Chapter 11

"Good morning ladies."

William took his seat at the table and noted, with amusement, Dawn’s elated expression.

"Is it really true? Miss Buffy says you’re to be my guardian?"

He nodded. "If you agree of course, little bit."

Dawn bounced from her chair and flung her arms around his neck before her could react. "Mr. Montgomery, thank you so much! Of course I agree. My mother told me when she died that a guardian angel would look over me."

He caught Buffy’s eye as he gently patted the girl on the back and tried to cover his embarrassment. "Alright, well enough of that. We have plans to discuss. Miss Buffy thinks we can turn you into a proper lady with all the trimmings at one of those fancy schools. Would you like that?"

Dawn swallowed as she sat back down. "Yes, I, I think so." She smiled tentatively at Buffy. "Do you really think I could learn to be a lady like you?"

Buffy took her hand and patted it comfortingly. "Of course Dawn. But remember, a true lady is defined by who she is inside and her actions, not how she dresses or where she lives. However, Miss Greenlee’s school can you teach much, about everything from art to science."

"Miss Greenlee’s?" Dawn’s forehead crinkled. "Is that here in town?"

William shook his head. "No, it’s in Boston, Dawn, it’s where Miss Buffy went to school."

Buffy chimed in, "Miss Greenlee is very nice, and you’ll learn languages and mathematics and things you won’t be able to get at the schools here in Charleston, Dawn. I enjoyed my time there. Miss Willow attended as well, you could ask her about it."

Dawn nodded uncertainly. "It sounds very nice." Her voice trailed off as she stared hard at the plate in front of her.

William recognized the look of trepidation on Dawn’s face. He knew that was how he’d looked the summer his father had come for a visit and announced it was time for him to go off to school. He’d been sick several mornings in a row, filled with dread at leaving his mother and the small quiet village for the unknown. And his fears had not been groundless. The school had been the subject of his worst nightmares. He needed to ensure that didn’t happened to Dawn. But at least for now he could distract her.

"Dawn, how about we try to get in one of our chess games this morning? See if you can come any closer to winning that bet?"

She nodded eagerly and followed him into the library where the chess board was set up from their last game.

~~~~~~~~~~

"So, are you really happy about this idea of ours? Be honest with me now, bit."

Dawn maintained her concentration on the chess board as she spoke. "I’m happy that you want to be my guardian. I didn’t like being all alone and I would never have dreamed I would end up in some place this beautiful."

He nodded and moved his rook. "And?"

Dawn regarded him with her large blue eyes. "Do I have to go away? Boston sounds so far."

"It would be a new experience for you."

It seemed that was all she had anymore, new experiences. "I suppose it would be."

She frowned slightly as she moved her knight, not wanting to seem ungrateful. Without meeting his eyes, she asked softly, "Is there no way I could stay here in Charleston? They have schools for ladies here. If I go to Boston, I’ll never see you or Miss Buffy again."

"Dawn, of course you would see us. It would only be for a few years, until you learned all those things that proper ladies are supposed to know to snag a husband and what all."

Dawn responded quickly, her tone growing sulky. "Miss Buffy doesn’t have a husband and neither do Miss Tara or Miss Willow and they’re all ladies."

"Dawn, you know Miss Buffy’s a widow, she’s already been married. Her husband died in an accident and she’s very loyal to his memory."

Dawn watched his face closely. "Why aren’t you married?"

William stumbled a bit. "Uh, well, I, you see, bit, it’s just that . . ."

"Wouldn’t you like to marry Miss Buffy? Then she could almost be like my mother, and she really likes you, I don’t think she’d mind."

He stared at her flabbergasted. "She likes me? Has she . . . said something to that effect?"

Dawn tried to hide the smile that was threatening to burst across her face. She was right! Watching the two of them talk with each other, careful never to betray too much in their gaze until the other turned away and they thought they were safe, she’d developed this elaborate fantasy that Mr. William could marry Miss Buffy and she’d be able to stay with them and be safe. And now it was all falling into place, if they just wouldn’t be stubborn.

She’d had to suppress a snort at the comment that Buffy was loyal to her husband’s memory. There were no pictures of the deceased Mr. Crawford anywhere in the house, no mourning brooches or personal effects. Why, after her own papa had died, her mother had kept the one picture they had under her pillow every night and kissed it before she went to sleep. No, Miss Buffy’s longing looks were reserved for Mr. Montgomery. Now she only had to convince him.

"She said you were a good man."

"She did?" William beamed.

"And she watches you, when you aren’t looking."

His head shot up and pinned Dawn with his eyes. "What?"

"She watches you, but she always blushes if she thinks you’ve noticed and looks away very quickly. And she seems sad when you leave." Dawn hid a smile at the look on his face as he pondered that bit of information. Just then, a knock sounded at the door and Buffy popped her head inside.

"So has Dawn defeated the master yet?"

William turned his head to where she stood in the doorway. "Hardly. However, I’m afraid I’ll have to call a halt to the game. I have to be down at the docks to meet a ship that’s unloading this morning and then I have a rather important lunch meeting with some potential clients."

He stood, picked up the jacket he’d tossed across the back of the chair and shrugged into it. "Dawn, I’ll think about what you said, about staying here, and Miss Buffy and I can discuss it. We can talk about it tonight."

He paused at the doorway, focusing his full attention on Buffy now. "I assume you won’t mind if I call round tonight?"

Dawn watched the pair, noting with some satisfaction that Miss Buffy did indeed seem quite flustered at how close Mr. William was standing. She suppressed a little sigh. They would make such a handsome couple if they’d just stop being pig-headed and open their eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy wished fervently she hadn’t chosen this spot to stop as he moved closer. Her back was to the edge of the door frame and she had nowhere to go, but his proximity was making air a little hard to come by. His eyes danced a little as he smiled, as though he knew what he was doing to her. "Of course, that will be fine. You know you’re always welcome Mr. Montgomery."

He chuckled and gave her a small wink. "Now, now, I though we’d settled that a long time ago pet. William, remember?"

"Of course, William. Dawn and I will look forward to seeing you."

She stumbled just the merest bit as he continued down the hallway and out to the stable, completely missing the small smirk on Dawn’s face as she pretended continued fascination with the chess pieces in front of her.

~~~~~~~~~~

"William, good to see you down here with the working men again."

"Yeah, wanted to double-check the shipment coming in. There’s some delicate goods and we have to be sure they are handled properly."

Clement nodded and spat. "Any chance you’ll be giving up the desk and coming back to sea with us?"

"Matter of fact, I’ll be joining your crew on the run back. Have some contracts to arrange in England that require face to face negotiations, and some family obligations."

"Glad to hear it. Will Harris be coming as well, the crew of the Anne reunited?"

William shook his head. "He’ll have to hold things down here, got those bloody hearings to get all the legalities taken care of so we can add the extra ships."

William watched as another box was lowered gently to the dock, then raced forward as the dockworker lost his hold and started to allow the heavy merchandise to plummet. The man recovered his grip, but the now wildly swinging crate caught William in the shoulder, sending him flying back onto the wooden planks, blood blossoming through the tan of his jacket.

Clement ran to his side as William struggled to sit up and assisted him in standing. "Will, are you alright?"

He shuddered as he touched his tender shoulder. "Yeah, think so." He gingerly pulled the coat away with his good arm as Clement helped him back to the main offices of Montgomery & Harris.

He managed to shrug the layers of cloth away and it became clear that the injury was nothing more serious than a gash from a nail on the corner of the box and some bruising that would be uncomfortable for a while. But his clothes were ruined.

William glanced at the clock ticking on his desk. He was meeting the Vances about becoming their primary shipper at noon for lunch at the Planter’s Hotel. If he hurried, he could change clothes, bandage the shallow cut, which continued to bleed, and rest a bit before he had to meet them.

Clement helped him get the torn garments back in place enough to prevent an indecent display of flesh and he carefully eased up on his horse, glad for once he was left-handed and didn’t have to try to manage the reins with his injured right side.

The horse moved at a smooth clip through the streets and he was home within minutes, tossing the reins to the groom and waving off his assistance. He mounted the rear stairs and gratefully entered his room as he carefully slid the rent garments away from the gash that the recent exertion seemed to have reopened. He stepped closer to the mirror to inspect the cut.

~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy trotted down the stairs. The upper floor was quite neat, she was pleased that things really seemed to be coming together. She glanced in the various guest rooms as she made her way down the second floor hallway.

William really had an excessive amount of space for just one gentleman. Though he seemed as bad as her about taking in people. She opened the door to the room that she’d instructed prepared for the latest guest. Wesley Wyndam-Pryce, now that was quite a mouthful. She checked the linens, straightened a pillow, ran her finger over the chest of drawer. Everything looked good.

She exited into the hallway. That left one more room to look over in her weekly inspection. His bedroom.

She knew she was being silly, that being in that space, looking at that massive four-poster bed, imaging . . .

She stopped, glanced around in embarrassment, cheeks flaming. Bad, bad Buffy. Not having those thoughts again. She’d was just going to make sure everything was proper, then she was taking herself off to the market and possibly down by the docks to see if there were any new arrivals who might be interested in a position as a housemaid. She’d take Dawn with her today, she seemed to have quite an appetite for bargaining with the vendors, a good skill for her to know. Buffy pushed open the door that stood slightly ajar and bit back a silent gasp.

There in front of her stood a mostly naked William. She knew she should turn around, or leave, or at least let alert him to her presence. But she couldn’t seem to do any of those things, just stare as the perfection of his back. The muscled shoulders that tapered to his narrow waist, the ripple and play under the skin. She realized her fingers were curling as she imagined what it would feel like under her hands. She was jolted from her haze by his low groan as she shifted angles and saw what he was studying so intently in the mirror.

"Oh William, you’re bleeding," she gasped and moved towards him before she thought better of it.

He turned, still wincing. "Buffy?"

She made little clucking noises as she pulled the bits of the shirt that still clung to him away, then moved to the dresser and rapidly poured fresh water from the pitcher on his dresser. She grabbed the clean towel and moved back towards him to dab softly at the cut, all the while refusing to meet his eyes as he sat on the bed passively in front of her.

"What did you do to yourself?" she asked as she finished.

He struggled to open his eyes to meet the hazel ones so close to his own. He’d almost drifted off, content to simply let her take care of him, her soft, gentle hand soothing the sore muscles as she patiently nursed him. "Hmmm? Oh, nothing, just a little accident by the docks, got hit while they were unloading a crate."

"Oh." She bit her lip, suddenly aware that she still had one hand cradled at the curve of his neck to steady him, while the other rested lightly on his bruised bicep. And that somewhere along the way his hands had drifted to rest at her waist. She met his gaze again. "I should probably go get something to bandage this."

"Mhmm." And then his lips met hers and Buffy stopped thinking about everything but the feel of the kiss, his hands urging her closer, the sheer pleasure of being touched. Part of her mind was kicking and screaming up a vigorous protest about the propriety of being here with him alone in his bedroom and where that was leading, but his tongue’s gentle teasing of her lower lip as he gained full access to her mouth seemed to quieten even that part of her brain for the moment. She fought the urge to whimper at the loss of his lips as he pulled away. She kept her eyes closed, wanting to prolong the moment for just a moment longer before reality crashed back in.

"Buffy."

His husky tone was barely above a whisper and she tried to pull away as his voice broke the bubble, but his hands held her tight.

"No, love, look at me."

She reluctantly opened her eyes, not sure what she’d find there. And was surprised to observe the same swirling mix of confusing and attraction she knew was written across her face. She could almost see the question in his eyes and she inclined her head just a little.

And then he was kissing her again. This time her urge to resist was all but evaporated by the overwhelming heat of this thing between them and she found herself pulling him closer, her hands burying themselves in his hair as she gave herself over to the electricity of the moment.

Someone moaned and she felt a hand slide upward across her bodice, teasing open the first of the hundred jet buttons that fastened its length. Warning bells sounded again but were silenced as his lips slid from hers and began to explore the now exposed flesh of her throat. She felt her knees weakening as he found a spot under her ear that made her squeak and proceeded to devote an immense amount of time, it seemed to her, to its exploration.

More buttons slipped free and she felt the tip of his finger trace the swell of her breast over the corset. He turned her slowly and began to lower her to the bed, muttering something about the bloody ridiculous number of petticoats. She almost felt as though she were someone else, outside herself somehow, watching this decadent scene as the firmness of the bed supported her back and she found herself gazing up into sky colored eyes that entranced her.

"Oh, my love, I’ve wanted to do this since the moment I saw you, to see you spread across this bed in all your beauty, this glorious hair," he began to remove the pins that secured her knot, "spread across my pillow . . ." His mouth captured hers again and she arched against him, as a voice from far away sounded the call to reality.

"Miss Buffy? Miss Buffy? Anna said you were up here."

A wave of hot shame swept over Buffy as she realized what sort of picture she would present to Dawn and the position she’d gotten herself into. How had she let this happen? She shoved at him as he continued to nuzzle her neck, and pushed against his sore arm in her haste to get away. He moved away with a yowl and let her up as she frantically refastened the tiny buttons with shaking fingers and grabbed for the pins to resecure her hair.

"Hey now, what’s this, Buffy . . ."

He reached out to her but she shrugged him off. "Dawn’s coming, put on a shirt," she hissed.

Comprehension dawned for her sudden change in demeanor. He rose and crossed the room , opened the wardrobe and hastily threw it on as she patted her hair, just as a soft knock sounded at the door. "Miss Buffy? Are you in here? Anna said . . . Oh. Mr. William?"

"Dawn."

Buffy turned, still aflutter and William wondered if she realized how flushed she was, her cheeks still rosy, her lips swollen and one button missed.

"Dawn, dear, I heard you calling but I was about to bandage Mr. William here, he had a bit of an accident."

Buffy followed Dawn’s gaze and noticed she was gawking at more than the small cut visible on his upper shoulder. "Mr. William, your shirt."

"Oh right, sorry there bit." He turned and began fastening the buttons.

"Very well Dawn, I believe we’re done here, we shall get our cloaks and be off to the market."

She began to herd the girl towards the door without a backwards glance. William watched the pair through the mirror as he completed fastening his buttons and reached for his jacket.

"Actually, Dawn, could you run get Anna for me quickly before you go? And Miss Buffy, if I might have a word with you."

He watched her stiffen and then she patted Dawn on the shoulder and told her she’d join her in the foyer in a moment. He crossed the room and shut the door behind the departing girl, then turned to Buffy, who was observing the floorboards as though they held the answers to the universe. Gently he raised her chin.

"Buffy, we can’t pretend that didn’t just happen."

"It was a mistake," she whispered.

"It bloody well was not. You wanted that as much as I did, want more still. Buffy didn’t you feel it?"

"Feel what?"

"The passion, the heat, the desire? Don’t you know how rare that it?" He leaned forward until his lips were almost brushing her ear and whispered huskily, "Don’t you want to feel it again?"

He felt the shiver run through her as she pulled away hastily and covered her face with her hands, refusing to respond. "William, I, I have to go, Anna will be here any moment and she should not see us like this, it will cause gossip."

He turned her back around and gently slid the one unfastened button into place, then tucked an unruly strand of hair behind her ear. "This isn’t over, Buffy. Just so you know that."

He dropped a chaste kiss on her lips and opened the door for her to leave. She gave him one long unfathomable glance and then exited hastily.