6 - Follow the Leader

~I will never follow you - I no longer have to hide~
(Nirvana, You Know You’re Right)

When we’re younger we have the most fun games in the world. We gather all of our friend or maybe even just one, that one special friend that we can call our own. Follow the leader. One who leads the way, through obstacles and around bends, fighting off the bad guys, perhaps a thorny rosebush.

Now, it was the inner children who liked to arise.

Never able to patrol alone, Buffy was constantly followed. Leading the way through a tombstone filled cemetery, around trees and into crypts, fighting off the bad vampires, perhaps a horny vampire.

Why her? Couldn’t he choose to follow someone else? What was so damn special about her anyway? She wasn’t a miraculous creature at all, just a normal girl. At least that’s how she wanted to be seen. No such luck.

Why did she have to have him as a tag along? Couldn’t he go and hide like a good little vampire? Never in a thousand years. The day he became a real vampire would be the day that the Hell Mouth would freeze over. Knowing Buffy’s luck, that would absolutely never happen and she would be damned the slayer for the rest of eternity with immortal life, stuck there, with him.

Sometimes it didn’t bother her thought. She liked the company. Even when he said he would stop following her, he was always back the next night. It made her feel special--to an extent of course. It’s not exactly a cozy feeling to have a vampire lurking behind you all the time.

She would never forget those days though. As long as she lived. Not ever. Because she would always be the leader which is why she always survived. And he would always be the follower, dead or alive.