Chapter 11
Written by Starshine and fiddled with by Bloodshedbaby and Spikeslovebite
Spike slowly closed the door of the fridge, his face a perfect mask of concentration. His brows knitted together as he continued to hone in on Buffy's abdomen. 

His intent focus was beginning to give her a major case of the wiggins.  “What?” Buffy repeated, a hint of something trying to creep its way into her consciousness, only to be vehemently denied access to the accountable portion of her brain.

Giving himself a mental shake, Spike lifted his head to meet her paranoid gaze.  "It's nothing." Buffy opened her mouth to speak, but Spike anticipated her question. "And no, I don't think you're getting fat. You're bloody gorgeous."

Buffy gulped hard and smiled, not for a moment doubting his sincerity.
 

Dawn looked at her two guardians suspiciously. She had lived with them long enough to know when they were sharing their thoughts. For the most part, they reveled in it. Carried on entire conversations mentally, selfishly, almost as if they were taunting everyone in the room by not sharing what was going on in their heads.
 

Yet somehow, for some reason, there was a thought that they were both denying; rejecting some possibility not only from her, but each other.
 
 

Never one to mind her own business, Dawn focused her attention on Spike, counting on his natural bluntness to work in her favor.
 

“What just happened there?”
 

“Nothing,” Spike insisted, his hands digging into the pockets of his duster, a sure sign that something had him out of sorts.
 

Dawn pinned him with her 'I don't buy that for a moment' look. “Please. First, you are all with the ‘Buffy will eat' attitude; now you're just standing there being all Mr. Nervous Hand-in-the-Pockets guy.” Dawn whirled on her sister.  


 “And you! You’re obviously hungry, unless you are housing a demon in your stomach that growls at mac and cheese.”  


It didn't go unnoticed by Dawn that her sister and Spike refused to meet each others eyes, another sure sign that all was not well.
 

Suddenly Buffy felt her stomach churn, as if the butterflies that had been constant companions lately had banded together to stage a revolt. Her face turned a strange sickly white and she clamped her hand over her mouth, racing past Spike and Dawn to the bathroom up the stairs. 
 

Time was of the essence, or she was about to unleash something she really didn't want to have to clean up. She vaguely heard frantic footsteps from behind as she dropped to her knees in front of the commode and proceeded to empty the contents of her stomach.
 

Buffy gasped, trying to recover as another wave of nausea hit her, her body wrenching as she hiccupped, holding the sides of the seat trying to regain her strength.
 

She heard the sound of running water behind her. Someone lifted her hair and a cool cloth was pressed against the back of her neck before being gently patted across her face.
 

Lifting her head from its reverent tribute to the porcelain god, she struggled to hide her obvious distress from a pair of worried indigo eyes. Trying her best to smile, she reached out and flushed the toilet before climbing into his lap and allowing her heated face to be pressed against the cool and soothing chest of her mate.


Spike began to rock her back and forth, brushing a few loosened strands of hair off her damp face.
 

“I had some tuna for lunch. It tasted funny,” Buffy excused herself weakly.
 

She felt Spike nod as he held her tightly against him. “That must be it, luv.” His quick agreement lacked the necessary conviction.
 

“I’ll be okay.”
 

“Oh….my…God.” Dawn uttered, staring at the two figures cuddled on the floor of the bathroom. She leaned against the door frame, a knowing smile finding its way to her lips.
 

“Bit, she’s fine, no need to fuss. Probably just working to hard.”
 

“No, I really think it was the tuna.” Buffy interjected.
 

“Right, the tuna,” Spike asserted a bit too brightly.
 

Buffy looked up at her sister and attempted a smile to reassure her. She completely missed the knowing smirk on Dawn’s face.


“I’m not sick, so don’t worry about me.”
 

“Buffy, I know you hate doctors, but maybe you should go. I mean, if it would make the Nibblet feel better," he told her seriously, glaring at Dawn when he heard her derisive snort.
 

“I don’t think you are sick.” Dawn crossed her arms and raised her eyebrows.



Spike and Buffy regarded her with eyes that were too blank and clueless to be believed. 
 


“Um, hello? Has it occurred to either of you that maybe Buffy might be well, you know…?” She extended her arms out in front of her and curved them to simulate a pregnant belly, arching and wiggling her eyebrows suggestively.
 


“WHAT?” Buffy sputtered, rising to her feet so fast that her head began to spin.
 


Spike leapt up and steadied her until she regained her balance.
 


“Dawnie, how could you even think that? There's no possible way!” Buffy protested.
 

Spike watched Buffy's reaction carefully. Denial struck hard once more, even with the barest whisper of sound he had heard coming from her body just moments earlier in the kitchen.
 

“Dawn, you owe your sister an apology,” he said irrationally, his eyes flickering amber for a moment, more than content to shift the attention to the wrong person.
 

“For what? Thinking she might be…”
 

“Dawn, stop!” Buffy yelled. “Don’t say it. Don’t even THINK it.”
 

“What would be so bad about it?” Dawn argued, amused by the continued stubbornness from the two people she loved most in this world.
 

“Buffy would never do that to me,” Spike argued, his arm tightening around Buffy as she melted back against him. 
 

“You know what Spike means to me, Dawn. I can’t believe you would ever think... ”
 

Dawn rolled her eyes. She loved them, she really did. But sometimes, she did not understand how two people could get things so right when it came to some stuff; yet be so completely dense when it came to others.
 

“Please. I'm not saying I think Buffy is sneaking around, I just think she may be…”
 

Buffy’s eyes widened frantically. “STOP.”

 
“You think if I don’t say it, somehow it will be less true?”
 

“Bit…”
 

“PREGNANT!” Dawn screamed, feeling triumphant that she had managed to finally get the word out.
 

The denial that came in the backlash had Dawn letting out a huge sigh of frustration.
 

Spike took an unneeded breath. “Look Bit, it’s kind of hard for that to happen. Vampire here, you know," Spike informed her unnecessarily, shifting into his demon visage to flash a little fang at her.
 

Dawn shrugged her shoulders, unimpressed.  “We live on The Hellmouth, guys. Stranger things have happened.”  She pointed to herself dramatically.  “Hello? Big green ball of energy…Key.”
 

Spike and Buffy looked at each other. Spike could hear Buffy’s heart pounding inside her chest, and yet behind it, there was the barest whisper of a sound that was too synchronized to be an involuntary body function.
 

“I can’t be,” Buffy whispered, her eyes pleading with Dawn to take it back.
 

“Well, define can’t,” Dawn said, refusing to back down. “I mean, I took health; I do know a thing or two. When you say can’t, do you mean... well…” Dawn found herself blushing at the details but then drew herself up and pinned a determined look on Buffy. Someone had to be the adult here.


“I mean, have you had a…are you…?”  Dawn groaned at her tongue's unwillingness to ask the question, stomping her foot with irritation. “Duh! Spike, you should have noticed if Aunt Flow had come to pay Buffy a visit with the way you two go at it! I mean hello…vampire!” Dawn finally got out.
 

Spike cleared his throat, finally getting what the girl was indicating. How HE had missed it was beyond him as well. It was a natural monthly occurrence in all living females. Surely if that had happened, he would have been one of the first to know… Shaking himself from his lusty thoughts, he refocused on the situation at hand.
 

“I..haven’t I just thought that maybe it was a coming back from the dead thing.”
 


“Well only one way to find out,” Dawn deduced, dangling Spike’s car keys from her finger.
 
***
 
An hour later, three members of the Slayer’s household sat in the bathroom staring at a washcloth on the sink.
 


They had gone to the drug store the hour previous. After the initial embarrassment of being seen in said aisle, the three nearly got kicked out of the store because of the heated debate over which test would be most accurate. When it came time to pay for the test, Buffy found herself highly embarrassed. Dawn rolled her eyes and held out her hand. Both of them looked at her, mortified.
 

Spike not understanding what the big deal was, grabbed the test and strode toward the checkout stand. It was not until the checker scanned the item and gave him a look that Spike began to understand why his mate was so shy about getting the bloody thing. The male cashier cleared his throat and put the test in a small brown bag. The others in line shifted uncomfortably as they eyed his purchase. Spike scowled at them, growling a bit as he snatched the bag from the cashier.
 

“I don‘t see what the bloody fuss is about. You sell the damn things for a reason!”
 

Trying to quell his self-consciousness, Spike walked out of the drug store with his cocky, swaggered walk a bit more exaggerated than the situation warranted.
 

Now, he sat on the counter with Buffy standing between his legs. Dawn sat on bathtub’s edge. All three of them eyed the egg timer that slowly ticked away.
 

Finally, mercifully, they heard a loud ring resonate through the air, echoing off the walls.
 

Dawn took a deep breath, holding the box up.
 

“All right. One line means, no. Two lines means diapers and crying for the two of you.” Dawn stood up reaching for the towel.
 

Buffy stopped her.
 

"We’ve got it,” she assured the gangly teen, figuring it was time to act like the adult.
 

Buffy looked at Spike, who merely nodded. She took a deep breath and unwrapped the towel to reveal the stick.
 

There they were. Clear as day. Two blue lines staring up at the unconventional couple. Confirming the thing they had both been afraid to say.
 

Ever the impatient teenager, Dawn looked at the stick herself and squealed.
 

“Oh my gosh!!! You’re pregnant!! I’m going to be an Aunt!!” She threw her arms around both of them, squeezing joyfully.
 

Spike and Buffy stood there, still in shock.
 

They heard the front door open.
 

“Buffy? Dawn? Spike? Anyone here?”
 TBC....
Thank you sooo much for all of the reviews!!