Buffy awoke the next morning, completely nude between soft silk sheets the color of blood and knew two things instantly. One, she wasn’t at one of the cheap hotels she usually called home and two, she hadn’t had sex. Remembering what had happened the night before and that she had undressed herself before going to bed alone, she climbed out of bed and stretched out to shake the sleep from her muscles. It wasn’t the first time she had spent the night with a john and just because they hadn’t done the deed, didn’t mean that the same rules weren’t in effect. The meter had just expired and it was time to pull out of the parking space and head home. She reached over to where she had neatly laid her clothes, just as a strange man walked into the room.

Realizing that she was not his broody employer, Doyle let himself appreciate the view for a moment before leaping to the wrong conclusion. Giving a short shout, he ran from the room and back up the stairs to tell Cordy that Angelus was back.

Puzzled, but just thinking he was shy, she reached for her clothes again and this time Angel walked into the room. Much like the other man, he paused for a moment to look at her. “If this keeps up I’m going to start charging admission.” She muttered dryly, letting him look his fill.

Tearing his eyes away from her breasts, almost to large for her slender waist and flat abdomen, he forced himself to meet her eyes. “Where did he go?”

She shrugged and when he ran out of the room without another word, she shook her head and pulled on her clothes. She counted her money as was her usual habit and grabbed her toys, shoving them in his waistband at the small of her back before headed upstairs. When she reached the top of the stairs she heard an argument in full swing. With her curiosity piqued, she peaked into the glass office and was surprised to see a man and woman holding Angel at bay with two large crosses. It wasn’t her problem but since she had a pretty good idea that it had to something to do with her, she made her way into the room. She flicked her gaze over the people not sure if they were human or not and turned to Angel. “Do you want me to kill them or should I just disarm them?”

Before Angel could respond Doyle stepped forward and brandished the cross in her face. “Get back.”

Rolling her eyes, she reached up and jerked the cross out of his hands in a single fluid movement. Tapping it against her palm, she gave him a hard look. “Are you going to make me break this over your head or are you going to tell me what’s going on?”

“If you’re not a vampire then why didn’t Angelus kill you?” Doyle asked her.

She turned back to Angel. “Why don’t you handle the explanation?”

“They think you triggered the curse.”

“Listen, he bought me for the night but he didn’t do the deed. He slept on the sofa and since I always sleep naked, you just got a free show and nothing more.”

“He bought you?” Cordy asked before whirling on Angel. “You actually went out and bought a cheap hooker? What in the hell were you thinking ?”

“Hey Malibu Barbie, I’m a whore but I’m not exactly cheap, so mind your manners.” Buffy warned her, narrowing her eyes at the designer clad brunette across from her. She was beautiful in a way that was hard to believe, so even though the hair color was wrong, Buffy decided she still had the prissy manner that fit the moniker.

“Since when was that a company benefit and why didn‘t anyone tell me?” Doyle asked, remembering the naked golden goddess he had seen earlier.

Cordelia punched him none to lightly in the arm and looked an Angel for an explanation.

“I found her staking a vamp, she’s the slayer that replaced Kendra.”

“She’s a hooker, since when does that fit in with the image of a Champion of the innocent? The key word being innocent.”

“Cordelia,” Angel warned her, growling low in his throat.

When Cordelia, turned her cold hazel eyes on her, Buffy crossed her arms over her chest. “Don’t look at me, I told him the same thing. I didn’t buy it either, so I’ll just let you all take it from here.”

“Buffy…”

“Your name is Buffy and you had the nerve to call me Barbie?” Cordy asked mockingly.

“If the shoe fits princess.” Buffy shot back.

“You can’t go Buffy.” Angel said walking over to grab her arm lightly.

Jerking away from his touch she reminded him of the details of their arrangement. “No money, no Buffy, that was the deal remember. I stayed the night and now unless you hand me several dead presidents, I’m gone.”

Since Angel was wearing nothing but a pair of silk boxers, Doyle pulled out his wallet and charged in to save the day, in the weirdest way yet. “How much?”

“500 a night or 100 a go and something tells me you’re a real goer.” Buffy said nibbling on her bottom lip, seamlessly tuning back into the familiar rhythm of the street.

Staggered by the look in her eyes and the throaty purr of her voice, Doyle blindly handed over the entire contents of his wallet.

She counted out the bills quickly and efficiently and stepped towards him. Neatly tucking away the money, she reached out to trail a hand down his chest. “You just bought yourself two trips through the amusement park and trust me baby, I’m going to leave you breathless.”

She had nearly reached his lips when Angel pulled her away suddenly. “It’s the same deal as before, no sex just conversation.”

“Sorry pal, but you ain’t the one paying me this time.” She looked back over her shoulder at Doyle. “Is that what you want lover or do you have something else in mind that‘s a little more stimulating than conversation?”

Doyle caught the hard look on Angel’s features and regrettably shook his head no. “Sorry, but he’s the boss.”

Shrugging she pulled out of Angel’s arms and walked over to sit on the corner of the desk. “You got me for two hours Angel, so now what?”

Thinking for a minute, he decided he needed some time to explain things to the others. “You should go back downstairs for now.” He said running his hand through his hair.

“Okay but do you want me to bring up your pants, cuz your bringing a whole new meaning to the term office casual.” She said hopping down off the desk.

Nodding, he waited until she was out of earshot to explain everything that had happened. He had just finished the story when she walked back in. Not only had she brought him his pants but also a matching shirt. When she turned to leave again, he reached out to stop her. To his surprise she didn’t try to struggle this time. “I think it’s time we talked.”

“What ever you want, boss.” She said plopping down in one of the empty chairs.

“How about we start with your name and age and go from there.” He said motioning for the others to sit, while he pulled on his clothes.

“Buffy Anne Winters and I’m nineteen.” She said before telling them the highlights, or lowlights as they were, of her life story. Even the condensed version had eaten up a full half hour of their time and she waited to see what was up next.

“How many demons have you slain?” Angel asked softly unable to believe how strong she must have been to survive this long.

“I don’t know maybe one or two vamps a night plus a mixed bag of demons along the way. I don’t go looking for them but where I hang out it’s kind of hard to missing running into them. Despite what you think most of my johns are human and I’ve never been with a demon that I know of...well except for the occasional vamp. Thanks to my cash up front way of doing business, the deal usually closes the second they pop out their fangs. I don‘t share blood but if their money is good, I don‘t care if they don‘t have a pulse.”

“How can you be so casual about this?” Cordelia blurted out before she could stop herself. “I mean your life pretty much sucked big time and I feel sorry for you. But you’re not really acting like a victim so it’s pretty hard to treat you like one.”

“I‘m not and I sure as hell don‘t need your pity.” Buffy told her, in a voice sharp enough to cut through bone. “Wake up and smell reality princess, if you’re going to live in this world you need money. I’ve been paying my own way since I was sixteen. Everything I own, every bite of food I eaten and every night I spent in a warm room I’ve earned. How I make my money may not be pretty but can you say the same thing about your life?”

“Buffy why don’t you go downstairs for a little while.” Angel said, wanting to give her a little space.

“You know what Angel, I don’t need this shit.” She reached down and pulled out a hundred dollar bill out. She slammed it down on the desk. “I’m not your charity case and I sure as hell don’t need a bunch of people more fucked up than I am, looking down their noses at me, hoping to feel better about themselves. You all can spend your time trying to save this world but that’s your thing not mine. The people of this world see only the things they want to see and your all so busy trying to save them that you think you’re better than they are. I told you once that I don’t want to be saved, so save your spiel for someone who actually likes this world the way it is.”

She was half way to the door when she felt Angel grab onto her arm again. The first time she had let him get away with it because she had sold herself but this time, she was her own boss. It was time he learned that he could buy her body but not her, she decided. Without the slightest bit of hesitation, she turned and punched him in the face. When his hands went up to his throbbing nose, she brought her knee up hard into his gut knocking him to the ground. “Whose the pathetic one now?” She tossed back at them, walking out of the room without looking back.