Her lungs were burning.

When did she stop breathing?

She turned her head, but her eyes were shut tight.

It was her mind, her imagination.

He wouldn't be there when she opened her eyes and her heart would shatter all over again.

Her lips trembled and tears escaped her tightly sealed eyes making their way down her cheeks.

Why did she torment herself like this? Why did she- "Buffy."

Her eyes snapped open when a gentle hand brushed her tears away. Her breathing was erratic, her eyes were wide and unbelieving. She shook her head and sucked in harsh breaths.

It couldn't be real. He couldn't be real. She was dreaming, she was hallucinating, she was- "Love?"

He was real.

He pulled her to him before she could hit the ground and cried as she clung to him. Her nails dug into his skin and he couldn't breath, but he didn't care. He pulled her face from his neck so she could breath, already on the verge of hyperventalating. Her whole body was shaking with sobs and she clung to him, crying and laughing with joy.

He was back.


*What did I do... to deserve you?*


She clung to him, tears streaming down her face.

She couldn't let him go. Not again. This couldn't be a dream, it was too real. But what if it was? What if--

"Please, please God... Please don't let me be dreaming..."

"You're not dreaming, love." He pulled her face away and looked into her eyes, smiling at the love he found there.

He was here, he was standing in front of her, holding her, gazing at her with eyes that haunted her. There was so much to say, so much she needed to tell him, but the words wouldn't come.

Everything she had planned, nights she lay awake thinking of the words she would say to him- They weren't enough.

They were nothing, no where close to what he deserved to hear.

"Buffy? You alright, love?" He smoothed a soft hand across her cheek and in that one touch, she was healed.

Her battered heart was healed.

And it was his.

She needed to tell him, needed to show him-

"Love?'

But the words still wouldn't come. She nodded her head and a smile blossomed across her face.

And he knew.

She drew him back into her arms and just held him, savoring the feel of his body against hers. She never thought she would get to do this, never thought he would be back, what did she do to deserve him?

Fresh tears started and he pulled back to wipe them away.

"Let's get you back, yeah?"

She smiled and nodded her head, clutching him to her as he turned to make his way down the hill.

He slowed when he felt her stop and turned back to see her gazing to the sky.

"Sweetheart?"

She turned to look at him and her heart skipped a beat, he was really here.

Looking back toward the sky, she felt a tear slide down her cheek.

She had never done anything to deserve this, she doubted she ever would, but-

"Thank you."

The stars twinkled as she turned back to him, giving him a smile before letting him lead her down the small hill.

"You shoulda seen the look on Ole' Rupes face when he opened that door. Priceless..."