The following Monday, Buffy was on a mission to find Willow before school started so she could apologize. When she found her friend by her locker, she took a deep breath and stopped to stand beside her.

“Hi,” she said quietly, nervous to see if Willow would even talk to her. The redhead looked at her and smiled slightly.

“Hi, Buffy,” she replied. “What can I do for you?”

“I’m sorry for what I said to you the morning after Homecoming,” Buffy said, looking down. “I know that everyone’s been worried about me, and I guess I just got pushed too far and exploded. I’m sorry I took it out on you, and I know that you worry about me… and I’m grateful that I have a friend like you, Willow.” She looked at her again. “Are we still friends?”

“Of course, silly,” Willow said, smiling. “I’ve just been waiting for you to come to your senses.” Buffy smiled before playfully punching her friend in the arm. “I forgive you. I guess if I had people talking to me like Spike and I were to you, I would’ve gone crazy, too. I should’ve approached things better, and I’m sorry that you thought I was against you and didn’t support you. I always have, and I’ll continue to stand beside you until you tell me to bug off. Okay?” Buffy giggled and hugged her friend.

“Thank you,” she said quietly. “You don’t know how much that means to me.” Willow smiled and looked at her watch.

“Come on, let’s head to class,” she said, and Buffy nodded.

As the girls walked down the hallway together, Spike watched them as he stood by Drusilla at her locker. He couldn’t help but smile when he saw that they were back to talking again.

‘I wonder if stubborn Buffy finally apologized for treating Red so horribly,’ he thought before Riley’s voice interrupted his thoughts.

“You going to class, man?” he asked. Spike nodded and followed him, even though all he wanted to do at that moment was to go after Buffy and talk to her again.

‘I got through to her Friday night,’ he thought. ‘That was progress, but I’m not going to ease off until everything returns to normal. It has to.’

* * * * *

Time slowly passed, and Buffy began to patch up the relationships she had ignored while somewhat distancing herself from always spending time with Angelus or Faith on the weekends. Spike even went out of his way to see her sometimes. He didn’t mention Drusilla and Buffy never brought her up, but she’s heard the rumors circulating that they had broken up.

It was on one particular night during the first week of December when Spike went to Buffy’s house to watch movies with her, a reminder of how they used to be when they were still dating. While she poured popcorn into a bowl, he grabbed sodas for them and watched her, noticing how happy she seemed to be.

“What’s going on in that mind of yours, kitten?” he asked, smiling. She looked at him. “I haven’t seen you this happy in a long time.” She shrugged.

“I don’t know,” she replied. “Things just seem to be going right for me. My grades are getting better, I’m back to wearing comfortable clothes all of the time, things are going well with my friends and Angelus, Mom and I don’t fight as much anymore…my life’s getting better.”

“Glad to hear it,” he said, smiling at her. “Now, aren’t you happy that Red and I stepped in?”

“Trying to take all of the credit, eh?” she asked jokingly, playfully slapping his hand when he tried to take some of the popcorn she was holding. He pouted, and she smirked at him before going to the living room and sitting on the couch. Spike sat beside her and put their sodas on the table in front of them.

“So, what’s the flick tonight?” he asked, looking at her. She giggled and grabbed the remote. “What?”

“It’s a surprise,” she said, pressing the “Play” button. His eyes widened as the opening credits for “Casper” began to roll across the screen. She laughed at him, seeing his priceless facial expression.

“No bloody way,” he finally said, trying to grab the remote. “I’m not watching this.”

“Yes you are,” she said, putting the remote on the table. “Please? I haven’t watched it in such a long time.”

“Last Halloween,” he said quietly, looking at her. She nodded, sighing. “You were the hottest cheerleader I’ve ever seen.” She blushed and looked at the TV. He smiled at the memory and grabbed his soda. “You know, you’re the only person who knows that I like this movie.” She looked at him.

“Not even Drusilla?” she asked, somewhat surprised as he turned to look at her.

“Not even Drusilla,” he confirmed. “Only you.” Their eyes locked for a moment before turning back to the TV.

* * * * *

“So, who wants hot chocolate?” Joyce asked minutes after the movie ended. Spike indiscreetly wiped off his eyes and smiled when Buffy handed him a Kleenex with a playful smirk on her face.

“I’d love some,” he said. “With mini-marshmallows?” She smiled warmly and walked to the kitchen. “So, why is it that Joyce doesn’t seem like she wants to kill me anymore?”

“Because I told her to give you a chance again,” Buffy shrugged. “I figure since we’re trying the friends thing again, she might as well be civil to you.” He nodded and heard her cell phone ring, sitting on the table. She grabbed it and looked to see who the caller was, before making a face and choosing not to answer it.

“Who was it, luv?” he asked curiously. She looked at him.

“Just Angelus,” she answered. “I’ll call him later.” He smiled and looked down. Joyce came in with two mugs of hot chocolate and handed them to the two teenagers.

“Well, I think I’m going to head upstairs,” she said. “But it was nice seeing you again, Spike. Have a good night, you two.”

“Good night,” they both said in unison before looking at each other and smiling. Joyce laughed and walked upstairs.

“So, are you taking the pathetic poof to the Christmas Dance?” Spike asked casually, looking at the mini-marshmallows on the surface of his hot chocolate.

“Yeah, why?” she answered, blowing on the steaming liquid in her mug.

“Just wanted to know, is all,” he replied. “Insuring that you had a date.” She looked at him.

“Why? Were you going to ask me?” she giggled. “I don’t think Dru would like that.” He frowned. “Although, she took you away from me at last year’s dance, so I don’t see why I can’t return the favor this year.”

“Buffy,” he said in a soft tone as she smiled at him, but found that he couldn’t voice what he was thinking.

“I know, I know,” she replied. “I wouldn’t do such a thing.”

‘Even though sometimes I think I’d really like to,’ she thought.

“Speaking of Dru,” Buffy began. “Where is she tonight? I’m surprised she didn’t want you for herself.”

“I wouldn’t know,” he answered. “It’s nice to kick back with old friends, isn’t it?” She looked at him, seeing the sparkle in her eyes.

“Yeah,” she agreed. “It really is.”