Chapter 22 – Happily Ever After…Eventually



A/N Some of this dialogue belongs to Joss Whedon.



“What do you think?” Spike asked, closing his eyes as Buffy snuggled closer to him. Their interlaced hands rested on her shoulder as her back leaned into his chest, enjoying the cool night air as they sat on the porch swing, enjoying a few stolen moments of peace.

“What do I think of what?” Buffy asked, turning to look at him.

“The family,” he replied, gesturing toward the house.

“They’re amazing,” Buffy said with a smile, sighing when Spike’s other arm wrapped around her waist, holding her even closer.

“Yeah,” he agreed, pressing a soft kiss to the top of her head. “How would you feel about becoming a member?”

“What?” Buffy asked, pulling away to look at him in shock. Feeling her breathing escalate as Spike reached into his pocket and extracted a small velvet box, opening it with one hand. She suddenly felt the need to gasp for air, seeing the huge cushion-cut diamond resting on a platinum band, her eyes slowly moved upward until she was staring at Spike.

“Well?” he asked with a smile that quickly faded when Buffy slapped him in the chest. “Can I take that as a ‘maybe’?” he asked, suddenly looking worried.

“You're proposing to me!”

“Yes,” Spike said slowly, his brows knit together as he studied her.

“Why?”

“Because I love you,” he said softly, his face suddenly worried.

“But you’re a rock star.”

“You’ve known that for a while, luv,” he replied, getting more worried with each passing moment.

“And you’re proposing to me because you think it’s the thing you should do, and you think it’s all romantic and sexy and, and you know you’re not gonna have to go through with it because-”

“I’m proposing to you, Buffy, because I want to be with you forever. You’re not some conquest on my to-do list of who I want to divorce. You’re the one. The only one.”

“You can't know that,” she whispered, her eyes suddenly drawn back to the ring as she bit her lip, hoping he would prove her wrong.

“I believe it,” he said softly. “I think we’re going to get through this and anything else that might be thrown in our way. I think I’m going to live a long and healthy life and I’m not interested in doing that without you around.”

“Oh,” Buffy said with a soft smile.

“Oh?” he asked, his voice filled with uncertainty.

“Yes,” she whispered. “I mean, yes.”

Bright smiles came across both their faces as they looked at the ring. Hesitantly reaching for her hand, Spike pulled the ring from its velvet cushion before he heard Buffy’s voice.

“No.”

“No?” he repeated, slightly deflated, looking at her with fear in his eyes.

“After,” she said softly. “Give it to me when you’ve been sober for a year…because I’ll still be here.”

Smiling slightly, Spike tucked the ring back in his pocket, relaxing when Buffy put her arms around his neck and gave him a soft kiss.

“I love you,” she whispered against his lips.

“Love you, too, baby,” he said with a smile, holding her close. “Ready to go in?” he asked after a few more minutes.

“Yeah,” she murmured, standing and pulling him to his feet, never letting herself lose contact with him.

* * * * *

Walking around Spike’s childhood room, Buffy couldn’t help but smile. Carefully picking up one of the many trophies from a shelf, she held it up to read the inscription. Giggling softly, she shook her head before turning to look at Spike, seeing him comfortably sitting on the edge of the bed. “Will, why does it say ‘Most Valuable Football Player’?”

“Because it was a football trophy, pet,” he replied with a smile.

“A football trophy with a soccer ball and the word soccer has been crossed out with magic marker and replaced with ‘football’?”

“Bloody Americans,” he muttered. “The rest of the soddin’ world calls it football, but you yanks have to go and rename it something else, just to call rugby football.”

Biting her lip to keep from laughing, Buffy put the trophy back in place, walking over to the bed and slowly straddling Spike’s lap. “What can I say?” she replied with a smile, letting her hands clasp behind his neck. “We like to be original.”

“With names like ‘Buffy’, you’d have to be,” Spike replied, trying to keep from smiling at the look of indignation that crossed her face.

“Hey!” she cried, sitting up straighter. “You’re one to talk, Spike!”

“At least that was a nickname for me. What’s your excuse?” Seeing the pout that was playing on her bottom lip, Spike gave her a gentle smile. “Now, luv, I was only kidding.”

“You do realize that you’ve lived in this country more than half your life? You’re considered a ‘bloody American’ in spite of the silly accent.”

Flipping her over until she was lying beneath him on the bed, Spike raised an eyebrow. “Silly?” he repeated, leaning forward to her ear. “You didn’t seem to take issue with that when I was whispering little nasties in your ear.”

“I like it better when you’re whispering how much you love me,” she said with a soft smile as Spike pulled back to look at her.

“I love you,” he said with so much feeling and emotion, Buffy felt her heart swell.

“I know you do,” she murmured.

“I’m going to spend the rest of my life making you as happy as you make me.”

Buffy smiled, snuggling closer to him and letting her hand trail along his chest. “Nah,” she said with a slight shake of her head. “I’m unattainable. You really shouldn’t waste your time.”

Spike chuckled, hearing her soft giggle and tenderly kissed her forehead. “I mean it, Buffy.”

“Okay,” she said with a loving smile. “I’m holding you to that.”



THE END




A/N That’s all folks. To everyone who supported this story- thank you so, so, so much! Originally I had another love scene at the end, but after talking to Allison and pj (who I cannot thank enough for their help and suggestions throughout the long course of writing this fic! Make sure you read their stories as well) I decided (with their help and suggestions) that it didn’t fit. It was too soon and they needed to wait. I’m not really much for doing epilogues the way I used to be, so I’m fairly sure this is the end, because I’m proud of it. You all are smart readers and you know things work out in the end :-)

Thanks so much to: Anne, Caatje, spufette, melissa, Cordykitten, Alicia, starhawk, Crystal Pegasus, samica, BuffyandSpikeForever, Bint, gypsy_jin, Franchesca, spikes slayer & dreamgirl4eva for reviewing!