Chapter 12

"Dawn? Are you ready?" Buffy fluttered down the stairs, her cheeks still flushed, and took the cloak that Dawn held out for her. She busied herself with fastening the garment and picking up the large basket Dawn had carried from the kitchen.

Dawn eyed her suspiciously. Miss Buffy was rarely flustered, but right now she looked as though she was about to fly to pieces. Her normally perfectly ordered hair had stray wisps that she kept nervously and ineffectively smoothing and her face had a rosy hue.

Dawn smiled to herself. It looked as though the seeds she’d planted had taken root rather quickly. What ever they ‘d been doing in Mr. William’s room had involved more than just bandaging his shoulder. Miss Buffy’s lips were rather red and she kept furtively touching them with her hand, just a little press as though she were completely surprised they were there. Dawn stifled a giggle. Yes, there must have been kissing.

Or course she’d always suspected her hints would fall on fertile ground, they’d just needed a little nudge. Now maybe she could convince them to let her stay here with them here in Charleston. She lost herself in a little daydream of the happy family they could make until Miss Buffy’s voice broke her from her trance.

"Dawn? Are you coming?"

"Yes, Miss Buffy!" Dawn followed happily behind her, unable to resist a little skip in her step as they headed towards the City Market.

~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy added the vegetables she had selected to the basket and counted out the coins to pay the vendor.

"Dawn, I think that will do. Do you suppose we have time to make our way down to the docks before we take these back? We need to find someone soon to replace you and help Anna."

"I think so." Dawn’s face lit up. "Could we go and see Mr. William? He told me that he and Mr. Xander have their office down there."

Buffy blanched. She really wasn’t ready to face him. She’d firmly pushed the events of this morning to the back of her mind and didn’t plan to take them back out for examination until she was alone.

"Well, that might not be the best idea, Dawn, we don’t want to bother him while he’s working. Oh, and he had a luncheon, he probably won’t be there."

Buffy paused indecisively at the street corner where they needed to turn. This was a bad idea. What if they ran into him? They should just go home. She could always come back tomorrow and see if there were any new ships coming in.

Dawn shifted her basket to the other arm and tugged at Buffy’s sleeve.

"We don’t have to bother him. I just wanted to see what his office was like."

Buffy had to admit to a secret desire to see that herself. And it was rare she’d have any type of acceptable excuse for being down at the docks again. Perhaps seeing him in a more formal setting rather than the intimacy of her parlor tonight would be better. It would be very appropriate and there would be no chances for touching or kissing or any of those wonderful frightening things that made her heart race and her head spin until she wasn’t quite sure what to do.

She took a deep breath and turned towards the harbor. "Very well, we’ll pop in and visit a moment if we see we won’t bother him."

Dawn looked around wide eyed as they moved away from the town center, taking in the bustle of activity and kaleidoscope of sights and sounds that filled the area.

"Dawn, dear, don’t gawk so." Dawn clamped her mouth shut as they entered the harbor master’s office.

"Good afternoon Mr. Snyder, how are you today?"

The small beady eyed-man turned. "Mrs. Crawford. What brings you here?"

Ignoring the tone of disapproval, Buffy smiled sweetly, "I wish to see if any new passenger ships have come in. I’m trying to find a good Irish girl to be domestic help."

Snyder raised a brow. "Why don’t you just head down to the market, Mrs. Crawford? I’m sure you could find a strapping young girl there."

Buffy gritted her teeth and kept her smile firmly in place. "I’m sure I could, Mr. Snyder, but I was still hoping to know about the ships coming in today."

He harrumphed loudly and checked the list in front of him. "Try the Seafarer, docked down that way." He gestured further down the docks. "She was coming from Dublin, likely might still have a few lost souls milling about."

"Thank you Mr. Snyder, and please give my regards to your wife. I’ll see her at the next Ladies’ Charity Circle."

"I will indeed. You know, Mrs. Snyder was just speaking of you the other night. About how it was high time you found yourself a new husband. A young woman like yourself needs a man to take care of her, manage her affairs. I know your father would have wanted that. And you’re still young enough, haven't lost your looks, you could find a husband right quick. Why I know that Mr. Owens is looking for a new wife. I’m sure you heard about his wife passing with the sickness last year and all those young ones that need a mother. Mrs. Snyder was commenting on what a fine match you would make."

Buffy cringed internally. Mr. Owens had five children and had been hunting for a wife before his own was cold in the grave. She’d have to avoid Mrs. Snyder at the next Circle.

"That is so thoughtful of you both to be looking out for my welfare Mr. Snyder, but, alas," she laid her hand dramatically over her heart, "I still miss my Angel so. I just need a bit more time before I can consider matrimony again." She ignored his snort and headed back into the sunlight.

Dawn trailed along after her. "He’s not very nice is he?"

Buffy sighed. "No, he never has been, but he was a friend of my father’s. I knew he’d give us what we needed to know."

"Did you mean that? What you told him about not being ready to marry again?"

Buffy shot her a sharp look. "After a fashion."

She shaded her eyes and peered down the dock past the scattered sailors and dock workers busily unloading ships, changing the subject. "Now, let’s see if there are any likely candidates. It looks as though they may have already started disembarking."

Dawn followed happily along, breathing in the tangy air from the harbor and distracted for the time. They had almost reached the point where passengers were milling around the dock when Dawn noticed a woman garbed almost entirely in vibrant red with auburn curls. She froze.

"Miss Buffy?" She grabbed the older woman’s sleeve. "Miss Buffy, stop, please it’s her," she whispered.

Buffy stopped. "Who, Dawn?"

"Glory."

As though she’d heard the whispered name, the woman turned and moved in their direction, eyes narrowing as she drew closer.

"Hey, little girl, I know you." She moved swiftly and grabbed Dawn’s arm, her two menacing flunkies trailing behind. Buffy stepped between them, outraged at her impudence, and pushed Glory’s hand away from Dawn’s arm, making herself a barrier for the now quaking girl.

"I don’t believe you know this young lady, you must be mistaken. Now, if you’ll excuse us." She turned, keeping herself between Dawn and the despicable creature and began to walk towards the entrance of the harbor area.

Glory followed, "Hardly, Mrs. Crawford. I know who you both are."

Buffy froze, icy tendrils crawling up her back as Glory continued. "I was . . . well-acquainted with your dearly departed. He was," she laughed harshly, "quite the angel, wasn’t he?"

Her eyes flickered over the obvious mourning grab. "Aw, now that is so very precious, that you, the grieving widow, are so faithful. I’m sure he’d appreciate knowing his frigid little wife was still clinging to his memory."

She was stunned by the venom of the whore’s voice and the hatred rose up like bile in her throat at this unwelcome intrusion. Buffy bit her lip and turned, knowing that she should just keep walking away, and not react to Glory’s voice and the wash of memories she’d thought she’d put behind her. But she couldn’t seem to move away.

Glory stepped forward, seeing her hesitation, like a cat playing with its mouse, and addressed Dawn, cowering behind her. "As for you little girl, you cost me a heap of cash. And I still have the bill you and your mother owed for your passage. Remember that? How I paid it off for you and you said you would come and work for me? We had a deal, and don’t think I take that lightly."

Her voice trembling, Dawn managed to choke out, " I, I didn’t know, I thought you wanted a maid."

Glory threw back her head and laughed. "A maid? Oh that is just too much. No, small one, I had a very special customer who was most excited at the prospect of meeting you and your . . . untried charms. And I imagine will be again."

"No, you can’t do that, Mr. Montgomery won’t let you, will he Miss Buffy?"

Buffy cringed as she realized what Dawn had just revealed, snapped out of her daze and stepped between them again.

"No. I won’t let you. You may send me the bill for the passage over and I’ll pay it in full and with interest. That will release her from any obligation, real or imagined, she might have to you. Now, come Dawn, we’ll not let this trash insult us further."


"So the new man about town has already made her his playmate has he? Or has he already cast you off to Miss Buffy here?" She winked. "I’ve heard about your ‘rescue’ efforts, dear. You’d best not come near any of my girls. They hardly need your help."

Buffy gritted her teeth and continued walking away, murmuring, "Just ignore her Dawn."

Glory chuckled and called after them,"You’d better be good for the debt Mrs. Crawford. Because if not? Well, there’ll be hell to pay. C’mon boys. Let's go."

Buffy refused to look back as she continued to put distance between them, herding Dawn as quickly as she could. The ramifications of what had just happened were ricocheting through her mind, the thousand of ripple effects of just those few words. It took so little to get gossip started in this town and while Glory was hardly a trustworthy source, she had connections and could plant rumors.

Buffy smoothed Dawn’s hair and noted the girl was still shaking like a leaf, though her eyes were grateful as she clung to her arm. "It’s alright now Dawnie, it’s alright. She won’t be a threat to you anymore."

But she knew that wasn’t entirely true. She needed to speak with William about what had just happened, because something would need to be done. "Let’s go see those offices, okay? Perhaps you could use a little rest."

Dawn nodded gratefully as they headed for Montgomery & Harris. Buffy steered Dawn around the back of the alley and knocked at the door. Glory seeing them here would only feed the fires of suspicion.

~~~~~~~~~~

"We weren’t expecting . . . Miss Buffy? Dawn? Are you alright?" Xander pushed the door open wider to admit them and helped Buffy seat the shivering girl in a chair.

"Xander, do you have any water?"

He nodded and fetched a small glass for the girl as Buffy looked around. The office was small, the front, where she imagined a clerk might be, was divided from the rear office that William and Xander appeared to share. Two matching mahogany desks faced each other, piled high with snowy papers, with a small table to the side with a few chairs. She joined Dawn there, glad to let her trembling legs rest.

Confusion. There was no other word for it. Glory’s threat could be so harmful, to Dawn and to William. If the rumor was to get out that there was some sort of inappropriate relationship there . . . maybe she should keep Dawn with her. It would be cramped. But of course, even if she did, the rumors of Dawn’s origins and arrivals in the city would still likely follow if she tried to send her to school here.

Xander’s words finally broke through her haze. "Miss Buffy? Do you want me to take the two of you home?" He patted Dawn’s hand and poured her another drink of water as he waited for Buffy’s response.

"Will it inconvenience you terribly? I think an escort might be a good idea," she said gratefully.

"Not at all."

She hesitated for a moment, "Will Mr. Montgomery be back soon? I’m afraid we’ll need to speak about Dawn. Something has happened."

Xander shrugged into his coat. "So I gathered. It’s not everyday two damsels in distress have to take refuge in my office. Anything I can help with?"

Buffy smiled wryly. "Perhaps so Xander. I’ll explain when we reach the house."

~~~~~~~~~~

William entered the office and sat down heavily. The lunch had gone well, the Vance family looked as though they were strongly interested in making them their primary shippers. But his shoulder still ached and . . . she wouldn’t leave him alone. This game, this dance back and forth between Buffy and him had gone on long enough. And tonight he was going to confront her about it.

He leaned back and closing his eyes, remembered the events of the morning as a small smile graced his face. The sound of the door opening startled him from his thoughts as Xander entered the room.

"Will, you’re back. How were things?"

"Good. They’ve decided to ship with us for next year’s crop."

"That’s excellent." He nervously picked up the paperweight off his partner’s desk and turned it over in his hand. "Will, something happened today. You need to go see Buffy right away."

He sat upright and stared. She’d gone and talked to Xander? "What did she say happened?"

Xander shook his head slowly. "It’s that Glory woman."

Glory? Now he was confused. Who was Glory again? And what did she have to do with anything?

At Will’s continued puzzled expression, Xander pressed on. "The woman who was after Dawn. Buffy brought Dawn with her today, they came down to see if they could find someone new for the staff. Glory spotted them, and she threatened Dawn. Turns out she’d paid off a debt for her passage and wanted her to work it off."

William leaned forward. "Are they okay? They weren’t harmed were they?"

Xander shook his head. "Don’t worry, they’re fine, physically. Buffy told her she’d pay off anything Dawn owed and that seemed to satisfy her. Dawn’s very shaken up. But Buffy thinks there may be another problem."

"What’s that?’

"Dawn mentioned you, that you would take care of her, and Glory . . . well, she assumed that you were taking care of her."

William stared at him for a moment and then the realization hit him. "She’s still just a young girl Xander!"

"Yes, she is. And you and I both know that wouldn’t stop some men. Buffy is concerned that it would be inappropriate for Dawn to stay with you right now."

"But I would never . . . she knows that . . ."

"Will, relax. She’s only worried about what people would say. Go talk to her, I think they both need to see you."

William levered himself from the chair and pulled on his coat. "They are at Buffy’s?"

Xander nodded.

~~~~~~~~~~

Knock, knock, knock.

Fred appeared at the door. "Mr. William, I’m so glad you’re here. Everything’s such a mess."

He entered the parlor to find the scene of a man’s worse nightmare. Dawn was crying, Buffy was red-eyed and Willow and Tara were fluttering around like the little doves they were, trying to soothe everyone. Buffy saw him and blushed, then put on that firm look that usually meant she was going to make him agree to something he had no intention of agreeing to.

As the others noticed her attention had shifted, the room grew quiet. "Dawn, go with Tara upstairs, Mr. William and I have to talk. And Willow, could you stay here please."

He patted the girl awkwardly on the shoulder as she left, still ill at ease with the sheer level of femininity and emotions as they swept by him. As soon as the door was closed, she motioned him to his usual seat by the fire and remained firmly planted on the distant sofa, Willow perched by her side. The defenses did not go unnoticed.

"Buffy, what is going on here?"

She gave him the succinct facts, including all her fears. "William, I thought perhaps we could keep Dawn here for a time, but the best thing will be if she can simply leave. By the time she’s finished her schooling, no one will remember, least of all Glory. But to put her in school here now would create talk which might reflect negatively on both you and her."

William stared into the fire and tried to compose himself before responding. He hated the thought that Dawn would face stares and gossip, much as he had, over something so groundless. Yet he knew Buffy was undoubtedly quite right. But the little bit had seemed so afraid of being left alone again.

"Buffy are you sure this is the right thing?"

She nodded. "Xander said that you’re leaving for England day after tomorrow on the Anne. And that it will call in Boston on the return voyage. If you take her with you, by the time you come back, my letter will have reached Miss Greenlee in Boston."

He blanched. "Buffy I’m fairly certain that taking Dawn with me to England would only create more talk."

"Willow and Tara have agreed to accompany as chaperones."

He looked at Willow, who was nodding her agreement beside Buffy. Well. That had maneuvered him into a corner nicely. This required some thought.

He paced over to the window and watched the quiet street for a few moments, trying to wrap his mind around the mess. It had seemed such a simple thing this morning, pay for Dawn’s education, do a good turn for the girl. No real strings. Except for her. He glanced over his shoulder at the blond head that was murmuring to Willow. Part of his mind rebelled that he’d ever gotten caught in such a quagmire. And yet, the look of gratitude on the bit’s face this morning, and the admiration in Buffy’s eyes when he’d agreed to help somehow made it worthwhile. It had been many years since he’d had anyone look at him that way, not since his mother in fact. She thought him a good man. Perhaps he owed it to her to try to act like one. And perhaps this was the opening he needed to build on this morning’s encounter. He strode back to his seat, mind set.

"Miss Willow, would you give Miss Buffy and myself a moment in private?"

Willow looked at Buffy who was glaring at her, then at William’s pleading expression.

"I’ll just be out in the hallway."

"Willow! No," Buffy gasped.

Willow looked at her and sighed heavily, then sat back down and gave William a small smile by way of apology.

"If you feel this is best, I’ll be happy to take her. But Buffy, Dawn seems quite attached to you. I know she’d feel more relieved if you were with her. Why don’t you came as well?"

She refused to meet his eyes. "I’m sorry William, I don’t think that would be possible, right now. I have obligations here, I couldn’t possibly leave on such short notice."

He refrained from arguing over her rather thin excuse and accepted defeat for the moment. "Very well. Miss Willow, I’m grateful you and Miss Tara are willing to make this trip with us. We’ll do our best to make you comfortable. The Anne is a cargo ship, but we have a few cabins that should serve."

He addressed Buffy once again. "Will you ready the things Dawn will need? I’ll need to go make some arrangements and inform the crew. I’ll be staying with my brother while we’re in London, so there should be sufficient accommodations there for everyone. And I’ll take care of the debt owed, don’t trouble yourself about that."

He gave a swift nod and left the room.

Willow turned to her cousin, disapproval evident on her face. "Buffy, what has happened? I’ve never seen you act the way with William before. You were almost cold with him. And he’s being quite kind to help in this matter, he could easily just walk away."


"Willow, it’s nothing."

"Buffy, it’s clearly not. Have you two had a lover’s quarrel?"

"A what?" She laughed nervously. "Willow, that’s ridiculous, and impossible. We haven’t quarreled."

"And the other?"

"Of course not, we’re not lovers. Willow, he’s a kind man, and I count him a friend, but there’s nothing more than that. I just wanted to be clear with him."

"Buffy, your ears have turned pink, I know you’re lying. It’s alright you know, if you do. And if you and Mr. William have been . . . hasty in your affections, well, I’m hardly one to throw stones."

"Willow! What on earth would make you think that?"

She reached and patted her cousin’s arm. "Buffy, I know you haven’t had an easy time. But there are good men out there. Daniel was one. I think William is as well. He looks at you with love in his eyes. And I think you look at him the same way as well. You need to talk to him, Buffy."

She stood and pulled the stunned Buffy from the sofa. "Come now, we have some packing to do."