okay just a little heads up, before you all stone me to death after reading this chapter, I want to point out that there was ‘angst’ as a genre. I know you all aren't going to like where I’m taking the story with this chapter BUT I will not end a story with out a happy ending! And I don’t mean to let you all down but no, Spike is not going to Paris to find Buffy…
******

“You know,” Buffy turned to Andrew and smiled, “I wish I had been alive in the sixties. I would have been one of Jim Morrison’s groupies.”

They’d just left the Pere-Lachaise Cemetery. Buffy was in Paris and she had to pay her respects to the Lizard King.

Before this they’d gone and seen the Eiffel Tower in which Andrew and her had played around and taken silly pictures of each other next to and on it.

“Oh I can see it already,” Andrew laughed at her, “You’d want to paint pictures of his…”

“Hey!” Buffy cut him off, “So not true! My art is classy I’ll have you know!”

“If you say so Buffy…”

She scowled at him before laughing, “Okay, yeah, I would have wanted to.”

“It must be so exciting,” Andrew sighed happily, “Coming to spend a summer in Paris before you go and take that conventional art school and turn it upside down with your wild American girl ways.” He paused, his eyes wide, “And then you’ll meet a sexy struggling French artist that couldn’t afford to go to art school because his mother was banished from her high social standing when she fell in love with a commoner and you’ll fall deeply in love but then his ex-girlfriend Chantal who wants him back desperately or, or, or you’ll meet a devilishly handsome boy from an old money family and it will be love at first sight but his parents forbid him from seeing you because you are nothing but a ‘filthy American’ but he doesn’t care because he loves you so much it hurts. He’ll write you poems and draw sketches of you stretched out over fine silk sheets with nothing but his grandmother’s necklace that he stole and gave to you as declaration of his undying…”

“Andrew!” Buffy exclaimed, cutting him off, “Enough! It’s not gonna happen!”

He shrugged, “You never know.”

“Yes I know!” Buffy sighed, “I’m not going to fall in love here. I don’t intend to fall in love with anyone for a long time.”

He looked at her for a second before asking, “Oooh, you had your heartbroken in California before you fled here to Paris swearing that if you couldn’t have your love, you’d have your art! And then you meet the devilishly hand…!”

“Andrew!” she cried out, smacking him lightly in the arm, “No devilishly handsome French boys for me okay!?”

He smiled at her, “But I got the first part right didn’t I?”

Buffy looked down at her hands, “Sorta…”

******

A half hour latter, Buffy had Andrew’s eyes misty with tears.

He sniffled, wiping his nose on his sleeve, “And you left with a heart wrenching good bye letter? And the only thing you have to hold to of his is your sketch of him, your love, your soul mate, your alabaster god?”

Buffy shrugged sadly, “I wouldn’t go as far as ‘alabaster god’ Andrew. He’s going to go off and start a family with Harmony and they’re going to get a happily ever after. I guess I have to take it one step at a time.” A small smile lit up her face when she saw the ratty, torn flyer taped to the door of The Dollhouse, “And I think a step in the right direction would be to dance, dance, and dance some more!”

“Buffy I don’t dance,” Andrew warned, “It’s not pretty!”

Buffy smiled at him widely, “To bad! We’re going dancin’!”

******

“Where’s Buffy tonight?” Patrick asked as he took a bite of the roast Joyce had made.

Joyce looked down at her plate before back up at Patrick and saying calmly, “In Paris. She’s spending the summer in France before she starts art school.”

Patrick looked back her stunned, “You can't be serious.”

“I’m completely serious,” Joyce replied, her voice still in a calm, monotone, “I went to get her this morning only to find her room almost empty. I called Hank and he informed me that our daughter was accepted into art school and left the country not even 24 hours ago.”

“Why wouldn’t she tell you? Us?”

Joyce set her fork down, “Well according to Dawn, Buffy assumed that I wouldn’t care because I was to busy fawning over Harmony.”

“That’s ludicrous!” he exclaimed.

She shook her head and sighed miserably, “No it’s not Patrick. It’s completely true. Yes I would have been proud of her but I wouldn’t have made it the big deal it is. My baby got into one of the most exclusive schools in the world and I would have been too worried about the activities at Harmony’s baby-shower!”

“Joyce…” he tried to console her but it was no use.

“You're throwing me a baby shower!” came Harmony’s shrill voice from the dining room doorway, “Oh that’s so sweet…mom!”

The sound of Harmony calling her mom was almost enough to make the tears brewing in her eyes fall and they were not of happiness.

She’d tried so hard to get Harmony to accept her, she’d forgotten all about her own daughters.

It was plain and simple, she was a horrible mother.

Joyce turned to Harmony and forced of smile, “Of course I am dear.”

“Ooh! We’ll have to have a bridal shower for me too!” Harmony went on, a happy smile on her face and her hands on stomach that was starting to show, “I’m getting married to my Blondie Bear and we’ll go on to start our perfect little family! It’s just all so exciting!”

I heard her tell her friend on the phone one night that it might not even be Spike’s!, Dawn’s words echoed in her head.

She forced another smile and nodded, “I know you will.”

“Well,” she smiled, “I’m going to go find my Spiky. You two have a nice romantic dinner to yourselves!”

“Okay honey,” Patrick smiled back at her, “I know you and William are going to be happy together. Have fun.”

“Kay’,” she planned a kiss on his cheek, “Bye daddy!”

And with that, she was out of the dinning room and out the door.

“It’s not your fault Joyce,” Patrick sighed, “You were just trying to be a good stepmom to Harmony and you are. She called you mom if you didn’t notice.”

Joyce looked away and nodded, “I guess so.”

Yes, she’d learned to love Harmony but for some reason with Buffy gone and Dawn leaving, the sound of Harmony calling her mom felt horribly wrong.

******

The sound of the Stereophonics pounded out of the speakers, making Buffy’s body pulsate.

You didn’t need any liquor to feel completely drunk.

Bodies moved against hers but she ignored them. She was so totally lost in the beat.

There was nothing for her to worry about right now. It was just her and Andrew, her new geeky best friend. Why could she have just never met Spike? Everything would be perfect at this moment if she’d just never met goddamn Spike.

“You having fun?” Buffy laughed loudly to Andrew as he did something that resembled the funky chicken.

He smiled at her before exclaiming, “The best time! I thought I’d stay home and watch…”

“Don’t even say it Andrew,” Buffy warned jokingly. She’d heard enough about Star Wars. She was set for a life time.

“I’m gonna go to the bathroom!” he yelled over the music and Buffy nodded, watching him disappear into the crowd.

She started to sway to the music again, getting lost once again. It was a rather nice feeling.

“Buffy?!”

She whipped around and her jaw dropped, “Ohmigod! Angel! What the hell are you doing here!?”

He laughed and started to dance closely to her, “My dad’s here on a business trip, he took me with. I’m here for the whole summer.”

Buffy smiled and turned to him, wrapping her arms sinuously around his neck, “Really now? Me too.” She leaned close and whispered into his ear, “And then some.”

The heat and the low, growling voice of the singer was going to her head. The atmosphere was thick and enthralling.

He placed his hands on her hips and pulled her even closer. She ground herself into his pelvis and whispered breathlessly, “Take me away…”

******
*dodges all sharp objects being thrown at me*