Chapter 15

Buffy had been home for about a month and was enjoying mother hood but every now and again she would look at Toby and want to break down crying at the injustice of it all. Spike was coming by less and less as the time for them to go starting getting closer. In 2 months she would be able to go back to him but apart of her was having trouble dealing with the idea that it would be a year and a half and he could have moved on, or be somewhere else or the worst thought that he could be dead.

Toby looked so much like them it was scary, she had thought that Dawn had looked like them but to see Toby it was an understatement. He had a tuff of brown curls like Dawn had but his eyes were the exact same shade as Buffy’s and as much as she had wished they had stayed blue, a part of her was glad because she couldn’t handle looking into those eyes every day for the next two months. He was an interesting child, so quiet when he wanted to be but other times he would scream out in the middle of night not because he was hungry but because he wanted to be cuddled. She would sometimes creep up to his crib after patrolling and stare at him while he slept watching as he dreamt whatever babies dream.

Dawn sometimes caught her doing this but always kept it to herself, trying not to rock the boat too much in the last months she had. At night Dawn would find herself trying to keep the tears at bay and sometimes she would sneak into Buffy’s room early hours in the morning and cuddle up with her. They both treasured these moments knowing that they wouldn’t be having them much longer.

#### 2 months later

Buffy heard Willow chanting as she held Toby closer to her and hugged Dawn before standing at the railing of the old library and staring down at the swirling mass of energy. She looked a little perplexed and turned to Willow and said “This won’t kill us will it?” Willow smiled and tried not cry and said “No it only looks like that because it is a tear between the two realities.” She nodded and went over to Xander and said “ Thanks for being here Xander”. He shrugged and looked at Toby and said “Just because I don’t want you going to him doesn’t mean I am not going to say goodbye to my best friend.” Buffy smiled and gave him a hug carefully not waking Toby up. It was 5 minutes to midnight and she wasn’t allowed to go through for another 5 minutes so she was saying goodbye.

She went to Giles next and felt the tears come down her face as she said “You will always be a dad to me Giles.” He smiled softly and brought her into his arms carefully minding the baby. He said “I am proud of you Buffy no matter what you have done, just remember that.” She smiled and went to Willow who was very red eyed by now and trying not to look at her. She smiled and said “Dawn”, dawn came over and took Toby off her so she could hug Willow properly. Willow clung and said “I’m so sorry Buffy”. She shook her head and said “No, don’t be, you at least got to see my son, and I got to say goodbye properly. I love you Wills”. She smiled and hugged her again and said “Look after that babes of yours, I love you Buff”. Buffy smiled and walked over to her sister who was staring down at the babies face trying to avoid the inevitable. Buffy took Toby off her and brought her face up to meet hers and said “I love you Dawn.” Dawn looked into Buffy eyes and threw her arms around her and said “I don’t want you to go. You’re my sister.” Buffy hugged her and said “And I always will be, I am proud of you Dawn and I am sure mom would be too.”

Buffy stepped back and took one last look at her friends before walking towards the swirling mass of energy. With one last look Buffy and Toby walked through the portal leaving behind the world where they were born.