Cordelia shaded her eyes as they strolled along the White Point Gardens. "I think I see them coming Harmony, do dry your eyes, no man wants to see you looking all drippy."

Harmony sniffed and patted delicately with the edge of her handkerchief. "There, do I look better?"

Cordelia looked at her with a critical eye. "Here." She took the handkerchief and gave a few extra dabs to remove the tear stains still on her friend’s face, then gave Harmony’s cheeks a little pinch. "All better, just smile pretty now."

Harmony nodded.

"Do you have your letter ready? You know we won’t be able to talk that long with them before they have to go on."

"Uh-hum, I explained every thing to my Sweetie-poo. He’ll know exactly what to do."

Cordelia admired herself for her restraint at not commenting on Harmony’s odd terms of endearment. "Wonderful, dear. Now perk up, here they are."

The small group of soldiers resplendent in their navy uniforms came to a halt in front of the two girls.

"Good morning ladies, and how are you this fine day?"

"Why Sergeant Graham, we are doing well, and how are you gentlemen? Will you be headed out to work on the fort?"

Graham shook his head. "I’m afraid not Miss Chase. We’ve run out of bricks again. The Captain has run into supply problems, we can’t seem to find a dependable source."

Harmony stepped forward. "Sergeant Graham, where is Lieutenant Finn?" She looked around at the small group as though her beloved might somehow appear.

"Miss Wilkins, I do know the Lieutenant will be sorry to have missed you today." He gave her a small wink, "I know how seeing a pretty lady like you always brightens his day. But he’s been sent upriver by the Captain to see about that new source I mentioned. There’s a plantation owner who has quite a brick-making operation which should give us a steady supply so we can finally get the fort completed."

As he watched Harmony’s face fall and Cordelia put her arm around the crestfallen girl, he stepped closer. "Now Miss Wilkins, don’t look so sad. He’ll be back in a few weeks at most."

Harmony gasped. "A few weeks? I don’t have a few weeks."

Graham looked puzzled and Cordelia motioned him away from the rest of the group that had been standing by.

"Sergeant Graham, it is imperative that we get a message to the Lieutenant as soon as possible." She raised her eyebrows delicately and a look of comprehension crossed Graham’s face. "Oh. Oh. Miss Cordelia, do you have a letter you care for me to pass on?"

"Yes, as soon as you can get it to him. Here Harmony, give me the letter." She grabbed the reticule from the now weeping girl’s hand and dug around until she found the epistle. "Sergeant, the sooner you can get this to him the better. He’s needed here by his family." She raised her eyebrows to emphasize the last word.

Graham nodded in understanding. "Yes ma’am. I know the Lieutenant will be back as soon as possible."

"Thank you Graham. And remember, we need to continue to keep this confidential, for the time."

"Certainly Miss Cordelia, you know you can count on me to maintain this confidence."

"Very well, we’ll let you return to your patrol now."

He nodded and headed back to his men. Cordelia led Harmony off.

"Buck up now dear, you’ve got to be strong. You need this to be done properly and unless you want to tell your father about your elopement without your new husband by your side to support you, you’d best put on a happy face or he’ll suspect something’s wrong."

Harmony nodded and sniffled again as she dug for a fresh handkerchief. "Y-y-you’re r-r-right Cordy. I have to be strong until he comes back. Riley will know what to do."

As Riley had failed to do anything since the secret wedding ceremony during the summer while Harmony had been visiting with her at St. Simon’s Island, Cordelia wasn’t entirely sure she shared Harmony’s confidence in her soldier boy. The squadron headed by Riley had been stationed there for a few months in response to a brief threat from a local slave insurrection, and Cordelia’s father had gladly agreed to house the troops in exchange for the added protection.

Romance had been in the air on those warm, balmy evenings, and Cordelia herself had felt a few small swoons for the handsome young soldiers, but when all was said and done, she’d thought her friend was crazy to actually marry a military man. But Harmony was not to be deterred. They’d managed the secret ceremony without detection, lying about Harmony’s age to the not quite than sober priest who blessed the nuptials.

The honeymoon was cut short by Mr. Wilkins’ unexpected visit to bring her back to Charleston and the pair had begged Cordelia to aid them in hiding the relationship until Riley’s new commission was approved. He insisted the secret marriage would certainly prevent his advancement if known and so the relationship remained clandestine as they awaited the new orders to promote him. While it had been mildly romantic at first, Cordelia was tiring of playing the go between Harmony and her, what was it again, oh yes, Sweetie-poo. Well, it couldn’t go on much longer now. Riley would just have to figure out some way around things.

She patted her friend on the back and took her arm as they progressed down the street, "Yes, dear, I’m sure he’ll make everything alright."

~~~~~~~~~~

Anya looked up from her ledger as she happily balanced the accounts for the month. Business had been brisk of late. She flipped to the next page to continue her entries as a knock at the door broke her concentration.

She looked up with a scowl to see Faith lounging in the doorway. "Yes?"

"Sorry, Anh, I know this is your special time with the books, but your admirer is back."

Anya’s back stiffened perceptibly.

"Well, Faith, go amuse him."

"Anya, believe me, I wouldn’t mind." She grinned. "But he’s not interested. Besides, it’s not working hours for me." She feigned a yawn. "Oh, and he has a picnic basket."

Anya pressed her fingertips to her forehead and suppressed the most unladylike language that threatened to spill from her lips. "Tell him I’m not in."

"Anya, he knows you’re here."

"Well, tell him I am indisposed and cannot see him."

Faith straightened and turned away. "Alright, but Anya?"

"Yes, Faith?"

"How often does a man ask one of us out to lunch, no strings?"

Anya refused to turn around. "Oh there are strings, Faith, they’re just a little more transparent than the ones we’re used to."

Faith shrugged and headed back to the main parlor. "Mr. Harris? I am so sorry, but Madam Anya is rather indisposed at the moment and cannot see you." She actually felt a little twinge as she watched his face fall.

"I really am very sorry. I can give her a message if you like? Or is there anything I can help you with, Xander?" She turned on the seductive purr that seemed effective for most of her customers and slunk a little closer. "I certainly enjoyed getting to know you earlier," she breathed as she sank onto the sofa next to him, a shade too close for propriety.

She was surprised to see the sadness and wait, was that pity in his expression? She nearly flinched as he gently patted the hand that rested on his arm in an almost fraternal gesture.

"That’s very kind of you Faith, and you are a very . . . gifted woman. I just wanted a chance to get to know her, that’s all."

She bit her lip as he rose, picked up the now useless basket, and started for the door before turning back. "Here, would you like some lunch?"

He thrust the gift at her and was out the door before she could blink. She stared as the careful even weaving of the basket and sighed. She’d seen men look at her with desire, with lust of every kind, even with a love sick puppy-like affection. But she’d never had a man look at her with the kind of need she’d just seen on the face of Xander Harris.

Anya was a fool.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Buffy, wait, could I speak with you for a moment?"

Buffy turned from the door that led outside to the kitchen. "Certainly Xander, what can I help you with?"

He looked around for a moment and then motioned towards the dining room. "How about we have some breakfast? This could take a few minutes."

She glanced at the watch pinned to her dress. He was right, she’d in fact been on her way to check on the progress of the meal when Xander had caught her. And William would be joining them soon enough, he was still insistent they breakfast together every morning so she could keep him up to date on how things were running.

She’d thought at first that it had to be a ruse of some sort, but now, more than two weeks later, he remained polite and respectful, and she’d felt herself relax around him a bit. Not that he didn’t give her a look every now and then which made her feel as though he was imagining how she looked without her chemise.

Those looks always brought a blush to her face and, on days when she was more honest with herself, a slight feminine thrill of satisfaction that he seemed to find her attractive in that way. Such contemplation was always followed by the appropriate guilt, but it was still …nice. She sighed as she seated herself. Maybe Anya was right, maybe she really was slipping fast into confirmed old maid-dom despite her marriage to Angel, if a brief glance from a kind man generated such wild imaginings.

"How are you Xander?"

He toyed with the napkin in front of him and started to speak until the door opened smoothly and Dawn entered carrying the first tray of the breakfast dishes.

Buffy observed his anxious demeanor and changed the subject as she watched his eyes flicker to the young girl. Oh dear, what was he going to ask her?

"My but it does look as though we’ll be having rain sometime this week, don’t you think?"

He nodded and continued to make idle chitchat about the prospects of the weather and how that might affect their shipment schedule until Dawn completed carrying in the dishes. Buffy gave her a smile and a nod.

"That will do Dawnie, thank you. Would you care to go to market with me before I leave today?"

Dawn nodded eagerly and dropped the curtsey they’d worked on as she turned and left the room. Buffy turned back to Xander.

"Alright Mr. Harris, now you really have my attention. Why are you so off balance?"

He sighed. "Women, isn’t that always the reason?"

She stifled a giggle. "Well, not in my personal experience, but very well, I’ll help if I can."

He carefully ladled the contents of one steaming bowl onto his plate. "You are friends with Madam Anya? William told me you were close."

Buffy stifled a small smile. She’d suspected this was where he was going.

"Yes, we are, after a fashion. Our lives are very different, but we’ve become friends."

The brown eyes regarded her closely. "Can you tell me more about her?"

"That depends on why you want to know."

He leaned back in his chair. "I suppose that’s a fair question. I would like to get to know her."

"I’m afraid you’ll have to do better than that, Mr. Harris."

"Very well. Madam Anya intrigues me. She’s not like other women I’ve encountered. I admire her forthrightness and I also think she’s very beautiful."

Her direct gaze pinned him as she calmly sipped her tea. "Are you looking for a mistress, Xander? Because I can assure you that you’ll get nowhere if that’s your intention. Anya has worked very hard to get where she is and to become a businesswoman. I know she won’t let another man take that away from her."

There was a sharp edge to her voice that made Xander suspect her comments were broader than just Anya, but he was certainly reading the message loud and clear.

"What if I told you that was not my intention Miss Buffy? What if I told you my intentions were of a more honorable persuasion?"

She sat the cup of tea she’d been holding down and leaned forward. "Don’t play games Mr. Harris. Anya’s been a whore on the streets of this city since she was barely fourteen. She’s bedded countless men, including many of the gentlemen you do business with every day. She was fortunate with her last patron who set her up with the brothel, but it doesn’t change the fact that she’s not a respectable member of society. Do you really expect me to believe you’d contemplate marriage to someone with a past like that?"

He leaned forward as well. "In fact I would, Mrs. Crawford. What do you know about me?"

Her brow furrowed as she looked at him puzzled. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, what do you really know about me?"

"Well, you’re William’s business partner, obviously wealthy, you’ve been kind to me . . ." She trailed off. "Very well, point taken. I know very little about you."

"I dress like a gentleman, and may speak like one now, but my roots aren’t that far from where Madam Anya’s are, if you understand what I’m saying, Mrs. Crawford."

She nodded. "Forgive me for presuming then Xander. It’s just, this city can be quite hard on outsiders."

"I’m well aware. That doesn’t change the fact I would like the chance to draw my own conclusions. Perhaps we’ll hate one another. Perhaps not. However, I’ll never know if she won’t see me. And that’s where I need your help."

Buffy regarded him thoughtfully. "Very well. I assume you’ve called on her and run into the no social visits rule?"

"On a few occasions now."

"Would you care to have an early dinner at my home tomorrow night, Mr. Harris?"

His face lit up. "Why yes I would."

"Very well then. And don’t be surprised if there are additional guests."

"I won’t. Thank you Buffy."

"You’re welcome. And don’t disappoint my trust in you here."

"Wouldn’t dream of it." He glanced at the small clock ticking on the mantle. "I’d best be off." He pushed back from the table and started for the door, before pausing briefly. "I assume William is invited as well?"

Buffy swallowed. Having William over as a guest, even as an additional buffer while she played matchmaker was probably a mistake, further blurring the line of this arrangement they had. There was really no polite way to refuse however.

"Of course, I’ll invite him as well when he comes. Have a nice day Xander."

He flashed her a final grin as he exited the door, "You too, Miss Buffy."

William frowned as his partner gave him a thump on the back as he hurried down the hallway. What on earth had gotten into the man at this early hour? He entered the doorway to find Buffy still toying with her food as she waited on him.

"Xander seems quite elated." He peered closely and noticed her flushed cheeks. Surely not. "You wouldn’t have anything to do with that now would you?"

She poured him a cup of tea without meeting his eyes and passed it to him before responding. "I’m afraid I have. I believe you and I are about to play matchmaker."