Chapter 10

"Mate, you’re gonna wear a hole in the carpet if you keep pacing like that."

Xander stopped and glared at the patterned rug beneath his feet.

"Sorry, just nervous."

William watched as he unconsciously resumed pacing, step, step, step, to the window, pause, look out, turn and step, step, step, back towards the fire place.

"Clearly so, why are you so het up over this chit anyway?"

Xander turned, at last finding something to occupy him. "Because she’s beautiful, and smart and independent and I think I want to marry her."

William started to laugh until he realized Xander was not joining in.

"You can’t be serious? You know what she is. You can’t marry a girl like that. Your reputation would be worthless in this town, it’s not like she’s some sort of well-kept secret."

He stood up and clapped a hand on his friend’s back. "Come now, have a fling with her if you want, scratch the itch, but don’t do anything you’ll regret."

Xander turned to him, a cold look on his face as he shook off his best friend’s hand and moved away before replying. "Oh, better I should contract myself out to marry some girl I can’t stand to be around instead of trying to find someone I’d actually want to spend the rest of my life with?"

William stepped back as if Xander’s words had physically struck him.

"I understand what you’re saying Will, and don’t think I don’t appreciate your concern. But I wasn’t raised to care about what people thought. I didn’t come here hell bent on starting a family and some sort of dynasty like you. When I tie the knot, it needs to be for more than connections, a name, or money."

He looked deep into the fireplace. "This . . . thing with Anya, it was unexpected. I know it’s crazy and problematic and not likely to be easy. I know she has a past. But there’s something about her, Will, that makes me want to stop wandering and finally settle down. Cupid’s quite the humorist, isn’t he? A whore’s son falling for a whore?"

He looked away from the fire and met William’s gaze squarely. "Marrying her would be quite a step. I know people would talk. So if I’m going to pursue this, it has to be because I love her, with a soul-deep, burning, consuming love."

William sat down stunned and watched his friend move restlessly to the mantle. "Who knew you were a poet, Xander?"

He snorted. "Hardly. That’s you my friend, don’t think I haven’t seen that stuff in your journal."

"Hey now, what you doing snooping in my journal?" William looked up indignantly.

"Looking for the quarterly reports on your desk. Is effulgent even a word?"

"Yes it is. Bloody hard to rhyme though." William looked at his friend closely. "So do you really love her?"

Xander shrugged. "I don’t know. But there’s a spark there. There’s something and I need to see if it’s mutual. Hence the near stalking and badgering of Buffy to assist in this endeavor."

"And you understand that such a relationship will hurt your reputation here? You can’t make her a lady just by marrying her you know."

"Will, you think I don’t know all of this? I’ve tried and tried to put her out of my mind. I can’t. So I’m prepared to court her, to see where this will lead, and to carry it through to the conclusion."

William nodded. One thing he’d learned about Xander over the years, he was somewhat like a dog with a bone when he seized upon something and not much would change his mind until he determined to let go. Protests would do no good, he could only offer his support now. Perhaps Anya would be as wise as she seemed and discourage his attentions. Or maybe Xander was by far the smarter man.

"Well, you have my best wishes, Xan. I guess you know this won’t be easy, but I’ll support you, if she’s what you want."

"Thank you, that means the world to me. Oh, and Will?"

"Yeah?"

"If you were to ever change your mind about those permits, it’d be okay. I know we’ve invested a lot here, but there are other harbors. Or we can divide the fleet."

William shook his head. "It’s practically a done deal, mate. I’m not worried about it though." He ignored the cold lump that settled in his stomach as he looked around the small sitting room he doubted he’d be able to visit as often once the marriage was carried through. No, he wasn’t worried, just resigned.

Xander looked at him with something akin to pity. "If you say so. Just, if you do, I’ll understand."

A small knock at the door interrupted further conversation as Fred appeared and invited the gentleman to join the ladies in the dining room.

~~~~~~~~~~

Anya looked over at Willow who had a gleeful grin on her face, at the smiling Tara and at Buffy who was trying to avoid eye contact. The invitation to join them for an early dinner had not been that unusual, but there was clearly something afoot here. She seated herself at her usual place and her eyes narrowed.

"Buffy. Why are there two extra places set at the table?"

Buffy swallowed. Maybe making this a surprise dinner party had not been the best idea. But how else would she have convinced Anya to come? She’d have merely ranted and raved about men and their . . . parts . . . and how that was all they thought with, though Anya tended towards more colorful euphemisms to express the sentiment. Which given her chosen profession seemed a logical assumption, but Xander had seemed so sincere. If Anya could only have heard his impassioned plea to her, surely she’d give him a chance.

"Anya, we’re having some additional dinner guests." She paused as she caught the sound of footsteps in the hallway. "And here they are now, so please, be nice."

Anya looked at Willow and Tara and realized the traitors were part and parcel to this deception. The door swung open and to her total lack of surprise revealed William Montgomery and Alexander Harris.

"Good evening ladies, Miss Buffy, Miss Willow, Miss Tara, Miss Anya." William moved to greet the hostess and smirked a little at Buffy’s greater then usual stiffness at him saluting her hand.

Liked to play matchmaker, but clearly was opposed to any attention herself. He sighed. Xander’s words had really struck home. He was selling his soul for a permit, for money and a name. And the prospect of something more was rapidly fading away. He’d learned enough about Buffy as time passed to know his early hopes of enticing her into an improper relationship were never going to come to fruition.

She was in many ways unconventional and flouted society, but she had a very strict code for herself, perhaps because of her other deviations from proper behavior. He knew she would never be his mistress. And he lacked the freedom to offer her the more formal arrangement he wished he could. So he’d have to content himself with her friendship.

His understanding for what his father had faced, being caught between obligations and affection, had grown by leaps and bounds. That thought renewed the lump in his stomach in a way he preferred not to analyze too deeply. Better to try to make the most of what should be a very entertaining evening, if the daggers shooting from Madam Anya’s eyes were any indication.

"Buffy, may I speak to you privately?"

Giving no time for refusal, Anya grabbed her arm and proceeded to pull her into the hallway and down to the recently vacated sitting room.

"What on earth is this?"

Buffy tried for an innocent expression and realized coincidence would not work as an explanation.

"Anya, calm down, it’s just a dinner party."

Anya’s jaw clenched. "Oh yes, a dinner party with a gentleman who I’ve been trying to avoid for weeks now, who shows up with picnics and gifts and wants to go for walks and . . ." She broke down and turned away from Buffy.

"Anya, what’s so wrong with that?"

"Buffy, don’t you understand?" Her face contorted as she fought back her tears. "He’s diabolical. He’s courting me. He’s trying to seduce me by being a gentleman."

Buffy guided her to the sofa and sat her down, patting her gently on the back. "Anya, I don’t understand, why is that bad?"

"Because it can’t be real. He’s, he’s acting as though I’m some sixteen year old schoolgirl he plans to propose marriage to and it hurts. I understand men. They have needs and they are willing to exchange money for a service. It’s all very clear that way. But this, this Xander won’t do that. I told him I wasn’t available the first night he came and he’s been relentless ever since. He merely wants what he can’t have."

Buffy watched Anya’s outpouring with something akin to shock. Did Anya really think that Xander, in spite of all his declarations, still thought of her as nothing more than a piece of forbidden fruit that the pursuit only made sweeter? Did she really think she was so unworthy to be loved? But then, why would she think otherwise? No one ever had.

"Anya, he came to me for help because he’s quite serious. He’s not interested in a liaison with you, he really does want to court you."

Anya sat up and wiped her eyes. "Buffy, men lie."

Buffy laughed. "You think I don’t know that Anya? But they don’t always. He told me things about himself, about his past. He has, well I think he has more insight into things than you give him credit for. Xander Harris sees you as a beautiful, intriguing woman and he wants to get to know you. Is that really so bad?"

Anya blew her nose and shook her head. "No."

Buffy smiled. "So, will you give him a chance? Just a chance. As you say, you know men far better than I do. One misstep and you can consider the experiment over. But it might be worth your while."

Anya studied her carefully sculpted nails. Very ladylike. Very much the way she wanted to be seen. Xander Harris had seemed like every other man she’d been acquainted with when he’d first requested her as a bed partner for the evening. Impressed by her face and figure, sure that she was skilled and could provide a pleasant diversion, but not interested in what was beneath the surface. But then he’d come back, again and again, requesting the simplest of things with no real hint of innuendo. He wasn’t the first to try such tactics, but he was by far the most persistent, despite her rather impressive stonewall tactics. Was it really possible that he actually wanted to get to know her? Not the whore, but the lady inside? Anya looked at her with a tentative hope budding. "Do you really think he could . . . want a real relationship with me?"

"I think it’s possible. But not if you don’t give him a chance. So what’s your answer Anya? I know I shouldn’t have surprised you this way, and if you prefer, I’ll go in and explain to the guests you had to leave."

Anya shook her head slowly. "No. No, I’ll stay for dinner. And we’ll see what happens."

Buffy smiled. "Wonderful. Do you want to go upstairs and freshen up a moment?"

Anya nodded. Buffy rose to leave and return to the guests but was stopped at the door. "Buffy, you do know one day you may have to take the advice you like to give out so well."

"What does that mean Anya?"

"It just means, my dear, that I’m not the only one here tonight who’s caught someone’s eye. But you aren’t giving him a chance either."

Buffy swallowed hard. "That’s not true Anya, I’ve become good friends with Mr. Montgomery."

Anya laughed. "You’ll never be just friends with him Buffy, and the sooner you realize that, the better off you’ll both be. Think about taking some of your own advice to heart for once."

~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy returned to the room and nodded at the men who had risen at her entrance. She met Xander’s crestfallen face and smiled. "Anya will be here in just a moment. She just needed a moment to freshen up."

She was rather pleased by the hopeful look that filled his face. She hoped she hadn’t read him wrong, that he wouldn’t hurt Anya in some way. For all her tough exterior and brash words, she was rather fragile inside and she was taking a huge risk by even allowing Xander a chance to crack the carefully constructed facade.

She ventured a brief glance at William as she resumed her place at the table. He’d managed to slip in behind her defenses as well, though she wasn’t sure she should ever let him know that. He seemed intent on making her run the gamut of emotions and with every day that passed it grew harder to hide that fact.

And she wished she knew if Anya was correct, if he had some sort of romantic interest in her. He enjoyed her companionship she knew, their breakfasts often stretched into hours of conversation on everything under the sun and he didn’t seem put off by the fact that she was widely read or had opinions on matters. She felt as though she could call him a friend by now and truly mean it.

But beyond that? She didn’t even know what to compare it with, the warm flush his gaze would occasionally send through her and the skip of her heart just from hearing his low tones. She’d found herself wondering at night what it would be like for him to kiss her, to pull her into his arms and caress her lips. She almost couldn’t remember what it had been like to be kissed, it had been so very long. And yet, since their first meeting, aside from the most mild of flirtations that could easily be ascribed to polite banter not to be taken seriously, he’d made no moves that she could clearly define as romantic overtures. He left her thoroughly confused and more than a little frustrated.

She realized she’d been staring at him for some time now as the dinner conversation had begun, a mild chatter on inconsequential matters as they waited to see if Anya would indeed reappear. He turned from the comment he’d just made to Tara and caught her full-on gaze. She flushed, embarrassed to be caught in such a frank stare, and he smiled, then gave her a slow wink. She clenched her jaw. Yes, thoroughly confused.

She turned quickly to Xander to ask about the most banal of topics in order to cover her confusion. She was in way over her head with William Montgomery, and she’d never really learned how to swim.

"Good evening."

The small talk ceased as Anya reappeared in the doorway. All traces of redness were gone and she looked as polished as when she’d first appeared.

She nodded at William and Xander and motioned them to resume their seats as she took the remaining empty chair across from Xander.

"I apologize for earlier. I’m afraid I didn’t realize we’d be joined by two handsome gentlemen such as yourselves."

She focused in on Xander, who seemed to be holding his breath. Buffy hoped he wouldn’t pass out into the soup on the table before them.

"Mr. Harris, I regret that we have not had the chance to get to know each other before now. Why don’t you tell me about yourself?"

He exhaled slowly and smiled. "Miss Anya, I’d be delighted."

~~~~~~~~~~

The chime of the clock startled them all as the meal came to a close.

Anya regretfully turned to Buffy. "I’m sorry to have to leave so soon, the company this evening has far exceeded my expectations." She smiled at Xander, who seemed to have developed a perpetual grin as the evening wore on. "However, duty calls, I need to return before customers begin to arrive."

She glanced across the table to see if the mention of the brothel had brought a look of distaste to her erstwhile suitor’s expression. He met her gaze levelly and didn’t blink.

"May I accompany you home Miss Anya?"

She knew she was the object of intense scrutiny of all those at the table. What was it Buffy had said? Just give him a chance?

"You may, Mr. Harris."

~~~~~~~~~~

The couple of the hour soon departed and the others retired to the parlor, where Tara and Willow made what Buffy felt were rather transparent excuses and left them alone together. Had Anya been talking to them?

She turned to find William comfortably ensconced in the armchair beside the fireplace, watching the glow it cast around the room. He seemed deep in thought as she sat carefully at the edge of the companion seat and joined him in his examination. This wasn’t the first night they’d sat in this manner, he’d often stay for a few moments after walking Dawn home in the evenings, but they were rarely alone, often joined by Willow or Tara or Dawn.

The intimacy of the setting bothered her more than usual tonight. Maybe it was watching the sparks between Anya and Xander, or the careful happiness that Willow and Tara exuded, but she was more aware of her solitary state than usual. And that was likely to make her do something rash and poorly thought out, she was afraid. Better to hurry him along and retire early tonight.

His voice interrupted her machinations. "Buffy, I’ve been thinking about your suggestion for Dawn."

"Really?"

William nodded. "You were quite right, she’s a rather amazing young lady. I only wish I’d had have her enthusiasm at her age. And when she outgrows her coltishness she’ll be quite the beauty, I imagine." He smiled thoughtfully. "I always regretted that I was an only child. She’s something like I imagined a younger sister would have been."

"I know, William. She’s a sweet child and she deserves more than the lot life has cast her. She’s far too bright to be a scullery maid."

"She is exceptionally clever, isn’t she? She’s gotten to where she can give me quite a run for my money at chess you know. And the little minx actually wanted me to wager on the number of games before she could defeat me."

Buffy tried to look appropriately shocked at the idea and failed miserably.

"Did you take her up on it?"

He laughed, "I bet it would take her a month. She’s wagered she can do it in the next seven days."

Buffy smiled. "I bet she’ll win."

"What, don’t think I can hold my own against a little bit like her?"

"We’ll see."

"I suppose we will. I’ll keep you updated. But you were right, Dawn should be in school, not just one of these little grammar schools around here, but a proper school that young ladies go to. What to you call them? Finishing schools?"

Buffy nodded. "You know that won’t be an inexpensive undertaking? Such a school requires more than just the tuition, there are certain clothes to buy and so on. Plus, for a young girl like herself, without family, she’ll need to have someone act as her guardian."

"I know. The money is no issue and I’m willing to be her guardian. But the other, the clothes and what-not, I know nothing about. I think this may have to be another joint venture between us. It was after all, your idea."

He gave her one of those looks that had begun to prove troublesome to her sleep at night and left her rather confused as to what he’d just said, as she’d been rather distracted by the blue in his eyes.

Oh right, her idea. Yes, it had been, but somehow she hadn’t foreseen it leading her to become even further entangled with William Montgomery, at least not consciously. Well, she could certainly do it for Dawn. She ignored the rather sarcastic inner voice that remarked on what a hardship it would be to continue to have to see him so frequently, in an almost quasi-family setting, playing the mother to his adopted daughter, which would of course make her in effect his wife . . .

"I would be happy to assist you William."

He stood up and she ignored the slight feeling of discontent that he seemed ready to leave so quickly now that the business he’d had on his mind was through. So much for the fantasy of a mother and father chatting about their child’s future. She supposed he saw this as more of an extension of her job as his housekeeper. Well, that settled any flutters she’d had. She composed herself as he collected his hat from the small table by the door and was able to smile brightly as he turned to her again.

"Can I leave it to you to investigate what would be the best academy for her to attend? I don’t want her to go to some place where her birth or lack of connections will cause her torment."

She nodded. "The school Willow and I attended in Boston may be the best. Miss Greenlee was a fine teacher and had excellent character. I believe Dawn would be happy there, even though it is rather a distance. I’ll send off a letter tomorrow. May I tell Dawn? It might be best if she begins tutoring with us until time for her to leave, so that she won’t be so behind. And I think she’ll be rather pleased that you’ve agreed to be her guardian. She thinks the world of you, you know. Always chattering about Mr. Montgomery this and that."

He smiled. "Absolutely. In fact, could you bring her round when you come in the morning? I’d like to talk with her. It would be better for her to stay here, I suppose, won’t really be proper for her to stay in my home without a chaperone, will it?"

Buffy shook her head. "No, but she is most welcome to stay here."

"I’d still like to call round for my chess partner in the evenings though, if I may intrude on you?"

"Of course. And I’ll begin looking for a replacement for her on the staff."

"Excellent. It was a lovely evening Buffy. Thank you for your hospitality and your help. You’re rather one of a kind, did you know that?"

For a moment she thought he might be about to say something more, as his hand lifted as though he were about to touch her face. He seemed to catch himself at the last moment and pull away.

"I’ll bid you good night then."

And then he was gone. She sighed. She should be elated. Her dinner had been far more successful than she’d hoped and William was going beyond her wildest dreams in agreeing to become Dawn’s guardian. She would go upstairs and share the good news right away. She knew Dawn’s enthusiasm would brighten her inexplicably dour mood.

She blew out the lamp on the side table and closed the door to the sitting room, letting her eyes linger for a moment only on what she’d come to think of as his chair.

~~~~~~~~~~~

William stood outside the gate and stared at the house. He knew she’d been a bit miffed by his quick departure, not that she’d even admit it to him. He’d watched that little flare in her eyes as he’d moved away and knew she would have been happy for him to stay a little longer, despite her obvious nervousness. But he just couldn’t. Couldn’t sit there and watch the fire highlight the beauty of her face as they danced back and forth with words, when he wanted so much more and knew he couldn’t have it.

Xander’s resolute pursuit almost shamed him. He’d tried to manipulate Buffy from the beginning and he couldn’t seem to stop. Even this thing with Dawn was hardly as altruistic as Buffy had taken it. He did like Dawn, she was a bright and charming girl and he saw reflections of himself at that age in her. He had the money, didn’t begrudge helping her. But it would never have crossed his mind to take this kind of action without knowing how much Buffy had wanted it.

He turned and strode angrily down the street. Buffy, Buffy, Buffy. Ridiculously stupid name. Her with her golden hair and wide eyes and pouty lips, all prim and proper and driving him to bloody distraction. Why couldn’t he put her out of his mind and just move on? She might tease and tantalize him in that sly way of hers, stay in his orbit, flirt just so, but there would never be anything more.

He needed to get her out of his mind once and for all. He was leaving for England in only a few days, the time away would do him good, help him clear his head. Maybe even pay a visit to Drusilla, if she was still around. And by the time he came back to Charleston, the deal with Wilkins would be done, the engagement announced, and he’d be on his way to wedded bliss.