a/n-WOW! another chapter!! We're just cranking this baby out!! And believe me when I tell you that your reviews are GREATLY responsible!!!!

Chapter 6
By Bloodshedbaby

A thin layer of mist hugged the ground as Riley Finn walked towards the heavy, metal gate that surrounded the cemetery, adding a sinister ambiance to a place already known to breed evil.

He had come as soon as he'd heard. He hadn't stopped moving since he had received the news, his need to return to Sunnydale overwhelming. Even though dawn was just hours away-and with it the shroud of safety the sun provided-, he'd ignored that offer of protection in his unwavering haste.

He had to return to her.

Pausing to take a deep breath, Riley heard a noise and whipped around; his trademark military issue body heat sensor firmly gripped in his hand. He may be in a hurry, but he wasn't stupid. Just as he suspected, the figure coming toward him failed to register on his sophisticated equipment and his free hand reached for one of the many weapons he carried.

His body relaxed a fraction when he suddenly recognized the vampire.

They regarded each other with a cool, measuring gaze; memories of their last meeting lending credence to the utter chilliness of their visual inspection.

"You heard?" Angel finally spoke.

Riley gave a curt nod, his face clouding with unreadable emotion. "I came as soon as I found out."

Angel sighed, wondering which one they had called first in a burst of petty jealousy. "Yeah, me too." He tipped his head in the direction of the cemetery. "Just had to see for myself before I saw them."

"Yeah." A tentative bond was suddenly formed as Angel and Riley turned in unison and silently walked through the gate; Angel leading the way.

Both men tensed with anticipation the closer they came to the small patch of earth that had been dedicated to the girl they had both loved and lost.

Riley's eyes widened with harsh disbelief at the sight that suddenly greeted him, quickly looking over at a now game-faced Angel. "What the fuck happened?"

Angel could only growl the one word that explained everything in one clarifying rush.

"Spike."

Angel's black trench coat spun around his legs in a flurry of dark color as he turned around and stalked back toward the cemetery gates, so caught up in his sanctimonious rage that he remained completely oblivious to the human that trailed in his wake.

*********

Spike sat in his battered leather recliner, his mind a myriad of thoughts. Every one of his enhanced senses was focused on the girl that was finally asleep in his bed.

HIS bed, he thought with not a small measure of amazement. She was there because she wanted to be; not because of any threats or botched spells. Of her own accord and free will, Buffy had chosen to seek sanctuary with him.

It was awe inspiring.

Every beat of her heart, every soft, even breath that passed between her succulent lips, was noted with inspired reverence. Together they proved with every passing moment that Buffy was truly alive; sounding nothing less than the most harmonious of music to Spike's heartened ears.

He found himself suddenly and completely overwhelmed.

Swiping at tears that dared to plunge down his cheeks, Spike tipped his head back and offered a silent prayer to a God that had no use for him, his evil standing insuring that heaven and the utter peace that Buffy had experienced would never be his eternal reward

But... that was ok, because heaven was asleep in his bed at that moment... and that was more than he deserved.

A sudden crash brought Spike suddenly alert, his vampiric guise sliding instinctively into place. A humorless laugh echoed throughout the room when he saw the hulking figure marring his doorway. He should have known.

"Peaches," Spike said by way of greeting.

The growl that resulted from the mocking greeting was one that Angel had not dared to use on Spike since his soul had been inflicted upon him. It spoke of domination and was purely primal in its intent.

Ol' Angelus was pissed, no doubt about it, Spike thought wryly.

He growled back, refusing to yield to the unspoken demand of submission. Spike wasn't that vamp anymore; times had more than changed and it was time Angelus realized that. .

Angel's eyes narrowed with fury. How DARE Spike ignore his command? Stepping through the door, he suddenly found himself shouldered roughly aside as Riley barreled across the threshold.

Before Spike could react to this new threat, Riley had him pinned against the wall, one beefy arm splayed across his neck while his free hand held a stake in a lethal position over his heart. Forcefully struggling to free himself, Spike cried out in pain as the chip fired, misinterpreting his intent.

Riley suddenly found himself pushed to the ground and he looked up in astonishment to see the hulking figure of Angel above him.

But, for the moment, he chose to ignore the dark haired vamp. Instead, Riley focused the full brunt of his self righteous anger back on Spike.

"Where is she?" he bit out, his anger escalating as he took notice of the various articles of Buffy's clothing strewn around the crypt.

"Downstairs, you sod," Spike growled, rubbing his chest where the stake had penetrated his shirt and into the fleshy part of his pecs.

"You son of a bitch," Riley ground out. He picked himself up and with speed that surprised the two vampires made his way over to the hole and down the ladder.

"Hey!" Spike yelled after realizing the Cornpone's intent.

'She looks so peaceful' was Riley's first thought, seeing her lying in Spike's bed, the covers drawn chastely to her neck. Fury poured through him.

Resolve reaffirmed, Riley stalked to the bedside and snatched Buffy up into his arms, turning to face the ladder with his precious burden.

His high pitched scream sounded at the exact same time Buffy's shriek rent the air.

"NO!!!" she screamed, thrashing against the binding force, certain that she was trapped in her coffin once more.

"What the..." Riley yelled, losing his grip on his struggling cargo. He watched in horror as she crashed to the ground.

"GOD!" Buffy shrieked, coming fully awake upon impact with the cold, hard, floor. "What do I have to do to get any peace around here???" She picked herself up, straightening the tank top and boxer shorts she had been sleeping in. "Oh yeah. Die. How silly of me."

She looked over at the person responsible for jerking her out of a sound sleep. "RILEY???"

His face was a frozen mask of horror. "You're.... you're... alive...."

Buffy's brows knitted together in confusion and she was relieved to find herself swept up by Spike, who was shooting daggers at her ex boyfriend. "Of course she's bloody alive, you stupid sod."

Riley looked over in helpless confusion to Angel who had dropped down to the lower level and was now glaring at Spike with a mixture of vehemence and resentment.

"What? You thought she was... dead?" Angel asked, his forehead furrowing.

Riley nodded mutely, still trying to wrap his brain around the fact that Buffy had returned to the land of the living and was standing there... in Spike's arms. Eyes narrowed with disgust once more as he focused them on the one he deemed responsible. 'What the hell did you do to her, you sick fuck?"

Spike bristled at the accusation. "I didn't do anything, you git. Can blame her little friends for this little tableau."

Riley moved forward once more with lethal intent. "Right, like you're so trust worthy. I think I'll choose... not to believe you."

"Riley!" Buffy practically barked, exhaustion pouring from molecule in her body. "What the HELL are you doing here?"

"I came to pay my respects. I heard that you had...died. I came as soon as I found out."

Realization dawned on Angel. "And you thought that Spike had stolen Buffy's body?"

Spike's lips curled up in revulsion. "That's bloody disgusting."

"What?" Riley said defensively. "Like it's so hard to imagine? I know you wanted her."

Spike gently set Buffy on the bed, pulling the fleece throw off the end and settling it gently over her bare legs, bringing his hand up to gently cup her cheek before turning to look at Riley. "Yeah, you're right. I did want her."

Angel watched this interaction almost as if he was a casual observer, the tender strokes, the thoughtful touches... and a bit of his previous anger suddenly evaporated. Blind fury had gripped him upon receiving Xander's phone call just a few hours prior. First, there had been pure wonderment and joy upon hearing the news that Buffy was alive; her death had left a sad mark on his soul. Then his uplifted emotions had turned to anger upon hearing of Spike's involvement, and he had feared for her. Xander had painted a brutally disturbing picture, and Angel had bought it; flying up to Sunnydale in a whirlwind of misguided intent and sanctimonious determination.

Oh... he saw the vivid bite marks on Buffy's neck that Xander had spoke of... but he now also knew the reason for them.

Hearing the dark, dolorous sigh escape his grand-sire, Spike turned to look at him, a scarred eyebrow raised in question. "Got something to say, eh Peaches?"

"When? Before or after?"

Spike didn't pretend to misinterpret the question. He knew exactly what it was that the poof was asking. Lips curling into a defiant smirk, he replied, "Before."

Angel nodded once, his anger leaving him in one shallow breath. This was no thrall or intimidation as Xander had implied. Buffy was Spike's mate. It all made sense.

"What?" Riley cried petulantly, the shrill whine reminding both vampires suddenly of Xander.

"Nothing," Angel announced, turning towards the ladder.

"Where are you going? We're just... leaving Buffy here?"

Angel turned to look at the soldier. "Yes. We're just leaving Buffy here." Without another word, he disappeared up the ladder.

*********

When Spike and Buffy found themselves alone once more, Buffy surprised him by allowing a bark of laughter erupt.

"What are you laughin' at, eh?"

"You. Riley thought you were into dead people."

Disgust filled Spike's face. "Stupid git." His face softened as he studied Buffy, noting the weariness that road-mapped her face. "Why don't you try to go back to sleep, luv."

A indelicate snort erupted at that suggestion, filling Spike's heart with joy. It sounded so much like the Buffy he remembered; the one who found most of his suggestions fodder for derision, and he was happy to see it.

"Almost afraid to fall asleep, you know? It turned out so well the last time."

A soft, tender smile played over Spike's lips as he held the sheets up for her to slide under. "In you go, pet."

To his surprise, she followed his advice and allowed the thick coverlet on Spike's bed to swallow her up. Voluminous, green eyes stared up at him, and he felt a tug on his resolve.

"Spike?"

"Yeah, pet?"

"Stay with me?" With that quietly spoken request, Buffy held up a corner of the sheets for Spike to take his position next to her. "I need you to keep the demons at bay."

"I am those demons, luv," he automatically shot back while shrugging his shirt off, then mentally slapped himself. No need for that brutal reminder to surface.

She smiled with trusting eyes as he crawled into the bed next to her. "Yeah, but you're MY demon."


tbc..

Please review!!