hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in reading an original fic of mine before I post it at fictionpress so I can get some constructive criticism on it cuz I’m not sure that I’m completely happy with it. Just email me and I’ll send it to u!
******

“Hi mom!”

Buffy shook her head before taking a deep breath and trying again, “Hey mom, who’s it going? You're lookin’ good since the last time I’ve seen you, six months ago before I left for another country without telling you!”

No that was no good either.

“Buffy?” Andrew asked from the other side of the door.

She was in the bathroom of the hotel room they were staying at.

“Yeah?”

“Are you okay?” Andrew’s voice was worried which made Buffy smile. The little geek really did care about her.

“Yeah, I’m coming out now,” she took another deep breath and looked at herself in the mirror for one last time before exiting the bathroom.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to come with you?” he asked with a pout that put her’s to shame.

“Yes. I’ll swing back here and pick you up when I go to my mom’s. I have to go talk to this lawyer about Milly’s will.”

She really didn’t want to do either. They were both going to be rather painful and excruciating but she would just have to deal because they both had to be done.

“Well good luck,” he smiled at her, giving her a small hug.

Buffy nodded, giving him a look as though they were sending her to hang before she was out the door.

******

Buffy bit her lip and tapped her foot nervously as Mr. Lawyer Man (she hadn't bothered to remember his name for the simple fact that he reminded her of a Weasel a little too much) looked over some papers. It’s not that Buffy had anything against lawyers; she just didn’t like this particular one. He kept leering at her legs and that was so not cool.

He looked up from the papers at her, “Mildred never had any children and her spouse is long deceased which I’m sure you’re aware of. Before her death, she sold her diner to one of her long time employees for a rather nice sum of money. On top of that, she left you with all of her life savings.”

Buffy raised an eyebrow, “What are you getting at here?”

He gave her a slight smile, “She left you with everything. A total sum of a little over a million dollars.”

Now Buffy hadn't grown up exactly poor. Her father’s job had had them leading a nice cushy upper middle class life style but she’d never once pictured herself a millionaire. Wow!

She mentally scolded herself at those thoughts. She was supposed to be grieving. Someone who she loved dearly had passed away. She could be thankful but not happy. Though Milly had always just wanted her to be happy…

******

“So guess what Andrew?” Buffy asked conversationally as she entered the hotel room. Andrew was on one of the beds watching Alien Vs. Predator on pay per view.

He didn’t bother to look at her, his eyes still glued to the screen, “I’m a millionaire.”

He still didn’t look at her. He just muttered, “That’s nice.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. Fine, he was so paying for the movie then.

She patiently sat down next to him on the bed and turned her attention to the movie. She loved Andrew but this Sci-Fi shit was weird.

A few seconds pasted before his head snapped up and he look at her with wide eyes, “What?!”

“Shhh,” Buffy put a finger to her mouth and shushed him, “I’m watching the movie…”

“Buffy!” he whined.

She laughed at him and explained, “Well when I said she left me everything, I meant everything. When we get home we are so moving out of that rat trap.”

He nodded in agreement before giving her a big smile, “When are you going to tell your mom?”

She wasn’t fond of his pure evilness either.

******

He’d storm in there, demand her to tell him the truth and be free of this all. That’s what he was going to do. And when she told him that it wasn’t his child, it was going to be the most liberating moment of his life. Then and only then, after he wad rid of Harmony he was going to go to bloody France, get Buffy and take her home even if he had to do it with her kicking and screaming.

“Spike?”

His breath caught in his throat at the voice. He turned around slowly, almost hoping it was a figment of his imagination.

It wasn’t.

The last thing she’d expected to find when she’d arrived at her mother’s was Spike pacing on the porch.

Life was one big cosmic joke, she was sure of it.

As much as she’d like to tell herself that she was over it and he was thing of her past, which she tended to do a lot, it just wasn’t working at the moment.

The need to jump into his arms and kiss him passionately like a scene out of some bad movie or Andrew’s over active imagination was ridiculously strong.

“Uh hi…” Buffy smiled at him awkwardly, “Long time no see.”

Spike felt anger rise in his throat, “Long time no see?! Long time no see?! Bloody fucking hell Buffy! You left me…”

Just then the front door swung open and Joyce stepped out, “I heard yelling and...Buffy.”

“Mom,” Buffy nodded at her. On the outside she looked calm but on the inside her heart was beating rapidly, tears from missing the people in front of her and anger for the very same people rising but she wouldn’t let it show.

“Hi Mrs. Kendal,” Andrew said cheerfully, trying to lighten the obviously heavy mood.

Spike glared at him, forgetting about Joyce for a second, “Who are you?”

God if Buffy had brought back her fucking pounce ex with her…

Andrew just kept smiling, “Andrew.”

Buffy nodded happily, “Yup, this is Andrew, my new bestest friend. It all started when he poured steaming hot espresso into my lap and the rest is history.”

“Well come in,” Joyce nodded towards the door, “We can talk.”

Buffy took a deep breath before entering the house. Every time she entered this house she was sure it wasn’t her home and it was never meant to be. That feeling was especially strong at the moment.

Buffy and Andrew took a seat on the couch, Spike sitting down tensely in the chair in the corner and Joyce sat calmly in the other.

“So…” she started, “What brings you back to Sunnydale?”

Buffy looked down at her hands, sadness flashing in her eyes, “Milly died. I’m back here for the funeral and well I had to talk to her lawyer about her will.”

“I’m sorry Buffy,” Joyce said softly, “I know you two were close.”

Buffy’s head shot up before she said sharply, “No you didn’t.”

“That’s not t…”

Buffy shook her head and laughed bitterly, “No you didn’t! You knew she was my boss and that’s it. You didn’t care enough to ask.”

Joyce looked to Andrew and then Spike, “Could you two please leave us for a moment?”

Both men gladly left the room to leave the two to talk.

They both sat there in a heavy, uneasy silence before Joyce spoke, “I’m sorry.”

Buffy’s head shot up once again, “For what?”

A few beats passed before Joyce replied, “Everything.” She paused before continuing, “I’m so proud of you, you know. You're making all of your dreams come true and I’m so, so, proud of you Buffy.”

Buffy almost couldn’t believe what she was hearing, “You don’t have to apologize. You were trying to be a good step-mom to Harmony. You just ended up skimping on your actual daughters.”

“Why didn’t you tell me you were leaving?” her mom asked, “Did you really think that I wouldn’t care? Did I honestly make you think that?”

“Yeah,” Buffy nodded, laughing sadly, “You did.”

Before she knew that was happening, Buffy was pulled into her mother’s arms and hugged tightly, “I’m so sorry baby. I love you and I’m so proud of you and I never want you to doubt either of those things.”

Buffy nodded against Joyce’s neck, “I missed you mommy.”

Joyce pulled away and smiled, “Tell me all about Paris and school and who is this Andrew exactly?”

Buffy smiled, sitting down on the couch, her mother following and she started to tell her everything that had happened over the past six months.

Her mother had been easier than she’d thought.

Next she had to face Spike and that was a WHOLE different story.