The police and an ambulance came quickly to the house. The police found Angel's body on the front lawn, the gun gripped in his hand. Spike had put it there to make sure everyone knew who the aggressor was.

Willow and Xander had arrived home, shaken and concerned. But Buffy felt incredible relief. Her throat hurt like hell, but it was over. She'd heard the loud scream from Angel, followed by the tinkling of glass.

Buffy was taken to the hospital to make sure there was nothing seriously wrong. There was only bruising and swelling around her throat and her lip was cut, other than that she was fine. No permanent damage had been done, thankfully.

The following week was filled with statements to police and reporters hungry for the story. Buffy was told that she was obviously the victim and no charges would be brought against her.


Buffy was worried. She hadn't seen Spike since the night Angel attacked her. Every night she waited for him to appear, only to drift off to sleep after several hours.

One night, Buffy was wandering around the ballroom, thinking about him and how wonderful it would be to dance with him here. Suddenly the lights went low, the glittering ball cast diamonds of light in the room. She looked around for who had done it. A delighted smile lit her face when she saw Spike standing a few feet away.

"Hello, cutie." Spike smirked.

"Spike!" Buffy went to him. "I was so worried. Why did you --"

Spike held up a finger and pressed it lightly to her lips. He looked at her with love in his eyes.

"Want to dance?" he asked.

Buffy smiled and nodded, wondering if they could.

"Check this out, just like the Fonz." Spike curled his tongue behind his teeth and snapped his fingers.

The beginning of 'Into the Mystic' by Van Morrison began playing over the speakers, filling the room with the strains of the guitar. Buffy giggled and put her arms up around his neck, being careful not to rest them there, lest they pass through him again.

Spike enfolded her in his arms, he was solid enough to hold her gently. They closed their eyes as they swayed.

We were born before the wind
Also younger than the sun
Ere the bonnie boat was won as we sailed into the mystic


"I missed you," Buffy whispered.

Spike swallowed a lump in his throat. "I missed you too, pet. I'm so...relieved that you're okay."

"I am. I'm fine. He didn't hurt me that bad."

"Let's not talk about him...or anything right now," Spike said softly. "I just want to enjoy this."

Buffy sighed and leaned into him as much as possible.

Hark, now hear the sailors cry
Smell the sea and feel the sky
Let your soul and spirit fly into the mystic

And when that fog horn blows I will be coming home
And when that fog horn blows I want to hear it
I don't have to fear it

I want to rock your gypsy soul
Just like way back in the days of old
Then magnificently we will float into the mystic


"I never want to be apart from you again," Buffy said, brushing her fingertips over the back of his neck.

Spike didn't respond, just kept dancing slowly.

And when that fog horn blows you know I will be coming home
And when that fog horn whistle blows I got to hear it
I don't have to fear it

I want to rock your gypsy soul
Just like way back in the days of old
And together we will float into the mystic
Come on, girl...


As the music faded. Spike pulled back to look in her eyes.

"I love you, Buffy."

"I love you, too," she replied.

There was a sadness in his eyes that she didn't like.

"What's wrong?" Buffy asked.

"I have to go," Spike said thickly.

"Wh-What do you mean?"

"The others went through already... I'm the last one. They're calling for me."

"I still don't know what you're saying!" But part of her did. His death was avenged, everyone knew what had happened at Lawson Manor that night. There was no more secrecy, no more cover-ups. Justice had been served.

A brilliant light illuminated the ballroom in the form of a portal. Buffy and Spike looked into it. A female shape walked to the edge and held out her hand. It was Darla, smiling beatifically at Spike.

"It's time, Spike. Come home," Darla said, her voice gentle and soft.

"No... No, don't go..." Buffy mumbled, her eyes filling with tears.

Spike looked back at her, his eyes wet as well. "It's not my choice. I have to go."

"But..." Buffy sobbed. The right thing to do was to let him go without a big weepy display, she knew it. She hated it...but she knew it. Spike deserved to rest and be at peace after so many years of wandering.

"I'll always love you," Spike said, pressing a soft kiss to her lips. "Be happy, pet. Live for both of us...as long as one of us is living, it‘s okay."

Spike backed away from her towards the portal. He was surrounded by the heavenly light, looking more beautiful than he ever had. Her vision blurred, fat tears rolled down her face.

"I love you!" Buffy wept.

Spike entered the portal, reaching out to take Darla's offered hand, then kissing her on the cheek.

Spike looked to her one last time. "I love you, too," he said with a bittersweet smile.

Part of Spike was grateful that he'd finally be able to 'rest in peace,’ to go on to his ultimate reward. But a bigger part wanted nothing more than to stay with his love. The fact remained, he didn't have a choice. The light, the peace and tranquility, drew him in like a magnet.

"I'll..." Buffy sobbed, "never forget you."

"Goodbye, pet. Take care of yourself."

Darla turned and led Spike further into the portal. Their forms began getting smaller as they moved inwards. Buffy saw others, and she was able to make out the forms of: Percy, Ethan, Spike's mother and father (she had seen their pictures in his trunk) and other people she didn't know. She felt an enormous amount of love and joy coming from them.

Then as quickly as it came, the portal disappeared, closing in on itself with a *whoosh*.

Buffy sank to her knees and lowered her head. Xander and Willow (who had been watching in dumbstruck amazement, attracted by the brilliant light of the portal coming from the ballroom) rushed to her side.

"Buffy, are you okay?" Willow asked.

"He's gone," Buffy said in despair, her voice cracking. "I've lost him forever..."