of teens standing dumbstruck at the threshold. It took a while for her to recognize them but, eventually, she did. The short, gawking boy, whose hand still rested on the doorknob, was Jonathan, the teen next to him Andrew. The girl, who was still too shocked to close her mouth, was Harmony and the black clad figure right behind her? Who could it be, if not – Dru!

Buffy froze, wide eyed, staring back at the mini-crowd gathered at the door. She was still too flabbergasted to realise a certain bleached teen was still nibbling at her ear.

“Spike!” She called out, pulling at his duster.

There was no answer besides a deep groan.

“Why are you guys standing there like a bunch of idiots?” Angel’s voice hovered into the room as he made his way through the crowd. “Dru, honey, what going-“ He stopped in mid sentence as he witnessed the same spectacle as the others.

“Spike!!!” Buffy screamed pushing him away with such strength that the Brit stumbled backwards and only didn’t fall flat on the floor thanks to a desk behind him.

“Wha’?” He asked with a husky voice.

There was no need for Buffy to answer his question as he soon turned to see the group of teens standing at the door.

“Oh…” He managed to say; his gaze flying from the crowd to the flushed blonde still sitting on the desk.

“I… We… I and- I” Buffy struggled with the words, trying to find an explanation for the event. “I…” She tried once more, but was unsuccessful.

Her heart raced as everyone eyed her. She felt exposed, dirty. God, she felt… She had to get out of there. In a flash, she jumped off the table and was running out the door, pushing her way trough the teens, trying hard to ignore the look on everyone’s faces.

Spike was left behind, being now the centre of attentions. In complete silence, he stood up straight, shoved his hands into his pockets and started to leave the room when a strong hand gripped his arm. He turned around to see a seriously pissed off quarterback staring down at him. Angel was about to say something when Dru leaned into him and whispered something into his ear. The dark-haired teen remained still for a few seconds, pondering what to do.

“Got something to say, mate?” Spiked asked between clenched teeth.

Without a word, Angel let go of his arm and the bleached Brit stormed away while the small crown started to disband.


~+~


“Buffy!” He shouted as he watched her run down the hall.

Her response was to increase her speed as she opened the main door and exited the building.

“Buffy, stop! Buffy!” He yelled after her.

She didn’t answer, just continued to jog her way down the street.

“Buffy! We need to… talk!” He began coughing as he was almost catching up with her when she suddenly stopped dead in her track and faced him with a murderess look on her face.

“What?!” She snapped while she watched the bleached teen bend down and rest his hands on his knees as he gasped and panted violently.

“I-“ cough “Why are you running?’”

“Why?!” She yelled. “Did you see their faces? Did you?”

“Yeah! I thought that was the point!” He said between gaps as he stood up straight, his hand resting on his stomach.

“The point?” She practically screamed.

“Yeah! Make them believe that we’re together.”

“And that I’m some kind of kinky slut that likes doing it on the teacher’s desk.” She shouted.

“Come on. They’re not going to think-“

She cut him off:

“Of course they are!” She howled. “I mean, everyone was there! By now the whole school knows!”

“You’re exaggerating, luv. There were just a half a dozen kids there.”

“Half a dozen? Did you even see who was there? Every group in that stupid high school had a representative there. The nerds, the fashionably, bubbled-gum-brained cheerleaders, the jocks… God, even Dru was there to represent the freaky black-clad outcasts. But that’s what you wanted, wasn’t it?”

“What?!” He asked confused as the blonde teen continued to scream off the top of her lungs.

“You probably planned the whole thing. God! How could I be so stupid?” She gasped as she brought her hand to her forehead. “You planned the whole thing! God! I hate you, so much, I-”

“Ok.” Spike decided to step in. “First of all - will you stop shouting for a bloody second, woman? I think you’ve just pierced my eardrum.” He protested, sticking his finger into his ear as he cringed. “And second, how the hell would I plan the whole thing? I didn’t even know you weren’t going to eat at the cafeteria.” He pointed out, but she was so enraged, she couldn’t even see straight.

“I know you did. Just admit it and I won’t have to kill you; just cause you enough physical harm that will leave you paralysed from the neck down.” She threatened with a flame in her eyes.

“Buffy, listen to yourself. I could have never done that. Even if I was *that* much of a prick, I wouldn’t be able to do it.” He tried to explain when she whirled around and started to walk away. “Buffy…” He breathed as he walked after her, but she came to a halt once again.

“Don’t come anywhere near me, ever again.” She hissed between clenched teeth and walked away.


~+~


Buffy entered the house and, without a word, stormed up the staircase and entered her bedroom. Slamming the door behind her, she flung herself on the bed. In a few moments, a light knock on the door was heard.

“Honey…?” Mrs. Summer’s soft voice filled the room as she entered it. “Are you ok? What are you doing home so early?” She questioned as she came closer to the bed and realised her daughter was crying. “Oh, honey, what happened? Buffy…”

“It’s ok, mom. I just wasn’t feeling so good so I came home.” Buffy quickly answered as she sat up straight and hastily wiped the tears from her flushed face.

Mrs. Summer’s looked at her from under a frown.

“It’s true, I’m fine. I just have this horrible headache.” Buffy lied rather convincingly.

“I knew you were coming down with something.” The older woman exhaled sharply as she rested her hand on her daughter’s forehead. “You’re kinda warm.”

“I’m fine, mom. I’m fine.” The teen insisted, running her hands across her face and pulling the rebellious strands of her hair behind her ears as she leaned on the headboard of the bed.

“Are you sure? I don’t want you to catch something.”

Buffy nodded with a weak smile and Mrs. Summer’s stood up and walked over to the door.

“Well, I’ll get you an aspirin and some vitamins, just to make sure. Do you want some hot-cocoa?” She offered as she stood at the threshold.

“That’d be great, mom.”

The moment the door was closed Buffy slammed her head against the headboard as she let out an audible sigh. She ran her fingers over her face as she contemplated what had happened only half an hour ago. ‘God, how could I be so stupid! Stupid, stupid, stupid! Now everyone in school’s gonna think I’m a slut that does it on the teacher’s desk.” She let out a deep groan, closing her eyes and trying to erase the thought from her mind. ‘Stupid, stupid, stupid!’ she continued to insult herself in her mind.

“It’s all *his* fault!” She finally said between clenched teeth. “God, I hate him soooo much! I’m gonna kill that bleached idiot! Kill, kill, kill…” She continued as the anger built up inside of her. “You kiss me.” She said with a mocking tone. “I’ll give him the ‘you kiss me’. Grrr….”

She slumped down on her bed and curled herself into the foetal position as she stared out the window. Soon, the screeching sound of a door opening was heard and light footsteps followed.

“Thanks, mom.” Buffy started as she turned around. “I don’t know- Spike!” She exclaimed as she saw the bleached teen standing by her bed holding a tray. “Get out!” she immediately hissed.

“Now, luv don’t want to-“

“I don’t want to hear it. Put the tray down and get out!” She raised her voice slightly.

He obeyed to the first part of the command, setting the tray on the nightstand, but ignored the second.

“Are you hard of hearing?”

“I’m not leaving until you tell me why you’re acting this way.” He replied in a low, calm voice that made her nerves act up.

“Because… I… Hum…” She struggled for an explanation and finally hissed: “Cause the entire school thinks I’m a ho and it’s all you’re fault.”

“My fault? How is it my fault?” he asked defensively.

“You were the one who caused it. You with you’re ‘You kiss me’ speech.” The last sentence was said with a high-pitched semi-whining tone.

“No one forced you to do anything, luv. Actually, as far as I can remember you seemed more than willing.” He replied with a mocking tone, but the partial grin on his face soon crumbled as he saw the rage flare up in her green eyes. “Look, so they saw us snogging, it’s not like the entire world is going to fall apart.”

“You just don’t get it, do you? People will-“

“Will what?” He interrupted her. “We weren’t doing anything wrong!” He sighed audibly.

Buffy remained still, trying to find a reason for her rage, but couldn’t find any. He was right; there wasn’t anything wrong with what they had done. Sure it bordered on the kinky, but so what? They were teenagers; they were supposed to do dumb things.

“Luv, just calm down and-“

“Don’t call me that.” She warned him.

“Sorry.” He apologized sincerely.

They exchanged a look of truce and silence filtered between them. Finally, Buffy spoke:

“Did you see the look on Angel’s face?” She said with half a smirk.

“Yeah, the wanker looked like he was about to have a fit.” Spike replied with a grin of his own as Buffy’s smile grew.

“I never knew a person could turn that green.” She chuckled as she started to relax.

“Did you see Dru? Man, she looked like she as about to pop with envy.” He laughed out loud.

Something about the way he said it, maybe the sparkle in his eye as he spoke her name, made the subject a lot less funny to her. But, she ignored the sinking feeling in her stomach and continued in a low voice:

“Guess, the plan is working, huh?”

Spike’s smile seemed to dim at her question: “I guess.”

“Who would have thought they would fall for it?”

“Yeah…” Spike breathed as the tension between them grew.

“Well… I guess you’ll have Dru with you in no time.”

“Yeah.” He paused for a second and swallowed hard before forcing the words out. “And you’ll have Angel.”

“My own personal slave.” She said with a mocking tone and a smile. “Let the good times roll.”

Spike simply smiled, shoving his hands into his pockets. After a few moments of silence he finally decided to speak:

“Hum… Summers?”

Buffy looked at him as his gaze travelled from the floor to meet hers.

“Are you still…” He paused, waiting for her to answer, but it was clear she didn’t understand the incomplete question. “Are you still… in love with him?”

Buffy frowned a bit and tilted her head, but didn’t answer.

“Hum… I’m sorry; I shouldn’t be asking this, I’ll just be going.” He spoke quickly and awkwardly as he headed for the door. “You’re mom’s probably going to worry about you having a boy in your room all this time and-“

“She thinks you’re gay, Spike.” She said with a devilish grin.

“Don’t remind me.” He grunted as he turned the knob and prepared to leave when Buffy spoke:

“Hum… Spike?”

“Yeah, luv?”

“Me and the guys are going to the Bronze on Friday. Wanna come with?” There was a hint of insecurity in her tone and when he didn’t answer immediately she quickly added: “Totally on a ‘make Dru and Angel face the green-eyed monster’ basis, of course.” He remained silent. “Dru will probably be there… would be fun to see if she pops this time.” She continued with a weak smile. “Or maybe not, it’s your-“

“I’ll be there, Summers.” He interrupted her with a low, calm voice.

“Oh…” She breathed. “Good.” She said shoving her hands into the back pockets of her jeans as her feet fumbled with the edge of the carpet.

“See you tomorrow, Betty.”

“See you tomorrow, William.”

She watched as the bleached hair disappeared behind the closing door and held her breath. A sharp ringing tone snapped her out of her thoughts.

“Hello?” She asked as she picked up the phone.

“Buffy?”

“Hey, Willow!”

“Are you ok?” An extremely anxious and nervous redhead questioned from the other side of the line. “I mean people are talking that you and Spike were doing the nasty on Mr. Gulliver’s desk. Is that true? What happened? Are you ok? Did Spike do something-“

“Willow, Willow. Slow down. Breathe. That’s it. Inhale… exhale… inhale… exhale.” Buffy coached. “And no, I wasn’t’ doing the *nasty* with Spike. We were just… you know…”

“No, I don’t. That’s why I’m calling. Oh, and by the way, Xander had a heart attack when Harmony told him that she had walked in on you and Spike stark naked in-“

“What?! God, I’m gonna kill that bleached airhead.” Buffy grumbled between clenched teeth. “I wasn’t doing anything. We were just kissing, Willow. That’s all.”

“A-are you sure?” Willow hesitated.

“I’m pretty sure. I mean, I *was* there and all, you know?” Buffy replied sarcastically.

“So-sorry, I-I didn’t mean to-“

“It’s ok, Wills. No need to go on stutter mode.”

“So, you’re ok then? I was just worried about you. You left school and didn’t say a thing, I thought…”

“Nothing bad happened. I promise. I was just a bit… embarrassed out of my mind! Couldn’t really take the whole Gestapo-like inquiring and gawking.”

“I understand. Will you come to school tomorrow?”

“Yes, don’t worry. Ok?”

“Ok. Bye.”

“Bye, Willow.”