Chapter 7

Buffy looked around the sitting room. Well, everything was as presentable as it could be, clean as a pin, nothing to give her mother-in-law grounds for criticism. Not that she needed any, she’d find some way to slip a catty remark in before the visit was over, Buffy had no doubt.

Dawn had done very well and seemed quite eager to please, now that her anxiety over being returned to the streets had passed. Buffy smiled. She actually reminded her of the way she’d been at her age, always curious, full of questions.

Well, that’s what a good finishing school would do for you, take away the need to know and replace it with a need to please. She gave one last pat to the sofa cushion and headed upstairs to see how Willow and Tara were progressing. She really shouldn’t be too hard on the school she’d attended. Quite nice really, Mrs. Greenlee had been open to the study of a number of academic subjects in addition to the more ladylike charms which needed to be acquired to snare a mate. And the little old lady had been more than a little radical, hosting lectures on abolition, women’s suffrage, and even a talk by the ladies of the Reformed Women’s Society.

She smiled at little at the memory of the former prostitutes who had given their tale of sin and redemption to thirty attentive schoolgirls, alternately titillated and horrified. She could only imagine the reaction if it had been Anya up there, lecturing on the values of capitalism and the money which could be made from men.

"Willow, Tara, are you up here?"

"Upstairs, Buffy."

She climbed to the third floor, where Fred slept in one of two small rooms, the other providing a small sewing area for dressmaking and repairs. Tara was painstakingly giving Dawn a sewing lesson, nodding approvingly in her patient way as the girl added stitches in a neat row.

"Hi Dawn, how is your lesson going?"

"I think I’m getting better, see this row’s all straight!"

Buffy smiled as she eyed the seam and added her praise. She almost wished they had the extra room to just let Dawn stay here, send her to school. Maybe she could train to be a teacher, some sort of livelihood that left her less at the mercy of fickle mistresses or masters. They could always turn this room into another bedroom, even if it would be a bit crowded. There was something about Dawn, she was still so innocent and open, though Buffy wasn’t naïve enough to think she hadn’t at least glimpsed the seamier side of life in the last few days.

She’d have to think on that, consult with the others about adding another permanent member to the household, not just a temporary boarder.

+++

The knock from the rear signaled a visitor as Fred hurried to open the door, knowing who this had to be. The only folks who used the rear were the ones who didn’t want to be seen.

"Miss Anya, how are you?"

"Fine, Fred. Ready to come back yet?" Fred flushed and shook her head at the question Anya always asked, as though she almost couldn’t fathom how one could give up working for her to be a house drudge.

"No, I’m fine here, quite comfortable Anya. Thank you for asking."

Anya shrugged. "Very well, if you’re satisfied. Is Buffy around? I need to tell her something. And how is the little girl doing?"

"She’s good, Miss Buffy found her a place already."

Anya raised an eyebrow. "So soon, I’m quite impressed. Does she have any callers right now?"

Fred shook her head. "Not right now, Mrs. Crawford is supposed to be coming by though."

Anya wrinkled her nose at the mention of Lilah. Buffy might not talk very much about Angel and the specifics of their relationship, but she’d rant to the high heavens on the topic of her mother-in-law. It was always amusing to watch the normally controlled Buffy work herself into a snit over Lilah’s thinly veiled barbs.

"Very well, I’ll be sure to leave before she arrives. Are Willow and Tara here as well?"

"Yes, they’re upstairs with Dawn, shall I get them?"

Anya thought for a minute. "No, I’d better speak with Buffy alone."

She entered the parlor where Buffy sat reading. She looked up, surprised at the sudden entrance.

"Anya, you startled me, I didn’t hear you come in. I’m expecting . . ."

"I know, Lilah. Fred told me all about it. Why do you even put up with her Buffy? Why don’t you just tell her you don’t want to see her again? You dread her visits, you hate the social events she makes you attend, and you have no obligations to her any longer. Tell her that her son was a womanizing mama’s boy and you’d prefer to never see a Crawford again."

Buffy almost laughed at the thought of Lilah’s face if she delivered such a speech. It would be almost worth the repercussions to see the shade of purple she’d turn.

"Thank you Anya, but you know I can’t do that. Besides, she only calls on me when she needs an extra person for her dinner parties or some charity work organized. She doesn’t come round that often."

Anya snorted. "Unlike that twit Parker. Did I tell you I had him tossed out last week? He tried to get rough with one of the girls. Quite a sick little bastard. That’s one client whose patronage I’m happy to lose. But that’s not why I’m here."

Buffy cocked her head to the side. "Dawn’s fine, I’ll go get her."

As she rose to leave the room, Anya caught her arm. "I do want to see her and Fred told me you’d found her a place, which I want to hear about, but there’s something I need to tell just you."

Buffy sat back down and looked at the concerned expression on Anya’s face that suddenly made her nervous. "Alright then, do tell."

Anya decided to just plunge right in with the bad news she’d come to deliver. "Last night, I had two new customers come in while you were there. Buffy, one of them saw you and heard your name."

Buffy nodded. "William Montgomery and his partner Xander . . . oh dear, I don’t recall his last name, but it was them, right?"

Anya looked baffled and slightly deflated to have her announcement received so nonchalantly. "Yes, did you see them there? Aren’t you concerned?"

"No, William and I already discussed it this morning and reached an understanding." She tried to hide her smirk as she watched Anya’s shocked expression.

"This morning? Then he found you last night? Buffy, did you . . . ?"

Buffy’s smirk turned into a confused frown. "He was looking for me last night? And did I what?"

Anya perked back up. This was getting interesting. "Buffy, he thought you were one of my girls. He specifically asked for you for the night. Of course I told him you weren’t available and tried to give him Francine, but he actually walked out. Paid her and did nothing. So he found you? And you . . ."

Buffy gasped, suddenly clear on where Anya’s mind had gone. "No Anya, we most certainly did not," she replied, her tone almost frosty.

Her head was spinning as she processed Anya’s comments. He’d asked for her last night? Out of all the beautiful girls who worked for Anya?

She knew he’d played with her this morning, making that joke about an offer, but she hadn’t thought that he . . . well she just hadn’t thought. She recalled the way he’d looked at her, wondering momentarily as she replayed the morning’s events if there had been genuine interest there, not just mild flirting to make her nervous after he’d discovered who she was. She dismissed the thought as a product of her overactive imagination and Anya’s need for compulsive matchmaking. He couldn’t possibly see her that way.

Anya wasn’t about to let this drop so easily. "But, you said you discussed it this morning . . ."

Buffy filled her in on Parker’s latest escapades, her early morning rescue mission and finally her agreement with Montgomery.

"So you’re going to work for him, just as a housekeeper?" Anya regarded Buffy with some skepticism.

Buffy nodded.

"Buffy, I’ve been around a bit. I know when men are interested and when they aren’t. And he was interested in you. And likely still is, you understand that?"

"Don’t be ridiculous, Anya. He just wants a housekeeper."

"Buffy, he made you an offer to be his mistress! I’m sure he could find a housekeeper if he wanted to, some ugly old bag with nothing to do but keep his house in tiptop shape. Instead he asks you, a woman he’d just been ready to give a house to. I imagine he’s more interested in you being in his bed than making sure it’s made properly."

She rolled her eyes. "Anya, no offense, but I think he thought I was some poor widow there to throw myself at him. That offer was him being polite, in a twisted sort of way. I’m hardly the type of woman someone would want as a mistress."

Anya wondered what exactly it would take to open Buffy’s eyes. It was clear William was in pursuit of her and she seemed quite oblivious. He found her attractive, he wanted her around, but he wasn’t pushing to bed her, at least not so blatantly as to cause Buffy to run for the door. But hiring her as his housekeeper? One did not hire ladies from good families like Buffy to do that sort of thing. What was he after? Suddenly it was clear as a bell. Anya clapped her hands together with glee.

"Buffy, you’re right! He wouldn’t want to make you his mistress. You are a bit prissy for that and obviously a lady. But have you thought he might be interested in something more legitimate? Like marriage?"

Buffy wrinkled her brow. "Marriage? To me?"

Anya nodded fervently. "Yes! He’s obviously in the market for a wife, he’s been attending all the right parties for a man who’s ready to settle down, based on the gossip I’ve heard. He wants to establish himself in the city, what better way than to settle down with a nice local girl? And you’d be perfect, good family, very ladylike, and he clearly finds you attractive."

Buffy found her collar seemed to be growing tighter as Anya rambled on about the virtues of a match with William and tugged at the tight band of lace. Marry her? He might be assessing her as a wife? Of course that made a bit of sense, with the whole housekeeper bit being an odd sort of audition to see if she could manage his large household. An odd sort of courtship, but more practical than the moonlight and magnolias of last time, which hadn’t worked out so well. And he was somewhat charming and very handsome and there was that strange spark she’d felt when he touched her and . . .

She practically leapt off the sofa. What was she thinking? A slight show of interest from a man who didn’t ooze slime like Parker and she was practically swooning. Hadn’t she learned anything the last time around? Damn Anya and her flights of fancy.

"Anya. Don’t be ridiculous. Mr. Montgomery just needs a bit of assistance at the moment with his staff and happens to have something that I need as well. Besides, I’m sure if he’s looking for a bride, he’ll not be wanting a widow. And the last thing I need is to be married again. I am entirely content with my life as it is."

Anya shrugged, her expression showing she was unconvinced. "Whatever you say, Buffy. I know two things very well, men and money. And that man wanted you last night, one way or the other. And you don’t have to marry him, you know. You could always consider a discreet arrangement that would be mutually beneficial to you both, if you’d just be a little less rigid. After all, you wouldn’t be hurting anyone."

"Anya, I can’t do . . ." Buffy gestured wildly for the polite term and came up blank, "that."

"If you say so. I understand why you don’t wish to marry again, Buffy, I know it can be burdensome. But there must be times when you get lonely. I suspect Montgomery could provide you with some intense physical gratification, if you would allow it. He looked as though he could be quite talented. And based on my assessment of the tight trousers he was wearing last night, I believe he’s well-endowed as well. It could be a pleasant arrangement for you both."

Buffy turned red. "Anya!" She reached for the small beaded pillow and buried her head. "Please stop."

Anya laughed, "Fine, little miss innocent. You’d think you’d never been married and I was defiling your virgin ears."

+++

Fred peered out the window at the horse in front. That wasn’t Miss Lilah, she always brought the carriage. She pulled the curtain a bit wider. Oh, it was the new gentleman, Mr. Montgomery, the one little Dawn was to work for. She glanced to the side into the parlor where Miss Buffy was still in deep conversation with Anya. She hated to interrupt, but he would be knocking any minute now.

She rapped softly on the door. "Miss Buffy, Mr. Montgomery is outside."

Buffy almost jumped and colored heavily. Speak of the devil and there he was. Well, he already knew about her friendship with Anya, it could hardly hurt for her to stay. Unless she decided to start with this ridiculous nonsense she’d been spouting again. Anya did have a tendency to say whatever was on her mind at the moment. She gave her friend a determined look and mouthed, "Not a word about this in front of him," before raising her voice and turning back to Fred.

"Send him in. It’s alright Fred, he knows Anya and I are friends," she clarified at Fred’s confused expression.

+++

As the knock sounded in the hallway, Fred smoothed her skirts and opened the door. "Good afternoon, Mr. Montgomery."

"Good afternoon, and you are?"

Fred giggled, and dropped a brief curtsey, "Winifred, sir, though most call me Fred."

William smiled at the slight girl. So this was one of Buffy’s projects, eh? He wondered if the house was full of them, he’d be willing to wager it was. He turned to find Buffy standing in the doorway to the parlor.

"Good afternoon Mr. Montgomery, would you care to join us?"

As he stripped off his gloves and handed them along with his hat to Fred, who disappeared down the hallway, he shook his head at her.

"Now, now, luv, I thought we agreed you’d call me William."

He stopped short in the doorway as he realized she already had company, none other than Madam Anya herself. He had to give it to this Buffy, she was not predictable in the slightest. Sneaking around trying to recover her horse on her own, rescuing ladies of the night and entertaining a whore in her parlor. And managing to look very dignified the entire time. He had to admit, he was quite impressed. He composed the grin he knew was threatening his face as he stepped forward to take Anya’s hand.

"How do you do, Madam Anya." He dropped a small kiss on her hand before turning to Buffy. "And you of course look well, Miss Buffy." He took her hand and gave her another one of those lingering caresses as she tried desperately to recover her thoughts and ignore Anya’s smirking face over William’s shoulder.

William winked at her as he released her hand, knowing he’d riled her just a little more before taking the seat she indicated.

Buffy reseated herself and took a deep breath to recover her composure. "Mr. Montgomery, how can we help you today?"

"William, my dear, William. I simply wanted to stop by and speak with you just a moment about tomorrow, I realized we’d forgotten to clarify a few details." He stopped, remembering that he’d agreed to confidentiality about their arrangement and Anya was clearly listening with avid ears.

Buffy noticed his consternation. "William, I’ve spoken with Anya about our agreement. It’s fine."

"Wonderful, I just wanted to know what time you’d be coming in the mornings. I’d like for us to breakfast together each day so that we could go over household details, you could catch me up on the staff, and so forth."

As he saw her open her mouth to protest, he hurried on. "It would really be most convenient for me that way, I have so little free time now, what with working on the shipping company."

"But I could just leave you reports. Yes, very detailed written reports on your desk, daily."

William shook his head. "But sometimes the written word just can’t convey the same message now can it? And domestic matters can be so delicate."

Buffy watched him closely. He looked innocent enough, but there was something, the ghost of a smirk they made her suspicious of his motives. Probably just Anya’s insane suggestions. "Very well, William, I’ll be prepared to report to you each morning."

"Excellent. Well, now that business is taken care of, I apologize, Miss Anya, for being so rude."

Anya shook her head, clearly fascinated by these two. Buffy was blind if she couldn’t see what William was after. This whole thing was just a blatant excuse to be around her.

"Not at all. It’s so nice to see you again, and I do apologize for last night. I’m sorry that Francine wasn’t quite up to your standards." She almost laughed as she watched his eyes flicker to Buffy who had developed a strong fascination with the fringe on the pillow she was holding in her lap as soon as Anya mentioned the brothel.

He cleared his throat. "Yes, about that. Quite sorry to leave so unexpectedly. Had some pressing paperwork that I’d forgotten about that I had to attend to right away. Francine was a lovely girl, I hope you won’t hold her accountable. She was most gracious."

Buffy was certain she could not tear her eyes away from the fringe on the pillow if her life depended on it. She could not believe the conversation these two were having, these things just weren’t talked about in public. Well, unless you were friends with Anya, she thought as she recalled their earlier conversation. Should she try to change the topic? Would that be too obvious? Too late, Anya was barreling on.

"No, she explained the situation. However, my offer is still good, since I wasn’t able to find someone that worked for you. Visit us again, any night, no charge. Would you say that blondes are where your interests lie, petite, green eyes?"

Anya all but laughed watching him fight the urge to look over at Buffy as she described the woman now clutching the pillow in her lap. "Miss Anya, I think that sounds very nice, but perhaps we could discuss this in another setting. I would not care to offend Miss Buffy."

Anya nodded her understanding, but moved on casually in the same vein. "And Mr. Harris, was he pleased with the visit?"

William nodded, ready now to turn the tables on the madam. He’d heard all about Xander’s fascination with Anya this morning. "Why yes he was. Though I don’t believe that the young lady you paired him with was exactly the type of women he’s most interested in either."

"Oh?" Anya tried to keep her voice normal as she felt a small flutter of nervousness.

"Yes, but I do believe there was one girl who caught his eye that he’ll be back to see. He was very smitten with her." William arched an eyebrow as he watched the girl in question flush a bit.

Anya swallowed hard. Did he mean her? Or someone else? Well, flattering as it might be if he was interested in her, he wouldn’t be the first man. And if it wasn’t her, well, she’d just be glad that there wouldn’t be some sort of complication with him, really she would. She glanced at the clock on the mantel. Look at the time, she probably should be leaving now.

"That’s wonderful, Mr. Montgomery. I do hope to see you both back very soon, I’d love for you to become regular customers. My, but it’s getting late, I’d best be off. Buffy, I’ll be back soon to see about Dawn, alright?"

Buffy nodded and rose from the couch as William stood while Anya hastily moved to the door, calling her good-byes. It was nice to see someone throw Anya a little off balance for a change. She gently replaced the much abused pillow and snuck a peek out of the corner of her eye at him. Was he going to leave now as well?

They both stood for a minute, silently gazing at each other before she softly sank back down and he followed. Buffy remained mute, waiting for him to say something, anything.

"Miss Anya’s rather forthright. I take it she’s always like that."

Buffy smiled. "That’s safe to say. She doesn’t really care to beat around the bush about things."

They sat in silence again, watching the other and both were startled when Fred appeared in the doorway.

"Miss Buffy, Mrs. Crawford is here."

Buffy jumped up and smoothed her skirt, running a hand over her hair to make sure there were no stray hairs. William watched the almost unconscious grooming as she readied herself. She glanced over at him and suddenly blanched.

"William, you need to leave, now, before she sees you here!"

He raised an eyebrow at her making little shooing motions with her hands. He was hardly leaving now, this looked as though it was about to get interesting. He motioned with his head and Buffy swiveled to find Lilah standing in the doorway.

"Elizabeth my dear, how are you? And you have a gentleman caller. How nice that you have . . . company. Who is this young man? I don’t believe we’ve been introduced."

Her tone was exceedingly polite with just enough of an undercurrent of innuendo that for a moment he felt as though he’d been caught in flagrante delicitio with Buffy, wrapped in some sort of passionate embrace in the middle of her parlor. He swallowed, not a mental image he needed at the moment, lest he raise Mrs. Crawford’s suspicions even further. He stepped forward as Buffy remained mute.

"You must be Mrs. Crawford. The other Mrs. Crawford was just telling me she was expecting you. I’m William Montgomery, I’ve had the pleasure of meeting your husband and your son, I had no idea I’d missed the true gem of the family."

Lilah smiled at his smooth tone. She’d known exactly who he was, but his flattery was welcomed nonetheless. "Why Mr. Montgomery, what a surprise to find you here with Elizabeth. I was planning to call at your home after visiting with my dear daughter-in-law. I had an invitation to extend to you."

She opened her bag and handed him a small card to a dinner party the Crawfords would be hosting in a few weeks time. She extended a second card to Buffy, who took the card and motioned for Lilah to sit on the couch with her.

"I hope you’ll both be able to attend."

Elizabeth nodded. She hated these things but always felt as though she had to be present when Lilah requested it, least people suspect there had been problems in the family. William watched as she affirmed her attendance, his decision made.

"I’d be delighted to attend as well, Mrs. Crawford."

"Oh, please, you must call me Lilah. Now tell me, how did you meet our little shy violet here, William? She’s been so heartbroken since her Angel died she’s rarely gotten out." Lilah brought a snow-white handkerchief to her eyes and dabbed carefully as she mentioned Angel. "I think Elizabeth will always mourn his memory."

Buffy opened her mouth, looking stricken as she tried to come up with a plausible story. Before she could begin, William was answering the question.

"Miss Elizabeth’s horse apparently got away from her and came into my hands. I learned it was hers and wanted to notify her I had the animal so that she won’t be concerned."

Buffy goggled. That was all technically true, yet incredibly vague and hardly something Lilah could object to, it sounded entirely innocent.

"Well, that was certainly kind of you, William. You must be grateful Elizabeth."

Buffy found her voice. "Yes, it was most kind of Mr. Montgomery to let me know about Gordian. I would hate for anything to happen to him." She tried to switch the subject away from William and his presence. "How have you been, Lilah? Are you in town for long?"

"A few days at most. Just needed to begin arrangements for the party, then I’ll be back to Crawford Place." She looked closely at Buffy. "You’re not coming down with anything are you, dear, you look so pale and washed out. Perhaps you should come out and stay a few days. I know Holland and Parker would be delighted to have your company again and you could help me with the arrangements for the party."

"No, I feel fine, thank you for asking and for the invitation. I really can’t leave Willow at the moment, however."

William watched the negative energy between the women with fascination before he broke the glare the two women were exchanging by standing. "Mrs. Crawford, thank you for the invitation. As I mentioned, I had the honor of meeting your husband just the other day, quite a businessman. I look forward to the occasion." He turned and gave Elizabeth a brief bow. "I’ll take my leave now, thank you for your time, Miss Elizabeth. I’ll make arrangements for the horse tomorrow, as we agreed."

Lilah gathered her skirts as she stood as well. "I hate to not have more time with you dear, but I really must go as well if I’m to finish these calls today."

Buffy thanked them both politely and watched at they walked down the short front path, Lilah laughing throatily at some remark William had made. As she shut the front door and made her way back to the parlor and collapsed on the sofa, her last thought was, "What have I gotten myself into?"