hi everyone, would have updated sooner but I was going through a faze where I was all ‘oh, Buffy’s gone to Paris. What now?’ but I got it all figured out now! Oh yeah, there’s a little bit of French in this chapter. I don’t speak French and I’m using a translator for all of this so all of you who can speak French, please be lenient with me! And finally, I know you all want me to just shut up but I have one more thing to say, thank you so much to my wonderful beta!
******

Spike rolled over in the bed with every intention of bringing Buffy with him. The other side of the bed was not only empty but cold. He sat up on his elbows, a look of confusion marring his face. She was no where in the room.

He then noticed the slightly crumpled piece of paper laying the pillow next to his. It was a foreboding little piece of paper.

He hesitantly reached over and grabbed it. When he read the first line his heart sunk.

I want you to know that I will always love you Spike which is one of the reason that I have to leave you.

“Buffy,” he muttered sadly before he read on.

I was accepted into art school in Paris. I know school doesn’t start for three months but you didn’t really expect me to stick around for the wedding did you? I’ve always wanted to spend the summer in Paris anyways. Of course I’d imagined it being with someone I love.

Spike couldn’t help but feel proud. His girl had done it. Of course this was soon followed by a sharp pang of sadness.

I wish I could tell you that my leaving had nothing to do with you, that this was solely for me but we both know that that would be a lie. I guess that I just want to take a step forward in life for once instead of two steps back. Maybe some day I’ll look back at all of this and finally see that this was for the better and I was saving us both. Right now all I can feel is heartbroken.

His heart clenched a little tighter at every word he read. The letter was coming to an end.

I know this sounds selfish of me but could you wait just a little while to get over me? I’m not asking for forever, just a few tears okay? I don’t want to be forgotten Spike because I know I can't forget you. I love you but I have to say goodbye.

She was really gone…

******

“Buffy!” Joyce called from downstairs. She was waiting for her daughters usual, ‘I’m up! I’m up! Get off my back!’

Today she got no answer.

“Buffy!” she called again, an edge to her voice this time.

When she got no answer again she sighed and stomped up the stairs. She knocked on Buffy’s door and got no answer. Finally after a few seconds she opened the door to find it empty.

Her heart almost skipped a beat when she saw that her closet was almost completely empty and many of her things were gone.

Turning on her heel, she rushed downstairs to the phone and dialed as number urgently.

“Hello?”

“Hank?! Is Buffy in LA with you?! Have you heard from her at all?!” it came out in a glob of panicked words that Hank could barely understand.

“Joyce,” he started slowly, “Buffy is spending her summer in Paris before she goes to school.” he paused before asking, “How could you have not of known? She was expected to art school over there.”

There was a long pause before Joyce admitted quietly, “She never told me. How could she have not told me Hank?!”

“Because maybe she thought you wouldn’t even care,” Dawn explained, her voice hard.

Joyce turned to look at her youngest, her arms folded across her chest and a venomous look on her face, “I have to go know Hank.” She didn’t even wait for a goodbye before she hung up and snapped at Dawn, “What is that supposed to mean young lady?!”

Dawn shrugged, “Well you’ve been so busy fawning over you precious Harmony and ignoring us that she figured that she could have won a Noble Price and an Oscar all in the same week and you wouldn’t have cared. Why should you have given a crap about her getting into art school right?”

“Dawn that’s not t…”

“Yes it is mom!” Dawn cut her short, “Face it! You’ve been a bad mom to your own real children since we’ve been here! Let me tell you some hard truths mom. Darling little Harmony isn't all that darling! She’s pregnant for god’s sake! I heard her tell her friend on the phone one night that it might not even be Spike’s! What do you think of that mom? Is she still so perfect!?”

Joyce stood, stunned as Dawn ranted on, “Buffy has done nothing but try! She went and she got a job and she started to support herself and now a few people have recognized just how amazing she is, bringing her a little bit of happiness and I won't let you make her come back to this hell hole.” Dawn wiped the tears from her eyes and shook her head, “Go find Harmony and go shopping for the baby then come home and make Patrick a nice home cooked dinner so you all can play happy family. I just wanna go live in LA with dad again.” And with that Dawn stomped up the stairs and slammed her door.

As she watched Dawn go all of the things that she’d set settled in.

Dawn wanting to leave wasn’t what hurt the most.

It was the fact that everything she’d said was true.

******

Buffy stared at the face of the Mona Lisa, enthralled.

The Louvre seemed to have that affect on her. Everything in it was enchanting and magical.

Here she was. She was in Paris, France to spend the summer before she went off to fulfill her dreams of becoming an artist.

Being here surrounded by all of these things made her forget about Spike. Only for a moment of course but that moment was enough for her. All of it was amazing, spectacular, dazzling, breathtaking, exciting, magnificent, splendid, glorious and the list could go on forever. Or should she say stupéfier, spectaculaire, brillant, stupéfiant, exciter, magnifique, splendide and glorieux?

Here in the Louvre with all of the spirits of the artists guarding their masterpieces she was safe from the outside world. No Spike, no Harmony, no Patrick, no Mom. It was just her and everything she aspired to be. It was somewhere she was safe and she never wanted to leave.

******

Buffy was in heaven for sure now. Here she was, lounging on a plush orange couch eating warm chocolate croissants with melted butter and sipping espresso. She’d just treated herself to a luxurious lavender silk camisole from this little custom shop and she’s stopped by The Dollhouse. It was still perfect.

Of course all of this was spoiled when steaming hot coffee was spilled into her lap.

“Oh my god!” a male with a clear American accent exclaimed, “I’m sorry!”

Don’t yell Buffy. Don’t yell Buffy. Don’t yell!

She clenched her teeth and nodded, “It’s…it’s okay.”

“Andrew!” came an angry sounding voice with a thick French accent, "c'est la troisième fois que vous avez renversé mon café sur un client!"

“I’m sorry!” Buffy finally got to look at him. Andrew, the spiller of coffee was a cute geeky little thing.

“I’m sorry!” he exclaimed, “I swear I’ll sacrifice a whole comic book break if you don’t fire me!”

Buffy sighed and said to the manager, “"vraiment monsieur, ce n'est pas une affaire. Veuillez ne pas lui mettre le feu sur mon compte. Je payerai même le café renversé."

The manger sighed back and nodded, “L'ok, le garçon garde son travail alors.”

With that, he turned and walked away shaking his head.

Andrew turned to her and gave her a large thankful smile, “Thank you! You are the best ever! You are the coolest chick in the world other than Carrie Fisher!”

Buffy shrugged, “Ah no prob.”

“No it’s not,” he smiled at her, “I owe you.”

Buffy bit her lip before replying, “Well then on your first day off I’m making you my personal tour-guide slave. I’m new in town.”

See and even though she had to have hot coffee poured onto her, she made a new friend!

******
I used everyone else and I didn’t want to have an original character so I decided to throw Andrew in there for all of you!