“Buffy where have you been all day?” her mother demanded the second she came through the front door.

Buffy blinked at her mother before replying, “I got a job.”

“You got a job?” her mother asked, slightly stunned.

Buffy nodded, “I got a job.”

“Well where?” her mother’s hands were now on her hips.

“Milly’s Diner, I thought I was gonna get fired but Milly likes me to much,” Buffy replied with a shrug, starting upstairs.

“Well, you must be hungry,” Joyce sighed, “Come eat dinner.”

“I already ate,” Buffy replied, not even bothering to look back at her mother. If her mother was going to side with Harmony on everything then Harmony could be her daughter. She’d always have her dad.

“Are you s…” Joyce never got to finish her question, Buffy had already disappeared up the stairs and down the hall.

******

Buffy threw the dish towel in her hand down on the counter and let out a long tired sigh and closed her eyes.

“Long day baby?” Milly asked, sitting down at the counter next to where Buffy was leaning..

Buffy opened her eyes and smiled, “Do you ever go home?”

Milly smiled back, “No.” She then looked around the empty diner and then back to Buffy, “If you wanna go it’s fine sug. This place is practically empty.”

Buffy shook her head and rested her elbows on the counter, “I don’t want to go home just yet.” She paused before going on, “So I’ve worked here for a little over a week now and I’ve yet to figure out. What is the legend of Ms. Milly May McCormick?”

Milly smiled, “No legend here honey. I’m just Milly. I don’t got no story.”

“And for some reason I doubt that majorly,” Buffy replied, “Come on, your secrets will be safe with me, I promise.”

Milly sighed before saying, “Well then Buffy, get comfortable cause’ this is quite a long story.”

Buffy adjusted herself in her seat and leaned in as Milly started to tell her tale…

Mildred May Addison stood mesmerized as she stared at the movie set in front of her. She had landed her first movie roll that she hoped would launch her from starlet to star. The year was 1953 and she was eighteen years old. She was ready to be something. All she’d ever wanted was to be something. Not a little farm girl from South Carolina but a somebody, a star. She wanted her name in lights and she’d have them. She was sure of it.

“Miss?” Milly turned around to see the most handsome boy she’d ever seen in her life standing there, watching her carefully, “Miss?”

Milly shook her head, her beautiful, thick golden curls shaking with it, “I’m sorry. Yes?”

“I’m Charlie McCormick, the writer of the movie,” he introduced himself, “Are you Mildred Addison?”

Milly nodded, a small smile tugging the corners of her mouth, “Call my Milly please and yes I am.” She paused before asking, “You really wrote all those beautiful words?”

He nodded, rubbing the back of his head with a slightly embarrassed look running across him face, “Yeah. I’ve always been good with words and all.” He looked up at her and smiled, “I heard that you're a real good actress. Peter says you're gonna be a star after this.”

A slow blush spread across Milly’s cheeks, “Well thank you ever so much Charlie. I really do hope so? You ain’t just saying that are you?”

Charlie shook his head, “No, I think you're gonna be a big star Milly May Addison.”

Milly looked up shyly to see him staring down at her intently. Their eyes locked and just like that, it was love.


“Aww!” Buffy exclaimed, a sappy smile on her lips, “That’s so romantic! You were just a beautiful little starlet and he was a young up and coming screen play writer that experience love at first sight right on set!”

Buffy could have sworn Milly blushed at this, “Well now, I wouldn’t call it love at first sight now…”

“Then do tell me Mills, when did you fall for Charlie?” Buffy raised an inquiring eyebrow.

“Well ok, maybe it was love at first sight…”

And with that Milly started to tell her tale again.

”Will you be mine Milly May?” Charlie panted out between kisses.

They where in the backseat of Charlie’s new 1952 red T-Bird and Milly was in total bliss.

“Wha?” she asked, a slightly delirious edge to her voice.

Charlie pulled away and looked into her eyes, “I asked you if you’d be mine.”

Milly’s eyes grew wide for a second before she looked away, “I thought I already was. You don’t mean…” she trailed off for a second before shaking her head and saying, “cause’ Charlie, I’m not ready for that…”

“Marry me.”


“Ohmygod!” Buffy gushed, her eyes wide and sparkling, “He just asked you to marry him after only a week for knowing you?”

Milly nodded with a small wistful smile, “Yes he did. Now will you quite interruptin’?”

“Sorry,” Buffy replied before smiling, “So, what’d ya say?”

”Are you serious Charlie McCormick cause’ you do not ask a girl to marry you and not mean it do you hear me!” Milly exclaimed, still disbelieving.

Charlie grabbed her hand and gave it a squeeze, “I’m dead serious Milly…I love you.”

An uneasy silence settled in the car before Milly laughed, “Then of course I’ll marry you! I love you too!”

“Then lets go!” he insisted, “Lets go get hitched right now!”

“Right now?” Milly questioned, “Charlie I think that you really have gone insane! We can't get married right now!”

“Why not?” he shook his head, “I don’t wanna wait another second Mills. I want you as my wife now.”

“Okay then, let’s go get ourselves hitched!”


“So then what happened?” Buffy asked anxiously, “Come on Mills don’t leave my hanging!”

“Well then,” Milly shook her head, “We got married. That day was one of the best days of my life darling. I miss my Charlie so much.”

The sad, longing look that flashed across Milly’s features for just a moment didn’t go unnoticed but Buffy decided not to say anything.

“Know now sug, this story doesn’t have a Hollywood ending,” Milly warned her, “I wish it did but things just don’t work like that in the real world. I guess me and Charlie were to caught up in the moment, the warm glowing rapture of love and LA magic but then the magic ended and I was left with the harsh light of real life.”

Milly May Addison. No, scratch that, she was Milly May McCormick, Mrs. Charles McCormick. Oh she loved the sound of that just so much!

They’d gone to a small little chapel on the outskirts of LA and took their vows. Now they were forever. For once in her life she was just so overwhelmed with love and she wouldn’t have had it any other way.

Charlie burst out of the chapel doors, laughing and pulling Milly with him.

“We did it Mrs. McCormick! We’re married!”

“Yes we are Mr. McCormick. God I love you!”

He went around and opened the car door for Milly, helping in his bride before jogging around to the other side of the car. He slid in, turned on the ignition and they were off into the sunset to live happily ever after…

“Charlie!” Milly’s scream and a blinding white light was the last thing he saw before Charles McCormick was killed in a car crash on the night of his wedding.


Buffy had tears in her eyes as Milly finished her story, “I’m sorry. That is so unbelievably unfair. He died on your wedding night.”

Milly looked down at the counter, “I don’t regret marrying Charlie. I never will. Just like how I will never love another man. I lived a happy life Buffy, I really did. It was hard at first but I made it. I gave up my role in the movie, moved to Sunnydale and got a job here, way back when, when this place was just The Diner and I was just a waitress like you.” She paused before pulling out an old, slightly crumpled photo from her apron pocket and handed it to Buffy.

Buffy stared down at the photo with a small smile. It was a picture of Milly and Charlie and they looked so in love it could have warmed the even the coldest heart by just looking at it.

She couldn’t help but notice that Milly had the same golden hair and slightly upturned nose as herself. She looked up at Milly and smiled, “So you hired me because I reminded you of yourself way back when didn’t you?”

“You caught me sweetie,” Milly smiled back. Milly looked around the empty diner and nodded towards the door, “Go home Buffy. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Thanks Mills,” Buffy nodded. She paused, still holding the photo, “Can I borrow this for a little while? I promise I’ll give it back.”

Milly nodded, “Keep it as long as you need darling.”

Buffy smiled brightly before grabbing her back and nodding as she started to exit the diner, “Thanks!”

She planned to start to sketch the second she got home.

******

“Harmony,” Spike started slowly, looking at his soon to be ex-girlfriend. The thought brought a feeling of relief to him. The sooner he was rid of her, the better.

“Spike let me go first,” she cut him off, “There’s something I really need to tell you.”

Bloody hell, Spike thought, she was going to drag this on, “What is it Harm?”

“I’m pregnant.”

******
Oh, bad place to stop? Oh well. *shrugs and walks off*