Chapter 1: The Beginnning



***It will eventually be rated NC-17, but oviously, the first few chapters will be a tame PG. Hopefully my beta did a better job on this story than the last chapters of Denial. Oh, and please review.***



“Dad, hurry up. We’re gonna be late for dinner.” Thirteen year old William Giles yelled up the stairs to the second floor where his father was getting dressed.


“Patience is a virtue.” A British voice replied as Rupert Giles came down the stairs, adjusting his tie. Giles looked into the stormy blue eyes of his son who stood impatiently at the door before turning to face the mirror in the entry way to finish adjusting his tie. “What’s your hurry? Dinner isn’t for a bit.” William rolled his eyes, his hand coming up to push his glasses up the bridge of his nose.


“Well somebody is moving us all the way across the ocean so this is like one of the last times we will be eating Mrs. Summers cooking.” William ran his fingers through his mop of curls, the unruly strands falling back into place almost immediately.


“And this would have nothing to do with little Miss Buffy Summers, would it.” Giles watch in amusement as his son shook his head venomously, his face turning red.


“No!” William half shouted, his face growing redder. “God, dad! You are so lame.” Giles chuckled and turned to face his son.


“It amazes me just how American you sound sometimes.” Williams eyes filled with unshed tears.


“Mom was American.” He whispered, his voice choked with emotion. Giles reached out for his son only to be shrugged away.


“William, it’s only been a month, it’s ok-”


“I’m fine dad.” William replied shortly, wiping furiously at his eyes. “We should get going.” Giles sighed in resignation and grabbed his jacket from the hall closet and followed his son from the house.



¤.·`·._.·´`··¤.·`·._.·´`··¤.·`·._.·´`··¤.·`·._.·´`··¤.·`·._.·´`··¤.·`·._.·´`··¤.·`·._.·´`··¤




“So you wanna come over?” Willow Rosenberg’s voice asked over the cordless phone. Buffy Summers sighed and fell onto her bed with a flop.


“No can do. Mom invited Giles over for supper tonight.” Buffy said disdainfully.


“Is your boyfriend going to be there?” Willow asked slyly.


“Eww! As if!” Buffy screeched. “He is so not my boyfriend. God he is such a geek.” The sound of Willow’s laughter trickled from the phone, pulling a growl of disgust from her friend.


“BUFFY.” Joyce Summers voice yelled from the main floor.


“JUST A MINUTE.” Buffy yelled back, forgetting to pull the phone from her ear. “Gotta go Wills.”


“Ya I heard, not that I will be hearing anything else, ever!” Willow replied sarcastically, causing Buffy to giggle.


“Sorry. Call you tomorrow?” After setting plans to meet the next day, the two girls hung up.


Buffy bounded down the stairs with enough noise to make it sound as if she had a herd of elephants on her heels. She bounced into the kitchen to find her little sister Dawn helping their mom put the finishing touch on supper.


“’Bout time you got here.” Dawn whined, glaring at her older sister.


“I was talking to my friends.” Buffy said, sticking her tongue out at her sister.


You have friends.” Dawn replied. “You know the operators are just being nice when you phone to talk to them, pretending you have friends.” Buffy glared daggers at her sister.


“I think you are confusing me with you.” Buffy retorted, swiping something from the plate of goodies on the counter.


“Mom, Buffy’s stealing food.” Dawn complained, swatting at her thieving sister. Joyce sighed and turned to face her quarrelling children.


“Buffy, stop stealing food.” Dawn stuck her tongue out at Buffy, a satisfied grin on her face. “And Dawn, stop bugging your sister.” Buffy smirked and stuck her tongue out at Dawn in retaliation.


Joyce sighed and shook her head at her daughters as the door bell rang.


“I got it.” Dawn yelled excitedly, jumping form the chair she was standing on to run to the door.


“Who’s there?” She called out in a sing-song voice.


“Giles.” A deep voice called back.


“How do I know it’s really you?” Dawn called back coyly. Giles smiled good-naturedly from the other side of the door.


“Why don’t you open up and see.”


“But what if yer some evil monster pretending to be Giles.” Dawn called out, giggling to herself.


“Don’t be such a dweeb.” Buffy said, rolling her eyes, as she came into the e hall. She pulled the door open despite her younger sisters’ protests.


“Hey Giles.” Buffy said before launching herself into his arms.


“Hello dear.” Giles replied, lifting her off her feet and making her giggle.


:Me too, me too!” Dawn squealed, tugging at her sisters’ leg, trying to disengage her from Giles embrace. Giles laughed and replaced Buffy on her feet before sweeping Dawn into an equally enthusiastic hug.


“Hi Giles.” Dawn cried, wrapping her arms around his neck tightly and giving his cheek a sloppy kiss.


“Girls, let the poor man in.” Joyce called out with an indulgent smile as she wiped her hands on her apron. Giles set a pouting Dawn back on the floor and stepped into the house.


“Hello Joyce.” HE said warmly, taking her hands in his and kissing her cheek.


“How are things?” Joyce asked, giving his hands a squeeze.


“Getting better.” Buffy lost interest in the adults as she turned back to the door to see William standing in the porch, his eyes fixed on his shoes.


“Hi Buffy.” He said softly, raising his eyes briefly to hers before they darted back to his shoes.


“Hi William.” Buffy replied, suppressing a smile. “You coming in or you eating on the porch?” Williams ears turned red as he flashed her a sheepish grin before entering the house. Buffy closed the door and turned to see Dawn dragging a reluctant William off in the direction of the living room. Buffy shook her head and went into the kitchen.


“How long till supper.” Buffy asked.


“About ten minutes or so. Why don’t you go play with Dawn and William.” Joyce smiles at her daughter. Buffy made a face and left the room.


“I never could figure out what she has against William.” Giles said with a smile.


“I think it has something to do with boys and cooties, she said.” Joyce replied, pulling the pot of the stove to place it in the sink, her fingers twisting the burner dial to off. “Also, something about the popularity hierarchy of junior high.” Giles stared at Joyce in disbelief.


“Don’t look at me. I have no idea where she learned those words.” Joyce laughed.


“She’s going to be a heart breaker, that one.” Giles said moving around the counter to help Joyce finish with the salad.


“Not for a few years I hope.” Joyce said, a harried expression crossing her face.


“Thank goodness for cooties.”


“Amen.” Was her reply.