STAKE YOUR CLAIM


Chapter 2:


In the end, Buffy had won the battle and apparently, the war with her own Father. Hank Summers was not happy about his oldest daughter’s choice for her future, of course not, but he bowed to her wishes.

Precisely on June 25th of 1881, Rupert Giles, his beloved wife Jennifer ‘Calendar’ Giles and their youngest son Connor Giles, aged fifteen, arrived in Greenville, Tennesse to collect Elizabeth ‘Buffy’ Summers-Abrams and spirit her off to the wilds of Wyoming.

The Giles were the representatives of Cheyenne, Wyoming, the most respectable family in the whole area and known to the Summer’s family from days gone by. As progressive a man that Hank Summers was, for Greenville that is; and as much as Wyoming had been the first place in the United States, Territory or State to allow women the right to vote? Well….Buffy’s Father was still hesitant about ‘allowing’ his darling daughter to move to that Godforsaken place out West.

“Are you sure about this Elizabeth?” he asked time and again, even after the Gile’s family, or at least some of it had arrived to take his daughter away from them. Buffy was more then sure, she was certain.

When Buffy first met Jennifer Giles, she wondered at the ‘look’ that passed between her and her older husband, Rupert.

“Yes,” Jennifer had purred with a smile, “she’s perfect for him,” but she said no more and Buffy didn’t inquire further. She just assumed that both of the Giles meant that she, Buffy was perfect as a school teacher for their rough and tumble Territory.

“Mrs. Abrams,” Jennifer had greeted her warmly. “It’s Ms. Summers, Mrs. Giles,” Buffy had corrected. “I’ve taken my maiden name back. It seemed pointless and confusing to have two Mrs. Abrams in Greenville and of course, I have no children to carry on my late husband’s name. Besides,” Buffy stammred, “my late husband’s Mother, she…..”

Mrs. Giles nodded quickly, “I understand completely. Summers is such a lovely name anyway my dear, more suited to such a fair young woman such as yourself. I want us to be the best of friends!”

Buffy smiled at the older woman warmly, “I’d like that Mrs. Giles,” she responded.

“Please, call me Jennifer, actually Jenny is even better.”

After the introductions had been made, two or three days after the Giles arrival, Buffy and Jennifer wondered through her parents gardens together, admiring her Mother’s flowers and shrubs.

“I was wondering Elizabeth,” Jenny began, “please, call me Buffy,” she corrected the older woman this time. “Buffy, that’s an interesting name. May I ask where it comes from?”

Buffy smiled warmly and motioned Jenny to sit down with her on the wrought iron bench her Mother had chosen for just this spot in the garden.

“It’s kind of an interesting story, Jennifer,” Buffy began, still uncertain about using the woman’s more familiar nick name. “Of course, as a Southern woman yourself, I suppose you would appreciate my nick name’s history?”

Jenny nodded and settled in to listen to her new friend’s story. “My Mother, Joyce was the second child of a loving but strict woman by the name of Elizabeth Hainsworth James. She was the pillar of Southern antebellum, strong, formidable but submissive to her husband, Captain Hollace James. Being the second child in this family, and the second oldest to seven other children, my Mother was loved, yes, but probably a bit neglected as far as Motherly love went. How can a woman, a woman by the way my Christian name of Elizabeth comes from, love and tend to nine boisterous children who came one right after the other?”

Jennifer smiled at Buffy, “I can understand that. I was the only daughter of my parents, actually my brother and I were their only children, but even my Mother found us a bit of a handful.”

Buffy nodded, “anyway, my Mother had a Mammy, of course, like all women of her status did then. She was a wonderful woman, Jenny! Warm, loving, attentive to my Mother, everything Grandma Elizabeth didn’t have time to be. My Mother’s Mammy was named Buffy and that’s who I am nicknamed after. When my Mother married my Father, Mammy Buffy came with her to take care of her, and her future children. Mama and Mammy Buffy were devoted to each other and us.” Jennifer Giles looked intently at Buffy, “what happened to your Mother’s Buffy, dear?” she asked softly.

“She died,” Buffy responded with a sorrowful whisper, “Diptheria.” And she said no more.

Their somber rememberances were broken by the sound of giggling from the rose arbors close by.

“I know boys like you, Connor Giles,” came Dawn Summer’s melodic voice, “you speak poetry and devotion, but……”

Buffy giggled and Jennifer rolled her eyes, “Connor Giles,” she called out firmly, “show yourself young man!” The youngest Giles appeared, head bowed in embarrassment, Dawn Summers close behind. Her head was held high and proud.

“Your son, Mrs. Giles,” Dawn chuckled, “is a poet at heart. He recites Shakespeare. Did you know that?”

Buffy was appalled, “Dawn Lee Summers!” she hissed, “how dare you talk to Mrs. Giles like that?”

Jennifer began to chuckle and it soon turned into delighted laughter, “I’m afraid that my young Connor is entranced by his oldest half brother, William Giles. He’s the real poet, although he’d die of embarrassment if anyone knew that! My Connor is the twin that William never really had, much more so then his full blooded brother Liam, or Angel as we call him. Though,” Mrs. Giles continued, “he’s not much of an angel, really.”

Buffy began to laugh along with the older woman and noticed that Connor shot her little sister a wistful glance. ‘Oh, brother,’ thought Buffy, ‘poor Connor just got hit by a bolt of Dawnie lightning!’

All too soon, it was time for Buffy to leave with her escorts and begin her new life in Wyoming. Hank Summers, right up unto the end tried to convince his Buffy to stay in Tennessee, with them, but she’d made up her mind to go and nothing was going to stop her. They stood at the little Greenville train station, Summers’ family and Giles family, one clan saying goodbye, the other stealing away the pride of the County.

Buffy heard her Mother, pleading, graciously of course, with Jennifer and Rupert Giles to protect her little girl; Hank Summers was oddly silent. Next to Buffy, young Connor was stammering some kind of wish that Dawn was also going with them to Wyoming.

Surprisingly, Buffy’s little Sis, Dawnie pouted longingly, “well, Connor,” she whispered, “I’d like to go sometime to see Buffy and Wyoming, but….”

Buffy stared at Dawn, wistfully, “maybe, when I’m situated, Dawnie,” she murmered, brushing the taller brunette’s hair from her face, “you can come out, for a visit?”

The eldest Summer’s girl thought she heard her Father say something like ‘over my dead body,’ but she chose to ignore it. They finally said their goodbyes and not for the first time, Buffy had to wonder what she had gotten herself into.


As they pulled away from the Greenville Train Station, Jennifer clasped Buffy’s hand in her own, “it’ll be okay, Buffy, I promise. Wyoming is kind of scary, I’ll give it that, but with the right attitude, a pioneer’s spirit and strong outlook, you’ll do just fine.”

Buffy nodded and watched the familiar Greenville scenery pass by and then finally pass out of sight.

“Have I told you about all of the Gile’s clan,” Jenny piped up, glancing at Rupert Giles who had been fairly quiet for a the whole Gile’s visit. He finally looked remotely interested as he nodded warmly at his wife.

“Of course,” Jenny began, spritely, “you know that my husband was married before, sadly his poor wife Olive died, in child birth. The baby fortunately lived, that’s William who has an older sister Drusilla. She’s married to Lord Wesley Smythe-Rhys and they are on an extended visit with us! I know you’ll just love our Drusilla! William of course is his Father’s son, well, kind of anyway. The locals in Cheyenne call him ‘Spike’ which is kind of a long story in itself, one like your own nickname’s tale. But, we’ll let Spike tell you that story, or someone else for that matter. He’s twenty-two and looks a lot like his Father, fair, blue-eyed and very intelligent.”

Buffy thought that Jennifer winked at her husband Rupert, who seemed to wink back at his dark eyed wife, but she passed if off as nervousness. “Our sons together, Connor,” Jenny continued, “and Liam or Angel as we like to call him, are dark haired and brown-eyed. They’re good children, all of them, in their own ways,” Jennifer smiled, “I think you’re going to like them and Cheyenne, dear.”

Buffy tried not to be too overwhelmed by Jenny’s admissions. ‘Wow,’ she thought, ‘a daughter married to an English Lord, a son that everyone calls ‘Spike!’ another one named Angel? And young Connor, who seems to have swept my darling little sister off her feet?’

This was a lot for Buffy Summers to digest in one sitting, good thing it was almost a thousand miles to the Wyoming Territory and all of this excitement!

“Ms. Summers,” Rupert Giles broke into her thoughts politely, “we’ve made arrangements for you to stay at the Mayor’s home, with his wife and three young children for the time being. Of course, we would have loved to have you stay at our ranch, but with three single males. Well, it wouldn’t have been appropriate, for your reputation, of course.”

Buffy smiled warmly at the handsome older gentleman, “of course, Mr. Giles,” she agreed, “my reputation is important and I respect your decision in this matter.”