Spike and Buffy stood there, still in shock.
They heard the front door open.
“Buffy? Dawn? Spike? Anyone here?”
TBC....
chapter 12
chapter by Bloodshedbaby

Dawn squealed and tried running out of the bathroom only to have her way blocked by Buffy.

“Where are you going?”

“Duh! I’m going to go tell Tara I’m going to be an aunt,” Dawn replied excitedly, her youthful enthusiasm almost contagious.

Almost but not quite.

“Think you should let your sis be the one to break the news, don’t you?” Spike suggested, still completely gob smacked by the news.

“You guys suck.” With a dramatic spin, Dawn flounced from the bathroom and down the stairs, pouting about having to keep the news regarding the new life to herself.

“A baby, Spike,” Buffy whispered finally, turning to look at her gorgeous vampire, her hand resting instinctively on the toned expanse of her abdomen. A shy smile emerged. “We’re going to have a baby.”

Spike’s head tipped slightly to the side that Buffy had come to recognize as his pensive pose. His hand reached out and covered the one splayed across her stomach, his fingers caressing lightly.

“How do you feel about this, pet?” he asked softly, noticing the signs of fatigue and stress weathered on her face that hadn’t been present for a while. It had taken a lot of work to wipe them off of her face after she came back, and it pained him to see them again.

“I-I…” Buffy gave a self-conscious laugh. “I’m not sure, to be honest. I don’t think it’s quite hit me yet.”

A flicker of doubt crept into his mind and Spike found himself voicing the very question that deep down, he already knew the answer to.

“You do… want to keep it, right?”

Her eyes shot emerald daggers at him as she shoved his hand away. “Hello! News from the file marked duh! Of course I want it!” Then the same flicker of doubt crept into Buffy’s mind. “You want it, right?”

A slow smirk curled across his lips. “News from the file marked duh,” he quoted softly, drawing her into his arms. “We’re having a baby.”

His lips lowered to seek hers, slow and sweet, his tongue taking its time in gaining entry to her mouth. Buffy’s arms snaked around his neck and she pressed herself closer, closing her eyes to ignore the disturbing visual of Spike’s lack of reflection.

Spike’s hand had just made its way to cup her ass, hauling her up against his erection when the sound of a snicker disrupted his tactile exploration. He looked up to see Dawn’s smirking face and the blushing profile of Tara.

“Um, sorry,” Tara apologized, still not entirely used to walking in on a full Spike and Buffy make-out session.

Dawn snorted. “They do that ALL the time. You kinda have to get used to it after awhile.”

Buffy rolled her eyes and turned around in Spike’s embrace, bringing his arm around to band around her abdomen as she leaned back against him. “Hi Tara.”

“Glinda,” Spike acknowledged in way of greeting.

“So what’s up?” Buffy asked perkily as she felt something perky from behind her rubbing her ass. She turned her head to look at Spike and gave him a look telling him to knock it off.


“Uh, I just wanted to stop by to see if Dawn wanted to go to the movies.”

“Oh! I totally do! Can we go see that new Brad Pitt movie? Please?” Dawn begged. “Buffy won’t go with me, says she doesn’t need the yumminess of Brad when she has Spike at home. So pleeeeeeease.”

“I can do Brad Pitt,” Tara assured her easily, glad for the company.

At Spike’s snort, Buffy smacked his arm. “God Spike! Gutter brain!”

Dawn rolled her eyes and as she was walking away to get ready, she tossed over her shoulder, “Oh, don’t forget to tell Tara the good news.” With a wink, she was out of sight.

Buffy sighed. “She’s so subtle.” She missed Tara’s intense scrutiny, her face pensive.

“Actually, I think you probably would be the best person to talk to about it.” Buffy reached behind her for Spike’s hand, suddenly nervous to actually SAY the words out loud to another person.

Because that made it real.

A baby. Their baby. She was pregnant. From rotting in her grave to celebrating the miracle of life times two in the span of a few short months.

Tears sprung unbidden to swim in her eyes and Buffy swiped at them hastily before they had a chance to escape and slide down her cheeks.

“A-are you ok, Buffy?” Tara asked gently, having noted a shift in Buffy’s aura earlier.

Buffy smiled weakly through her unshed tears. “Yeah. I’m just a bit, uh, emotional, I guess.” She took a deep breath. “I’m pregnant.”

Buffy didn’t know what she had anticipated Tara’s response to be, but it wasn’t the tearful spontaneous hug she gave them both she and Spike.

“Congratulations!” Tara said warmly, earning another notch in Spike’s esteem for the lack of awkward questions and the quiet, happy acceptance.

He knew it was exactly what Buffy needed at that exact moment and whether Tara knew it or not, Spike would never consider her as anything but family from that moment forward.

Knowing Dawn would be interrupting any minute, Spike asked the question that had been niggling in his gut since he first heard that tiny wisp of sound from his girl’s belly.

“My boys should have been as dead as I am, Glinda. This shouldn’t have been possible. I know I should just be thanking the bloody stars right now, but something is sitting uneasy here. I need to know how. Can you help?”

Tara had seen a lot of changes take place with this particular vampire over the course of the year, but this quiet intensity was something new.

Spike was scared.

Tara reached over and laid a calming hand on the arm that held Buffy snuggled against his side. “Don’t worry, I’ll help in any way I can.”

Buffy hugged her, not able to help herself as another torrent of spastic hormones flooded her system. “I just want to make sure everything is ok, you know? What with the being dead and all.” She blinked as she considered what she had just said. “I mean me being dead, not Spike. Wait…”

Tara smiled tenderly at the other girl. “I understand, sweetie.” She looked over Buffy’s shoulder at Spike. “I am going to research the spell again. We might find the answer there.”

“Or it could be a prophecy,” Buffy grumbled.

“Or maybe it’s because the Mighty Sperm of Spike just refuse to die, ever bloody think of that?” Spike challenged cockily, beginning to feeling a mite chuffed that not only did he manage to get a bird knocked up in his current undead state; but that the bird in question was no other than the Slayer.

Life was good.

Any further pertinent conversation was interrupted by Dawn loud arrival, now freshly coiffed. “Eww! You guys are still in the bathroom? Thought you would have at least gone downstairs or something.” She looked excitedly over at Tara. “Did they tell you?”

“Yes Dawnie, we told her,” Buffy replied, glad to have at least two people so entirely enthusiastic over this mysterious pregnancy thing.

Dawn squealed, her eyes bright with excitement. “I can’t wait to find out if it’s a boy or a girl! OH MY GOD. We get to decorate a nursery!”

A slight hint of fear nudged at Buffy as further reality of having a baby sunk in and Spike was right on top of it, taking Buffy by the hand and leading her out of the bathroom and away from the glaringly positive pregnancy test.

Settled around the kitchen island, Spike addressed his concerns. “Bit, we’ve got lots of time to get all those little details sussed out. The important thing is making sure your sis and the weeta-bit are ok.” He shared a look with Buffy, a mutual understanding taking place. “And until we know exactly how this baby came to be, it is probably best to keep a lid on it.”

When Dawn opened her mouth to argue, Tara intervened. “Spike’s right, Dawn. Yes, Buffy is pregnant, and that is a very wonderful thing. BUT, and this is very important, the father of this baby is a vampire, and that fact alone means we have to tread carefully.”

“So… I don’t get to tell anyone?” Dawn pouted, the fact that her niece or nephew could very well be a vampire hybrid of absolutely no importance to her.

Buffy shook her head sadly. “No, I’m sorry Dawn. Not until we know for sure.” Seeing the sad look on her sister’s face, Buffy felt compelled to add, “I tell you what though. I think we may need Giles’ help here. I’ll let you be the one to tell him the good news.”

Dawn flashed a smile and then in a flurry of every ounce of her teenage energy, was out the door with Tara, leaving Spike and Buffy alone.

TBC

Sorry for the delay between updates!! WILL get better though. Thank you for reading!